What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is this forum still an Anti Trump Echo Chamber (Was: just a liberal echo chamber?) (2 Viewers)

spider321

Footballguy
Testing 1, 2...

Joe Note:

Edited title.

I think we can say definitively, No, the forum is not a liberal echo chamber.

I do think we have a significant challenge in the forum is about 85% "Anti Trump". That's not the same as "liberal".

And I firmly believe anytime something is out of balance to the degree of 85:15, there's a worry it does become an echo chamber.

So what I'm asking people to do here. Understand the reality of how the board is split. If you're in the 85%, please acknowledge your majority position and be extra cool. If you're in the minority position, understand right or wrong, you'll have a disproportionately larger voice for your side so be you're best. Both points are actually good things we all should try and do. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My not anti conservative, I'm anti GOP. They warned us how bad Trump was and how he had no business being POTUS. Then, when he won, those same key GOP figures have supported him at almost every turn. 
I seriously don’t know how Ted Cruz looks himself in the mirror each day.  If somebody talks about my wife like that I wouldn’t ##### out and kiss the ring.

Testing 1, 2...
Don’t know about you but I’ve voted Democrat the majority of my time. This forum has made me see the error of my ways as I will never vote Dem again. Thank you fellow Conservatives for showing me, on this forum, that I can be the true racist my heart tells me to be. I didn’t know all of my true bigotry and misogyny until I saw others like me. It’s truly an amazing experience. Where did my Tang go?

The GOP nominated and successfully elected the worst president of at least the post-WWII era and probably all of American history.  He's a dangerously incompetent racist authoritarian.  So yeah, the forum probably seems like a left-wing echo chamber right now because who really wants to be that guy who defends Trump on whatever his atrocity of the day is?  

I would say in many ways yes, it is becoming a liberal echo chamber. Here's why: about 80% of the conservatives in this forum have disappeared. They no longer post, perhaps because because they're disgusted with Trump and don't want to defend him. I don't know the reasons, that's just a guess on my part.

The ones who have left have largely been replaced by trolls. The trolls make "hit and run" posts or "hit and run" threads (like this one) in which they make some inflammatory statement and then refuse to engage in any discussion or debate. A few trolls DO engage in debate, but usually that's even worse, as they repeat falsehoods over and over and when confronted with the truth either change the subject or demand links which they never respond to.

The remaining conservatives from before are quiet and don't post all that often.

@spider321  A big MO of the echo chamber is you are going to be called a troll numerous times for pointing out it is an echo chamber.  Also, don’t ever play “troll” drinking game when reading a thread in this forum.  

I would say in many ways yes, it is becoming a liberal echo chamber. Here's why: about 80% of the conservatives in this forum have disappeared. They no longer post, perhaps because because they're disgusted with Trump and don't want to defend him. I don't know the reasons, that's just a guess on my part.

The ones who have left have largely been replaced by trolls. The trolls make "hit and run" posts or "hit and run" threads (like this one) in which they make some inflammatory statement and then refuse to engage in any discussion or debate. A few trolls DO engage in debate, but usually that's even worse, as they repeat falsehoods over and over and when confronted with the truth either change the subject or demand links which they never respond to.

The remaining conservatives from before are quiet and don't post all that often.
I think this is pretty accurate.

For most discussions, anything short of denouncing President Trump seems to mean the person is in Trump's "cult". For most people I know who lean conservatively, it's just not worth it to engage. 

And that's not a knock on us or the forum. The whole country is this way. 

Not sure there's any real answer.

I think this is pretty accurate.

For most discussions, anything short of denouncing President Trump seems to mean the person is in Trump's "cult". For most people I know who lean conservatively, it's just not worth it to engage. 

And that's not a knock on us or the forum. The whole country is this way. 

Not sure there's any real answer.
When Bush was president, many liberals disagreed with his policies and thought he wasn't an intellectual, but he received no where near the scorn that Trump does.  Why?  Because he was actually a decent human being who could string two sentences together who didn't take the office on the basis of such nationalist and partisan themes like "build that wall", "lock her up" while causally tossing about middle school insults.  Trump is unique in just about everything he does, and while his base loves him, most of the country despises virtually everything about him.

And he's hijacked the entire conservative party so unfortunately conservatives are tied to him for the foreseeable future.  It's almost impossible to separate conservatism in America with Trumpism these days. 

The GOP nominated and successfully elected the worst president of at least the post-WWII era and probably all of American history.  He's a dangerously incompetent racist authoritarian.  So yeah, the forum probably seems like a left-wing echo chamber right now because who really wants to be that guy who defends Trump on whatever his atrocity of the day is?  
And kind of like how all of the pre-election polls were wrong... because those supporting Trump at the time were not willing to say it out loud.

