What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

90s Movie Poll - 1999 The countdown has started! (1 Viewer)

gump is a really well crafted, told and acted movie- I can recognize that and accept people liking it a lot.

my dislike for it came from feeling like it came out in the middle of a cluster of story-telling cliche movies of using simple/broken/disabled people who actually were superhumans to tell a story to make me the viewer feel humanity. felt disingenuous not letting these people just be simple/broken/disabled AND human. they had to have superpowers to convince the viewers. but I wish to hell I could remember the others that fell in this cluster... I just remember walking out of Gump and think "bleh" and being surprised at the outpouring of love for it from fellow viewers walking out of the theater.
I have been thinking about this post all day, and I get where you are coming from and couldn't quite place any other specific movies since my memory is crap.  Don't remember the exact plotlines, but stuff like At First Sight, Powder, Simon Birch, The Mighty came to mind that I think were mid-late 90s movies.  Right along side of them were one article I read called the "magic black person" movies like The Green Mile and The Legend of Bagger Vance that seemed to irritate a lot of people.   

Oh man, I looked up a couple random years in the 70s, and I am doubting my abilities to put a decent top 10 list together for these years.  :bag:

ETA:  maybe 1980-2009 might be the better range with a 70s and 60s decade poll.  

Last edited by a moderator:
KarmaPolice said:
How about over the weekend everybody that submitted a list answer these questions and we can see what the majority might want:

1.  Would you rather have a random order, so go backwards through the years in order?

2.  What decades would you participate in an individual year poll for?  00s, 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s?  

I do like Ilov80s' idea of maybe doing a full decade one for the classics if people aren't hip to doing a year by year there.  Ie - one poll for all of the 60s somehow.  
1. No preference

2. I would participate in all years

krista4 said:
Gump has consistently made my top ten list of movies that were critically praised and/or loved by most and I absolutely ####### hated.  Despised.  Is there a word more forceful than "hate" or "despise"?  If so, that's how I feel about it. :hot:  
may not be more forceful, but thought of this

Oh man, I looked up a couple random years in the 70s, and I am doubting my abilities to put a decent top 10 list together for these years.  :bag:

No way.  There are a couple of years in the 60s and 70s that are arguably the best in the history of cinema.  You just march yourself out there and watch yourself some more movies, young man.   :grad:

ETA:  And I don't care if you go back in time year-by-year or go randomly.  Happy either way.

ETA2:  Or reduce the number of required movies from the 60s and 70s to five each year or somesuch.

I like Gump, Magnolia, and American Beauty. I think they're all fine -- if not great -- films. Man, am I unpopular around here.  

eta* tough crowd

KarmaPolice said:
BTW, I watched eXistenZ last night, and it was more ####ed up than I remembered it being.  

Is it one of those things where Hollywood hears of a general idea for a movie in a year and just pass it around or something?  For 1999we had The Matrix, The Thirteenth Floor, and eXistenZ.   In 1998 we had Armageddon and Deep Impact, and there are other examples of movies that just have a general similar feel doubling up in other years.  
Almost added a point for existenz to my list.  Some movies, I can just close my eyes and almost re-watch them.  That one, I have vivid memories of.

No way. 70’s is awesome for movies. Just don’t require a 10 minimum.  

KarmaPolice said:
How about over the weekend everybody that submitted a list answer these questions and we can see what the majority might want:

1.  Would you rather have a random order, so go backwards through the years in order?

2.  What decades would you participate in an individual year poll for?  00s, 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s?  

I do like Ilov80s' idea of maybe doing a full decade one for the classics if people aren't hip to doing a year by year there.  Ie - one poll for all of the 60s somehow.  
I like individual still for the 1970s. Could do decade for the 60s (but may be able to do five years groupings to split in half, as there is still a lot of good 60s stuff).

I’d participate probably back to the 1930s on a decade basis, and then if we grouped all silents together before that.

KarmaPolice said:

1. Don't really care and it won't effect my enjoyment either way, but if I had to pick random seems more fun.

2. In my younger days I watched a ton of movies so i can probably do any year as long as i can find a list. But for the average movie guy, going into the 60s is probably a stretch. Maybe each year of the 80s and 90s and then, break the 70s into 2 five year periods or something like that and then the decade of the 60s?

