What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is this forum still an Anti Trump Echo Chamber (Was: just a liberal echo chamber?) (2 Viewers)

There are a lot of "arguments" that seem to be made between what is defined as "sides". 

I guess we are left with one simple question. If you could wave a magic wand, would you want to prevent all the people from the other "side" from posting?
If I could wave a magic wand I'd want more people from the other side posting. But I'd want quality posts that address real questions about policies and presidential and congressional actions of substance, not just drop-ins whenever there's some hot-button cultural issue that they want to argue about. And I'd want posts that were responsive to posts from those who disagree, rather than posts that wander off on a nonsensical tangent any time the poster is confronted with facts and logic that rebut their argument.

You said it was a magic wand, right?

Amen.  Regarding the bolded, I still honestly don't get it.  What is the point of mocking people that voted Gary Johnson?  I know there is back story but I don't really care enough to research it.  Seems childish to me.
It’s not all people that say it...but people that seem to defend almost everything Trump but claim they don’t support him or even voted for him.  It becomes hard to believe and has made us good and real Gary Johnson voters look bad (settlemeown...that’s a joke).

It’s not all people that say it...but people that seem to defend almost everything Trump but claim they don’t support him or even voted for him.  It becomes hard to believe and has made us good and real Gary Johnson voters look bad (settlemeown...that’s a joke).
It just seems like an annoying and condescendingly smug way to duck out of a conversation or debate that isn't going your way (I don't mean you, just whoever uses it).  At least that's how I've seen it used.  

Yeah, no.

I have flat been called a pedophile and just recently a racist by two of the denizens in here.  In the latter case I actually reported it.  First time I've done that, ever, and I have been here from the beginning.  Nothing happened - he's still posting away.

If I had done that it would have been months.  I've stepped out of here and don't intend to return.  The personal attacks are just of the hook and some have the golden keys and are simply allowed to continue that behavior unabated.  

It's shameful.
Same experience for me.  The fact that Dickies and Dedfin are not banned is astonishing to me.  They bring nothing but outlandish insults to any pro Trump poster which if were said to them I would be banned.  Crazy.

Same experience for me.  The fact that Dickies and Dedfin are not banned is astonishing to me.  They bring nothing but outlandish insults to any pro Trump poster which if were said to them I would be banned.  Crazy.
That's so weird. I think you are great!

If I could wave a magic wand I'd want more people from the other side posting. But I'd want quality posts that address real questions about policies and presidential and congressional actions of substance, not just drop-ins whenever there's some hot-button cultural issue that they want to argue about. And I'd want posts that were responsive to posts from those who disagree, rather than posts that wander off on a nonsensical tangent any time the poster is confronted with facts and logic that rebut their argument.
We use to have a lot more of that before the PSF was split off from the FFA. There would be posters who didn't contribute regularly in a politically related thread but would do so occasionally when they had something worthwhile to say and that added so much to every discussion. Now we don't see them at all as they don't venture into this forum. Similarly I rarely post in the FFA anymore and I am sure I am not alone.

I thought it was a big mistake to have a separate politics forum and said so at the time. It looks like I was right as the combined traffic in both forums is a lot less than it use to be when it was all just the FFA (maybe it would be down the same anyway, who knows?). As they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," - it wasn't broken, but they fixed it anyway and we are now all worse off as a consequence.

Just my :2cents:

You said it was a magic wand, right?
Yes. Wave away.

Your post goes in the opposite of what @squistion is saying

People have not put you on ignore or asked others to do so because they don't agree with your opinion. It is because, seemingly, every day you default to the same poor analogies and discredited conservative memes. People have addressed that and asked you and Stealthy to move on to something else in the discussion, but like Groundhogs Day, you always return with the same arguments, leaving people no choice but to use the ignore option and ask others to do the same (so as to avoid scrolling through the same tired talking points).
You want people from the other side to post more, but you know you won't agree with their comments. So what's the point? I am known for the alcohol and cars analogy in the gun thread. (even though I wasn't the first to bring it up). That comment has carried over to other threads. Who keeps the comment alive? Me or them?

