What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best $100 you’ve spent (1 Viewer)

Cjw_55106

Footballguy
Today my dad asked if he could use my floor jack. As I was getting it out of the garage, I thought, this was one of the best things I’ve ever bought. The difference between having this vs the crap the cars come with is like the difference between a fine dining and McDonald’s. 

That got me to thinking, hookers and blow aside, what’s the best thing you ever spent $100 or less on? 

Me ol' Ma has a cackling laugh. She also has weird taste in movies - very conservative Catholic, but every now & again falls in love with very offbeat flix like Fargo.

One time, in the 70s, her sister took her to the movies & they saw a flick she would never see on her own - Dog Day Afternoon - and couldnt stop talking about it. I offered to take her again but she didn't want to go cuz she laughed too much and didnt like the idea of her cackle drawing too much attention.

Those days, there werent VCRs yet, no way to watch a film at home. Instead, what they had was "2nd run" theaters - once a movie had its run, it would move to theaters where you could see it, sometimes as part of a double feature even, for a buck.

The local 2nd-run theater got Dog Day Afternoon in November, month of my mother's birthday, That gave me an idea. Went down to the theater & asked the manager how much it would cost to rent his theater for a showing of DDA. $285, he says (285 seats, $285). Too much.

Twas then i invoked The Power of the Mallard. Snatched the crispiest of $100 bills (a month's rent then) out my billfold. November 12th, middle of the week, i sez. You're already showing it @ 7 & 9. Show it @ 5, too, nobody's the wiser, money in your pocket.....

He went for it, Me & Da & sis took Ma to a late lunch and the four of us re-watched Al Pacino & weirdos & scaredos & transos tie up the Borough of Brooklyn with their heated  hijinx for an afternoon, me Ma free to cackle all she pleased. She's 94yo now & still talks about it.

PLay yard for my kid.  Having a kid when you are mid 30s is rough, but that play yard really balances out his desire to play and run around and my lack of desire to chase him.  

He can safely play with his toys inside the play yard while I sit in a chair and drink beer like a responsible parent.  

edit...................he is now big enough to basically jump over the play yard, but it was a fantastic past 14 months or so leading up to this point.

Today my dad asked if he could use my floor jack. As I was getting it out of the garage, I thought, this was one of the best things I’ve ever bought. The difference between having this vs the crap the cars come with is like the difference between a fine dining and McDonald’s. 

That got me to thinking, hookers and blow aside, what’s the best thing you ever spent $100 or less on? 
Fed a village of near-starving people for a month.

But hey, that jack sounds sweet, too!   :thumbup:

Sirius XACT -- XTR3

Broadcasts to the car antenna on FM 86.9 or something, and has an audio out with full stereo capability. Six bands with six presets available (all of which I have loaded.) 

Paid $40 for it ten years ago and it's still running strong.

:banned:

We should start a thread on $100 we wish we worlda spent.

I'll start, I wish I woulda bought some quality dank when I graduated college to celebrate.

Best $100 tool in the garage. Seems like I’m always using it for something and the design is simple and quick to interchange ends and speeds. 
The 12V system is actually pretty good for lots of applications. I have the 12V drill and impact for most easy tasks, and then I have a 20V SDS Plus for anything bigger.

Oh and a bigger 20V impactor to torque ish down, but I rarely use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
$99 handtruck from Costco. Bought it a week before we had to move. Quality handtruck and I've had it for 3 years now. It really comes in handy being a home owner.
Bought one of these last month on sale for $79.99. I believe it's a 3 in 1.

Johnny Bing said:
Best $100 tool in the garage. Seems like I’m always using it for something and the design is simple and quick to interchange ends and speeds. 
In a previous life we used cordless drills so much I bought Dewalts for the crew along with holsters to keep them at hand. Still swear by them though I finally burned mine out and went with Porter Cable--just as substantial in a smaller size.. Still own my old Dewalt corded drill for the heavy lifting. I believe they are owned by B&D.  

Users who are viewing this thread