What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

90s Movie Poll - 1999 The countdown has started! (1 Viewer)

I gotcha.  Just saying that for every Marvel and ####ty Pixar sequel there is a movie like Ex Machina, Whiplash, Take Shelter, Short Term 12 and others.   Also action movies like The Raid: Redemption and Edge of Tomorrow (speaking of Mr. Cruise) that I will take every time over the usual summer fare.  
Ex Machina and even Rogue One were all timers for me.

thanks for assuming that the nuances sailed clear over my head  :thumbup:

and, ironically enough, that particular line is one i often source when discussing what i did like about it. 
Not you. You're a brilliant dude. I was speaking generally. If I said you missed it, then...

I sometimes don't type everything I'm thinking. I just did it last night about pit bulls. Someone assumed I hadn't thought about severity of injury. I certainly had.  

eta* And I was going to launch into a critique of the movie also, but didn't. That paper bag. Ooooof.

eta2* And didn't you study film at NYU? I seem to recall that. That's, uh, well...ya know. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not you. You're a brilliant dude. I was speaking generally. If I said you missed it, then...

I sometimes don't type everything I'm thinking. I just did it last night about pit bulls. Someone assumed I hadn't thought about severity of injury. I certainly had.  

eta* And I was going to launch into a critique of the movie also, but didn't. That paper bag. Ooooof.  
chalk my hair trigger up to caffeine OD and a ####ty commute on a train chock full of loony yentas and mamis

:wall:

from my list, I don't think I've seen anybody else give Topsy Turvy any love. tough subject matter to get into (gilbert and sullivan making the Mikado period piece), but I think it's Leigh at his best (right there with Secrets and Lies for me) getting incredible performances from a fantastic cast. and it somehow made me care about the story..
#3 on mine (and only then because 2 of my top 5 flix of the last 25 years were made in '99) with a higher point total than i'll probably give my #1 in many years. and i'm not a Leigh fan

For whoever mentioned its lack of love, Bowfinger was my #7 i think

how do we hide comments?

meh - the amount of love i sense "American Beauty" will garner elicits the same reaction from me ...

:unsure:
I struggled putting that on my list. it was right around the cut off for me, but I thought it was a well told, well acted, well directed story. haven't seen it again though and worry that it probably doesn't hold up for me. 

tbh- same holds true for magnolia, but I remember that movie having much more of an effect (positive) on me during and afterwards. I also remember thinking for the first time that cruise could actually act. 

#3 on mine (and only then because 2 of my top 5 flix of the last 25 years were made in '99) with a higher point total than i'll probably give my #1 in many years. and i'm not a Leigh fan

how do we hide comments?
type the word "spoiler" in brackets, type your text, and then type "/spoiler" in brackets

meh - the amount of love i sense "American Beauty" will garner elicits the same reaction from me ...

:unsure:
That movie was an event at the time.  I think its #2 on my list.  It doesn't hold up like Ci.Ho,Rul imo.  Many don't actually.

I struggled putting that on my list. it was right around the cut off for me, but I thought it was a well told, well acted, well directed story. haven't seen it again though and worry that it probably doesn't hold up for me. 
i've gone on about it in a few threads (some fairly recent, iirc) and you may have been one i wrestled with in said discussions - and, as i said then, "The Ice Storm" did the whole 'pull back the curtains to reveal the seedy secrets of Suburbia!!1!1!' shtick muchmuchmuchmuch better.  a vastly superior film. 

how do we hide comments?
:thumbup:

I'll have to rewatch bowfinger, I guess. IIRC, I rented it and had to turn it off.

Leigh... I remember seeing Life is Sweet and thinking... huh- ok, kinda like it, but couldn't associate/empathize with the story, even though the characters were all developed and portrayed in an incredibly accessible way. Naked- really liked. Secrets and Lies... loved. so I assumed I was a Leigh fan at that point... but then it felt like the bottom fell out with his next and subsequent movies (other than Topsy Turvy). haven't bothered since Happy go Lucky which I hated.

hiding comments... type [ spoiler ] before everything you want hidden, but don't leave a space between [ ] and the word spoiler within.

i've gone on about it in a few threads (some fairly recent, iirc) and you may have been one i wrestled with in said discussions - and, as i said then, "The Ice Storm" did the whole 'pull back the curtains to reveal the seedy secrets of Suburbia!!1!1!' shtick muchmuchmuchmuch better.  a vastly superior film. 
wouldn't have been me- I preferred Ice Storm. and I didn't flat out love American Beauty. I liked it how I just described.

tonite i'm gonna movie like it's 1999:

1. Being John Malkovic, 30 points. my favorite film of the last 25 years

2. All About My Mother, 28 points

3. Topsy Turvy, 25

4. Man On The Moon, 20

5. Three Kings, 15

6. Buena Vista Social Club, 10

7. Straight Story, 9

8. Bowfinger, 8

9. Mumford, 7

10. End of the Affair, 6

11. Galaxy Quest  6

12. Thomas Crown Affair 5

13. Matrix, 5

14. Fight Club, 5

15. American Beauty, 4

16. Austin Powers 2, 4

17. Iron Giant 4

18. The Insider 3

19. The Ideal Husband 3

20 Green Mile 3. 

just missed (went down the wikilist for '99 & wrote down all the flix to pick from, these are the leftovers): Sunshine, Election, Analyze This, Angela's Ashes, Cradle Will Rock, Flawless, Go, Limey, Map of the World, Notting Hill, Pushing Tin, Summer of Sam, Talented Mr Ripley

3. Topsy Turvy, 25

4. Man On The Moon, 20

5. Three Kings, 15

7. Straight Story, 9

8. Bowfinger, 8

9. Mumford, 7

10. End of the Affair, 6

11. Galaxy Quest  6

13. Matrix, 5

14. Fight Club, 5

15. American Beauty, 4

16. Austin Powers 2, 4

17. Iron Giant 4

18. The Insider 3

19. The Ideal Husband 3

20 Green Mile 3. 

just missed (went down the wikilist for '99 & wrote down all the flix to pick from, these are the leftovers): Sunshine, Election, Analyze This, Angela's Ashes, Cradle Will Rock, Flawless, Go, Limey, Map of the World, Notting Hill, Pushing Tin, Summer of Sam, Talented Mr Ripley
feels like a lot of the same movies for me. 

nice to see analyze this get a mention-  it was on my long list. deniro does so well as the straight man against a genuine funny (midnight run and in an odd way one of my faves, king of comedy... although he's playing the un-funny funny straight man)

interesting film fact -

In 1998, Sam Mendes got my cousin Rob to choreograph his revival of Cabaret on Broadway, only Rob insisted on a co-director credit as well (he had just done the same successfully in TV, as he'd choreographed Cinderella & Mrs Claus for Zadan & Meron but when they asked him to do the same for Annie, he insisted on directing as well). Anyway, each of their followups to Cabaret was a movie, each their first feature film, each won the Academy Award for Best Picture - American Beauty and Chicago

3. Topsy Turvy, 25

4. Man On The Moon, 20

5. Three Kings, 15

7. Straight Story, 9

8. Bowfinger, 8

9. Mumford, 7

10. End of the Affair, 6

11. Galaxy Quest  6

13. Matrix, 5

14. Fight Club, 5

15. American Beauty, 4

16. Austin Powers 2, 4

17. Iron Giant 4

18. The Insider 3

19. The Ideal Husband 3

20 Green Mile 3. 

:sigh:

interesting film fact -

In 1998, Sam Mendes got my cousin Rob to choreograph his revival of Cabaret on Broadway, only Rob insisted on a co-director credit as well (he had just done the same successfully in TV, as he'd choreographed Cinderella & Mrs Claus for Zadan & Meron but when they asked him to do the same for Annie, he insisted on directing as well). Anyway, each of their followups to Cabaret was a movie, each their first feature film, each won the Academy Award for Best Picture - American Beauty and Chicago
Chicago is my worst movie of all time fwiw.  Bridges of Madison County and Magnolia are #2 and #3 fwiw.

My number one isn't on any of the three lists on this page.  I'm very suprised (as it's the best movie). I'm pretty sure it was nominated for a best picture Oscar and even won a couple lesser Oscars.
I'm certain my #1 didn't win any Oscars, and pretty sure it wasn't nominated for any either. It may have been nominated for/won some razzies though...

The :Sigh: was for another Cider House less list.  Best movie of the year and it probably doesn't even make the cut here.

The :Sigh: was for another Cider House less list.  Best movie of the year and it probably doesn't even make the cut here.
i grok your sigh, pimplecream. totally understand how that could be someone's best of '99. CHR cleaned the general uncleanability of an Irving novel into a str8ahead,  honest, moving flick. Irving's literary fetishes are soooo untenable to me that i couldnt elevate it in a crowded field. But you go, you prince of pimples, you king of cream!

If I would reconsider one movie I left off it would probably be the Talented Mr. Ripley.  It wasn't a list topper, but it would have been top ten in many years   

Movies suxor so bad now compared to tge late 90's.  What the crap happened?  Pixar and Marvel?
The Talented Mr Ripley was another of my last cuts.  That one, Sunshine, Audition, Office Space, and Go were my next five.