Some of the time, posters here don't like the person. Regardless of the message. 

I made a post in the shutdown thread, that people know the government has shut down in the past, and that they should prepare for such an event. That was met with harsh criticism. A week later, a thread shows up in the FFA discussing people living paycheck to paycheck. The first response to that post was:

Excellent topic.

ill bet the percentage of households in this  situation is much higher than you would think. I think many today live in a “want” rather than “need” mentality when it comes to things. Lots of people in credit card hell nowadays.

I thought it was a big mistake to have a separate politics forum and said so at the time. It looks like I was right as the combined traffic in both forums is a lot less than it use to be when it was all just the FFA (maybe it would be down the same anyway, who knows?). As they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," - it wasn't broken, but they fixed it anyway and we are now all worse off as a consequence.

I think the most likely scenario is traffic would be down even more if it weren't for the split.  The vast majority of posters were very happy with the creation of the subforum. 

Yes. Wave away.

Your post goes in the opposite of what @squistion is saying

You want people from the other side to post more, but you know you won't agree with their comments. So what's the point?
I might. I have in the past. I've moved on lots of issues thanks to discussions in these forums.  I changed my primary vote in the 2016 race in large part because of the discussions, although I voted too late for it to matter.

I made a post in the shutdown thread, that people know the government has shut down in the past, and that they should prepare for such an event. That was met with harsh criticism.
You were met with harsh criticism because it was a harsh post/argument, and also because it was misleading. One, shutdowns never run this long (until the Tea Party election of 2010 they never lasted more than a couple days), so the idea that federal workers should have known this comes with the territory was incorrect.  Two, imagine how harsh that post would sound if you applied it to the vagaries of the private sector and expressed no sympathy towards its victims. Imagine this post next time there's mass private sector layoffs, especially if some of the posters here were victims of it: "Oh, they got laid off? Well that's gonna happen in the private sector, and they should know that. If you don't like it they can get a different job!"  If someone posted that they'd get destroyed a hundred times worse than what you got, and rightfully so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might. I have in the past. I've moved on lots of issues thanks to discussions in these forums.  I changed my primary vote in the 2016 race in large part because of the discussions, although I voted too late for it to matter.

You were met with harsh criticism because it was a harsh post/argument, and also because it was misleading. One, shutdowns never run this long (until the Tea Party election of 2010 they never lasted more than a couple days), so the idea that federal workers should have known this comes with the territory was incorrect.  Two, imagine how harsh that post would sound if you applied it to the vagaries of the private sector and expressed no sympathy towards its victims. Imagine this post next time there's mass private sector layoffs, especially if some of the posters here were victims of it: "Oh, they got laid off? Well that's gonna happen in the private sector, and they should know that. If you don't like it they can get a different job!"  If someone posted that they'd get destroyed a hundred times worse than what you got, and rightfully so.
Points taken.

I've been through it in the private sector. I've been down to my last nickel. I've walked a mile in those shoes. Feeling bad for someone vs giving advice are not mutually exclusive. 

I'd argue about the length of time the shutdown had been going on when I made that post. But, I'll practice my first comment in this post. 

We use to have a lot more of that before the PSF was split off from the FFA. There would be posters who didn't contribute regularly in a politically related thread but would do so occasionally when they had something worthwhile to say and that added so much to every discussion. Now we don't see them at all as they don't venture into this forum. Similarly I rarely post in the FFA anymore and I am sure I am not alone.

Unfortunately your excessive political ranting broke it. The right move would have been to not allow this political ranting madness but since they did the PSF was a great move. No one wants this constant regurgitation in the FFA which is supposed to be a laid back and enjoyable break from football. Knock yourself out in here. 

Unfortunately your excessive political ranting broke it. The right move would have been to not allow this political ranting madness but since they did the PSF was a great move. No one wants this constant regurgitation in the FFA which is supposed to be a laid back and enjoyable break from football. Knock yourself out in here. 
Meh.

