What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Rashaad Penny, PHI (3 Viewers)

Really interesting RB.  Not too worried about his lack of long speed - he runs hard all the time.  He’s nimble for his size and very willing.  I do worry about his vision and lack of explosiveness - those two factors may really hold him back from what he could be at the next level.  O scheme could make or break him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really interesting RB.  Not to worried about his lack of long speed - he runs hard all the time.  He’s nimble for his size and very willing.  I do worry about his vision and lack of explosiveness - those two factors may really hold him back from what he could be at the next level.  O scheme could make or break him.
I'll be very interested to see the results of his 3-cone and short burst explosion drills (like the broad jump).  I actually see some nice explosion and lateral movement on the tape I've watched although I've seen others express concern about his explosiveness.

FWIW, I have him at #4 in my rankings currently (PPR).  In my assessment his only real question mark is his pass-pro as I haven't seen much of that.

Rotoworld's Thor Nystrom questions whether San Diego State RB Rashaad Penny can be a three-down back in the NFL.

While Nystrom loves the 5-foot-11, 220-pound Penny's ability once he hits the open field, as well as his upside in the return game, he sees serious drawbacks in the San Diego State star's game which could potentially limit him at the next level. Writes Nystrom, "I don’t see him as a fit for teams that like to air it out. Penny wasn’t used much as a receiver at SDSU, and he’s a horrific pass blocker." Adding context to these comments, Penny underwhelmed at the Senior Bowl last month. His game is not without its appeal, but it's a very imperfect game. Feb 17 - 4:57 PM

Source: Rotoworld

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller listed San Diego State RB Rashaad Penny as one of the players who raised question marks after Senior Bowl practices.

Penny was one of the best performers in the game -- Miller named him one of standouts on Saturday, as well -- but his performance in practices leading up to it left a lot to be desired. "Penny is a player I really liked on film and expected to see have a big week in Mobile, but he was largely absent in drills on Tuesday and Wednesday," Miller writes. This is a very strong running back class, and Penny is one of the reasons that the group gets that title. He'll have to show up at the combine and his pro day if he's going to be a Day 2 pick, however. 

Jan 28 - 4:39 PM

Source: Bleacher Report

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay both listed San Diego State RB Rashaad Penny as a player who "raised more questions than he answered" after his week of Senior Bowl practice.

Kiper listed Penny as one of his potential sleepers coming into the Senior Bowl, but neither he nor McShay had much positive to say about his week. "We know Penny can run -- he rushed for 2,248 yards in 2017 -- but he needed to show that he could do the little things, and that didn't happen," writes Kiper. "He also struggled in pass protection." McShay was similarly harsh, saying that he thought Penny would be the top back here, and that it "simply wasn't the case." Fortunately for the former Aztec this is just three days of practice, but it doesn't sound like he improved his stock in Mobile. 

Jan 26 - 5:06 PM

Source: ESPN

Bojang0301 said:
I know I shouldn’t but sometimes you just point for the OF wall and call your shot. He looks like this guy to me...  :ph34r:
Watching his highlights I can't figure out if he is that elusive or his line was fantastic, because he rarely got touched.. I know they are just his highlights but from them you'll never determine if he can break tackles. .. He didn't have to.

“Horrific pass blocker” are not 3 words you want to describe you in today’s NFL...
here is the thing about this take on players coming into the NFL, this is a skill they don't have their best players work on in college and you can say it about 80% of the coming in RBs every year. This is also a skill can that be acquired while being in the league a la LeSean McCoy

I’m always drafting my players based on pass blocking... I’ve had Joe Thomas since day one, zero championships. I don’t understand.
Nothing a Head Coach like more than his QB getting lit up and lost for the season...always a great strategy...

here is the thing about this take on players coming into the NFL, this is a skill they don't have their best players work on in college and you can say it about 80% of the coming in RBs every year. This is also a skill can that be acquired while being in the league a la LeSean McCoy
Don't disagree but they are saying horrific...not raw...not needs work...that is a major negative...doesn't mean he can't get over it but it is a big red flag...

