What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

For the baseball guys... (1 Viewer)

Charlie Steiner

Footballguy
For those here who don't remember, my middle son is now a freshman at a small DIII school in PA that recruited him to play ball there.  As a freshman, he was warned that playing time would be hard to come by, but given that his baseball history is replete with such warnings, he has once again proven the naysayers wrong to rise in the ranks on his team, and due to an unfortunate injury to one of the starting outfielders, he was inserted into the lineup and has, today, hit his first home run ever, at any level.

:clap: :headbang: :banned:

That's awesome!  Wish you both the best of luck over the next 4 years.

I have been following your son's baseball career through your posts over the years.  Your son's high's and low's have always helped me gain perspective, in regards to my son's "baseball journey" and for that I thank you. 

My son, also a freshman, is currently playing high school baseball at my and my wife's Alma Mater.  Last Saturday was opening day, he started at 3rd base, pitched 3 innings of no hit ball, batted clean-up and went 3-4.  Two days later he was called up to pitch in a varsity game. 

God I love this time of year!!

Last edited by a moderator:
For those here who don't remember, my middle son is now a freshman at a small DIII school in PA that recruited him to play ball there.  As a freshman, he was warned that playing time would be hard to come by, but given that his baseball history is replete with such warnings, he has once again proven the naysayers wrong to rise in the ranks on his team, and due to an unfortunate injury to one of the starting outfielders, he was inserted into the lineup and has, today, hit his first home run ever, at any level.

:clap: :headbang: :banned:
:hi-five:

This is the argument our softball board has EVERY meeting.

My daughter and others have left the program and moved on to a higher level of ball.  We have no grand illusions of playing for Alabama or Florida.  Just whatever the road takes us.  It could be only high school, it could be JUCO. She could quit next year.   We are just providing the best path for her to take it as far as she may be able to and want. Shes in 7th grade so  we still have some journey left !

You will here things like its only division III or there wont be full scholarships.

We just shake our heads and say "so what".  Its usually the dads who didn't play in college or daughters didn't make it that say this but still.  Any level of collegiates is awesome.

Great to hear Charlie!  I remember talking Cooperstown with you back in the day.  Awesome to hear how things are going for your son.

My son is a HS junior now.  Hopefully someday I get to follow his accomplishments while he is playing in college too.

Also, just got an update from the wife. He got homer #2 in game 2 of the doubleheader.

:eek:   :jawdrop:
ALL THE JUICE!@#!@

I bet a little better equipment and regular training regimen is going to help.

I also know for me - I was a late bloomer.  I was a freshman in college when I filled out and grew my last couple inches

My daughter and others have left the program and moved on to a higher level of ball.  We have no grand illusions of playing for Alabama or Florida.  Just whatever the road takes us.  It could be only high school, it could be JUCO. She could quit next year.   We are just providing the best path for her to take it as far as she may be able to and want. Shes in 7th grade so  we still have some journey left !

You will here things like its only division III or there wont be full scholarships.

We just shake our heads and say "so what".  Its usually the dads who didn't play in college or daughters didn't make it that say this but still.  Any level of collegiates is awesome.
I get the mindset; it's too easy to think all college sports are like football and basketball, and to be perfectly honest, it wasn't until he was at least 10 before I got over that way of thinking too.  We were also very lucky that he had a coach that focused on development and not winning trophies.  I said it before, but every kid he coached from age 8 until they either quit or got into high school was talented enough to make their HS team if they had wanted to.  We were also doubly lucky that he got with a showcase team that also focused more on development than anything else, and also advised kids to be realistic when it came to looking for a college.   Even the ones the coach thought had the best chances 'only' got 'pimped' to DII schools at most.

As for my son, he's also a late bloomer.  He was a scrawny thing until his junior year, when he shot up to 5'9" or so.  He hit almost 6' by graduation and now I think he may even be approaching 6'2".

