What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Fastpitch Dads/Coaches here (1 Viewer)

belljr

Footballguy
I know I've always hijacked tournament/baseball threads with posts, since the games itself is similar in many ways but there are definitely some differences.

We moved to a Club team this year.   Got bumped to A division - 12U.  Daughter is trying out for the middle school team this year.

We're a little "crazy" as in playing a lot not as in screaming lunatics.

Anyone else all in?

I know I've always hijacked tournament/baseball threads with posts, since the games itself is similar in many ways but there are definitely some differences.

We moved to a Club team this year.   Got bumped to A division - 12U.  Daughter is trying out for the middle school team this year.

We're a little "crazy" as in playing a lot not as in screaming lunatics.

Anyone else all in?
I coach my son's 12u club baseball team here in Phoenix.  The divisions for club baseball are Majors, AAA, and AA.  We started our team 2 years ago and were a .500 team in AA.  Last year we finished as the best AA in the state.  This year we started as AAA and after winning a few tournaments got bumped to majors.  We got our butt kicked in majors and are now back down in AAA.  It has been a wild ride.

This is presumably my last summer coaching. My daughter is at the 14u level and will be onto high school next year. I do have a 12 year old that plays, but she's in-house and her coach is awesome (former MLB guy with a World Series ring!) In theory I could coach again, but she only really cares about soccer, so she'll not likely play traveling. I'm not ready for it to be over and have enjoyed the ride with little parent issues to speak of. 

I coach my son's 12u club baseball team here in Phoenix.  The divisions for club baseball are Majors, AAA, and AA.  We started our team 2 years ago and were a .500 team in AA.  Last year we finished as the best AA in the state.  This year we started as AAA and after winning a few tournaments got bumped to majors.  We got our butt kicked in majors and are now back down in AAA.  It has been a wild ride.
Yes - i remember you saying that.   we do mostly USSSA - which is

A

B

C

Rec

We went from town/C - moved up to B as a town team (very rare). Started has club B this fall and rolled through almost everyone.

We now will play A ball this spring - with a couple 14B tournaments sprinkled in.  Our "plan" is next year to play 1 year of 14U and then just jump to 16 since everyone will be in high school anyway.   But thats next year.

We're hoping to just be above 500 and be competive this spring

This is presumably my last summer coaching. My daughter is at the 14u level and will be onto high school next year. I do have a 12 year old that plays, but she's in-house and her coach is awesome (former MLB guy with a World Series ring!) In theory I could coach again, but she only really cares about soccer, so she'll not likely play traveling. I'm not ready for it to be over and have enjoyed the ride with little parent issues to speak of. 
Do you not have club ball when the HS season ends?

Do you not have club ball when the HS season ends?
I guess I really don't know what the girls do for summer ball once in high school. I know the boy's teams are basically run by the high school coaches...maybe it's different for the girls. ]

ETA. I know as 14u, we play and practice at the high school field and can use it anytime. I guess that means no one else is using it. Not sure where those girls are playing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I really don't know what the girls do for summer ball once in high school. I know the boy's teams are basically run by the high school coaches...maybe it's different for the girls. 
yeah it is for us.   Most HS boys go to some legion/club usually run by coaches.

Here - softball - clubs are actually bigger than high school for softball but not run by HS.

Once they hit sophmore year - we'll startup some time in the middle of May and to to 8/1

yeah it is for us.   Most HS boys go to some legion/club usually run by coaches.

Here - softball - clubs are actually bigger than high school for softball but not run by HS.

Once they hit sophmore year - we'll startup some time in the middle of May and to to 8/1
I'll definitely find out in the coming months. May to August seems about right. 

Welp the inevitable argument with the league president and other board members, happened AGAIN Saturday.

These guys are totally against Club teams.  I keep trying to explain things aren't like they are from 15 years ago.

I'm still on our local rec town board, and we offer a travel team.   We have some kids that just like groups before us want more and are playing at a higher level, than town travel.

Yet, they keep arguing over other club teams that aren't as good.  And they wonder why they have no pitchers or catchers.

Our point is you might say the "bad club" teams are not good but these kids are getting more reps than rec. Which literally consists of 6 practices and 10 games.

The argument is always, there is no Division 1 scholarships for kids in this area. And we always tell them its about more than just looking for scholarships.   It's about giving the girls opportunities to play, play in high school, and maybe college if they desire.  You aren't making that decision at 12 years old but you aren't going to get better playing rec ball until you are 15.

