What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

90s Movie Poll - 1999 The countdown has started! (1 Viewer)

@KarmaPolice

Also I think you could do 70s in 2 or 5 year increments.

Anyway, I would countdown 99-89-98-88-97-87 and complete those 2 decades if the interest stays high enough, then we can figure out the 70s. 
That's why I was asking about the poll.  Figured it would be easier for people to click if they want it individual years or 70-74 & 75-79 for the 70s,  and if we wanted a random or countdown style for others.  

Maybe we could increase the number of points we can allocate if we do a poll covering multiple years?
I thought that might have to be the case as well.  We could tweak the system somehow - maybe 2x the points and require at least 15 or 20 movies for a list if we are doing a whole decade.  

I just think there’s no need to worry now, see how it goes with 90s and 80s is all I’m saying 
Fair enough.  Just figured if we were dipping that far I would throw them in the randomizer, but yeah- this is a 2 year project as it is if we do 80s and 90s.  

I thought that might have to be the case as well.  We could tweak the system somehow - maybe 2x the points and require at least 15 or 20 movies for a list if we are doing a whole decade.  
I understand that some members want to share incredible movies that others might have missed. The one poll per year is great for that.

However, if we do start covering 5 years or a decade in a single poll, it would mean you could show your preference for movies my the same director. Godfather or Godfather II. Jaws or Close Encounters. Advantages to both.

But I guess the main goal will work either way - to highlight good movies.

I'm good with whatever really. 

If I had to list my personal top 10 movies of all time, I'm guessing 7 would be from the 70s and very early 80s might sneak 1 in. 

Fair enough.  Just figured if we were dipping that far I would throw them in the randomizer, but yeah- this is a 2 year project as it is if we do 80s and 90s.  
Just my 2 cents. I have no issue throwing in the 70s and randomizing year by year with the 80s and 90s. I wish I knew how to add a poll on an edited thread. Maybe add the poll to the thread for the next year we do.

I am that nerd. Sorry  :D
I was trying to think of nerdier ways to get people's underrated movies more likely to be on the countdown - you can give 1 movie 50pts, but if more than 2 people give it 50pts it drops down to 30.  So you aren't alone, and that just sounded like too much work.  

Whatever happens in the poll, there's no reason anyone can't mention a movie that missed out. With a review or why they think we might watch it.

Just my 2 cents. I have no issue throwing in the 70s and randomizing year by year with the 80s and 90s. I wish I knew how to add a poll on an edited thread. Maybe add the poll to the thread for the next year we do.
Again, it was more for my ADD and :nerd: factor that I was asking.   I just want to know what year I am watching movies for the next one. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So, back to the 99 discussion.  Am I the only one who ranked "Never Been Kissed" higher than "10 Things I Hate About You". 

(I have a thing for Drew Barrymore)

Whatever happens in the poll, there's no reason anyone can't mention a movie that missed out. With a review or why they think we might watch it.
This x1000.  I am not planning anything elaborate with the countdown.   Point totals, internet ratings for the movie, a comment if I have seen it or observation I remember from the lists?   I want any and all to feel free to chime in if that is their favorite on the year, why it's good/why it sucks, whatever...

So, back to the 99 discussion.  Am I the only one who ranked "Never Been Kissed" higher than "10 Things I Hate About You". 

(I have a thing for Drew Barrymore)
You might be the only one that ranked Never Been Kissed.  ;)

Where I have a thing for her is in the Adam Sandler rom/coms.   I wouldn't even call them guilty pleasures, I just love me some Wedding Singer and 50 First Dates.  

ETA:  No, you aren't the only one that had that movie on your list....

Agree with all this, especially the movies that you point to that would probably be in contention from this year.   Are the 70s movies listed higher because of nostalgia for the critics that are getting older, are they measurably better movies than the top movies from 20 years later, is it a function of people having 20 more years of watching those movies so they are ingrained in the culture more?  Interesting discussion for sure.   

Also factored in is I purposely left out if these lists are people's favorites or what they think are the best (if there is a difference).   If I had to list he greatest movies ever or most influential, sure stuff like Godfather and Chinatown would be popping up.  If I am listing a desert island movie ranking, I am probably grabbing Fight Club over Chinatown for my island.  :shrug:  
Mirroring the cultural zeitgeist, I think there was a lot of experimentation that came out of the 60s and early 70s that created a boom for incredible movies in that era.imo, it's more than just nostalgia and/or these movies having been seen a lot due to age.

:goodposting:  I might be the only one, but I'm not terribly interested in what "wins" these polls, but I've loved the discussion of people's favorites that might not have been on my radar.
Steak knives for you.