You are right...he was the only one who said horrific...the other guy upgraded him to struggled...big jump up from horrific...should be no concerns than...

Don't disagree but they are saying horrific...not raw...not needs work...that is a major negative...doesn't mean he can't get over it but it is a big red flag...
I agree with the previous statement as well that 80% of RBs coming into the league need to work on this skill. As far as it being a big red flag due to one rotoworld opinion I’ll disagree. 

um, he's going to need to be on the field if you want him to get you points...
It’s an absolutely asinine assessment. I agree, coaches like to emphasize pass blocking. Pass blocking has never stopped someone with pure talent from being on the field and is a trait that is learned not something that is inherent. Other than playing time, which is a constant point of madness for fantasy owners anyway because of its arbitrary nature from coach to coach, it’s as close to a worthless trait to evaluate as possible.

Combine will be huge for him. Both his test numbers but also how he looks catching the ball. If he does well with those things he could end up a 2nd round pick. If he doesn't do well there, he might end up a 5th round pick. 

Combine will be huge for him. Both his test numbers but also how he looks catching the ball. If he does well with those things he could end up a 2nd round pick. If he doesn't do well there, he might end up a 5th round pick. 
This class is pretty special. The combine is going to be important for a lot of backs to separate themselves from the field.

I’m always drafting my players based on pass blocking... I’ve had Joe Thomas since day one, zero championships. I don’t understand.
blasting someones pass blocking coming out of college is like my boss at performance review time saying "you need to work on your communication skills" when I'm a coder.

So odd the way some react to players’ weaknesses on this board.  They get on board with the guy and suddenly he’s the perfect player and therefore any negatives either are false or just don’t matter.
Pass pro means nothing to me in regards to how these backs should be ranked. Every year, every back is criticized for pass protection and in the end it means very little to nothing in the fantasy world. Bunch of couch scouts making themselves feel self important describing pass protection. It’s a learned trait, something that will be demanded of by all teams and depends largely on couching staff. It is also unpredictable in learning curve and subjective in its evaluation. It’s a complete waste of time to discuss.

So odd the way some react to players’ weaknesses on this board.  They get on board with the guy and suddenly he’s the perfect player and therefore any negatives either are false or just don’t matter.
Well to be fair...If the one true weakness is pass blocking, that will not turn off most teams...Nor would it turn off most Fantasy Footballers..

blasting someones pass blocking coming out of college is like my boss at performance review time saying "you need to work on your communication skills" when I'm a coder.
In all fairness to your boss, in today's world programmers need to have communication skills they didn't necessarily need 30 to 40 years ago.  I know this because I am a software developer. 

It would be a lot more like him telling you during the interview that you'll need to work on a new language of code when you got a 4.0 working on the languages that were taught at your school so agree to meet him at a job fair that has live demos and you also invite him to an event at your school where he can give you the basics of that language and see if you demonstrate some competence learning it quickly.  

San Diego State RB Rashaad Penny measured 5-foot-11, 220 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Penny comes in right at his listed school weight for the 2017 season. Some additional measurements for the Aztecs standout -- 9 2/8-inch hands, 31 2/8-inch arms and a total wingspan of 76 inches. While Rotoworld's Thor Nystrom has his concerns about whether Penny can handle the work of a three-down back in an NFL -- he's not much of a receiver or pass-catcher -- he has stock upside for Day 2.

Source: Charles Robinson on Twitter 

Feb 28 - 12:45 PM

Pass pro means nothing to me in regards to how these backs should be ranked. Every year, every back is criticized for pass protection and in the end it means very little to nothing in the fantasy world. Bunch of couch scouts making themselves feel self important describing pass protection. It’s a learned trait, something that will be demanded of by all teams and depends largely on couching staff. It is also unpredictable in learning curve and subjective in its evaluation. It’s a complete waste of time to discuss.
I agree the right couch makes a huge difference when sitting down and evaluating these RB's.  :P

Users who are viewing this thread