My point is I understand there are different levels and the club experience isn't for everyone. I don't begrudge anyone that may not like it.  But the other way, they always get bent out of shape.  YOU TOOK GIRLS OUT OF THE PROGRAM!@#!@   News flash, they weren't staying anyway.

My daughter and I are watching Arkansas vs UGA on ESPNU right now!

P.S. she's a 10u pitcher, I am a 10u assistant coach / pitching coach (by default), and VP of the board.

PS2 I am REALLY becoming tired of the board... there are very few of us who prioritize what is best for the girls over what is easiest for the league :hot:  

My daughter and I are watching Arkansas vs UGA on ESPNU right now!

P.S. she's a 10u pitcher, I am a 10u assistant coach / pitching coach (by default), and VP of the board.

PS2 I am REALLY becoming tired of the board... there are very few of us who prioritize what is best for the girls over what is easiest for the league :hot:  
:lol:   I totally relate.   We have the same recurring theme.  There are some parents that want more out of what rec offers - regardless of their current talent level.

Then when people jump ship because they didn't make the travel team they are confused as to why.

But their argument is they are doing what is best for the girls - which is fine.  They want a place where all girls can play - but then turn around and say they don't cater to elite athletes.

But the 1/2 board thinks they have to be elite RIGHT NOW - instead of showing potential.  My daughter is pretty stinking good and I felt like she's out grown the town level ball. Theses dopes don't want to push their kids.   And they haven't figure out why they are not making school teams.  

/my own personal rant

Welp the inevitable argument with the league president and other board members, happened AGAIN Saturday.

These guys are totally against Club teams.  I keep trying to explain things aren't like they are from 15 years ago.

I'm still on our local rec town board, and we offer a travel team.   We have some kids that just like groups before us want more and are playing at a higher level, than town travel.

Yet, they keep arguing over other club teams that aren't as good.  And they wonder why they have no pitchers or catchers.

Our point is you might say the "bad club" teams are not good but these kids are getting more reps than rec. Which literally consists of 6 practices and 10 games.

The argument is always, there is no Division 1 scholarships for kids in this area. And we always tell them its about more than just looking for scholarships.   It's about giving the girls opportunities to play, play in high school, and maybe college if they desire.  You aren't making that decision at 12 years old but you aren't going to get better playing rec ball until you are 15.

My point is I understand there are different levels and the club experience isn't for everyone. I don't begrudge anyone that may not like it.  But the other way, they always get bent out of shape.  YOU TOOK GIRLS OUT OF THE PROGRAM!@#!@   News flash, they weren't staying anyway.
These board members, are talking little league?

My daughter is in her second year of club U14. We have had a good experience, the team she is on is very well run and not all about $ and promises. They are very realistic and focus a lot on basic instruction. They have indoor practices throughout the winter, lots of basic drills and repetition. It seems boring but it has really helped the girls fielding. Team practices start in Spring then tournaments throughout the Summer. They offer Fall Ball and Winter Ball teams too but that is just way to much IMO, I don't want her to burn out. She is a young Freshman so this is her first year of High School ball. She jumps to U16 next year, we are going to revaluate after the Summer to see if she wants to continue Club next year. As of now She loves it but we'll see in August. 

My advice would be to stay realistic and have fun with it. My wife despises all the running around it involves. Your Summer is not your own anymore, everything revolves around tournaments. We plan our family vacations once we get the tournament schedule. Also the number of nutty parents increases with club, some parents are way to stressed about it and overly coach and stress out their kids. Fortunately most of the parents and kids on her team are cool and realistic. My daughter loves softball and happens to be decent at it, that is why she plays club. It's not about getting a scholarship, the chances for a softball scholarship are VERY slim, especially up north. We are just having fun with it.

FYI here in MA Club teams are totally separate from town ball. Clubs are private organizations, there are several in our area. The Girls tryout and either make it or they don't. Lots of families jump around from club to club if they aren't happy for one reason or another, more nuttiness. There are girls from many different towns on each team.

Kraft... said:
My daughter is in her second year of club U14. We have had a good experience, the team she is on is very well run and not all about $ and promises. They are very realistic and focus a lot on basic instruction. They have indoor practices throughout the winter, lots of basic drills and repetition. It seems boring but it has really helped the girls fielding. Team practices start in Spring then tournaments throughout the Summer. They offer Fall Ball and Winter Ball teams too but that is just way to much IMO, I don't want her to burn out. She is a young Freshman so this is her first year of High School ball. She jumps to U16 next year, we are going to revaluate after the Summer to see if she wants to continue Club next year. As of now She loves it but we'll see in August. 

