What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is this forum still an Anti Trump Echo Chamber (Was: just a liberal echo chamber?) (4 Viewers)

Honest question

Why would anyone register on a message board then ignore posters?

I mean , doesn't that mean that you actually want to be in an echo chamber?

Don't want to read people that disagree with you?
I do want to read people that disagree with me. The ones I put on ignore don't really provide any insightful challenges or counter points - they just generate a lot of noise that tends to make it harder to focus in on the worthwhile stuff. Previously I'd just scroll by posts by posters who'd been proven not to be worth paying attention to over time. Lately that noise has really drowned out the good posts - it's just the same inane stuff over and over and over again, every time. By putting them on ignore it's easier to see the interesting discussions. Any time I've clicked the "view this post" or whatever on one of those posters since putting them on ignore, I'm never rewarded with anything useful, it's just the same thing again. That's also evident when I see their initial posts when others reply to them. So I don't feel like I'm really missing anything. And like I said - those 9 accounts probably belong to like 3 distinct people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do want to read people that disagree with me. The ones I put on ignore don't really provide any insightful challenges or counter points - they just generate a lot of noise that tends to make it harder to focus in on the worthwhile stuff. Previously I'd just scroll by posts by posters who'd been proven not to be worth paying attention to over time. Lately that noise has really drowned out the good posts. By putting them on ignore it's easier to see the interesting discussions.
Fair enough

Honest question

Because certain people aren’t worth reading?  Certain people aren’t reasonable to have a discussion with or offer zero to any conversation.

It doesn’t mean it’s all one sided or opinion.  

It has nothing to do with agree or disagree...and I’m sure some that may agree with me also have me on ignore.

Honest question

Who said I ignore people that disagree with me?  It has nothing to do with disagreement or being offended or whatever.  I ignore people who aren't interesting to me.  Why would I want to read a bunch of uninteresting ramblings?  

Honest question

Some people aren't worth reading.   Could be because they're just trolls or they are unable to form a coherent thought.   It takes a while to land on my short list, but I'll eventually ignore someone that has shown that they aren't interested in actual discussion.   

Me either.   Never ignored, never reported.  Skip over stuff I don't want to read and handle any beefs like a man.
I find it strange that people take pride in filling their attention with things that don't interest them.  To be clear, I've never been provoked into ignoring someone.  In fact, if someone has provoked me that likely means that I find them interesting in some way.

Me either.   Never ignored, never reported.  Skip over stuff I don't want to read and handle any beefs like a man.
Yeah the report function to me is ludacris. I know Joe wants us to do it and encourages us too but it feels so immature and whiny to me.  

Honest question

I have about 4 pages of people on "ignore".   Many of them I still read on a regular basis, as long as they're involved in a good discussion with other posters.  But, when I see a discussion between, say, Happy, Sneezy, Dopey and Doc, that goes on forever, well, I know there's going to be nothing but whining, trolling, and whataboutisms in there.

I just don’t understand why people feel the need to use it. 
They use it because I ask them to so we can see things over the line. Without it, offensive posts often stay up and are commented on and drag other folks in. 

I think most people use it because they want a board that doesn't have stuff way over the line. 

Thanks. I haven't been to Mike's board in years. Is that a recent change or has it always been like that? 

I do think there's some "congregating" factor on boards. You want to go to a place where you feel you have something in common with the other people. 

My hope is it's less liberal or conservative or Anti-Trump or Pro-Trump but more the common bond of thoughtful discussion. 
There are less than a handful of libs there. It's not even a discussion there, just repubs bashing libs. I quit posting there despite being a member since 2002 a couple years ago where jokes about cancer is acceptable. Mike doesn't moderate that forum. It used to be very busy in the early to mid 2000s but so many have left that it's now just the usual suspects defending everything republicans and trump does. It's kindergarten over there. That's where some former members have landed. There is 0 respect over there. All women are gone except 2 who may post something every 2 or 3 months or more. 

