What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Rashaad Penny, PHI (3 Viewers)

Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network adds that Penny is on his way to Philadelphia to have surgery on the finger Wednesday morning. He could be out 3-4 weeks, which brings his availability for Week 1 into question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... at least it wasn’t a lower body injury. The rookies this year are having horrible luck. Worst I’ve seen in my time doing this. Figures we get an incredible class of RB’s and half of them go down in preseason for one reason or another.

Adam Schefter✔@AdamSchefter

Seahawks’ RB Rashaad Penny is undergoing hand surgery this morning, as @bcondotta said. It is the same surgery baseball standout Robinson Cano once had and he was full go within three weeks. Similarly, Penny “should be ready by Week 1,” source texted this am.

8:59 AM - Aug 15, 2018

Appearing on NFL Network, Ian Rapoport referred to Chris Carson as the Seahawks' "bellcow" back.

"He's probably going to be their starter," RapSheet reiterated. Rapoport also stated there is some concern Rashaad Penny's hand surgery could cost him 1-2 regular season games. It will certainly limit Penny's ability to practice and improve in pass protection, where he struggled at San Diego State and in Seattle's preseason opener. Carson is shaping up as a viable mid-round RB3/flex.

Appearing on NFL Network, Ian Rapoport referred to Chris Carson as the Seahawks' "bellcow" back.

"He's probably going to be their starter," RapSheet reiterated. Rapoport also stated there is some concern Rashaad Penny's hand surgery could cost him 1-2 regular season games. It will certainly limit Penny's ability to practice and improve in pass protection, where he struggled at San Diego State and in Seattle's preseason opener. Carson is shaping up as a viable mid-round RB3/flex.
Seems ambiguous. Does he mean for week 1? The whole season? 

But Seahawks running back Rashaad Penny, who went No. 27, thinks he should have been regarded in the same breath as Giants running back Saquon Barkley, who went No. 2.

In a new profile from Tyler Dunne of Bleacher Report, Penny admits to being “ticked” that he didn’t receive equal billing with Barkley. Penny insists that he’s better between the tackles than the former Penn State tailback.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/16/rashaad-penny-has-a-saquon-barkley-sized-chip-on-the-shoulder/

"Possibility it could sideline him a game or two"

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1029893654838734850

Seahawks first-round Rashaad Penny (finger) was wearing pads at Tuesday's practice.

Penny resumed practicing on Friday but this was the first time he's practiced in pads since breaking his finger last week. The rookie was still limited on Tuesday but coach Pete Carroll said he'll have a chance to play in Seattle's preseason finale next Thursday. Even if Penny gets the nod for Week 1, he'll be working behind Chris Carson.

Source: Bob Condotta on Twitter 

Aug 21 - 4:40 PM

Rashaad Penny weighed in at 236 pounds at Seahawks camp this week.

Penny tipped the scales at 220 at the Combine back in February. Players gain weight all the time, but 16 pounds is a scarily-large amount for a running back. And we typically like to see running backs lose weight as opposed to gaining it. Penny has been sidelined for the past week-plus with a broken finger that required surgery. He was back at practice Tuesday. Chris Carson has ran circles around Penny this summer, all but securing the lead-back job for Seattle.
Let's go to our NFL roundtable, starting with Scot Steiner. Scott, what do you think about Penny?

Rashard Penny (finger) is "still on track" for the start of the season.

Penny had his cast removed Wednesday. He's been practicing for the last week. The missed time has allowed Chris Carson to run away with Seattle's lead back job. Overweight and coming off injury, Penny is trending down going into Week 1.

Source: Gregg Bell on Twitter 

Aug 29 - 6:49 PM

Is it wrong that now that Rotoworld is piling on Penny, that I am now rooting for him to to have some success this season?
Nah, who writes the blurbs anyway? I'm assuming it's a couple guys.

I mean whoever wrote it has Carson shares. Even though I own Carson somewhere even I sighed when I read it. The blurb could just as easily read something like "Although he's been trending down lately, he may finally represent good value in drafts.".

It's just like these boards, you can tell when someone is biased because they own the player. I don't even necessarily think it's wrong since most people in here aren't pretending to be absolutely objective or acting as a news source like rotoworld.

Yea, their commentary is quite worthless a lot of the time.

If the Seahawks were so convinced by Carson, they probably wouldn't have spent their first round pick on Penny. It's the highest they've ever drafted a RB during Carroll's tenure. Where is that in the blurb? Penny has been injured and Carson has been the guy by default. That doesn't mean it will or won't change when Penny comes back, but it's silly to act like he's losing the competition when he hasn't been able to compete.

The "coming off injury" bit is also a stretch. They make it sound like he's going to limited or slow to recover. He didn't tear his ACL or pop his Achilles. He broke a finger. That's about as much of a nothingburger as you can get in terms of lingering effects.