My advice would be to stay realistic and have fun with it. My wife despises all the running around it involves. Your Summer is not your own anymore, everything revolves around tournaments. We plan our family vacations once we get the tournament schedule. Also the number of nutty parents increases with club, some parents are way to stressed about it and overly coach and stress out their kids. Fortunately most of the parents and kids on her team are cool and realistic. My daughter loves softball and happens to be decent at it, that is why she plays club. It's not about getting a scholarship, the chances for a softball scholarship are VERY slim, especially up north. We are just having fun with it.

FYI here in MA Club teams are totally separate from town ball. Clubs are private organizations, there are several in our area. The Girls tryout and either make it or they don't. Lots of families jump around from club to club if they aren't happy for one reason or another, more nuttiness. There are girls from many different towns on each team.
Yep this is us.  We are 12u.  The problem is trying to get fields through the town for us because the president doesn't believe in club ball and wants to "punish" us. Our team is having a blast.

But we are having trouble finding a field to practice. And that is what is stressful

Gotcha. So it's a little league type of league where kids sign up, most everyone makes a team and age 9-12 makeup the teams?
Yes. But there is also a travel team that girls tryout for.   The girls on our club team not affiliated with town grew out of it and are too good for town travel.   The board sees town travel as the Pinnacle when it's not

But they hold a grudge against us that left

Yes. But there is also a travel team that girls tryout for.   The girls on our club team not affiliated with town grew out of it and are too good for town travel.   The board sees town travel as the Pinnacle when it's not

But they hold a grudge against us that left
Yep, been there done that

My advice would be do what's best for your girls and don't look back. Those people will never change their opinions

In our area, the club teams play in the same league as the travel teams. Only difference being, the have to play in the "A" division. Its so dumb that people leave our association for the club team as the club team near us is pretty bad. They have two teams and went a combined 10-40 last year. We only have enough girls for 1 team at 14u and play in the "B" division. We had a good season last year and were likely as talented as the club team. I think some families just like to tell people they play club ball.  :shrug:

In our area, the club teams play in the same league as the travel teams. Only difference being, the have to play in the "A" division. Its so dumb that people leave our association for the club team as the club team near us is pretty bad. They have two teams and went a combined 10-40 last year. We only have enough girls for 1 team at 14u and play in the "B" division. We had a good season last year and were likely as talented as the club team. I think some families just like to tell people they play club ball.  :shrug:
We're starting to see more "club" teams that should not be.  

Bottom line is that if the player wants to get better they need to play against better competition....whatever that may be.  If the rec league is filled with players that are only playing because mommy signed them up then the competition will be very low and the more competitive girls will regress.  I am sure you have tried every approach imaginable to show the board you are trying to do what is best for the players and the stubborn board members are just being selfish. 

Players need to be pushed competitively to improve.  Every players has a different level of play and what is needed to push them.  That is why there are rec, club, travel, etc ball.  Parents that don't see this are doing a disservice to their kids and communities.  You aren't trying to compete and take players away from their league.  You are only trying to provide a level of play commensurate with certain players needs.  Hopefully you can find a way to strip away the egos of the parents and get them to see the light that there is a wide range of talent and in order to help players get to their potential different teams are needed.  Work together and everyone wins - especially the kids.

Couldn't agree more Gally.

And everyone that has made the jump with us agrees completely.  But the people that stay or left behind feel like it's a waste.  Are there some kids that play town travel that should move on? Absolutely. and if they don't want to that is fine.  We probably have 1 girls who in reality would be better on a town travel team instead of our club team but that's about it.

But you talk to the people still in the league and they feel like town travel is the END OF IT.

It's weird, us that left and playing at a "high level" realize its a bigger commitment than people may want. and totally understand there are levels for everyone.    But you turn it around the other way and they feel like you stole from them because you left town travel.   "YOU COULD HAVE STAYED IN THE PROGRAM!#!@#"    :lol:

The problem is kids are leaving for a mediocre club team - Why? Because they want more for their kid beyond what rec offers.  So the board feels slighted.

5 years ago if you asked me if I would have left Rec - I would have said no. But now here we are.

The argument always boils down to this

argument 1)  Rec - Town Travel   is only options

argument 2) Rec - Town travel - High Club   

We have been trying to get our club program affiliated with the town program because we have kids that go that route for the last 20 years but they don't agree.

