Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Bojang0301

Dynasty: Rashaad Penny, Seattle Seahawks

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Soulfly3 said:

Penny was on FIRE yesterday.

What does FIRE get him? 12 carries and not a catch. 

A back who was drafted so highly (I have to assume) because he is a fantastic pass catcher on top of beastly runner.

I just don't understand how that gamescript, combined w his performance, led to only 12 carries. I'm glad they lost.

His opportunities has to rise.  Seahawks have ran 288 times for 32 carries per game.  Passed 247 for 27 attempts per game.  Penny needs at least 15 carries per game sprinkle in 2 or 3 targets per game.  The other 15 or so carries for Wilson/insert Sea RB.  Carson is injury prone.  Penny has a real chance to take over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Little early to be making declarations one way or another. He had a good game, could be the start of something it it could be the broken clock principle.

And it's important to remember that Carson has looked very good as well.

Edited by Chaka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, Carson is playing very well. Better than Penny on the season.

Penny had one nice game on limited duty. He needs to keep performing in his role if he wlis going to earn more PT.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Bojang0301 said:

Jesus Christ... #### Pete Carroll.

Yeah, screw him trying to win games and make the playoffs. 

I'VE GOT A FANTASY TITLE ON THE LINE HERE PETE!!!

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, davearm said:

Yeah, screw him trying to win games and make the playoffs. 

I'VE GOT A FANTASY TITLE ON THE LINE HERE PETE!!!

I’m not the one who looks like an idiot for wasting a first on a RB and then sitting him on the bench for 75% of the season so far. The Seahawks and Giants look like clowns.

If they were trying to win as you suggest they wouldn’t have drafted a running back. Also I don’t care what your opinion is, I’m allowed to #####.

Edited by Bojang0301

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bojang0301 said:

Jesus Christ... #### Pete Carroll.

he showed up overweight and looked like #### most of the year...a few good runs and now you want to anoint him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bojang0301 said:

I’m not the one who looks like an idiot for wasting a first on a RB and then sitting him on the bench for 75% of the season so far. The Seahawks and Giants look like clowns.

If they were trying to win as you suggest they wouldn’t have drafted a running back. Also I don’t care what your opinion is, I’m allowed to #####.

My understanding is, Pete Carroll doesn't make the draft picks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, davearm said:

My understanding is, Pete Carroll doesn't make the draft picks.

That would make some sense.

I think a coaching staff should be aligned with the front office and be a major factor in their decision making process. The good teams seem to do this, the bad ones don't.

That said Seattle has been a very successful team despite this miscommunication between the coaching staff and front office and they are doing better than I expected so far this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rove! said:

he showed up overweight and looked like #### most of the year...a few good runs and now you want to anoint him?

He hasn’t looked like #### most of the year. He has a 6.2 ypc after week 4. No, I don’t want to annoit him. I want Carson to sit out another week to actually give him an extended look. Sorry I like RB’s that break repeated +15 yard runs. It’s awful, I know.

Edited by Bojang0301

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I would like to believe anyone with a fantasy team would like some clarity in Seattle. It’s not like I’m devoid of owning Carson or Davis anywhere. Right now all three are unstartable until after the Thursday game in my estimation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Biabreakable said:

That would make some sense.

I think a coaching staff should be aligned with the front office and be a major factor in their decision making process. The good teams seem to do this, the bad ones don't.

That said Seattle has been a very successful team despite this miscommunication between the coaching staff and front office and they are doing better than I expected so far this season.

I don't think there's any miscommunication between the coaching staff and the front office. Pete Carroll and John Schneider have repeatedly, year after year, reiterated how much the coaches and the scouts work together to identify the qualities they want in drafted players and undrafted free agents. The problem with Penny was not that the coaches didn't like him or didn't want him, but that he injured himself in preseason, that he never ran out of shotgun in college, and that the Seahawks run out of shotgun about 70% of the time. After missing all of his opportunities in preseason to practice taking the handoff from shotgun it took some time to get used to the difference. Just last week, Carroll was talking about how close Penny was, how much explosiveness they'd seen from him in practice, and that we were all going to be seeing it soon.