This is the third time in recent memory that you have called me out by name, and I ignored you the first two times.  Did I hurt your feelings sometime in the past?  Can you link to one instance where I derisively referred to Gary Johnson voters?  Not saying I didn't do such a thing, but I think it's unlikely. 

I will return to ignoring you.  Feel free to follow my lead.
I figure he's got some family or other personal issues and just avoid him. He's always been a pretty salty dude. I hope he feels better soon.

I find it strange that people take pride in filling their attention with things that don't interest them.  To be clear, I've never been provoked into ignoring someone.  In fact, if someone has provoked me that likely means that I find them interesting in some way.
More like pride that I can discern and scroll past anything that doesn't interest me. Enough self control I don't need an ignore functions to build a wall (wink) for me between other posters.  

They use it because I ask them to so we can see things over the line. Without it, offensive posts often stay up and are commented on and drag other folks in. 

I think most people use it because they want a board that doesn't have stuff way over the line. 
Yes, it's a self moderated forum with a handful of people that post all day long that have taken on the role of hall monitors. That explains at least some of the inconsistency in moderation. 

More like pride that I can discern and scroll past anything that doesn't interest me. Enough self control I don't need an ignore functions to build a wall (wink) for me between other posters.  
I still don't think we understand each other.  What does self control have to do with what we're talking about?

I still don't think we understand each other.  What does self control have to do with what we're talking about?
Some people use the wall not only so they don't see other posters posts, but, to keep themselves from being tempted to respond. See every thread where people chant, "Quit replying to the trolls!  Put them on ignore!"  If I want to ignore someone I just scroll past. Self control. 

Perhaps I caught on after things had been removed.  I believe you when you say it was worse than what I saw and acknowledge that...fair enough.
BTW. No it's not that you caught on after things had been removed. Tim's posts where he said as much directly to me are still there. And I doubt you missed them because you posted several times during that time period on the same page. The fact that Joe had to remove posts that were across the line highlights my point. I'd wager you didn't see it because you didn't want to see it.  You're blind to anything that doesn't favor your side. 

Must have me confused for someone else.  I don't do that.  I legit voted for Gary Johnson last election.
Same here. This disenfranchised Republican is now a Democrat. I thought sending the GOP a message by bumping the Libertarian numbers would help get them back on track.

At least I tried.

When they post a blatant falsehood I will hit them with it...also usual suspects is an insult? Comparable to delusional?

oof...also at what point does someone give up trying to get my attention and stop trying to harass me.  How many of RWs posts in this thread were replies to me or about me? 
When you keep posting falsehoods I’m gonna keep correcting your falsehoods.  I’m not looking for your attention but keep trying to deflect this topic from your trolling embarrassing behavior into me. 

BTW. No it's not that you caught on after things had been removed. Tim's posts where he said as much directly to me are still there. And I doubt you missed them because you posted several times during that time period on the same page. The fact that Joe had to remove posts that were across the line highlights my point. I'd wager you didn't see it because you didn't want to see it.  You're blind to anything that doesn't favor your side. 
That’s kind of what I was thinking.  The bs posts about MAGA hats were some of the initial posts in that thread.  There is no way you could have “missed them” unless you stopped arbitrary like post #4.

When you keep posting falsehoods I’m gonna keep correcting your falsehoods.  I’m not looking for your attention but keep trying to deflect this topic from your trolling embarrassing behavior into me. 
Just declaring "falsehood" or "wrong" when really they just do not like the spin on the facts or they disagree with your opinion is pretty trollist.  What sho labels are a falsehood is most cases is not a falsehood. 

That’s kind of what I was thinking.  The bs posts about MAGA hats were some of the initial posts in that thread.  There is no way you could have “missed them” unless you stopped arbitrary like post #4.
Or you didn’t read the thread right away or closely?  I didn’t see a major storming of such posts...I was wrong and have said as much.

Just declaring "falsehood" or "wrong" when really they just do not like the spin on the facts or they disagree with your opinion is pretty trollist.  What sho labels are a falsehood is most cases is not a falsehood. 
We have been they this with Tony...no, when I have labeled something false...it’s because it is false.  As the example the many tony posted whew people claimed they were banned just for disagreeing with a liberal.

