What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 rookie pick 1.02 pre combine (Closed) (1 Viewer)

TE premium scoring leagues

• Derrius Guice

Votes: 48 60.0%
  • Ronald Jones II

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Nick Chubb

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Calvin Ridley

• Anthony Miller

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • James Washington

• Sony Michel

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Kerryon Johnson

• Mark Andrews

• Dallas Goedert

• Josh Rosen

• Baker Mayfield

• Mike Gesicki

• Dont play in this format

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other (please post who you voted for so that player can be added to the next poll)

• Total voters

Biabreakable

Footballguy
The purpose of these polls is to get an idea of who the majority of voters prefer at a specific pick in a rookie draft. These drafts assume that all 2018 rookie players are available. For the 2QB poll there may be some variance in scoring. Some may be standard, others PPR. I think a lot of 2QB leagues may involve IDP as well so these differences are not accounted for here. Only looking at the offensive skill players in the two most common formats and also 2QB leagues, to get a sense of where the QB are valued relative to other positions, when there is actually scarcity at the QB position.

If a player isn't listed that you would vote for please vote other and then post the name of the player that you voted for so that player can be added to the next poll.

I haven't watched enough players yet to have a list, so I will populate the polls based off of Zyphros overall list and Hankmoodys tiers for now. Suggestions of players to add helpful.

Another nice list compiled by miqws that looks good for populating the poll.

Discussion welcome.Thanks for voting.

Results

Standard

Sanquon Barkley 94.3% with 71 votes

Derrius Guice 79.5% with with 76 votes

PPR

Sanquon Barkley 97.4% with 71 votes

Derrius Guice 78% with 76 votes

2 QB

Sanquon Barkley 75.7% with 71 votes

Derrius Guice 30.1% with 76 votes

TE Premium

Sanquon Barkley 82.9% with 71 votes

Derrius Guice 61.6% with 76 votes

Poll 1.03 can be found here

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for doing these.  They were a great resource for me last year.

Edit: Guice.

Guice in standard, RoJo in ppr, 2QB, and TE premium, even though I expect to be in the minority there.  Also I assume the 2QB and TE premium are PPR?  I'm voting according to that. 

Really appreciate you doing these again, even if you got my name wrong  :P

Guice in standard, RoJo in ppr, 2QB, and TE premium, even though I expect to be in the minority there.  Also I assume the 2QB and TE premium are PPR?  I'm voting according to that. 

I assumed standard for 2QB and TEpremium since not specified.  I think Bia acknowledged that would be an unavoidable complication.

I agree with you on Guice in standard, RoJo in ppr.  I think the deep and top-heavy RB group may bring the QBs into play as early as 1.2 in 2QB leagues though.  Same argument is used to advocate letting RBs slip in the real draft:  easier than usual to get a good one later.  I think in many years, Guice at 1.2 is as much a lock as Barkley at 1.1, but not necessarily in this draft.

Is Guice overrated?
I think so, everyone talks about this angry runner all the time and I see a guy who is powerful but not to the extent of a guy like Fournette.  He's still pretty damn good but overrated a little.  

I assumed standard for 2QB and TEpremium since not specified.  I think Bia acknowledged that would be an unavoidable complication.

I agree with you on Guice in standard, RoJo in ppr.  I think the deep and top-heavy RB group may bring the QBs into play as early as 1.2 in 2QB leagues though.  Same argument is used to advocate letting RBs slip in the real draft:  easier than usual to get a good one later.  I think in many years, Guice at 1.2 is as much a lock as Barkley at 1.1, but not necessarily in this draft.
To each their own.  It is unavoidable due to not wanting to have 6-8 different poll questions so I understand.  All my 2QB leagues are PPR, but I still wouldn't take a QB over any of the top5 RB's.  And I see some of them have votes already which shocks me.  The biggest thing for me is landing spot for the QB's and my leagues are 10 team so it deflates QB value a bit compared to a 12/14 team league with 2QB.  So maybe my bias is there to persuade me from not taking a QB in the top5.  