This all could have been Carroll speak, of course, but I've been following the team very closely as a fan for the last 8 years and it sounded like Carroll was genuinely enthusiastic about Penny for the second half of the season in the same way that he was really excited about Chris Carson and Tre Flowers early on.

If you can get Penny in Dynasty, grab him. He has a weird type of acceleration that doesn't look fast or explosive, but it's really effective, and he's got the frame and discipline to run inside. I don't know how much of a carry share he'll get for the rest of the year, but I picked him up for redraft last week,  but didn't start. 

Edited by xrayveggin
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bojang0301 said:

Also, I would like to believe anyone with a fantasy team would like some clarity in Seattle. It’s not like I’m devoid of owning Carson or Davis anywhere. Right now all three are unstartable until after the Thursday game in my estimation.

The problem is that all three of the RBs look good.  Carson has looked the best to me but also seems to injured a lot.  Penny looked great but it was a small sample size.  If I was going to gamble, I would add Penny to my roster since Carson is likely to be injured again and Penny should do well.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There IS clarity though... Chris Carson and Mike Davis are the top 2 backs because of their tough running style and ability to pass protect. Lyin' Cheatin' Pete has always valued that toughness in his backs and will trust them if healthy. Penny hasn't grasped the full playbook yet and is a suspect pass protector i.e. he's not seeing the field on passing downs. He's not in a position to take over any role in the backfield outside of injury.

 

Carson should probably see 14-16 carries instead of the 20+ he had Week 8 and was on pace for before he was hurt Week 9. Those caries probably will be split between Davis and Penny.

Edited by The Frankman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still don’t even trust Penny to not put up a zero spot again. Schottenheimer openly said Penny was struggling picking up the offense this week. I’m happy for the flash of talent but all the deficiencies so far with the weight gain, lack of usage and now this... this guy needs to grow up before he’s a fantasy asset.

Edited by Bojang0301

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This blurb does not inspire confidence ... one step forward ...

 

Wed, Nov 14

Seahawks OC Brian Schottenheimer said Rashaad Penny is still struggling to pick up the offense.

Advice: "He’s still a young player," Schottenheimer said. "He still has those times in the meetings where it’s like, Rashaad, are you listening? The season is long. I think it was really good for his confidence to go out there and do what he did." Penny went off for 108 yards and a touchdown on the Rams with Chris Carson sidelined, but he's still behind Carson for lead duties. Penny's Week 10 breakout may be enough to move him ahead of Mike Davis as the No. 2 back.

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll suggested Rashaad Penny may not have much of a Week 11 role.

 

"When everybody’s healthy, not everybody’s going to get the ball," Carroll said. "That’s just the way it goes. Chris [Carson] is going to be healthy this week and he’ll be excited to get back out there." This throws shade on Penny forcing his way into a timeshare. Penny's blowup Week 10 has earned him a few more reps after getting buried the last few games, but this is still Carson's backfield.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

The problem is that all three of the RBs look good.  Carson has looked the best to me but also seems to injured a lot.  Penny looked great but it was a small sample size.  If I was going to gamble, I would add Penny to my roster since Carson is likely to be injured again and Penny should do well.   

That's the thing. This is one of the most run dominent offenses in the NFL. There is nothing wrong trying to figure out which 1or 2 guys to have on your team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit frustrating to watch him do so well with limited touches last night, then they just basically ran Carson the entire second half. Not that Carson didn't run well but still, would have been nice to see him mixed in a little later in the game. Still will need an injury to Carson in order for him to flourish this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty clear SEA backfield is your basic RBBC... at least for rest of this season.

There may be individual big games, but no way to see it coming.

Edited by Dizzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Rashaad Penny rushed seven times for 65 yards and a touchdown in the Seahawks' Week 13 win over the 49ers.