We started a travel team 3 yrs ago when our kids were 9.  There were ten 9-yr olds that played in the Majors (up to 12 yrs old) that year and they all held their own against the other talent in our local LL.  Once the season ended me and another coach decided to try a few travel ball tournaments with this group (the parents were all interested).  We played 3 tournaments and they progressed more in those few games than they did all year in LL.  Based on that all the parents wanted to forget LL and go travel ball only. 

At the time I was on the LL board.  We had just completed a somewhat hostile take over because the previous board was inept (including embezzlement) and I was part of the group that spearheaded the change.  We had a good group of 6-7 parents joining the board to make changes.  None of the other board members were part of our 9-yr old group of players so when we decided to forego LL and play just travel there were quite a bit of feelings hurt and backlash because we were taking the best players of the league and since I was on the board I took the brunt of the backlash.  I stayed on as coaches coordinator and part of the board because I had made that commitment but the backlash I received for the first couple months was pretty bad.  Eventually they got over it (we were friends prior to any of this so it kind of was crappy how things went). 

We have now been together for three years and are starting our 12 yr old season.  The kids have made tremendous strides and would never have made those improvements staying in LL.  The talent and competition just wasn't there for these kids to develop.  Some on the other board members with older kids have eventually participated in the travel ball experience and they now understand why we did what we did and agree it was the right choice.  It was just very difficult at the beginning because they felt that I betrayed them when I was just really trying to do what was best for my kids development.  They eventually came around.

We started a travel team 3 yrs ago when our kids were 9.  There were ten 9-yr olds that played in the Majors (up to 12 yrs old) that year and they all held their own against the other talent in our local LL.  Once the season ended me and another coach decided to try a few travel ball tournaments with this group (the parents were all interested).  We played 3 tournaments and they progressed more in those few games than they did all year in LL.  Based on that all the parents wanted to forget LL and go travel ball only. 

At the time I was on the LL board.  We had just completed a somewhat hostile take over because the previous board was inept (including embezzlement) and I was part of the group that spearheaded the change.  We had a good group of 6-7 parents joining the board to make changes.  None of the other board members were part of our 9-yr old group of players so when we decided to forego LL and play just travel there were quite a bit of feelings hurt and backlash because we were taking the best players of the league and since I was on the board I took the brunt of the backlash.  I stayed on as coaches coordinator and part of the board because I had made that commitment but the backlash I received for the first couple months was pretty bad.  Eventually they got over it (we were friends prior to any of this so it kind of was crappy how things went). 

We have now been together for three years and are starting our 12 yr old season.  The kids have made tremendous strides and would never have made those improvements staying in LL.  The talent and competition just wasn't there for these kids to develop.  Some on the other board members with older kids have eventually participated in the travel ball experience and they now understand why we did what we did and agree it was the right choice.  It was just very difficult at the beginning because they felt that I betrayed them when I was just really trying to do what was best for my kids development.  They eventually came around.
We have a travel team.  It plays against other local travel teams and some tournaments.  This fall is when we took our core 6 and started a club team as part of an organization thats been around.  We are playing the top level we can play after getting moved up from the fall.  

What exactly is "club"?

They play showcase tourney's?
For us here a club team is defined as any team that does not have roster limitations.  Basically kids from any town can play on it.  We don't have to have a limit to out of town kids etc.

Normally the goal of a club team is to cultivate talent and eventually play showcase events as they get older.  We do not have a league, we play a variety of tournaments ~20 fall/spring

We are 12U currently.  The goal is to have these girls mature and eventually start to play showcase events as they reach high school age.

The issue is there are some "club" teams/organizations that are not much better than some rec teams and it is muddying the landscape.  But in hte end the girls are going somewhere they feel like they will get better and have a chance to play.

The issue is there are some "club" teams/organizations that are not much better than some rec teams and it is muddying the landscape.  But in hte end the girls are going somewhere they feel like they will get better and have a chance to play.
Typically, one of the bigger differences between rec and travel/club is that the coaching is a lot better.  Usually someone willing to put in the time for club/travel knows at least a little more than a parent roped into coaching a rec team because they don't have any other volunteers.  So even if the competition isn't where it should be the coaching should be better.

Couldn't agree more Gally.

And everyone that has made the jump with us agrees completely.  But the people that stay or left behind feel like it's a waste.  Are there some kids that play town travel that should move on? Absolutely. and if they don't want to that is fine.  We probably have 1 girls who in reality would be better on a town travel team instead of our club team but that's about it.