League size is huge...I thought these polls assumed a 12-team standard.

Get up to 16-teams, and QBs start to earn ADPs in line with many superflexes.  Positional scarcity bites hard at that point.  So I do think a 10-team assumption would lower QB value noticably.  I'd easily take Guice here over a QB in a 10-teamer.

My bad just a typo. fixed.

The links didn't carry over from the first post. I decided to use the other gathered list to populate the poll now anyways.

I should likely watch some more of these players so I might have an idea on who to vote for. 

League size is huge...I thought these polls assumed a 12-team standard.

Get up to 16-teams, and QBs start to earn ADPs in line with many superflexes.  Positional scarcity bites hard at that point.  So I do think a 10-team assumption would lower QB value noticably.  I'd easily take Guice here over a QB in a 10-teamer.
Yes this assumes the most common format of 12 teams and likely 24-26 roster spots which would differ from leagues that have tighter benches and become more similar to redraft leagues as a result of that.

Am I in so much of an extreme minority to want Rashaad Penny right here?
I've seen people have Penny as high as RB4 but I don't think I've seen him at 2 yet.  I can understand voting for him, but I imagine you can likely land him mid-late 1st pretty easily in most rookie drafts so if you plan on drafting him early, I don't see the need in trading up to 1.02 to get that done.  

That's the FBGs consensus all right.  Not sure it is correct however.
I'm not sure either because there are still a lot of players I haven't watched yet.

He is the 2nd best RB to Barkley that I have watched so far is all I can say right now.

Would love to hear your thoughts.
My thoughts are that Ronald Jones II and Sony Michel looks as good or better than Darius Guice.  That's what my eyes tell me, especially with Michel.

My thoughts are that Ronald Jones II and Sony Michel looks as good or better than Darius Guice.  That's what my eyes tell me, especially with Michel.
Does Michel's age bother you?  I would agree that Michel looked as good as a healthy Guice. But doesn't it say something that a 19 YO Guice looked as good as a 22 YO Michel?  

I honestly don't love the 1.02-1.05  range this year.  Where I own the 1.02, Guice is my guy at the moment, but I don't love the value.  I think the value in this class is the 1.01 and then 1.08ish - mid 3rd.  

Does Michel's age bother you?  I would agree that Michel looked as good as a healthy Guice. But doesn't it say something that a 19 YO Guice looked as good as a 22 YO Michel?  

I honestly don't love the 1.02-1.05  range this year.  Where I own the 1.02, Guice is my guy at the moment, but I don't love the value.  I think the value in this class is the 1.01 and then 1.08ish - mid 3rd.  
Actually they are 2 years and 4 months apart.  That does matter in dynasty leagues, but if anyone thinks Michel is head and shoulders better than Guice, then you can't let 2 years get in the way.  If you don't feel that way about Michel and you prefer Guice over Ronald Jones II, then Guice is your man.  He just isn't my man.

Actually they are 2 years and 4 months apart.  That does matter in dynasty leagues, but if anyone thinks Michel is head and shoulders better than Guice, then you can't let 2 years get in the way.  If you don't feel that way about Michel and you prefer Guice over Ronald Jones II, then Guice is your man.  He just isn't my man.
Good point.  Even though I lean Guice, I would say all 3 are on the same tier right now.  I'm really loving Kerryon lately, and might even put him in that tier as well.  

I may be in minority but I really believe Ronald Jones II is vastly underrated...  Who I think may be better than Guice after completing a rookie contract (1st or 2nd round). 

I may be in minority but I really believe Ronald Jones II is vastly underrated...  Who I think may be better than Guice after completing a rookie contract (1st or 2nd round). 
Even though I like Jones II I don't see him as underrated.  If anything he is slightly overrated, because he is ranked ahead of Sony Michel in a lot of rankings.