And kind of like how all of the pre-election polls were wrong... because those supporting Trump at the time were not willing to say it out loud.
I have a feeling all those that were not saying it out loud are really regretting it now.  The ones that were loud and proud to support him before and just as loud and proud now.

it's an echo chamber for the 75% of non trump supporters who happen to be any combination of liberal, democrat, independent, libertarian and conservative republicans.  I don't know how many times this needs repeated. 

And those of you in the 25% group who support Trump...congratulations in being in the same small group as nazis, Russians, white supremacists and fake news enablers.  Great group you have going there.  :thumbup:     

Why would he?   It took 4 posts for him to be called a troll.   I believe it’s proven based on the responses that his question was rhetorical.  
The thread title is a deliberate provocation. Saying something stupid and then playing the victimization card is pretty much what we've seen out of Trump supporters the past couple of years. It's why Donald is forever 4-chan's president. It's what they do.

It's almost impossible to separate conservatism in America with Trumpism these days. 
Many of us have tried. We’ve used phrases like “Never Trumpers” and “real conservatives” and “traditional conservatives”, etc, and imagined there was a movement of right wingers disgusted with what’s happening. 

The sad truth is it’s a fantasy. It doesn’t exist. Among Republicans, Donald Trump consistently has higher approval numbers than any Republican politician in modern history, including Reagan. The CPAC convention gave him their highest level of approval, and angrily booed out the one woman (Mona Charen) who offered the slightest criticism. Even those few senators willing to verbally criticize Trump (on rare occasions) still vote for whatever he wants 99% of the time and offer the flimisieat of excuses while trying to maintain their clams of “independence.” 

Conservatives opposed to Trump? So rare as to be considered extinct. 

Dont go there.  A growing number of republicans feel the democrats are racist.  Meanwhile people call trump racist. This is tearing the nation apart.  This is language we cannot walk back.  We shouldnt encourage it on either side in any way.  We need to come together. 

Many of us have tried. We’ve used phrases like “Never Trumpers” and “real conservatives” and “traditional conservatives”, etc, and imagined there was a movement of right wingers disgusted with what’s happening. 

The sad truth is it’s a fantasy. It doesn’t exist. Among Republicans, Donald Trump consistently has higher approval numbers than any Republican politician in modern history, including Reagan. The CPAC convention gave him their highest level of approval, and angrily booed out the one woman (Mona Charen) who offered the slightest criticism. Even those few senators willing to verbally criticize Trump (on rare occasions) still vote for whatever he wants 99% of the time and offer the flimisieat of excuses while trying to maintain their clams of “independence.” 

Conservatives opposed to Trump? So rare as to be considered extinct. 
I think though that there is a modest group of conservatives out there who agree with Mona... some of whom thanked her in private and offered her their support. My hope is that there are more, and will continue to be more, and that with increasing numbers, eventually it will become a public movement against the current state of the GOP.

If that’s your opinion then don’t take the bait.  But there are times I have a question but not time to go back and forth.  I can come read the replies later.  Asking a question and not staying and replying is not trolling. 
LOL  So that's what you think this spider-dude was up to?  Totally wanted to have productive, mature discussion, but then he started the thread and got called away?  My God, I hope this is just an act by you.

If that’s your opinion then don’t take the bait.  But there are times I have a question but not time to go back and forth.  I can come read the replies later.  Asking a question and not staying and replying is not trolling. 
So, you think he posted a legitimate question in order to engage in a constructive conversation?

it's an echo chamber for the 75% of non trump supporters who happen to be any combination of liberal, democrat, independent, libertarian and conservative republicans.  I don't know how many times this needs repeated. 

And those of you in the 25% group who support Trump...congratulations in being in the same small group as nazis, Russians, white supremacists and fake news enablers.  Great group you have going there.  :thumbup:     
Oh yeah....the Nazi card.   People wonder why nobody pro Trump posts?   Why bother.   

Dont go there.  A growing number of republicans feel the democrats are racist.  Meanwhile people call trump racist. This is tearing the nation apart.  This is language we cannot walk back.  We shouldnt encourage it on either side in any way.  We need to come together. 
Another thing tearing the nation apart is the fact that the President is a big ol' racist.

Oh yeah....the Nazi card.   People wonder why nobody pro Trump posts?   Why bother.   
Technically he didn't call anyone specifically a Nazi.  I think we can all agree that the people who are affiliated with Nazi groups are most likely Trump supporters so if one is really a Trump supporter then it would be accurate to place them in a group of people that Nazis are in.  It's a bit of an generalization.

Users who are viewing this thread