Although,  the 70s was awesome to be honest. 

I would do most years from the 80s onward. Not sure about the 70s. I'd be happy with covering all of the 60s in one go.

Random would be cool, but anything is fine.

I like Gump, Magnolia, and American Beauty. I think they're all fine -- if not great -- films. Man, am I unpopular around here.  

eta* tough crowd
I enjoyed Forrest Gump. I especially liked how pieces of history were woven through it. Magnolia was ok. I might would like it better with a second viewing. I liked American Beauty.

eta* tough crowd
I gave American Beauty one of my top scores and Magnolia just behind. They are excellent movies imo.

I gave American Beauty one of my top scores and Magnolia just behind. They are excellent movies imo.
I don't remember a lot about Magnolia. I know I rented it, and didn't see it in the theater. I remember the feeling of being disappointed, but I'm not sure if it was because of the story or if I dozed during it and missed parts. 

I don't remember a lot about Magnolia. I know I rented it, and didn't see it in the theater. I remember the feeling of being disappointed, but I'm not sure if it was because of the story or if I dozed during it and missed parts. 
It's a very odd movie so I can easily see how someone wouldn't like it. I just happened to see it when I was 19 or 20, smoking lots of weed and specifically looking for movies like 2001 or Fear and Loathing. Magnolia just struck the right chord at the right time with me. 

No way.  There are a couple of years in the 60s and 70s that are arguably the best in the history of cinema.  You just march yourself out there and watch yourself some more movies, young man.   :grad:

ETA:  And I don't care if you go back in time year-by-year or go randomly.  Happy either way.

ETA2:  Or reduce the number of required movies from the 60s and 70s to five each year or somesuch.
I am not sure how familiar people are with movies before the 60s, but I would guess based on average age here, that we could at least do by decade for 50s and 40s. MaybeI am wrong though?

I would only be able to do 10-15 max from 70s and maybe 5-10 max from 60s but I would love to see other people's list as it would give me some interesting movies to watch.

I fully agree with the sentiments of shuke, krista, and others that the 70s and 60s have fantastic movies and there are a couple amazing years in there.  However, my concern would be for the overall poll process and the discussion in the thread if we go through the decade year by year.

Now keep in mind that I just scanned 2 random years in the 70s and that I consider myself to be above average for the FFA in terms of how many movies I've seen and how far back through the decades I try to watch movies.   I think I just looked at '78, and there were maybe 3-4 movies that I knew and loved (a couple horror movies of course), another couple I hated, and a scattering of others that I have seen.  So my reaction was based on me MAYBE being able to cobble together 10 movies, but if I felt that way the concern is that others do as well and we either won't get as many lists, or the lists will be so focused on a handful of movies it won't be very interesting.   This isn't like the 90s where I could make a list 50+ deep of movies I have seen. 

The reason that I was drawn to the 90s is because I assumed most would have seen a ton of movies and have to make tough choices on their list, or have seen so many that we have 25 different 30pt movies in a year like we did for 99 here.  Am I off in that I think the 70s might be dipping into the other territory in that we will have tons of lists with the 3-4 movies most have seen with 30pts each and minimum points to the others we have seen but maybe don't remember as much just to fill a list out.  Honestly don't know if only requiring 5 in a year will change that much.  IMO this concept only works when a lot of us have seen a lot of the movies and have differences in the movies we are passionate about and we can get to some of those gems that might have slipped through the cracks.  

That's why I was wondering if we do individual years for 1980-2009, and then like somebody said have a draft for the 50s, 60s, and maybe 70-74 and 75-79?   