Even though I like Jones II I don't see him as underrated.  If anything he is slightly overrated, because he is ranked ahead of Sony Michel in a lot of rankings.
Can you elaborate your thought on Jones being slightly overrrated?  I will admit that Jones does have flaws, which say the same for every draft prospect including Sony Michel.  Ranking is purely subjective in every NFL team scouting and draft expert.  Perhaps, we should take this conversation to stand-alone topic for Ronald Jones. 

Aznflyer14 said:
Can you elaborate your thought on Jones being slightly overrrated?  I will admit that Jones does have flaws, which say the same for every draft prospect including Sony Michel.  Ranking is purely subjective in every NFL team scouting and draft expert.  Perhaps, we should take this conversation to stand-alone topic for Ronald Jones. 
I think Jones and Michel are very very close.  The only reason I think he's just slightly overrated is because he's being rated either #2 or # 3, mostly #3, ahead of Michel. I'm not sure at this time who I like better between Jones and Michel, but one thing I know for sure is that I like both more than Guice.

I think Jones and Michel are very very close.  The only reason I think he's just slightly overrated is because he's being rated either #2 or # 3, mostly #3, ahead of Michel. I'm not sure at this time who I like better between Jones and Michel, but one thing I know for sure is that I like both more than Guice.
Why?

I have watched 12 games of Guice and 5 games of Michel.

If I pro rate Michels 5 games to 10 he would end up with about 400 total points. Guice 592 points. Significantly more instances of good traits being demonstrated by Guice in comparison to Michel.

The best game for Michel I have charted was against Kentucky in 2016. he gets 70 total points in my charting for this game. Do you know of a better game than this for me to watch?

For context Guice has a game where I charted 105 instances of showing positive traits in this game. His next best two games are 69 against Ole Miss 2017 and 68 against Arkanas 2016, So 2 other games similar to the same level as Michels best game I have seen so far.

I have only charted 3 games for Ronald Jones so far. He does have two 64 point games. So close to Michels best game in those. Jones didn't do too well against Ohio State which likely surprises no one. Still 36 points isn't as bad as some of the clunker games like Michel against Auburn 2017 and only 11 points.

Why?

I have watched 12 games of Guice and 5 games of Michel.

If I pro rate Michels 5 games to 10 he would end up with about 400 total points. Guice 592 points. Significantly more instances of good traits being demonstrated by Guice in comparison to Michel.

The best game for Michel I have charted was against Kentucky in 2016. he gets 70 total points in my charting for this game. Do you know of a better game than this for me to watch?

For context Guice has a game where I charted 105 instances of showing positive traits in this game. His next best two games are 69 against Ole Miss 2017 and 68 against Arkanas 2016, So 2 other games similar to the same level as Michels best game I have seen so far.

I have only charted 3 games for Ronald Jones so far. He does have two 64 point games. So close to Michels best game in those. Jones didn't do too well against Ohio State which likely surprises no one. Still 36 points isn't as bad as some of the clunker games like Michel against Auburn 2017 and only 11 points.
Perhaps it was because he was banged up, but to me Guice didn't look as good as Michel last year.  Details about both players have already been discussed extensively, so now it's more about the eye test.   I'm a SEC guy so I watch a lot of SEC games and to me Michel looks like he will be a better pro.  Obviously this could be moot when both make good pros.

JohnnyU said:
Perhaps it was because he was banged up, but to me Guice didn't look as good as Michel last year.  Details about both players have already been discussed extensively, so now it's more about the eye test.   I'm a SEC guy so I watch a lot of SEC games and to me Michel looks like he will be a better pro.  Obviously this could be moot when both make good pros.
Huh well yes Guice was hurt for a good chunk of the 2017 season. His best game from 2017 was against Ole Miss which from my charting yeilded 69 which is about the same as Michels best game of 70 against Kentucky.

I was hoping you might be able to point out a game of Michels that I may not have seen.

Part of this may be affected by Michel splitting time with Chubb, but I dunno as Guice had to split time with Fournette in 2016 and still had his best game I have charted in 2016 anyways.

I would like to chart 5 more games for Michel if I can find some more games of his to watch. 

Users who are viewing this thread