If someone telling you that your posts are false is trolling to you...you may need to step away from a message board of Thats too much.  Just like when people tried saying that asking questions about someone’s post was trolling.

:hifive:

Nearly filled my 6th as well.  (Would have guessed I was the only one though.)
I can only imagine how many are just a giant alias army. I have one guy on there that has an avatar that shows "SETH RICH" and an upside down American Flag. Most are accounts that I haven't seen in many months.

Yes, it's a self moderated forum with a handful of people that post all day long that have taken on the role of hall monitors. That explains at least some of the inconsistency in moderation. 
Actually, a wide range of people help with the reporting. 

As you'd expect from human nature, there are a lot more reports where people will let us know the "other" side is doing something wrong.

With the board so heavy on the Anti Trump sentiment, a post that is over the line from a Pro Trump supporter will for sure get lots more report than vice versa. But that's the reality of the situation. Can't really do much about that. 

All we can ask is folks help us when things are over the line. And NOT ASSUME mods see everything. They see a fraction. 

Sometimes posts are reported and the message attached is a "good to know this is cool now" and link to something super over the line. When in reality it's obviously not cool and never has been but it just hasn't been seen yet. 

Thanks. 

We have been they this with Tony...no, when I have labeled something false...it’s because it is false.  As the example the many tony posted whew people claimed they were banned just for disagreeing with a liberal.

If someone telling you that your posts are false is trolling to you...you may need to step away from a message board of Thats too much.  Just like when people tried saying that asking questions about someone’s post was trolling.
I disagree with your definition of 'blatant falsehood'.   The last time you went down that rabbit hole was in the West Side Story thread, when Knowledge Dropper made statements against the school for giving into the PC culture and responded to complaints from students of color.  You first asked for a link to back it up, which is OK, but then you labeled it a blatant falsehood later.  He was probably making a reasonable assumption that a complaint over 'a growing concern that students of color should be allowed to tell their own stories', was coming at least in part from students of color, but it was not explicitly stated in the article the racial makeup of the group of people making the complaint.  So while his statement was not explicated backed up by the article it was far from a blatant falsehood as you stated.  It probably was true that some of the complaining students were in fact minorities, which is probably why the college caved in.  They of course would want to hear and put much weight into their opinion on this subject.  It was reasonable conjecture on his part, which is far different than being blatantly false.

I disagree with your definition of 'blatant falsehood'.   The last time you went down that rabbit hole was in the West Side Story thread, when Knowledge Dropper made statements against the school for giving into the PC culture and responded to complaints from students of color.  You first asked for a link to back it up, which is OK, but then you labeled it a blatant falsehood later.  He was probably making a reasonable assumption that a complaint over 'a growing concern that students of color should be allowed to tell their own stories', was coming at least in part from students of color, but it was not explicitly stated in the article the racial makeup of the group of people making the claim.  So while his statement was not stated explicated in the article it was far from a blatant falsehood as you stated.  It probably was true that some of the complaining students were in fact minorities, which is probably why the college caved in.  They of course would want to hear and put much weight into their opinion on this subject.  It was reasonable conjecture on his part, which is far different than being blatantly false.
Go to that thread and read again Jon...first off I asked what his problem was with the students...his reply was to make a claim that wasn't in the article.  At that point I asked where in the article it says what he claimed...no use of blatant falsehood.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/773934-college-pressured-to-cancel-“west-side-story”-due-to-lack-of-minority-actors/?do=findComment&comment=21669779

In fact...it was KD who called my post a blatant falsehood...you can see him doing that and my post quoted here (note that my post has nothing false in it)

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/773934-college-pressured-to-cancel-“west-side-story”-due-to-lack-of-minority-actors/?do=findComment&comment=21670536

You can keep reading and you won't see me say anything about that.