Penny still worked as the clear No. 2 to Chris Carson for most of this game, but he had several explosive runs including a 20-yard touchdown on the opening play of the second half – Tyler Lockett set up the offense with a long kickoff return. It is notable, however, that Carson left this game in the fourth quarter with a finger injury. Coach Pete Carroll said Carson should be fine, but if he is forced to miss time, Penny will be on the RB2 map.

Dec 2 - 9:05 PM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carson missed the end of the game for a dislocated finger. 

But he also had to get stitches for a dislocated finger, so something doesn't add up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Hilts said:

Carson missed the end of the game for a dislocated finger. 

But he also had to get stitches for a dislocated finger, so something doesn't add up. 

That can add up fine... He gets his finger mashed between a facemask, cutting it and dislocating it. You could be right and there could be something they're keeping off the report so it bears watching. 

He did, however, outsnap Davis this week. Not exactly a startable asset now that bye weeks are behind us, but it bodes well for his future. Carson is made of glass...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Missed all the other hot adds with 0 FAAB left in one league but I’ve got a bye and lost Conner so I’m gonna give it a whirl for a week or two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Rashaad Penny (knee) is out for Week 15 against the 49ers.

It seems like Penny is always hurt, but this is actually his first career absence. The 22-year-old got off to a sluggish start this year but has impressed recently, thriving in a change-of-pace role behind starter Chris Carson. Mike Davis should see more work in his absence, though Carson is still the preferred fantasy play.

Source: John Boyle on Twitter 

Dec 14 - 4:25 PM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Rashaad Penny rushed four times for 29 yards in Seattle's Wild Card loss to the Cowboys.

Like most of the year, Penny worked as the No. 3 back behind Chris Carson and Mike Davis in Seattle's Wild Card game. Although the rookie showed explosiveness in averaging 4.8 yard per carry this season, he ultimately didn't receive enough carries (91 total) to become a viable weekly option. With Mike Davis likely gone in free agency, the former first-round pick will enter the new league year as Seattle's No. 2 with the ability to leapfrog Carson for a starting role in camp. Keep him locked in as a late-round Best Ball pick this upcoming May.

Jan 6 - 1:32 AM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of people here have him on their buy lists. Not in my leagues. I got one offer for him last year and it was probably in the preseason. In one league I was considering cutting him recently. I was able to make a 2 for 1 trade and have room now but I'm afraid he will just clog my roster. I can't see his path forward so long as Carson is there. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i sold one of my shares a few weeks ago, tough to feel too optimistic for 2019 (Carson is on a cheap rookie contract, will be curious to see when/if extended)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a first round running back, Penny is going to get another chance. Now is the time to buy him. Dirt cheap. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll probably know what we're in for with him at training camp. The kid flashed this year so seems like he could be talented. The big question is if he is going to dedicate himself this offseason. If he comes into camp in shape, serious and beasting then he'll get a fair shot. If questions of work ethic, fitness level, etc... start to swirl again then I'd say he's a lost cause.

The ball is in his court. The Seahawks want him to succeed and not be a wasted 1st rd pick

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately I agree with those stating Carson has the job on lock. I haven’t changed my initial feelings on Penny but feel like this is a Mark Ingram type of deal. Is it worth it to wait until year three or four until there is a breakout or be wishing and hoping for a Carson injury? Not sure. I’d sell if the price is right and I’d try to buy at the end of ‘19 if Carson maintains health and the lead job. I don’t think I’d buy right now, those that have him will want the same return from the investment and he flashed enough to believe they deserve it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FreshiZ said:

The Seahawks want him to succeed and not be a wasted 1st rd pick

While, I'm sure they want him to succeed, the Seahawks, more than any other team, are a meritocracy. Chris Carson played at a pro bowl level this year, and unless that drastically changes, its hard to see Penny getting even 35% of the worklaod, since he's not a great pass catcher.

I actually think Carson wouldn't be a bad buy low right now, with people expecting a much bigger role for Penny.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, travdogg said:

.