Man, if I’m a bull with Soulfly and EBF.  :ph34r:

Seriously though, I walked into redraft season telling myself emphatically I would NOT overexpose myself to Penny. Tonight in my last draft I took him in the 8th (coupled with Michel in the 7th). Carson went in the 7th and I’ve seen him go in the 4th/5th in best ball. I’m way, way overexposed Penny. So maybe that makes my opinion moot. I can’t remember the last time 1st round RB’s slipped this bad. Carson runs to contact. That gets you hurt. I don’t like predicting injury though. Carson seems like a good power back. A guy that makes people real excited around here because he’ll run over DB’s but so did Rawls. Both can come away with close to or > 200 carries in Schotty’s offense but I think Penny’s penchant for being elusive and a target out of the backfield will pull him through this. The “weight gain” is another Carrollism. Guy is full of it. Penny could have played the last two weeks and they protected him. Total bias here, but I think they know what they have and we’ll see it soon.

Man, if I’m a bull with Soulfly and EBF.  :ph34r:

Seriously though, I walked into redraft season telling myself emphatically I would NOT overexpose myself to Penny. Tonight in my last draft I took him in the 8th (coupled with Michel in the 7th). Carson went in the 7th and I’ve seen him go in the 4th/5th in best ball. I’m way, way overexposed Penny. So maybe that makes my opinion moot. I can’t remember the last time 1st round RB’s slipped this bad. Carson runs to contact. That gets you hurt. I don’t like predicting injury though. Carson seems like a good power back. A guy that makes people real excited around here because he’ll run over DB’s but so did Rawls. Both can come away with close to or > 200 carries in Schotty’s offense but I think Penny’s penchant for being elusive and a target out of the backfield will pull him through this. The “weight gain” is another Carrollism. Guy is full of it. Penny could have played the last two weeks and they protected him. Total bias here, but I think they know what they have and we’ll see it soon.
I do think there is enough work for two.  Since Lynch left, the run game has been a morass of shooting stars (Rawls), fading stars (Lacy) and a lot of unimpressive in-between.

Carroll may have his eccentricities, but his whole philosophy is playing the best guy...and he’s talked a lot about that this off-season in a getting back to basics way.  He walked the walk on this early in his SEA tenure.  Given Penny’s limited TC, I can see early season roles slanting Carson’s way, but hot-hand approach feels like an October development.

He went as the RB23 at 06.05 in my 12 team, ppr, super-flex redraft yesterday.  Felt like a big reach as someone's RB2 at that price.
That’s crazy talk in a redraft.   Even if you love him that’s just bad value. 

Is it wrong that now that Rotoworld is piling on Penny, that I am now rooting for him to to have some success this season?
Absolutely not. It's sort of a rite of passage into actually knowing something, anything about the fantasy football industry, 

It's just like these boards, you can tell when someone is biased because they own the player. I don't even necessarily think it's wrong since most people in here aren't pretending to be absolutely objective or acting as a news source like rotoworld.
I've long argued in the FFA that nobody on these message boards is a journalist, and therefore, people shouldn't expect perfect news reporting and ethics when it comes to disseminating information. 

Never seems to get me anywhere. 

Roto, though, is just often silly.  

I've long argued in the FFA that nobody on these message boards is a journalist, and therefore, people shouldn't expect perfect news reporting and ethics when it comes to disseminating information. 

Never seems to get me anywhere. 

Roto, though, is just often silly.  

What makes you think being a journalist makes them any better?

What makes you think being a journalist makes them any better?
Nothing, really. I think they have different standards of responsibility when it comes to reportage or they can be fired. 

Some would argue that they never have, and that they're scoundrels. See: Twain

Some lionize them. See: timschochet

Some, like me, fall somewhere between very and intensely skeptical. 

What do you think every fantasy podcast, article, ranking, etc is? 
But Roto is often dead wrong, have managed to staff their editorial blurb writing positions with clueless hacks, and rarely, if ever, provide meaningful context to the events they report and analyze.

But I love Roto for news.  

Nothing, really. I think they have different standards of responsibility when it comes to reportage or they can be fired. 

Some would argue that they never have, and that they're scoundrels. See: Twain

Some lionize them. See: timschochet

Some, like me, fall somewhere between very and intensely skeptical. 

I understand that a lot of journalists and “experts” didn’t play the game past high school, if that, and that there is a tremendous premium on scooping everybody else - seemingly to the point nowadays that they often report unverified information that turns out to be far from factual.  Just because part of their job is to watch a ton of sports doesn’t mean they understand what they are watching.  We see a lot of that now, including here.  Watching a ton of operations wouldn’t qualify someone to be a surgeon.