Yeah, right... :coffee:

Squis...it is only one click away.  People can go back and forth in a split second.  You are a poll person and that is what the masses wanted.  I like the Kappy thread but only 4-5 of us keep it going.

Now at most times there are only 10-20 people at a given time in the PSF..so why let that small amount dominate the FFA.  Joe did the right thing.

It’s not my fault some post false information and try to pass it off as fact. And complaining about substance...while just singling out one poster and providing no substance of your own is an odd stance to make.

Also doesn’t make a place a liberal echo chamber...so what’s the actual point of your post other than to try and bash me?
You're the poster child for why this place is an echo chamber. Repeating a phrase over and over is pretty much the definition of an echo. 

What do you think these two posts of yours are?  So now I’m not a troll...I’m just not smart enough?

So insults...that’s cool.  But posting about topics and rightfully pointing out when people are posting false information is trolling?

Interestng take.
I called your behavior trolling. Repeating "blatant falsehood" over and over without any substance why, is trolling. 

You're the poster child for why this place is an echo chamber. Repeating a phrase over and over is pretty much the definition of an echo. 
It actually has zero to do with calling it a liberal echo chamber though.  You’d think you’d realize that rather than continuing with that pretty ridiculous notion.

I called your behavior trolling. Repeating "blatant falsehood" over and over without any substance why, is trolling. 
I have not repeated it without any substance and when asked backed up my position and always can.  That isn’t trolling to point out when someone posts false information on a topic.

It is, however, to post as you have often...not in any topic, not about my actual post...but about me only.

It actually has zero to do with calling it a liberal echo chamber though.  You’d think you’d realize that rather than continuing with that pretty ridiculous notion.
Back up your position:  Why does repeating a phrase (similar to using an emoji, which has been deemed trolling ) over and over without something to substantiate your opinion not contribute to an echo chamber?  How is that not an echo?  

Back up your position:  Why does repeating a phrase (similar to using an emoji, which has been deemed trolling ) over and over without something to substantiate your opinion not contribute to an echo chamber?  How is that not an echo?  
The bolded is again inaccurate.

Saying something is a liberal echo chamber is about a liberal being posted constantly and nothing else.  It has nothing to do with repeating a phrase when people have been , in fact, posting false information.

Do you understand what the term echo chamber even means?

OrtonToOlsen said:
For the love of the old gods and the new..

STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT HOW OTHERS REACT TO YOUR POSTS!

If you have an opinion feel free to post it.  
Bunch of old women in here.  Post your thoughts and stop being such snowflakes because someone mocks or makes fun of you. 

Let your facts and reasonable thought drive your argument without focusing on the childish nonsense. 

Bunch of old women in here.  Post your thoughts and stop being such snowflakes because someone mocks or makes fun of you. 

Let your facts and reasonable thought drive your argument without focusing on the childish nonsense. 
The problem is on any given day it is easily 10-1 liberals versus conservatives.  Nine of them are mocking the conservative and patting each other on the back for their stupid posts.  There is no reasonable thought driving anything.   It is all a bunch of stupid personalization, mischaracterization, and guilt by association.  There are no checks for the dishonesty and piss poor arguements put forward by the mob.  Sho nuff is the biggest peddler of false information.  He just made a false accusation against me.  After I showed him he was wrong and quoted numerous posts showing him the trolling I was talking about, he linked to a post which did not do what he said.   Normally he would get away with such crap, but this thread has finally attracted resistance to the normal stupidity.  