I get the mindset; it's too easy to think all college sports are like football and basketball, and to be perfectly honest, it wasn't until he was at least 10 before I got over that way of thinking too.  We were also very lucky that he had a coach that focused on development and not winning trophies.  I said it before, but every kid he coached from age 8 until they either quit or got into high school was talented enough to make their HS team if they had wanted to.  We were also doubly lucky that he got with a showcase team that also focused more on development than anything else, and also advised kids to be realistic when it came to looking for a college.   Even the ones the coach thought had the best chances 'only' got 'pimped' to DII schools at most.

As for my son, he's also a late bloomer.  He was a scrawny thing until his junior year, when he shot up to 5'9" or so.  He hit almost 6' by graduation and now I think he may even be approaching 6'2".
Yep - we teach the right way and the "winning" will take care of itself.

As someone who was recruited and had many friends play at all different levels - thinking its D1 or nothing is a bad thought and is what a lot of these clubs sell to unsuspecting parents.

The guy that runs our club organization does not believe in traveling out to west coast or michigan OR other BIG TOURNAMENT etc because he knows 90% of the kids aren't going to end up playing out there.  He'll travel but hes not going cross country every weekend

And if they are that good they will get found out anyway. 

Thats a different philosophy for a different time though. So enjoy the DAY!!

Congrats! 

Man, as a dad, those moments are so special.  I have one from when my son was in a Babe Ruth league (middle school).  Being military, we moved around a lot and he started a new school for his 7th grade.  He'd played BB since he was little but didn't know any of these kids.  And as the new kid on the team he felt he didn't quite fit in at first.  

Anyway, in the second or third game of the season, he's playing right field and in the last inning he makes a diving catch going towards the foul line.  He's left handed so he had to dive/stretch across his body.  He dives for it and comes up with the ball, saving at least a triple.   

The catch was the last out of the game and preserved the pitcher's first ever no-hitter.  Very exciting moment and the pitcher said later that there was no way he thought it would be caught.  But they celebrated and the pitcher actually gave him a game ball signed by the whole team.  He made a lot of friends that day.  

Can you come tell my boys that?  

They are sports obsessed, and think that anything that isn't good enough to be on TV isn't worth playing after high school.  They just don't get how much of an opportunity it is to play anything past high school if you get the opportunity. Heck, I still remember the one game on intramural baseball I played in college (told my boys that story just the other day as it is funny and you have to teach them to laugh at themselves sometimes).

We took them to a DIII basketball game a few weeks ago, and they came away impressed, but it hasn't totally sunk in yet.  The youngest, a freshman and a Clemson fan, still thinks he's going to Clemson on an athletic scholarship.  He just hasn't decided which sport yet.  I didn't teach them about the realities of big time college sports when they were younger.  I had those same dreams as a 9 year old, but I eventually figured it out.  I thought they would too.

Great to hear Charlie!  I remember talking Cooperstown with you back in the day.  Awesome to hear how things are going for your son.

My son is a HS junior now.  Hopefully someday I get to follow his accomplishments while he is playing in college too.
You may have heard this before, but the one thing that makes the most difference as far as playing in college is to go to their camps and get in front of the coach. Showcase tournaments are hit and miss, as sometimes the 'scouts' don't even come to most games, unless it's to see a certain kid, but if you make yourself known to the coach, he may catch a Summer game/tournament your son is playing in. 

They are sports obsessed, and think that anything that isn't good enough to be on TV isn't worth playing after high school.  They just don't get how much of an opportunity it is to play anything past high school if you get the opportunity. Heck, I still remember the one game on intramural baseball I played in college (told my boys that story just the other day as it is funny and you have to teach them to laugh at themselves sometimes).

We took them to a DIII basketball game a few weeks ago, and they came away impressed, but it hasn't totally sunk in yet.  The youngest, a freshman and a Clemson fan, still thinks he's going to Clemson on an athletic scholarship.  He just hasn't decided which sport yet.  I didn't teach them about the realities of big time college sports when they were younger.  I had those same dreams as a 9 year old, but I eventually figured it out.  I thought they would too.
Tell them belljr from the internet says this.

