Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Bojang0301

Dynasty: Rashaad Penny, Seattle Seahawks

22 minutes ago, kittenmittens said:

Cutting out McDonald's is sort of an entry level step in terms of maximizing fitness. A pro athlete who just figured that out is way behind the curve. 

If THAT was really hard, you probably have a long, long way to go. 

That means there should be lots of room for improvement on the flip side, if he does "get it" now and eliminating McDonald's is just one of many changes he is making. 

So you're thinking that McDonald's is the beginning and the end of his commitment? He's still hitting up Burger King, KFC & Arby's?

54 minutes ago, Chaka said:

So you're thinking that McDonald's is the beginning and the end of his commitment? He's still hitting up Burger King, KFC & Arby's?

No.... 

I think if you've just realized you should cut out fast food as a pro athlete, there are probably a million other things that contribute towards fitness that you are yet to "get." 

6 minutes ago, kittenmittens said:

No.... 

I think if you've just realized you should cut out fast food as a pro athlete, there are probably a million other things that contribute towards fitness that you are yet to "get." 

I think there are a lot of things 22 year olds don't get that we think they should.  The fact that he's an athlete is, IMO, irrelevant when it comes to health and nutrition.  Do you and I get a pass on eating healthy and exercising because we're not athletes?  Of course not, it is literally (not figuratively) every bit as important to us as it should be to anyone else on the planet.  In fact, I think with the rigors of their training routines athletes are typically much more able to overcome many negative impacts of eating crappy food.

Good on him for taking this step but I don't see it as some kind of indicator that he isn't "getting" other things he needs to improve to become a better player.  I think it is very likely that recognizing the benefits of eating well suggests there are other things he is looking at to improve.

2 hours ago, Chaka said:

I think there are a lot of things 22 year olds don't get that we think they should.  The fact that he's an athlete is, IMO, irrelevant when it comes to health and nutrition.  Do you and I get a pass on eating healthy and exercising because we're not athletes?  Of course not, it is literally (not figuratively) every bit as important to us as it should be to anyone else on the planet.  In fact, I think with the rigors of their training routines athletes are typically much more able to overcome many negative impacts of eating crappy food.

Good on him for taking this step but I don't see it as some kind of indicator that he isn't "getting" other things he needs to improve to become a better player.  I think it is very likely that recognizing the benefits of eating well suggests there are other things he is looking at to improve.

Yes, I think the problem is that he's a 22 year old who doesn't get a lot of things yet.  There are plenty of hungry Austin Ekelers out there who don't have the talent, but  have the work ethic and the discipline and will do literally everything in their power to achieve their football goals. 

It's really hard to be elite if you don't do the kinds of things everyone should do, let alone what pro athletes should be and are doing to optimize their bodies. 

16 minutes ago, kittenmittens said:

Yes, I think the problem is that he's a 22 year old who doesn't get a lot of things yet.  There are plenty of hungry Austin Ekelers out there who don't have the talent, but  have the work ethic and the discipline and will do literally everything in their power to achieve their football goals. 

It's really hard to be elite if you don't do the kinds of things everyone should do, let alone what pro athletes should be and are doing to optimize their bodies. 

Absolutely.  Then again it looks like Penny is doing those things, or at least starting to do those things.

This story is nothing but good news.

Penny isn't as chubby as last year but he is still chubby.  Look at the 1:00 mark of this video from last week's game.  That is flab on his stomach.  This could be interpreted as a good thing.  He has already been super effective while not being in perfect condition.  If he commits 100% in the offseason to being in tiptop shape, he could be better.

Edited by Don Hutson

The guys above explained my point pretty well, although was it really necessary?

I'm a dynasty owner, I hope he turns it around but it's just not looking good but it's not like I've dropped him yet.

Rashaad Penny rushed 15 times for 74 yards and one touchdown in the Seahawks' 37-30, Week 13 win over the Vikings Monday night, adding 33 yards and a second touchdown on four catches across five targets.

Coach Pete Carroll promised Penny would be more involved after his 14-129-1 rushing performance last week in Seattle, and he stuck to his word. Chris Carson got the start and handled 24 touches of his own, producing 109 yards and one touchdown, but Penny was involved throughout the night and in big-time situations. The Seahawks simply rotated the two backs in a run-dominant game plan that they would love to execute every week. Penny suddenly possesses high-end RB1/2 upside in this offense ahead of a Week 14 road date with the Rams before cushy Weeks 15 and 16 dates with the Panthers and Cardinals.