But you talk to the people still in the league and they feel like town travel is the END OF IT.

It's weird, us that left and playing at a "high level" realize its a bigger commitment than people may want. and totally understand there are levels for everyone.    But you turn it around the other way and they feel like you stole from them because you left town travel.   "YOU COULD HAVE STAYED IN THE PROGRAM!#!@#"    :lol:

The problem is kids are leaving for a mediocre club team - Why? Because they want more for their kid beyond what rec offers.  So the board feels slighted.

5 years ago if you asked me if I would have left Rec - I would have said no. But now here we are.

The argument always boils down to this

argument 1)  Rec - Town Travel   is only options

argument 2) Rec - Town travel - High Club   

We have been trying to get our club program affiliated with the town program because we have kids that go that route for the last 20 years but they don't agree.
You're in South Jersey?  What club team?

My daughter started out in Philadelphia playing rec ball at 8U.  She said she wanted to learn how to pitch so I asked around and got a pitching coach for her.  She spent the year working on her windmill pitching.  She spent the entire Fall, Winter and Spring working on her pitching.  She came back for her second year of 8U and was unhittable (walkable is another story).  It was at that moment that I knew rec ball would never provide her with the type of competition that would challenge her.  So that summer I took her to a couple tryouts and just talked to every coach at them and kind of got a feel for the tournament travel scene.  She played for a tournament team but the coach was nice enough to let her continue to play rec ball because it allowed her to get extra innings in the circle (that what us softball junkies call the pitching rubber).  She gave up 2 hits all rec season and the parents from the other teams complained that she shouldn't be in the league.  That was her last rec season.  She now plays tournament ball only over in South Jersey.  She's a first year 12U player.

My experience with tournament ball has been a mixed bag.  Too often team dugouts are loaded with parent-coaches who don't really know what they're doing.  A lot of times, this is done under the auspices of a big name organization who gets a non-refundable fee for every player on the team.  It's extremely difficult to sort out where to go and what to do.  Here in PA/NJ/DE the talent pool has been watered down because of the over-abundance of daddy ball teams.  It takes a lot of networking at the tournaments to get a sense of what coaches/organizations to stay away from and what coaches/organizations to seek out.  Sometimes, even the best organizations will still have that daddy ball team that you need to avoid like the plague.  The time commitment is so burdensome that I often wonder what are we (and I say we because it is both my time and my daughters) doing this for?  In addition to her practices with her team, there are workouts we do outside the organization, private lessons and strength and agility training.  Sure she'll get a college scholarship to play at some college at some level but I always feel like softball takes over everything.  Softball shouldn't be who she is, it should be something she does.  And playing for these tournament teams, they take it to an outrageous extreme.  Especially at these younger ages.  

My sophomore daughter played Varsity ball last year and has played travel ball from 12U up to 16U.. I coach her 16U travel team..

My youngest daughter plays 12U travel ball for a different organization than the one I coach for... She's playing middle school ball this year and is done with rec ball.  I can't say I'm sad to be done with rec ball forever. 

You're in South Jersey?  What club team?

My daughter started out in Philadelphia playing rec ball at 8U.  She said she wanted to learn how to pitch so I asked around and got a pitching coach for her.  She spent the year working on her windmill pitching.  She spent the entire Fall, Winter and Spring working on her pitching.  She came back for her second year of 8U and was unhittable (walkable is another story).  It was at that moment that I knew rec ball would never provide her with the type of competition that would challenge her.  So that summer I took her to a couple tryouts and just talked to every coach at them and kind of got a feel for the tournament travel scene.  She played for a tournament team but the coach was nice enough to let her continue to play rec ball because it allowed her to get extra innings in the circle (that what us softball junkies call the pitching rubber).  She gave up 2 hits all rec season and the parents from the other teams complained that she shouldn't be in the league.  That was her last rec season.  She now plays tournament ball only over in South Jersey.  She's a first year 12U player.