My Favorite Year- 82
:wub:

If I were drunk, could I do this?

Do you like it, I only wore it once.

Mirroring the cultural zeitgeist, I think there was a lot of experimentation that came out of the 60s and early 70s that created a boom for incredible movies in that era.imo, it's more than just nostalgia and/or these movies having been seen a lot due to age.

Steak knives for you.

:wub:

If I were drunk, could I do this?

Do you like it, I only wore it once.
:hifive: but i aint touching your zeitgeist...

I’m not sure the 70s movies were really better than any other decade. The loosening of standards of decency certainly allowed the 70s to be more violent, sexual, explicit, etc. There was a lot of experimentation but not all of it has held up very well. 

I’m not sure the 70s movies were really better than any other decade. The loosening of standards of decency certainly allowed the 70s to be more violent, sexual, explicit, etc. There was a lot of experimentation but not all of it has held up very well. 
I was going to say something along these lines (but you always say it better).  Like you said, so much opened up as far as pushing the envelope with movies.  It's also hard to separate the stories and the mythology of making the movies from the actual movies too.  Apocalypse Now is the perfect example for me.  I love the movie, but it is a bit of a mess.  It's also hard to know the backstory of that thing getting made and just marvel at it in those terms, and that adds to the experience unlike something from 90s would have.  Is it measurably better than something that came out later, or does it have that added mystique that others don't that push it over the edge? (along with having the 20 year head start of people able to watch it and analyze it over and over)

The other unfair advantage that older movies have with the rankings is that people can point to them and say "well, X did it first in this movie".   

tis a great sign of America's present condition that anyone can resent the "doing first" of anything. everything each of us has is due far much more to the skill & bravery it took for individuals to enter & cross frontiers than any other factor

tis a great sign of America's present condition that anyone can resent the "doing first" of anything. everything each of us has is due far much more to the skill & bravery it took for individuals to enter & cross frontiers than any other factor
Resent isn't the right word, and my use of "unfair advantage" wasn't the right term on my part.   Just pointing out that it has to add into the equation, but it can't also mean that it's better just because of that.  

Resent isn't the right word, and my use of "unfair advantage" wasn't the right term on my part.   Just pointing out that it has to add into the equation, but it can't also mean that it's better just because of that.  
well. when today's storytellers - cinema, music, whatever - actually use all this tech to break us out of the doldrums of branding archetypes for cash & glory, they'll have some ownage, too, but it's all my gen's til then and i will value it thusly. i know you meant no disrespect, just had to make the point

I get the feeling my FFA notebook is missing something.  
I have 2 other accounts that isn't one of them. I just can't believe someone else actually agrees with me on a majority of movies from any year, don't think that has really ever been the case on here or in person.

I have 2 other accounts that isn't one of them. I just can't believe someone else actually agrees with me on a majority of movies from any year, don't think that has really ever been the case on here or in person.
Not exactly agrees with you, but has the same "flair" to the list as yours does, maybe?

Getting back to the time argument- I would prefer to have the 70s represented by individual year but would have no problem having them not be thrown in the randomizer until 10 or so of these take place.  On the flip side, I also would like to see more recent years represented as well, perhaps through 2008.

I was going to say something along these lines (but you always say it better).  Like you said, so much opened up as far as pushing the envelope with movies.  It's also hard to separate the stories and the mythology of making the movies from the actual movies too.  Apocalypse Now is the perfect example for me.  I love the movie, but it is a bit of a mess.  It's also hard to know the backstory of that thing getting made and just marvel at it in those terms, and that adds to the experience unlike something from 90s would have.  Is it measurably better than something that came out later, or does it have that added mystique that others don't that push it over the edge? (along with having the 20 year head start of people able to watch it and analyze it over and over)

The other unfair advantage that older movies have with the rankings is that people can point to them and say "well, X did it first in this movie".   
I think older movies and the having done it first thing can get held against old movies and is often a hinderance. For example, early heist movies like Rififi or The Asphalt Jungle might seem more pedestrian to modern viewers since the originality of them would be lost since so many of the stylings and tropes of those films have been beaten to death since then. Also, performances that are really iconic (Brando's Don Corleone, Edward G Robinson's Little Caesar, etc) have been so copied and parodied that I think some younger viewers have a hard time taking the performance serious now. 

Very fair points as well.  So are we back to the old people vs. young people side of things then.  ;)

I know 80s is younger than me by a bit, but ironically watches more older movies than me (I believe you said your parents brought you up with them?).    I am 42 - would I be on the younger end of the spectrum as far as participants in this thread?