Highest-grossing films of 1978
Rank    Title    Studio    Domestic gross
1.    Grease    Paramount Pictures    $159,978,870[1]
2.    Superman    Warner Bros.    $134,218,018[2]
3.    National Lampoon's Animal House    Universal Pictures    $120,091,123[3]
4.    Every Which Way but Loose    Warner Bros.    $85,196,485[4]
5.    Heaven Can Wait    Paramount Pictures    $81,640,278[5]
6.    Hooper    Warner Bros.    $78,000,000[6]
7.    Jaws 2    Universal Pictures    $77,737,272[7]
8.    Revenge of the Pink Panther    United Artists    $49,579,269[8]
9.    The Deer Hunter    Universal Pictures    $48,979,328[9]
10.    Halloween    Compass International    $47,000,000[10]

only 3 or 4 from just the top 10 list?  Grease, Superman, Animal House, Jaws 2, Pink Panther, Deer Hunter, Halloween all very good movies doesn't even include movies like the Whiz, Killer Tomatoes, Omen 2, and Up in smoke amongst others

I claim a BttF waiver on Gump. I hung out w Hanks before he was famous (his NYC roomie was my gf's brother) and knew his dream to live the American Dream on film and his character loved a pretty blonde who tried to #### molestation out of her heart & wasted away at a time my own pretty blonde who tried to #### molestation out of her heart was dying of cancer and making me feel retorted for not being able to stop it. Forrest Gump brings delicious, cleansing pain to my soul and i dont care what you think.

Here's the long and short of my argument:

This works a lot better if we get a lot of participants and most of said participants can start with a list of 30+ for the time frame of the poll and have to make cuts and decisions vs starting with 8 and scraping for a couple they might have seen. 

only 3 or 4 from just the top 10 list?  Grease, Superman, Animal House, Jaws 2, Pink Panther, Deer Hunter, Halloween all very good movies doesn't even include movies like the Whiz, Killer Tomatoes, Omen 2, and Up in smoke amongst others
and howzabout '74 and '76? wow - no shortage of classics to cull a list from (citing those 2 years as they are perhaps my favorites)

Coppola had himself a remarkable '74 - "Godfather II"  and  "The Conversation"    

:popcorn:

I am fully willing to concede that I am not up on the 70s like a lot of people are.  Seems like as I was getting into movies more I skipped it and dove into earlier black and whites. 

Like I said, i just scanned, but Halloween, Dawn of the Dead, and Deer Hunter are movies that would get top grades.  Couple others like Grease and Superman would get high marks just because I've seen them and like them for the most part.  I have learned that I don't find 70s comedies to be funny, so that takes a bit out, and I think you are proving my point when we are pretty quickly bringing up Jaws 2 and The wiz. ;)

and howzabout '74 and '76? wow - no shortage of classics to cull a list from (citing those 2 years as they are perhaps my favorites)

Coppola had himself a remarkable '74 - "Godfather II"  and  "The Conversation"    

:popcorn:
I see the same with 74.  3-4 epic all time movies at the top, a couple great horror movies, and then.... 

Maybe the lesson learned here is that I might not be the person to run the polls for the 70s.  :oldunsure:  

I see the same with 74.  3-4 epic all time movies at the top, a couple great horror movies, and then.... 

Maybe the lesson learned here is that I might not be the person to run the polls for the 70s.  :oldunsure:  
we just did '99 - how many epic/all-timers come outta that year?  yeah, there were some great flicks ('99) no doubt, but I think a recency bias is in effect here  :shrug:

we just did '99 - how many epic/all-timers come outta that year?  yeah, there were some great flicks ('99) no doubt, but I think a recency bias is in effect here  :shrug:
Agreed. It’s a mix of recency bias, nostalgia, the erosion of quality that happens to movies over time due to changing tastes and the entertainment industry’s affliction for overdoing anything that becomes remotely successful. I think 6th Sense, American Beauty, Matrix. Fight Club and Being John Malkovich were the 5 movies that might be considered classics from 99. I imagine 1 or 2 of those films likely only have a shelf life of another 10-20 years before they seem really outdated.

Agreed. It’s a mix of recency bias, nostalgia, the erosion of quality that happens to movies over time due to changing tastes and the entertainment industry’s affliction for overdoing anything that becomes remotely successful. I think 6th Sense, American Beauty, Matrix. Fight Club and Being John Malkovich were the 5 movies that might be considered classics from 99. I imagine 1 or 2 of those films likely only have a shelf life of another 10-20 years before they seem really outdated.
thanks for fleshing it out a bit more - spot on assessment  :thumbup:

I get what you are saying, but I don't think we are saying the same things. I am not saying that I started with the 90s because I believe that they are the better decade for movies or anything.  IMO it's not about recency bias, it's about sheer #s and familiarity for these years that will make the discussion interesting or not.   I would bet that if we have the participants in this thread list their all time favorite movies or list what they think the greatest movies ever are, it would probably start spreading out if not flat out slant to the classics (even mine).