Edited by The Frankman

Didn’t get to watch the second half. He looked good running it in the first half but also the nuance seems lost to him a bit (specifically remembering back to back plays where he missed a chip block then was meandering out in space when Russell wanted to dump it to him). The explosiveness is there, Carson will also continue to be but that may not matter for either if Penny can be used in the passing game.

Rashaad Penny left Week 14 against the Rams with a knee injury.

Penny went down at the end of a screen pass on Seattle's opening drive. He was in noticeable pain but limped off slowly on his own. The Seahawks quickly ruled out Penny, so this is a serious injury. Chris Carson will have an every-down role with Penny out.

Dec 8, 2019, 8:36 PM ET

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, it "appears" Rashaad Penny will miss the remainder of 2019 with a knee injury suffered in Sunday's Week 14 loss to the Rams.

Even coach Pete Carroll, who is well-known for his "glass half-full" approach to injuries, didn't sound optimistic about this one, calling Penny's knee injury "significant." Penny is believed to have suffered an ACL sprain, though the Seahawks won't know for sure until he undergoes more tests. The 2018 first-rounder showed promise this year, contributing an electric 5.7 yards per carry while working in tandem with Chris Carson. With Penny's injury likely of the season-ending variety, the Seahawks will move forward with Carson as their workhorse with C.J. Prosise operating in a change-of-pace capacity. Already over 1,000 yards rushing for the year, Carson should be an RB1 the rest of the way.

Edited by The Frankman

Coach Pete Carroll confirmed Rashaad Penny (knee) will miss the remainder of the 2019 season.

Penny injured his ACL in the Seahawks' Week 14 loss to the Rams. Carroll said he hasn’t heard about the MRI results, but that the doctors "could tell it's a significant injury." His absence will lead to a featured role for Chris Carson, who is set up as well as possible in Week 15 against the Panthers' atrocious run defense.

SOURCE: Brady Henderson on Twitter

Dec 9, 2019, 4:22 PM ET

1 hour ago, Mark Football said:

I don't think being grounded for a lengthy period of time is going to be good for this guy who already has a hard time staying in shape. 

Yep... I think this dream is dead. Best case scenario is probably some split in late 2020 and beyond. Doubt he’ll ever catch on as a workhorse now.

I'm tempted to drop him now in Dynasty and roster a flier as my IR spots are already full. I'll probably hold him and try to get a 3rd rounder out of him before roster cutdowns. If not he'll be dumped before next year's rookie draft, then at least one of my other league mates can waste a late rd pick on him.

Guy is probably going to fall into a little bit of depression, get fat and not be able to rehab. Will be shocked if he doesn't start next year on the PUP and probably wouldn't have a chance to play again until 2021. Maybe they'll give the kid from Miami a chance.

17 minutes ago, FreshiZ said:

I'm tempted to drop him now in Dynasty and roster a flier as my IR spots are already full. I'll probably hold him and try to get a 3rd rounder out of him before roster cutdowns. If not he'll be dumped before next year's rookie draft, then at least one of my other league mates can waste a late rd pick on him.

Guy is probably going to fall into a little bit of depression, get fat and not be able to rehab. Will be shocked if he doesn't start next year on the PUP and probably wouldn't have a chance to play again until 2021. Maybe they'll give the kid from Miami a chance.

It's not 2000 anymore. Don't drop players in dynasty over an ACL tear.

Edited by jtd13

Just now, jtd13 said:

Fair point, although this is going to cement Carson’s lock on the job perhaps even more now and Penny may not ever get a chance unless Carson himself gets badly hurt.

4 hours ago, jtd13 said:

ACL tears don't worry me when they happen to professional players. When they happen to Eddie Lacy incarnate then it's best to cut your losses early. I'm from SD, I'll always root for an Aztec but this dude is soft. Good luck to you.

Any ideas why Penny hasn't been added to IR yet?  I can't keep him and replace him until designated to IR.

10 minutes ago, LJax said:

Any ideas why Penny hasn't been added to IR yet?  I can't keep him and replace him until designated to IR.

