What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Rashaad Penny, PHI (4 Viewers)

Penny flashed the second half last year.  Definitely a breakout candidate.
It's so difficult to separate out the wheat from the chaff when it comes to RBs breaking out in the 2nd half of a season. 

Did they break out because the game slowed down and they are now ready for prime time?

Did they break out because opposing defenses are beaten down and reeling?

Did they break out because of specific game plans against specific defenses?

Seahawks.com's John Boyle believes the team's running back workload could vary "game to game."

Boyle began by saying Chris Carson will be "tough to unseat from the starting spot" but quickly hedged. Coach Pete Carroll has already said he wants to maintain a "one-two punch" with Carson and Rashaad Penny. Carroll emphasized "I don’t know who’s one and who’s two, it doesn’t matter to me." Carson never surrendered lead duties during his excellent 2018, though Penny began to pop big plays down the stretch. The Seahawks remain all in on the run. A "hot hand" situation could certainly develop.

RELATED: 

Chris Carson

SOURCE: seahawks.com

Jun 28, 2019, 12:48 AM ET

Six Observations From Day 2 Of Seahawks 2019 Training Camp

Excerpt:

2. Rashaad Penny had a good day.

Penny, a first-round pick in 2018, talked this offseason about the challenges of his rookie season and about what he has learned when it comes to being a pro and applying that to this year. He also returned to work having slimmed down a bit from what he played at as a rookie. And while it has only been two days, his work in camp thus far, and on Friday in particular, has reflected those changes.

“Today was his best day, by far his best day,” Schottenheimer said. “He’s learning how to practice, I think I talked a little bit in the spring about him maturing, he’s doing that. There’s a way to practice and the veteran guys know that and there’s guys that model that for him. Not just Russ, J.D. McKissic, a guy that’s been around this program for a long time. The sky is the limit, really talented young man. But today was his best day because he pushed himself, and I told him it was fun to see him come back and breathing heavy, which means he’s finishing runs. There was a screen play late in the practice that he hit the landmark exactly where he was supposed to be and that’s awesome.”

And Penny isn’t the only running back turning heads. As detailed yesterday, Chris Carson is back after missing offseason workouts, and looks as good as ever, and rookie Travis Homer has looked very explosive the past two days.

Penny is finishing runs in practice and being where he's supposed to be on a screen finally...good news I guess but weird to have to get pumped that a 1st round pick at the position that typically takes the least amount of adjustment to play in the NFL is just finally learning how to practice like a pro. 

Penny is finishing runs in practice and being where he's supposed to be on a screen finally...good news I guess but weird to have to get pumped that a 1st round pick at the position that typically takes the least amount of adjustment to play in the NFL is just finally learning how to practice like a pro. 
:unsure:

It’s July, what were you expecting when you clicked?
Dede Westbrooks route running looks so much better.

John Brown is the best player in  Bills camp.  

Penny on the other hand has finally learned how to successfully practice.

There’s fluff and then there’s this.  

Dede Westbrooks route running looks so much better.

John Brown is the best player in  Bills camp.  

Penny on the other hand has finally learned how to successfully practice.

There’s fluff and then there’s this.  
I’m sure you had your mind made up before reading anything. I mean Westbrook has improved his route running? Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
jm192 said:
Reading "He's learning to practice" and "He was where he was supposed to be on a screen pass" doesn't instill excitement and urgency to grab him.
I guess if you wanted to take a positive from this you always hear about young players “learning to be a pro”. If the coaches didn’t like how he practiced last season that could have been a reason Carson stayed ahead of him.

I’m not moving him up my board yet or anything but I don’t think this is necessarily bad “fluff”.

voiceofunreason said:
I’m sure you had your mind made up before reading anything. I mean Westbrook has improved his route running? Lol.
route running can often be an area of concern for young wrs

A year from now if word from Seattle's camp is that Metcalf has improved his route running, is that laughable? 

voiceofunreason said:
Not at all.  I honestly don't know what to expect from either Penny or Carson.  This is a situation I'm very interested in.  

This time of year is filled with coach speak and hyperbole.  Everyone looks great in pads.  

While I do like Westbrook this year--that kind of fluff doesn't do much for his ranking in my eyes.  That's just an example of the typical story you get.  

But not Penny.  Penny is finally learning how to practice.  He may wrestle the job away.  He may rush for 1200 yards.  But reading he has learned to practice isn't any kind of endorsement of his fantasy value.  

Question:  why is the opportunity better for Penny this year vs last year?  From my POV, it’s not as good.  What am I missing?  Perhaps he’s in a better position to take advantage of whatever opportunity does exist for him in 2019...but can Penny really ascend to RB1 for SEA absent a Carson injury?

Question:  why is the opportunity better for Penny this year vs last year?  From my POV, it’s not as good.  What am I missing?  Perhaps he’s in a better position to take advantage of whatever opportunity does exist for him in 2019...but can Penny really ascend to RB1 for SEA absent a Carson injury?
Opportunity might not be better, but I think the prevailing thoughts are that Carson is a backup level talent that Penny SHOULD supplant, and the Seahawks are a run first team with Russell Wilson creating space for the back to operate.  All of which point to high carry totals, with the possibility of high TD's in an efficient offense. 