The problem is on any given day it is easily 10-1 liberals versus conservatives.  Nine of them are mocking the conservative and patting each other on the back for their stupid posts.  There is no reasonable thought driving anything.   It is all a bunch of stupid personalization, mischaracterization, and guilt by association.  There are no checks for the dishonesty and piss poor arguements put forward by the mob.  Sho nuff is the biggest peddler of false information.  He just made a false accusation against me.  After I showed him he was wrong and quoted numerous posts showing him the trolling I was talking about, he linked to a post which did not do what he said.   Normally he would get away with such crap, but this thread has finally attracted resistance to the normal stupidity.  
I see you claim this constant personal bashing of Trump supporters, but I don't really see it when I read the forums.  I will do some reading of your posts and the direct responses to see if I've let my own dislike of Trump color how I am perceiving responses. 

I do appreciate the reasonable response. 

The problem is on any given day it is easily 10-1 liberals versus conservatives.  Nine of them are mocking the conservative and patting each other on the back for their stupid posts.  There is no reasonable thought driving anything.   It is all a bunch of stupid personalization, mischaracterization, and guilt by association.  There are no checks for the dishonesty and piss poor arguements put forward by the mob.  
If this were true, wouldn’t I expect to see it if I reviewed a random page of the Russia thread, or the Shutdown thread, or the main Trump thread? No “reasonable thought”, all just attacks on conservatives?  “All” or at least 9 out of 10?

If this were true, wouldn’t I expect to see it if I reviewed a random page of the Russia thread, or the Shutdown thread, or the main Trump thread? No “reasonable thought”, all just attacks on conservatives?  “All” or at least 9 out of 10?

Not any random page, but one where there is a outside conservative poster taking issue with some point being made by the mob.  

Nothing I posted about you was false Jon. And your post did call people jerks and did generalize about people.  That isn100% fact.

Get away with it?  Nobody backed you up Jon.

Only 10-1? The safe space for liberal venting has accumulated more than 10 to 1 I would say. 

Not any random page, but one where there is a outside conservative poster taking issue with some point being made by the mob.  
A.  You are calling posters here a mob...yet complain about rhetoric of the board.

B.  If this behavior is so rampant, yes a ramdom page should show what you claim.

C. Outside conservative poster?  What does that even mean?

D.  You should also add context...because yes, often there might be a large ratio going after a post...particularly when the post is pretty bad.  Is that yiurncomplain?  Bad conservative posts (that likely meet no actual definition of being a conservative post) get met with scorn?

I see.  As an experiment I was hoping to look at a group of random postings and have people tally posts in different categories such as attacks, piling ons,  substantive posts, liberal vs. conservative, etc.  I'm still interested in this but I don't know how to select a random sampling of the issue you state above.  Anyway, my hypothesis is the tallies would be wildly different.

Only 10-1? The safe space for liberal venting has accumulated more than 10 to 1 I would say. 
Again, I would love for there to be more challenges from Trump supporters around here. I suspect many others would too.

Given that this board was split about 50/50 left/right and had opinions across the ideological spectrum just a couple years ago, it seems pretty obvious to me that what has changed isn't our demographics (it's mostly the same posters) but external factors, namely one of the sides quickly becoming indefensible.  And the fact that every Trump supporter constantly retreats to this "liberal echo chamber!" complaint is pretty good evidence of that. If there were substantive defenses to be made in defense of Trump/the GOP in 2019 you could make them no matter the split, especially on a board like this where personal insults and attacks are punished quickly. I should know- I did it with Hilary when she was even less popular around here than Trump.

sho nuff said:
You insulted anyone you claimed has made generalizations before.  And Jon...this isn’t the first time you used the word jerk.

Digging?  No, just burying your posts with your own words.  Pointing out and showing your own hypocrisy and showing that being a “conservative “ doesn’t get someone banned or suspended.

My point is clear and clearly exhibited by these posts.  Have fun I’m done with it.
Blatant Falsehood. You picked up this morning right where you left off with Jon. 

You can't help yourself, you don't want to quit the only job you've ever had. 

Blatant Falsehood. You picked up this morning right where you left off with Jon. 

You can't help yourself, you don't want to quit the only job you've ever had. 
Thanks for yet another quality contribution tony...the board is so much better for posts like this out of you.

Have a nice day.

Users who are viewing this thread