What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

90s Movie Poll - 1999 The countdown has started! (1 Viewer)

Nobody's seen everything.  I think I had when they came out, just don't remember a thing about them.  I have Lock Stock at home now in my '98 research pile. 
This stuff is funny.  I thought it was about enjoying movies together and being introduced to new things - for instance, despite having 82 movies on my initial cut, I had never seen the Ang Lee movie mentioned  though he is one of my favorites.  I'm also intrigued by the chatter about Stir of Echoes and now want to check it out.

For others it's about "this is the best thing ever and you're stupid if you don't know that." :shrug:  

I realize many (most?) of my movies are lesser-known, and I'd be happy to chat about any of them., without judgment in either direction  And I do love re-considering those many of us might have overlooked or forgotten, too.  I just love sharing movies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any suggestions on how to do it differently for '98 or do we think this is good as is with the points and lists?   

What I am thinking about is doing the first 10-15, and then posting some of the observations about ones that missed the countdown. Like I said there are probably 4-5 that were big with the awards seasons but might miss the cut and I am surprised at.  Also there are a few that 1-2 people rated quite highly, but those were the only votes the movie got.   I figure that some of ones people might not expect are in this range, but if I post too many that missed the cut some of these will be easier to narrow down.   After that, I would imagine that the top 15 will be more what people might expect.   I agree what others have said - this is probably more about the few gems that people have passed over than it is about the 5 movies that were on damn near everybody's lists.  
Without seeing what the final product is like....i think what you are planning is fine. Frankly I just like talking about movies.

If you are looking for something to gauge the lower movies, and are willing, perhaps when you get to the final rankings you could also show how many lists had the movie. It might show how some movies while not scoring high were enjoyed by the larger group.

If you have 30 lists and The Matrix was on 20 lists getting 30 pts on each it's gonna be the top or near the top. But if those same 30 lists all have Notting Hill at 1 or 2 pts, it won't be high in total number,  but it is interesting to note that everyone included it when they had to be selective in the use of their points.

I’m going to post here because I’m on mobile and seem to suck at generating new DMs that way.

17 points for these, which would make any list of all-time favorites I would put together:

Buena Vista Social Club

The Iron Giant

The Straight Story

Ghost Dog:  The Way of the Samurai

Magnolia

The Color of Paradise

10 points for each of these movies I absolutely love but didn’t quite make the top cut:

All About My Mother

Limbo

Toy Story 2

The Wind Will Carry Us

Being John Malkovich

The Limey

Three Kings

4 points for these excellent movies that I hate giving only 4 points to:

American Beauty

Genghis Blues

Fight Club

Felicia’s Journey 

Mr. Death:  The Ride and Fall of Fred A. Leuchter Jr.

Election

Jesus’ Son
Had meant to mention that I'm glad to see Mr Death up there. It was right on the edge for me.I remember liking it, but something holding me back a bit at the time- very well could have been Mr Deaths occupation.

I mentioned Limbo, but I don't recall seeing: Genghis, Wind, or Paradise either. Looking forward to seeing them.

Funny- I remember liking All About my Mother, but felt like I had reached a point of saturation with Almodovar (or maybe that's happened since and colored my judgement). 

Without seeing what the final product is like....i think what you are planning is fine. Frankly I just like talking about movies.

If you are looking for something to gauge the lower movies, and are willing, perhaps when you get to the final rankings you could also show how many lists had the movie. It might show how some movies while not scoring high were enjoyed by the larger group.

If you have 30 lists and The Matrix was on 20 lists getting 30 pts on each it's gonna be the top or near the top. But if those same 30 lists all have Notting Hill at 1 or 2 pts, it won't be high in total number,  but it is interesting to note that everyone included it when they had to be selective in the use of their points.
Thanks for the input.  We will see how this goes.  I might just have to take better notes for 98 (since I am computer inept, I am doing this by hand on notebooks), but I do have a fairly good idea of what you are talking about.  Like you said, the top 5 are there because they are on a high % of lists, but the top 2 jumped ahead a lot because they got several more 20+pt votes vs. the others had more 5pt votes.  Same with others at the bottom and that didn't make it.  There are a few that might be sitting at <50pts, but they got 2-3 high point votes vs. others that are sitting at 45 that 12 votes of 4 or less.  Stuff like that.  