Again, I could just be below average as far as # of movies watched in the 70s (or just younger than expected vs the field in here).  What makes the discussion in here lively isn't that we think that the movies of 1999 are better than 1974, it's that I think more people have seen a lot more from this year so we have odd titles popping up and 25 different top point getters.  I could be off, but I don't see that happening in the 70s, and my concern is the thread and the discussion could suffer because of it.   My initial guess was we either have a bit less than the 35 people who did this one or an even more concentrated list than we have here where the same 4-5 movies get all the top points if we go year by year through the 70s.  

Agree with all this, especially the movies that you point to that would probably be in contention from this year.   Are the 70s movies listed higher because of nostalgia for the critics that are getting older, are they measurably better movies than the top movies from 20 years later, is it a function of people having 20 more years of watching those movies so they are ingrained in the culture more?  Interesting discussion for sure.   

Also factored in is I purposely left out if these lists are people's favorites or what they think are the best (if there is a difference).   If I had to list he greatest movies ever or most influential, sure stuff like Godfather and Chinatown would be popping up.  If I am listing a desert island movie ranking, I am probably grabbing Fight Club over Chinatown for my island.  :shrug:  

Here's the long and short of my argument:

This works a lot better if we get a lot of participants and most of said participants can start with a list of 30+ for the time frame of the poll and have to make cuts and decisions vs starting with 8 and scraping for a couple they might have seen. 
Then don’t require a minimum. Ultimately this should be about discussing movies and discovering hidden gems.  Don’t get caught up in trying to make some perfect process. 

Then don’t require a minimum. Ultimately this should be about discussing movies and discovering hidden gems.  Don’t get caught up in trying to make some perfect process. 
:goodposting:  I might be the only one, but I'm not terribly interested in what "wins" these polls, but I've loved the discussion of people's favorites that might not have been on my radar.

It's not even about trying to have a perfect process, and I am just trying to gauge what will keep the interest level up if we are legit talking about doing 20-30 of these things.  I am probably taking it too seriously because it is a little bit of effort on my part, and I want to make it entertaining for the majority of people.  

Like you all are saying, this is about discussing and discovering gems.  It was just my opinion that those were going to be a lot more frequent in the years where the vast majority of people have seen dozens and dozens of movies from that year.  Otherwise it will just be like looking at a Rolling Stone list as people's list have the same 7-8 movies on it and there are just a few people discussing the off the radar picks.   So, IMO it's not going to be quite as interesting if that is the case or we only get 1/2 the entries.  Even NV said that the countdowns for albums work best if there are at least 20-25 lists.  

IMO the 60s are probably too much for a year by year draft, so I guess the debate is the 70s.  I could be in the minority that don't think I could contribute a whole lot if we do a year by year in the 70s, and that's fine - I just need to watch more or find some substance that will make me think a 70s comedy is funny. ;)   I am fine with whatever the majority seems to be on board with.  Just trying to discuss this before Monday since I was going to announce the next year we are going to do at the start of the week.  

KarmaPolice said:

1. Either is fine with me

2. I would do 00s thru 70s.  60s would be tougher (it would be a lot of James Bond and Godzilla movies for me)

My 1999 list

30 - Outside Providence

25 - The Matrix

20 - Go

20 - Office Space

15 - Fight Club

15 - The Mummy

15 - Deep Blue Sea

10 - Blair Witch Project

10 - South Park

7 - Stir of Echoes

7 - Galaxy Quest

7 - Dogma

5 - American Beauty

5 - Sixth Sense

5 - Austin Powers 2

2 - Being John Malkovich

2 - Pushing Tin

I’ll gladly help out and run some of these. I’m actually doing some research tonight (have a couple older movies that I had never seen lined to watch).

Users who are viewing this thread