Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Bojang0301

Dynasty: Rashaad Penny, Seattle Seahawks

18 hours ago, menobrown said:

Got a trade offer for Penny yesterday that confused me so much I turned it down after thinking about it all day, then later changed my mind and offered it up. I view Penny as a buy low but was hoping to pay with something else.

I'd  actually consider both Penny and Carson good buy lows. Mike Davis is taking about 9 fantasy points a game with him so it's easy to see Penny picking up a lot or most of that slack even if he did not actually take from Carson at all.  Saw Carson get dealt for 2.1 a few days ago in a league of mine and that to me is buying kind of low. Looked at Dan Hindery's trade value chart he just put out two days ago and based on that Carson and Penny align up with value of picks 11 and 12. I think those are all good buy low prices.

I think both are pretty talented  young RB's who barring a trade are likely going to be playing with each other two more years.  Like you said SEA always preaches competition, a meritocracy. Depending on how you want to look at it that is good or bad for Penny. Bad in the sense he's not going to be get the job served up to him because of his draft status, good because he can still compete to take a bigger role away from Carson. One positive is Schneider is on the aggressive side so if they really feel good about Penny, I could see them moving Carson before this possible two year timeframe is up.

Main part of my appeal to Penny was I thought he just looked really good on his limited chances. He made me think of David Johnson's rookie year when he was behind CJ and Ellington and it took both of them getting hurt for him to break out in week 13. Those two don't get hurt late in season, it's very likely David Johnson is available for peanuts the offseason after his rookie year. I'm banking on fact that major difference between the two is Penny just was not as fortunate on the injury situation as David Johnson was,  but eventually the talent will get him there.

Just hope they start involving their RB's in passing game more. When they drafted Penny I heard a lot of talk that using him in passing game was a big part of their plan, that they had specific things in mind for him in passing game. More involvement in the passing game and he won't even need to overtake Carson to at least start being usable.

Penny is absolutely a buy low right now. I don't get it completely as he looked good once into a rhythm. He has great lateral quickness for a big guy and you can't teach that. Carson just played out of his mind and stayed healthier last year. Penny as a first round pick who showed flashes will get another chance to take over. Buy him now for a steep discount compared to where I think his value will be in 12 months.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gandalf said:

Penny is absolutely a buy low right now. I don't get it completely as he looked good once into a rhythm. He has great lateral quickness for a big guy and you can't teach that. Carson just played out of his mind and stayed healthier last year. Penny as a first round pick who showed flashes will get another chance to take over. Buy him now for a steep discount compared to where I think his value will be in 12 months.

Something for me to add on Penny.

The league I just traded for him I drafted him at 1.3, ended up dealing him a few weeks after the draft back in the summer. I can't say at the  time I drafted him I was sold on him being that talented but I did like the draft pedigree and opportunity. Now after a full season, due mainly to Chris Carson's emergence, his value is down. What is a bit unusual is that while his value is down I'm actually higher on the individual talent of Penny more then I was when I picked him at 1.3.  And part of that is what you said, his lateral quickness and for that matter his speed is pretty impressive for someone his size.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Gandalf said:

I like the Penny side in dynasty unless you were in all out must win right now mode.

I like Freeman probably a little more then consensus. In fact the day I did this trade, which was just yesterday, I drafted Freeman at 4.4 of a FFPC best ball league, injuries have been his issue last few years but I don't see any current injuries to worry over and when he is healthy he's been at least a solid high end RB2 since he lost Kyle. I view him as basically a solid bet to be like 15PPG RB.

I finished third in this league last year and team I made the deal with finished second.  The team that acquired Freeman also picked up Ito Smith and RB was a thin spot so I made a competitor better IMO. That was a major drawback on the trade.

But my team might have youngest key core group, Freeman basically was my "old guy", so in that sense the team is not in a must win now mode.

• Like 1