Next time I will at least try to keep track of how votes a movie got.  

This stuff is funny.  I thought it was about enjoying movies together and being introduced to new things - for instance, despite having 82 movies on my initial cut, I had never seen the Ang Lee movie mentioned  though he is one of my favorites.  I'm also intrigued by the chatter about Stir of Echoes and now want to check it out.

For others it's about "this is the best thing ever and you're stupid if you don't know that." :shrug:  

I realize many (most?) of my movies are lesser-known, and I'd be happy to chat about any of them., without judgment in either direction  And I do love re-considering those many of us might have overlooked or forgotten, too.  I just love sharing movies.
@krista4

I hear you.  In reality I am like part 1, but I probably get sucked into #2 too much as we poke fun at each other.  Mostly it just interests me to talk about movies to see how differently people's minds work, how we view things differently, and how the baggage and personal experience we bring to the table factors into our takes on a movie.  Perfect example is GMs rant about Eyes Wide Shut and his seeming rage about the plot of that movie being set off because the wife got angry and petty while smoking the reefer and that's not how people act while smoking said reefer.   A thought similar to that had never entered my mind the few times that I had seen that movie.  

I laughed when Floppo said that he trusts his '99 self more than he does now as I am the opposite.  I was probably still watching too many Van Damme movies and ####ty horror sequels back then and didn't really turn the corner until around this time, but more in 2000 and on.  I didn't reply before, but the 5 movies that I hadn't heard of on your list were: Color of Paradise, Wind Will Carry Us, Genghis, Mr. Death, and Limbo.  After digging deeper and thinking about it, that makes sense because I honestly didn't start watching foreign movies or documentaries until about 2002 when I owned the video store, so big blind spot in my movie watching would be movies from those two genres pre-2000.   I was instantly hooked after trying a doc and a foreign movie and remember the two that sucked me in:  Amores Perros and Stevie.    If I remember correctly we had a little discussion in a timdraft about Hoop Dreams (was I the judge for the doc category?), and I am guessing my latecomer status to the genre was part of the reason it didn't grab me like it did for others.  

1997 is going to be more interesting to me than 98.  I have very specific war like opinions on the 1997 movie class with particular focus on the five Oscar nominated movies and how they should be perceived in something like this.

Yes I posted a random thought out of nowhere.

Yes, it's because I'm kinda antsy to see the final list.

Yes, there are probably better uses of my time while at work dangling the fate of several clients' lives at the moment.

You be avoided sitting through like 20 hours of movies for two good movies and a bunch of not so good* :thumbup:

*I haven't seen the latest Star Wars yet.
@Northern Voice - you gonna submit one of these list things?

Also, I don't think you are off by much in your statement.  I have a love/hate even with the first Matrix.  It's fun, was groundbreaking, and I still love the core idea of it.  That said, every time I see a slo-mo bullet time action scene in a movie now I want to scream because it's been so overdone and I hate The Matrix for bringing that to us.  It's cool and makes sense in the universe of the Matrix, but it's horrible when it's a fight in the "real world".    Even most fans of the original think the sequels are pretty bad besides the highway scene (I think in the 2nd?).  Same with SW, especially 1-->3.  You could watch 6 movies for about 2 movies worth of decent stuff.  

1997 is going to be more interesting to me than 98.  I have very specific war like opinions on the 1997 movie class with particular focus on the five Oscar nominated movies and how they should be perceived in something like this.

Yes, there are probably better uses of my time while at work dangling the fate of several clients' lives at the moment.
I am interested to see this for different years and see if the way people do their lists look different.  

Like I said, I started looking at 98 and it's the opposite of 97 for me.    98 maybe has 1-2 movies that I have a passion for, and a few others that I think are good, but that's about it.  Actually looking at the movies that came out that year, it might have the highest concentration of "guilty pleasure" movies for me.  97 I have stated is one of my favorite years for movies and I think 4-5 movies of my overall top 20-30 movies come from that year and I think it's deep past that.  There might be only 1 or 2 movies from 98 that would grade similar to the top 15 of 97 for me.   So 98 will probably be a list of only 10 for me, but 97 will have a krista4 level list that I will have to try to trim down and make decisions on.  