I understand that a lot of journalists and “experts” didn’t play the game past high school, if that, and that there is a tremendous premium on scooping everybody else - seemingly to the point nowadays that they often report unverified information that turns out to be far from factual.  Just because part of their job is to watch a ton of sports doesn’t mean they understand what they are watching.  We see a lot of that now, including here.  Watching a ton of operations wouldn’t qualify someone to be a surgeon.
I don't think we necessarily disagree. I'm not a huge fan of the big press, actually.

Yep.  Not debating, just discussing.
Ah, okay. Well, I'd agree that covering certain types of events does not necessarily make one an "expert," or automatically imbues one with enough knowledge to be an accurate disseminator of information, but we generally give those people a little more weight than a guy dragged in off the street. The professional and employment element of paid news functions as a screen and as coded information for the consumer of the product. It's really an efficiency argument. 

Tagging as I got him super late last night.  Feels like a lottery ticket type player that I couldn’t resist. 

Yeah that person had an old sheet or messed up somehow. 
Maybe but I understand why people value Penny over Carson. College production, draft capital, coach speak and Carson still hasn't demonstrated much on the field to be considered a lock for the job.

But that guy clearly doesn't spend time in the SP like I do. Maybe I've been brainwashed and Penny goes off for 2,000 yards and 25 TDs.

Honest question here: Are teams with high dollar QB’s less less likely to play RB with (perceived) pass protection issues?

i know you can lump in most teams with ‘franchise’ QB’s into this category, but Wilson is upper echelon.  He goes down...it’s more Brett Hundley.  And while QB’s can take a pounding and Wilson is very durable and tough, to what degree is running ability factored in to an RB job competition if a players weakness is pass pro?

Just reading up on Penny, the two things they talked about as weakness were 1) picking up the playbook and 2) pass pro.  If these are the weak links in his chain, that’s pretty significant, no?

Honest question here: Are teams with high dollar QB’s less less likely to play RB with (perceived) pass protection issues?

i know you can lump in most teams with ‘franchise’ QB’s into this category, but Wilson is upper echelon.  He goes down...it’s more Brett Hundley.  And while QB’s can take a pounding and Wilson is very durable and tough, to what degree is running ability factored in to an RB job competition if a players weakness is pass pro?

Just reading up on Penny, the two things they talked about as weakness were 1) picking up the playbook and 2) pass pro.  If these are the weak links in his chain, that’s pretty significant, no?
Has to be significant. 

My take is that Carson is a very solid RB.  He was looking really good before busting his ankle.  I really believe Seattle wouldn't have drafted Penny if Carson had stayed healthy.  He really looked good.  That said, I don't think the Hawks could HOPE he recovers well from his ankle injury and they liked Penny to be the starting RB for 2018. Then Carson showed up healthy and has looked like a starting RB and has earned that role heading into 2018.  I think Penny is probably the future RB for the Hawks, and to be honest, there's nothing really wrong with him starting as a primary backup and getting some time to learn and watch for a bit.  The fly in this ointment is going to be if Carson comes out and looks strong and stays that way.  If he doesn't, or Penny looks really really good with the carries he does get, you may get more of a committee and/or Penny taking the job by the later part of the year.   

My take is that Carson is a very solid RB.  He was looking really good before busting his ankle.  I really believe Seattle wouldn't have drafted Penny if Carson had stayed healthy.  He really looked good.   
I have seen this line of reasoning a lot in the Carson & Penny threads S&B.

When did he look good? The Niner game?

It just seems that we are basing a lot of hope in one 20 carry performance.

Maybe but I understand why people value Penny over Carson. College production, draft capital, coach speak and Carson still hasn't demonstrated much on the field to be considered a lock for the job.

But that guy clearly doesn't spend time in the SP like I do. Maybe I've been brainwashed and Penny goes off for 2,000 yards and 25 TDs.
It’s not like Carson has the job on lockdown or anything but he could have gotten him much later. 

Carson has looked solid, the team not so much. You got him at a really good spot.

I’ll most likely be going WR/WR and will be picking one of these murky backfield situations to invest in.

It’s not like Carson has the job on lockdown or anything but he could have gotten him much later. 

Carson has looked solid, the team not so much. You got him at a really good spot.

I’ll most likely be going WR/WR and will be picking one of these murky backfield situations to invest in.
I think the WR pool looks thinner than most realize, particularly in light of the depth at QB & RB this year. If you can get one of the top 3 (OBJ, Hopkins, Brown) and one of the 4-6 guys (I'm loving AJ this year) it could pay off nicely.

But Roto is often dead wrong, have managed to staff their editorial blurb writing positions with clueless hacks, and rarely, if ever, provide meaningful context to the events they report and analyze.

But I love Roto for news.  
Every analyst is dead wrong quite a bit. I like the guys at Roto like Evan Silva

Users who are viewing this thread