Opportunity might not be better, but I think the prevailing thoughts are that Carson is a backup level talent that Penny SHOULD supplant, and the Seahawks are a run first team with Russell Wilson creating space for the back to operate.  All of which point to high carry totals, with the possibility of high TD's in an efficient offense. 
So why is there that assumption that Carson is a back-up level talent?  Does that matter if he produces - which he did in spades last year, finishing as RB11 (FP/game) despite missing 2 games and Carroll really not committing to him until October?  I guess that's why I'm struggling with that perception...

Carson didn't just man the position last year...during the Seahawks final 6-1 playoff push, Carson put up a 737/7 line at 21 touches/game.  They rode him.  And reports out of SEA seem to indicate that for as much improvement as Penny appears to be showing at this stage...Carson is still the clear cut lead RB.  This isn't a camp battle like it was (supposed to be) last year.

Yet in PPR, Carson is RB26 and Penny is RB31...hardly much of a gap.  Plus, if they are a run focused team...how is neither guy at least an RB2 at this point?  Yet you see a comment like above that states 'Carson is being overdrafted'...

Plus, if they are a run focused team...how is neither guy at least an RB2 at this point?  Yet you see a comment like above that states 'Carson is being overdrafted'...
Well I think this one is pretty easy in that the majority of people don't see it as so clear cut that one back (v. the other) will carry the load. If you're high on Carson you could use that to your advantage.

Pete Carroll has talked about a "one-two punch" at running back with Chris Carson and Rashaad Penny. That may be a hint that the Seahawks plan to spell Carson more this year than they did last year, when Penny was third in the pecking order behind Carson and Mike Davis. "It keeps defenses on their toes and it keeps us fresh," Carson said.

Brady Henderson, ESPN

The Seahawks' official website believes both Rashaad Penny and Chris Carson are "poised for big things."

By all accounts, Carson has kept hold of No. 1 status, but Penny continues to push for the change-of-pace role the Seahawks want him to seize. Provided the Seahawks employ the same offense they did last season — which all evidence points to — the backfield will be big enough for the two of them, with Carson operating as an RB2 and Penny providing FLEX value.

RELATED: 

Chris Carson

SOURCE: seahawks.com

Aug 6, 2019, 6:45 PM ET

NBC Sports' Joe Fann anticipates "Chris Carson taking at least two-thirds of the workload" with Rashaad Penny filling in the rest.

Fann calls Penny "the clear No. 2 in the 1-2 punch" and believes Penny will see "a few series a game." In this run-heavy offense, Penny should still see enough volume to remain a flex option, especially if the Seahawks target their backs more like they've said repeatedly this offseason. With that said, Carson looks like the running back with the higher upside and floor.

RELATED: 

Chris Carson

SOURCE: NBC Sports

Aug 14, 2019, 3:11 PM ET

So far not a great sign, all Carson. Penny only in with Carson shoe coming off. Was hoping for more of a 1A and 1B.

NBC Sports Northwest's Joe Fann believes Rashaad Penny is "falling further" behind Chris Carson this preseason.

Penny has a pitiful 13 yards on 12 carries this preseason and has not looked explosive at all. He does have 37 yards on three catches, but Penny has shown nothing as a runner. Coach Pete Carroll is blaming the offensive line. Chris Carson, meanwhile, has picked up right where he left off last season and is averaging a crisp 5.0 YPC this summer. Carson has established himself as the "clear No. 1" for the Seahawks, per Fann, and is even being talked up by the coaching staff as someone who can contribute more in the pass game. Carson is a fourth-round fantasy steal right now.

RELATED: 

Chris Carson

SOURCE: NBC Sports Northwest

Aug 21, 2019, 12:54 PM ET

Carson seems destined for feature RB duties to start the season. But he also seems physically cursed, so there is that. I haven't vetted, but I recall hearing a podcast clip indicating that he hasn't played a full season any year of his career dating back to college. Not surprising if true, given his running style. Penny's 2019 story isn't finished.

Do we still expect him to start at some point?  Honestly I laughed (I think in this very thread) about the fluff pieces saying Penny had learned to practice.  Nonetheless, you don't invest a 1st round pick in a Running back of all positions unless you plan to use him.  The equation changed because Carson was very good and he seems to be way ahead.  

I think Penny may have entered buy low territory.

Do we still expect him to start at some point?  Honestly I laughed (I think in this very thread) about the fluff pieces saying Penny had learned to practice.  Nonetheless, you don't invest a 1st round pick in a Running back of all positions unless you plan to use him.  The equation changed because Carson was very good and he seems to be way ahead.  

I think Penny may have entered buy low territory.
Laughed after the first sentence. 

No, I dont expect him to start unless Carson gets hurt, which, considering his history, could happen 

Laughed after the first sentence. 

No, I dont expect him to start unless Carson gets hurt, which, considering his history, could happen 
Was thinking more dynasty--or was that the thought in your reply as well.  

Was thinking more dynasty--or was that the thought in your reply as well.  
Yes, I'm not sure long term Penny will outplay Carson. Itll take injuries. 

If Carson gets beat up this year and has to sit, then I think that 66/33 split they were talking about above is a little more 50/50 to try and preserve Carson. If Carson stays healthy and has a good season, imo it's over for Penny. 

Users who are viewing this thread