I was recruited to play 2 sports in college.  Partially afraid to try on one I declined all visits and decided to not play the one sport.  Baseball my passion.  I was a little burned out.  Was recruited to a couple small schools.   Injured my shoulder and decided to not rehab it and just blow off playing college ball.  After my freshman year - i decided enough and got my shoulder looked at.  6 months of therapy and I was back.  Ended up playing semi-pro for a bit.

If I could do it all over again - I would have played at any one of those schools now

It's my one only real "regret" in life.  I never tried to go as far as I should/could.   I love playing and teaching the game now - I gave up playing a long time ago - mid 30's.

But man do I regret not following that path.

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll add that they have to REALLY love the game, be willing to not get in games and grind it out in practice and the classroom.  My son had a monster senior season to cap off a pretty good HS career--even won a MVP award in an all-star game played at Camden Yards after graduation--but none of that meant anything to the college coaches.  If it wasn't for one of the starters spraining an ankle a couple days ago, he probably wouldn't have gotten the chance he did. But, in my son's case, and I still ask him from time to time, he loves baseball and is just happy to be out there, so if your boys don't come around to that kind of mindset, they would probably be better off not playing.  It's such a time and energy commitment regardless of whether you start or ride the bench that you absolutely have to want to do it every day.

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll add that they have to REALLY love the game, be willing to not get in games and grind it out in practice and the classroom.  My son had a monster senior season to cap off a pretty good HS career--even won a MVP award in an all-star game played at Camden Yards after graduation--but none of that meant anything to the college coaches.  If it wasn't for one of the starters spraining an ankle a couple days ago, he probably wouldn't have gotten the chance he did. But, in my son's case, and I still ask him from time to time, he loves baseball and is just happy to be out there, so if your boys don't come around to that kind of mindset, they would probably be better off not playing.  It's such a time and energy commitment regardless of whether you start or ride the bench that you absolutely have to want to do it every day.
That's a great point.  I really don't think they are talented enough to ever get a scholarship (they both still play basketball and baseball), but they love to play so if they got to go somewhere where they could play, I would strongly encourage it.  They run hot and cold on their passion for the games.  A lot of it depends on their teammates.  The younger one hasn't had to spend much time on the bench for a while so I don't know his patience for that.  The older one has had more experience on the bench this season with basketball.  As a sophomore, he started the season on B squad as a stater.  He played every minute of most of the games.  Finally got the call up to JV, quickly became a starter there too but sitting on the varsity bench comes with that.  The guys on JV and varsity he has more fun sitting at the end of the bench doing his best Monmouth impersonations, I think he has more fun there than when he played B squad.  If he put in that time and work for a college team but the guys weren't fun to play with, he'd get burned out quick I'm sure.

The games are fun, but I also recall 90% of my enjoyment came from my teammates.

That's awesome!  Wish you both the best of luck over the next 4 years.

I have been following your son's baseball career through your posts over the years.  Your son's high's and low's have always helped me gain perspective, in regards to my son's "baseball journey" and for that I thank you. 

My son, also a freshman, is currently playing high school baseball at my and my wife's Alma Mater.  Last Saturday was opening day, he started at 3rd base, pitched 3 innings of no hit ball, batted clean-up and went 3-4.  Two days later he was called up to pitch in a varsity game. 

God I love this time of year!!
I missed this post earlier, I'm glad to read this. 

His baseball journey had a big impact on me too, as I was didn't play any sports in hs. Just enjoy the ride in front of you. From here, it's all about how much he wants it and how much he's willing toi grind it out. There are more opportunities now than ever before, and they'll take care of themselves.

I missed this post earlier, I'm glad to read this. 