They may still be evaluating the knee. The last report was kinda strange. It was first thought to be a sprain, then reported as a torn ACL with the distinction that a sprain is a tear. What? Maybe they are waiting to see if he starts healing at a rapid rate so he could be back for the playoffs? Or maybe they are just slow. It rook them quite a while to put Dissly on ir earlier in the season.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said it's going to be "a while" before Rashaad Penny returns from his torn ACL.

Penny suffered his injury in Sunday night's loss to L.A. Already lost for the remainder of 2019, Carroll isn't sure when we'll see Penny back on the field. "No, I would never say that right now," said Carroll when asked if he expected Penny to miss the start of next season. "I don’t know how many months we got. It’s going to take him a while." The fact that Carroll—known for being almost comically optimistic when it comes to injuries—is already hedging on his availability for Week 1 isn't an encouraging sign, though obviously Penny will have the entire offseason to change that narrative. In the meantime Chris Carson, who is already over 1,000 yards rushing for the year, will finish out the season as Seattle's unquestioned workhorse. He makes for an enticing fantasy option this week against Carolina's weak run defense.

SOURCE: SeahawksWire

Dec 12, 2019, 1:43 PM ET

On 12/11/2019 at 1:34 PM, LJax said:

Yea, I need him to go to the IR officially before I can replace him......seems like Hawks should be motivated to make the transaction so they can replace him heading toward a playoff run.

Rashaad Penny had "more than just a normal ACL" tear and surgery.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said there were "other things they just had to clean out" and that "all the expectations are that he'll make it back, but it was a legit surgery that's going to call for the full length of time." Getting cleared to play for the 2020 season opener will be a tough task for the former first-round pick. Chris Carson, on the other hand, won't need offseason surgery for his hip injury and is expected to be ready for the 2020 training camp. Carson should be the Seahawks' lead back once again.

SOURCE: Gregg Bell on Twitter

Jan 1, 2020, 8:00 PM ET

Posted (edited)

Looking like a wasted pick in dynasty leagues. Players make it back with these kinds of injuries, but Injuries still suck.

Edited by JohnnyU

Rashaad Penny: Making rehab prgoress

(RotoWire) Penny (knee) used a stationary bike Tuesday, taking a step forward in his rehab from a torn ACL, NFL.com's Kevin Patra reports. Analysis: Penny tore up his knee Week 14 and had surgery later in December. Coach Pete Carroll said the injury involved damage beyond an ACL tear, but Carroll also mentioned in early January that the Seahawks were pleased with Penny's early progress. The 24-year-old faces a challenge to make it back on the field for the early part of the 2020 campaign, while backfield mate Chris Carson is expected to recover from a hip fracture without needing surgery, potentially returning to practice as soon as May or June.

He's looking at a November return at best. Usually takes a year to come back and his tear was worse than normal. Definitely will get PUP'd.

On 2/14/2020 at 6:47 PM, The Frankman said:

He's looking at a November return at best. Usually takes a year to come back and his tear was worse than normal. Definitely will get PUP'd.

My belief is he gets put on PUP as well, planning on it where I own him. I'm worried about something that looks more like Bryce Love who tore his ACL basically in terms of calendar days one week before Penny did and basically had to sit out the season. All injuries are different, Love had some setbacks I believe but I don't think he had a multi-ligament tear either and I think even before Love had a setback the expectation was he was likely looking at not playing in 2019.

But if you want to take a more positive outlook I recall Leveon Bell suffered a multi-ligament ACL injury on November 1. The following year he had to serve a 3 game suspension so he did not play till week 4 which was Oct 2. So he got back to form in exactly 11 months and if you believe as I do he'd have played the opener if no tsuspended he'd have made it back in just over 10 months. If Penny can follow a similar recovery timeline that would be a best cast type scenario to me and actually possibly avoid being put on PUP.

6 hours ago, The Man With No Name said:

Final year of Carson's contract. Penny could be the guy in 2021 but I wouldn't count on it. 
Probably couldn't get much for him now, so probably a hold in Dynasty.

I'm thinking same thing, Penny could be the guy in 2021 but one thing this injury does to hurt his chances is heavily increase the odds they target a RB this offseason as they likely know they can't count on Penny.