That's how I feel about 99.  I think that AB and Cider are WAY above everything else and I'm taking it really personally that nobody else agrees.  Deep breaths help.  At least Notting and Election are getting some love.

Nobody's seen everything.  I think I had when they came out, just don't remember a thing about them.  I have Lock Stock at home now in my '98 research pile. 
I was surprised because I would have guessed you would have saw both at the movie store.  I remember buying both at blockbuster, and saw Go at the theatre.  No offense intended. 

Edited to add I thought you had the store in the late 90's.  That explains my confusion.

1. The Hurricane - 25

2. The Insider - 20

3. The Sixth Sense - 15

4. The Matrix - 15

5. Mystery Alaska - 15

6. Toy Story 2 - 15

7. For The Love of The Game - 15

8. The Muse - 10

9. Boy's Don't Cry - 10

10. American Beauty - 10

11. Office Space - 10

12. Go - 10

13. American Pie - 8

14. The Mummy - 5"/spoiler" 

15. Detroit Rock City - 5

16. Any Given Sunday - 5

17. South Park Bigger, Longer, Uncut - 5

18. Fight Club - 5

19. Magnolia - 1

20. House On Haunted Hill - 1

I was surprised because I would have guessed you would have saw both at the movie store.  I remember buying both at blockbuster, and saw Go at the theatre.  No offense intended. 

Edited to add I thought you had the store in the late 90's.  That explains my confusion.
No offense taken on my part.   There are gaps in movie watching for me for sure.  I watched a ton in HS and College, but HS was mostly ####ty action and horror movies.  I started to expand a little in college, but I was still behind the curve as far as the indie and award winning movies were concerned.  Then I was in chiro school for a few years in the late 90s and that's when I had very little time to watch stuff.  I think it was about 2000 when I worked at Blockbuster part time and started talking more about movies with the other employees and the managers about "better" stuff.  Video store was 2003 I believe, so it was around then when I was watching my 10+ movies a week and catching up on everything (pre-children, of course). 

Like I said, I think I watched them at some point, but my memory is trash and movies are blurring together.  

I changed the thread title and the date.  I got shuke's, Keith said he is updating his tomorrow, and NV will send me his favourites this weekend too.  That will push it to about 35 lists and still gives 3 days for others who might be interested.  I honestly wasn't expecting the #s and the quick responses, so thanks to all who sent a list and are going to send a list!!

I will start the countdown Monday morning. 

I have never seen any of The Matrix movies or any Star Wars movie past Return of the Jedi. 
Good move skipping on the crappy Star Wars movies but the first Matrix is really good (though a first viewing now might not have the same magic since it’s been so copied and parodied at this point). Do not under any circumstances watch the second or third Matrix

I love The Matrix and would have ranked it, but I missed it and I already posted my list and said "final."

So...

No Matrix!  

Good move skipping on the crappy Star Wars movies but the first Matrix is really good (though a first viewing now might not have the same magic since it’s been so copied and parodied at this point). Do not under any circumstances watch the second or third Matrix
I agree on the Matrix part.

Had meant to mention that I'm glad to see Mr Death up there. It was right on the edge for me.I remember liking it, but something holding me back a bit at the time- very well could have been Mr Deaths occupation.

I mentioned Limbo, but I don't recall seeing: Genghis, Wind, or Paradise either. Looking forward to seeing them.

Funny- I remember liking All About my Mother, but felt like I had reached a point of saturation with Almodovar (or maybe that's happened since and colored my judgement). 
I agree that Mr. Death isn't Morris's best, but even his so-so is better than most anything else out there.  BTW, I read my list and next 10 favorites to Mr krista after I'd submitted the list, and he said he would have given Mr. Death 30 points. :)   He was also outraged I'd left Audition, Topsy-Turvy and Office Space off my list.

All About My Mother is my favorite Almodovar movie, though I'm in a definite minority there (Talk to Her seems to top most lists).  Maybe give it another shot sometime?