:thumbup:

I'll have to rewatch bowfinger, I guess. IIRC, I rented it and had to turn it off.

Leigh... I remember seeing Life is Sweet and thinking... huh- ok, kinda like it, but couldn't associate/empathize with the story, even though the characters were all developed and portrayed in an incredibly accessible way. Naked- really liked. Secrets and Lies... loved. so I assumed I was a Leigh fan at that point... but then it felt like the bottom fell out with his next and subsequent movies (other than Topsy Turvy). haven't bothered since Happy go Lucky which I hated.

hiding comments... type [ spoiler ] before everything you want hidden, but don't leave a space between [ ] and the word spoiler within.
Secrets & Lies was his apex, but another you didn’t mention that’s worth seeing is Vera Drake.

3. Topsy Turvy, 25

4. Man On The Moon, 20

5. Three Kings, 15

7. Straight Story, 9

8. Bowfinger, 8

9. Mumford, 7

10. End of the Affair, 6

11. Galaxy Quest  6

13. Matrix, 5

14. Fight Club, 5

15. American Beauty, 4

16. Austin Powers 2, 4

17. Iron Giant 4

18. The Insider 3

19. The Ideal Husband 3

20 Green Mile 3. 

Love this list.  Happy to see The End of the Affair, which was another just-missed for me.  On your runners-up, I also like seeing Map of the World.

Up to 30 lists and they have been noted, I just need to add a few of the big ones up again. 

The last wave of lists have flipped the #1 and #2 picks and the #3 and #4 picks.  

As it is right now there are very clear top 2, top 5 and top 10-11.    There is about 90pts from 2 to 3, 50 from 5 to 6, and 50 from 11 to 12.  We now have 32 movies with 50pts or more.   

I wonder if we get to a point with these where the top picks are pretty much set and the rest is just slight shifting in that tier and in the last 15-20 movies.  

Got it, along with 2 others and I will add them to the totals in a bit.  Still haven't heard back from @Keith R about his list though.
I will reconfigure it on Friday if that's ok.  If not, just knock out the bottom 100 points (I mistakenly awarded 300 points) or if that's too much work, convert to a 19-1 list.  Thanks much.

Any suggestions on how to do it differently for '98 or do we think this is good as is with the points and lists?   

What I am thinking about is doing the first 10-15, and then posting some of the observations about ones that missed the countdown. Like I said there are probably 4-5 that were big with the awards seasons but might miss the cut and I am surprised at.  Also there are a few that 1-2 people rated quite highly, but those were the only votes the movie got.   I figure that some of ones people might not expect are in this range, but if I post too many that missed the cut some of these will be easier to narrow down.   After that, I would imagine that the top 15 will be more what people might expect.   I agree what others have said - this is probably more about the few gems that people have passed over than it is about the 5 movies that were on damn near everybody's lists.  

Any suggestions on how to do it differently for '98 or do we think this is good as is with the points and lists?   

What I am thinking about is doing the first 10-15, and then posting some of the observations about ones that missed the countdown. Like I said there are probably 4-5 that were big with the awards seasons but might miss the cut and I am surprised at.  Also there are a few that 1-2 people rated quite highly, but those were the only votes the movie got.   I figure that some of ones people might not expect are in this range, but if I post too many that missed the cut some of these will be easier to narrow down.   After that, I would imagine that the top 15 will be more what people might expect.   I agree what others have said - this is probably more about the few gems that people have passed over than it is about the 5 movies that were on damn near everybody's lists.  
absolutely ...you like Lock, Stock and Barrels???  ...Go with "Go"

Here hare here

What is the deadline??
@shuke

It was the 11th, but I am getting an itchy trigger finger (I shouldn't have started adding up the lists so soon).  If the lists start slowing down, I might start next week, but I will definitely give people through the weekend to send me something.  So the 4th at the absolute earliest, and if lists keep coming in we will keep the original date of the 11th.  

The next one of these I will probably just do 1 week to get in lists b/c of the turnout and now people know that 1998 is up next.  

really?  Just when I'm starting to warm to you?  

If you like a particular movie ...example - Lock, Stock, and 2 Smoking Barrels.  Here is a 1999 movie that is very similar!!! - the movie called "Go"!!

Sometimes you can be a real ****.  
:lol: warm to me? 

That's what I was thinking you were getting at, but I remember 0 about either movie and couldn't tell you for sure if I have seen them beginning to end.  

Users who are viewing this thread