His baseball journey had a big impact on me too, as I was didn't play any sports in hs. Just enjoy the ride in front of you. From here, it's all about how much he wants it and how much he's willing toi grind it out. There are more opportunities now than ever before, and they'll take care of themselves.
Over the years of Little League, travel ball, Summer ball, middle school and now high school baseball I have learned, in part because of your posts, that it is never as great as it seems and it is never as bad as it may seem at times.  My son and I both must stay level-headed through the process and, as you said, just enjoy the ride. :thumbup:

That's a great point.  I really don't think they are talented enough to ever get a scholarship (they both still play basketball and baseball), but they love to play so if they got to go somewhere where they could play, I would strongly encourage it.  They run hot and cold on their passion for the games.  A lot of it depends on their teammates.  The younger one hasn't had to spend much time on the bench for a while so I don't know his patience for that.  The older one has had more experience on the bench this season with basketball.  As a sophomore, he started the season on B squad as a stater.  He played every minute of most of the games.  Finally got the call up to JV, quickly became a starter there too but sitting on the varsity bench comes with that.  The guys on JV and varsity he has more fun sitting at the end of the bench doing his best Monmouth impersonations, I think he has more fun there than when he played B squad.  If he put in that time and work for a college team but the guys weren't fun to play with, he'd get burned out quick I'm sure.

The games are fun, but I also recall 90% of my enjoyment came from my teammates.
1. If they want to play somewhere, they will, even if it's 'just' community college, but like I've said in several other posts in this thread, the key is their willingness to put in the work. 

2. My son also gets a lot of enjoyment from the camaraderie. He even became friends with players on rival teams that he had faced many times over the years. 

Over the years of Little League, travel ball, Summer ball, middle school and now high school baseball I have learned, in part because of your posts, that it is never as great as it seems and it is never as bad as it seems.  My son and I both must stay level-headed through the process and, as you said, just enjoy the ride. :thumbup:
My problem was I couldn't figure out how to fully enjoy the moment until his senior year, but I also forgot all over again when college ball started, as I spent most of my time comparing him to the kid that was starting over him and in the back of my mind, looking for weaknesses in his game and hoping the coach would see them too.  Worst part, he did get in at the tail end of a double header, made 2 plays in the field and became 'that parent' that only cheered for their own kid.  :bag:

My problem was I couldn't figure out how to fully enjoy the moment until his senior year, but I also forgot all over again when college ball started, as I spent most of my time comparing him to the kid that was starting over him and in the back of my mind, looking for weaknesses in his game and hoping the coach would see them too.  Worst part, he did get in at the tail end of a double header, made 2 plays in the field and became 'that parent' that only cheered for their own kid.  :bag:
:lol: We had a Dad on our travel team who only cheered for #13. 

1. If they want to play somewhere, they will, even if it's 'just' community college, but like I've said in several other posts in this thread, the key is their willingness to put in the work. 

2. My son also gets a lot of enjoyment from the camaraderie. He even became friends with players on rival teams that he had faced many times over the years. 
If they decide on baseball, maybe.  If they decide on basketball, I don't think it is always up to the individuals work ethic.

My boys to go high school with one of the top ten ranked basketball teams in the state.  The second best player, a senior, doesn't have a solid offer to play anywhere even DIII.

:lol: We had a Dad on our travel team who only cheered for #13. 
I really never was 'that' parent, mainly because we usually knew most of the kids already.  This time around, we're almost the only ones who don't live within driving distance of the college to make all the games. I was just really cold and tired from standing around all evening, so I'm going to chalk it up to that.  Just wish I had caught myself first.

So awesome. My 8 Year old has been playing for 3 years. He royally sucked the first two years. It didn't surprise me because I sucked. But something happened last year and it just clicked. He was good. One of the better kids on the team. Maybe it's because I managed him for the first time or because he developed his baseball genes from my brother who played division I baseball in college and even made the ncaa tournament as a starting c.f.. Proudest moment is he pitched 3 innings of shutout ball in our playoff game and the two kids who relieved him gave up 7 runs to the same team. I cannot wait until April. He's been in training all winter and I can't what to see what he can do.

Users who are viewing this thread