Genghis Blues is a documentary about a Tuvan throat singer - I found it all so fascinating.  The Wind Will Carry Us is a Kiarostami movie, which pretty much guarantees it will make any list of my favorites, though it's not my top choice of his works.  The Color of Paradise is my second favorite film from that particular Iranian director (and I will not be surprised if I'm the only person with two Iranian movies on my list) - even better is Children of Heaven.

@krista4

I hear you.  In reality I am like part 1, but I probably get sucked into #2 too much as we poke fun at each other.  Mostly it just interests me to talk about movies to see how differently people's minds work, how we view things differently, and how the baggage and personal experience we bring to the table factors into our takes on a movie.  Perfect example is GMs rant about Eyes Wide Shut and his seeming rage about the plot of that movie being set off because the wife got angry and petty while smoking the reefer and that's not how people act while smoking said reefer.   A thought similar to that had never entered my mind the few times that I had seen that movie.  

I laughed when Floppo said that he trusts his '99 self more than he does now as I am the opposite.  I was probably still watching too many Van Damme movies and ####ty horror sequels back then and didn't really turn the corner until around this time, but more in 2000 and on.  I didn't reply before, but the 5 movies that I hadn't heard of on your list were: Color of Paradise, Wind Will Carry Us, Genghis, Mr. Death, and Limbo.  After digging deeper and thinking about it, that makes sense because I honestly didn't start watching foreign movies or documentaries until about 2002 when I owned the video store, so big blind spot in my movie watching would be movies from those two genres pre-2000.   I was instantly hooked after trying a doc and a foreign movie and remember the two that sucked me in:  Amores Perros and Stevie.    If I remember correctly we had a little discussion in a timdraft about Hoop Dreams (was I the judge for the doc category?), and I am guessing my latecomer status to the genre was part of the reason it didn't grab me like it did for others.  
Yeah, after I posted that I remembered that we did vow to make fun of eachother, too. :lol:   I decided just to leave my post anyway.  This thread is a great blend of everything - thanks to you for pulling this together and to everyone else for all the interesting discussion.  And rants are always fun. :)

On the five on my list you hadn't heard of, I did get four of them right, with the fifth being Limbo.  I discussed your first three a little bit in my reply to Floppo above.  Mr. Death is an Errol Morris documentary about a guy whose job was to consult with US prisons on execution techniques.  As you might imagine, it's not for everyone!  Limbo is a John Sayles movie, and one of my top three favorites of his.

He was also outraged I'd left Audition, Topsy-Turvy and Office Space off my list.
Outraged.  :lol:   I don't have the first two movies on my list (I haven't seen them and didn't know about them), but I have Office Space ranked #7!

Keith R said:
I will reconfigure it on Friday if that's ok.  If not, just knock out the bottom 100 points (I mistakenly awarded 300 points) or if that's too much work, convert to a 19-1 list.  Thanks much.
Just resubmitted.

Wiki says 98.  It didn't even hit Cannes until May 98.
@PIK95 -  in the first sentence it reads "Life is Beautiful is a 1997 Italian comedy-drama.  imdb also lists it as 1997 in the title.   Keeping consistent, that means it has to wait until our 1997 draft.  It must have been weird timing with it being released there very late in the year, so it probably wasn't submitted for festivals and awards until the following year.  If Lock Stock is 1998 because of this, we have to move this movie to this year.  

Also, I had to chuckle at the ratings - this has to be a rare foreign movie that scored with the awards but the imdb rating is higher than the metacritic.  8.6 vs. 59/100.  I haven't seen it, so I can't comment on why that is, I just thought it was interesting.  

I entered in Keith R's adjustments and got a list from on the rocks.  Currently  1st and 2nd are separated by 3pts, and there was at least one movie that wasn't on the countdown yesterday that now shot up to the top 20.  Also, it looks like the countdown cutoff might be 60 points instead of 50, as there are 30 movies at 60+ points.  (so it could move up even farther is a few more lists come in.  

this

Matrix received a very high ranking from me...but I'm a sci fi dork

Users who are viewing this thread