I think older movies and the having done it first thing can get held against old movies and is often a hinderance. For example, early heist movies like Rififi or The Asphalt Jungle might seem more pedestrian to modern viewers since the originality of them would be lost since so many of the stylings and tropes of those films have been beaten to death since then. Also, performances that are really iconic (Brando's Don Corleone, Edward G Robinson's Little Caesar, etc) have been so copied and parodied that I think some younger viewers have a hard time taking the performance serious now. 
I've thought about this a lot over the years. A film that does something first is obviously worthy of credit for the idea. However, my enjoyment of a film comes from how well it works for me. I don't really care where the ideas came from. I'm not going to downgrade The Departed because Infernal Affairs came before. I love the director and the actors, and the tone is very much to my liking. Many times the original idea produces the better film, but not always. The same is true of music for me. I don't care if someone says Nirvana ripped off Pixies or Pavement ripped off The Fall; I try to like or dislike something on its own merit. I also try not let the behavior of an actor or director determine whether I like their output. I guess I'm basing everything on its entertainment value to me, rather than its place in the history of film or music.

Very fair points as well.  So are we back to the old people vs. young people side of things then.  ;)

I know 80s is younger than me by a bit, but ironically watches more older movies than me (I believe you said your parents brought you up with them?).    I am 42 - would I be on the younger end of the spectrum as far as participants in this thread?
I'm 55. I almost didn't make it that far. I had a quadruple bypass last year.

I've thought about this a lot over the years. A film that does something first is obviously worthy of credit for the idea. However, my enjoyment of a film comes from how well it works for me. I don't really care where the ideas came from. I'm not going to downgrade The Departed because Infernal Affairs came before. I love the director and the actors, and the tone is very much to my liking. Many times the original idea produces the better film, but not always. The same is true of music for me. I don't care if someone says Nirvana ripped off Pixies or Pavement ripped off The Fall; I try to like or dislike something on its own merit. I also try not let the behavior of an actor or director determine whether I like their output. I guess I'm basing everything on its entertainment value to me, rather than its place in the history of film or music.
I agree with this sentiment, even if it's not always easy to adhere to.

Alright - a rare decision has been made by me.  The original intent was to do the 80s and 90s, but I have 0 issues with doing more.  A couple days ago I put those 2 decades in a randomizer, but was asking about the 70s to see if I needed to redo them, but I think the roll might help a little bit with what the debate is.  So what we will do is this:

1.  Do a few more in the 80s and 90s using the randomizer. (I liked the idea of alternating 90s-80s-90s)

2.  That will give us a couple months to looks at the years in the 70s, 00s, whatever and go from there.

3.  In a month or so I will have a poll on how everybody wants to handle the 70s, and if we want some newer years in there too, and at that time I will randomize the list with the additional years/eras in there.  

According to the list randomizer the next 3 years for our lists will be (in order):  1982, 1993, 81

I like that the early 80s popped up.  It might give us a little taste of what it might be like to head into individual years in the late 70s and help inform that decision.   Ilov80s was just talking about an 82 movie in here, and somebody brought up E.T. in the other movie thread, so it's fitting that will be our next adventure.  :popcorn:

Yeah was born in 82 but my dad loved movies so I watched a lot with him. Lately I’ve been going back and watching or rewatching a lot of classic movies as I’ve generally been disappointed in films made in this current decade. I can go pretty far back tear by year but would struggle with the last 5 years.

Good points. There’s maybe 3 ways a film can be great/significant. It can do something new, it can perfect something old or it can take a something old and put an unexpected twist on it.  

1982? oy - now i have to decide whether to put a perfectly dreadful flick in my 20 just to not lose my tenuous cred w KP & others

wikkidpissah said:
1982? oy - now i have to decide whether to put a perfectly dreadful flick in my 20 just to not to lose my tenuous cred w KP & others
I expect everyone to have some really bad 80s movies on their lists. 

I'm 55. I almost didn't make it that far. I had a quadruple bypass last year.
Whoa. Glad you're still here, Musesboy. I hope you enjoy your planned Modest Mouse excursions. (Love that band.) I take high blood pressure medication, and you just reminded me to keep living like it's my last.  

Whoa. Glad you're still here, Musesboy. I hope you enjoy your planned Modest Mouse excursions. (Love that band.) I take high blood pressure medication, and you just reminded me to keep living like it's my last.  
Thanks.

Yep, go to every concert you can. Take every opportunity to do anything you like. When 31-year-old soccer players can die in their sleep, you just never know.

Users who are viewing this thread