I actually think Carson wouldn't be a bad buy low right now, with people expecting a much bigger role for Penny.

Got a trade offer for Penny yesterday that confused me so much I turned it down after thinking about it all day, then later changed my mind and offered it up. I view Penny as a buy low but was hoping to pay with something else.

I'd  actually consider both Penny and Carson good buy lows. Mike Davis is taking about 9 fantasy points a game with him so it's easy to see Penny picking up a lot or most of that slack even if he did not actually take from Carson at all.  Saw Carson get dealt for 2.1 a few days ago in a league of mine and that to me is buying kind of low. Looked at Dan Hindery's trade value chart he just put out two days ago and based on that Carson and Penny align up with value of picks 11 and 12. I think those are all good buy low prices.

I think both are pretty talented  young RB's who barring a trade are likely going to be playing with each other two more years.  Like you said SEA always preaches competition, a meritocracy. Depending on how you want to look at it that is good or bad for Penny. Bad in the sense he's not going to be get the job served up to him because of his draft status, good because he can still compete to take a bigger role away from Carson. One positive is Schneider is on the aggressive side so if they really feel good about Penny, I could see them moving Carson before this possible two year timeframe is up.

Main part of my appeal to Penny was I thought he just looked really good on his limited chances. He made me think of David Johnson's rookie year when he was behind CJ and Ellington and it took both of them getting hurt for him to break out in week 13. Those two don't get hurt late in season, it's very likely David Johnson is available for peanuts the offseason after his rookie year. I'm banking on fact that major difference between the two is Penny just was not as fortunate on the injury situation as David Johnson was,  but eventually the talent will get him there.

Just hope they start involving their RB's in passing game more. When they drafted Penny I heard a lot of talk that using him in passing game was a big part of their plan, that they had specific things in mind for him in passing game. More involvement in the passing game and he won't even need to overtake Carson to at least start being usable.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, menobrown said:

Got a trade offer for Penny yesterday that confused me so much I turned it down after thinking about it all day, then later changed my mind and offered it up. I view Penny as a buy low but was hoping to pay with something else.

I'd  actually consider both Penny and Carson good buy lows. Mike Davis is taking about 9 fantasy points a game with him so it's easy to see Penny picking up a lot or most of that slack even if he did not actually take from Carson at all.  Saw Carson get dealt for 2.1 a few days ago in a league of mine and that to me is buying kind of low. Looked at Dan Hindery's trade value chart he just put out two days ago and based on that Carson and Penny align up with value of picks 11 and 12. I think those are all good buy low prices.

I think both are pretty talented  young RB's who barring a trade are likely going to be playing with each other two more years.  Like you said SEA always preaches competition, a meritocracy. Depending on how you want to look at it that is good or bad for Penny. Bad in the sense he's not going to be get the job served up to him because of his draft status, good because he can still compete to take a bigger role away from Carson. One positive is Schneider is on the aggressive side so if they really feel good about Penny, I could see them moving Carson before this possible two year timeframe is up.

Main part of my appeal to Penny was I thought he just looked really good on his limited chances. He made me think of David Johnson's rookie year when he was behind CJ and Ellington and it took both of them getting hurt for him to break out in week 13. Those two don't get hurt late in season, it's very likely David Johnson is available for peanuts the offseason after his rookie year. I'm banking on fact that major difference between the two is Penny just was not as fortunate on the injury situation as David Johnson was,  but eventually the talent will get him there.

Just hope they start involving their RB's in passing game more. When they drafted Penny I heard a lot of talk that using him in passing game was a big part of their plan, that they had specific things in mind for him in passing game. More involvement in the passing game and he won't even need to overtake Carson to at least start being usable.

 

 

What was the trade you made?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kutta said:

What was the trade you made?

Devonta Freeman for Penny, will post it in the trade thread as well.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, menobrown said:

Devonta Freeman for Penny, will post it in the trade thread as well.

 

 

I like the Penny side in dynasty unless you were in all out must win right now mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.