If he was making a reasonable assumption...first Id argue it isn't a very reasonable assumption since it was never brought up whatsoever in any article (and being a small liberal arts school its reasonable to believe students of all colors may have an issue with it), but second he would have said as much.  Instead, he kept doubling down claiming the edited article now had it in there...but he could never point it out (because it wasn't actually in there).

So he was wrong in stating it in the first place...and then knowing it wasn't actually in the article he twice claimed it was.  And when called on it claimed I was trolling for pointing out that he was making claims that appeared to be false (and in fact, that is how I worded it throughout that thread).

If you want to be honest...look at the links and read that thread, its a short one.  Your "making a reasonable assumption" theory doesn't hold water based on the facts as I just pointed out.  But it seems you would rather argue against the facts and how the conversation actually went and make a false claim about what I said in that thread (I never proclaimed anything a blatant falsehood as you claim in bold above...but I would have been right to have done so after he claimed it was in the edited article)

Actually, a wide range of people help with the reporting. 

As you'd expect from human nature, there are a lot more reports where people will let us know the "other" side is doing something wrong.

With the board so heavy on the Anti Trump sentiment, a post that is over the line from a Pro Trump supporter will for sure get lots more report than vice versa. But that's the reality of the situation. Can't really do much about that. 

All we can ask is folks help us when things are over the line. And NOT ASSUME mods see everything. They see a fraction. 

Sometimes posts are reported and the message attached is a "good to know this is cool now" and link to something super over the line. When in reality it's obviously not cool and never has been but it just hasn't been seen yet. 

Thanks. 
Not to keep harping on a specific point, but I flushed out the C3PO lovers for you so you get rid of them.  Dont know how much more I can do.

Again.  Middle aged, high income, white guys is the antithesis of a liberal echo chamber.

Why is no one from Trump's team admitting that it's an anti-Trump echo chamber (because he's horrible beyond words), and not a liberal echo chamber.  We represent moderate conservatives since the only ones who still support him are his core base of deeply religious, uneducated whites, and the super rich (I guess). 

At least be honest with yourselves here. 

Again.  Middle aged, high income, white guys is the antithesis of a liberal echo chamber.

Why is no one from Trump's team admitting that it's an anti-Trump echo chamber (because he's horrible beyond words), and not a liberal echo chamber.  We represent moderate conservatives since the only ones who still support him are his core base of deeply religious, uneducated whites, and the super rich (I guess). 

This is the perfect post for this thread.

I'd say waiting for the "other" side to admit "their guy" is "horrible beyond words" is likely going to be a long wait.

Regardless of the forum and the topic and whoever their guy is. 

I do agree though it's important to be honest and accept a couple of things:

1. The forum is massively weighted toward Anti-Trump. It is what it is. 

2. Echo Chambers of any type are pretty boring. I'd hope we can be honest and do a few things:

1. Accept the forum can easily become an Anti Trump Echo Chamber

2. Focus on generating intelligent discussion.

3. Realizing intelligent discussion often involves seeking to understand those with different opinions than our own. 

We'll see. I'm not overly optimistic. But we'll try. 

It is not an anti-Trump echo chamber, it is a Trump Hate-fest echo chamber.  I think he is a corrupt idiot, but that is not enough in here.  There is nothing moderate about this forum. 

It is not an anti-Trump echo chamber, it is a Trump Hate-fest echo chamber.  I think he is a corrupt idiot, but that is not enough in here.  There is nothing moderate about this forum. 
You're splitting hairs here. it can easily lean to an Anti Trump Echo Chamber. Some people hate him I'm sure. 

Just leave it as Anti Trump Echo Chamber and go about trying to generate good discussion. You have more ability to change things here than I bet you realize. 

More constructive discussion. Less complaining. That works for everyone. 

Agree it is a Trump hate fest.  And from my personal perspective it's because I love my country and it sicken me to see someone like him leading it.  And the way he leads is by fear and taking zero responsibility, if you were writing a book on how to be a horrible executive, those would be two of the main traits.  But like Joe said, those who adore him will not be swayed by any of our words, I just couldn't let it be said that this place is a liberal echo chamber cause it's not. 

Users who are viewing this thread