My experience with tournament ball has been a mixed bag.  Too often team dugouts are loaded with parent-coaches who don't really know what they're doing.  A lot of times, this is done under the auspices of a big name organization who gets a non-refundable fee for every player on the team.  It's extremely difficult to sort out where to go and what to do.  Here in PA/NJ/DE the talent pool has been watered down because of the over-abundance of daddy ball teams.  It takes a lot of networking at the tournaments to get a sense of what coaches/organizations to stay away from and what coaches/organizations to seek out.  Sometimes, even the best organizations will still have that daddy ball team that you need to avoid like the plague.  The time commitment is so burdensome that I often wonder what are we (and I say we because it is both my time and my daughters) doing this for?  In addition to her practices with her team, there are workouts we do outside the organization, private lessons and strength and agility training.  Sure she'll get a college scholarship to play at some college at some level but I always feel like softball takes over everything.  Softball shouldn't be who she is, it should be something she does.  And playing for these tournament teams, they take it to an outrageous extreme.  Especially at these younger ages.  
Small world :hifive:

Good luck to you  :)

Assistant Coach for 10U....  My daughter is starting her 1st full year Pitching - Been going to a Tincher Pitching coach and having some fun with it...

Crazy how Girls pitching seems 10x harder than Boys at this level... Been on the fastpitch Forums more than here lately!!

Guessing this is the big year which should flow right into Williamsport and possibly Travel where they should take a big step up... 

So far, having a blast... But, last thing i want to do is start travelling anywhere.....lol, we'll see.

Waiting for the Snow/Cold weather to end so we can get out there instead of indoor time.

Assistant Coach for 10U....  My daughter is starting her 1st full year Pitching - Been going to a Tincher Pitching coach and having some fun with it...

Crazy how Girls pitching seems 10x harder than Boys at this level... Been on the fastpitch Forums more than here lately!!

Guessing this is the big year which should flow right into Williamsport and possibly Travel where they should take a big step up... 

So far, having a blast... But, last thing i want to do is start travelling anywhere.....lol, we'll see.

Waiting for the Snow/Cold weather to end so we can get out there instead of indoor time.
Pitching is ridiculously hard comparatively.   Its funny though how some girls "get it" (I mean they obviously practice).  Our #1 pitcher is not very athletic but man can she sling it, with movement and all.

My daughter pitches and catches (plus CF) - waiting for her to pick a lane, its exhausting working on both  :lol:   shes our #3 and would be really good on a lower team - but probably just average in the tournaments we play.

Pitching is ridiculously hard comparatively.   Its funny though how some girls "get it" (I mean they obviously practice).  Our #1 pitcher is not very athletic but man can she sling it, with movement and all.

My daughter pitches and catches (plus CF) - waiting for her to pick a lane :lol:   shes our #3 and would be really good on a lower team - but probably just average in the tournaments me play.

My kid needs about 30lbs and Attitude...... i mean, We get plenty of attitude when it's time for Homework, Chores, bed or going to school but, all she needs to channel that fire to the mound...lol

I'm a little nervous... From my perspective, If she can pitch our team has unlimited potential... Meanwhile our #1 Pitcher just broke a finger. Should be back in maybe 4 weeks.

Whether she winds up a top pitcher or not, it is cool to see her at 9 years old work hard at something - Just hoping for the payoff and not disaster which could easily go either way at this point... She's pretty stable tho - We had girls last year who would start crying, get upset and give up pitching.... She's been rolling with it so far,

My kid needs about 30lbs and Attitude...... i mean, We get plenty of attitude when it's time for Homework, Chores, bed or going to school but, all she needs to channel that fire to the mound...lol

I'm a little nervous... From my perspective, If she can pitch our team has unlimited potential... Meanwhile our #1 Pitcher just broke a finger. Should be back in maybe 4 weeks.

Whether she winds up a top pitcher or not, it is cool to see her at 9 years old work hard at something - Just hoping for the payoff and not disaster which could easily go either way at this point... She's pretty stable tho - We had girls last year who would start crying, get upset and give up pitching.... She's been rolling with it so far,
My daughter still cries when she gets out or struggles on the mound. But they are tears of anger and motivation :lol:

I'm proud of the amount of work she put in to get to where she is.

She was great at 10U - struggled first year 12U with the ball and distance change.  So far shes been doing well but still struggles to throw her other pitches

My daughter still cries when she gets out or struggles on the mound. But they are tears of anger and motivation :lol:

I'm proud of the amount of work she put in to get to where she is.

She was great at 10U - struggled first year 12U with the ball and distance change.  So far shes been doing well but still struggles to throw her other pitches

That Fastpitch Forum is pretty cool..... Been watching videos of other pitchers trying to see things to work on..

Just got a GoPro to start recording practice and Games!!!

Was looking at this pitcher last night,,, My kid probably has better form but, this kid has more "power" or effort yet I see a lot of wasted power as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e3y7DeagcY

https://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/33465-9u-pitching-video-please-give-advice.html

:thumbup:

don't think i have video of pitching - lots of pictures and videos of hitting. My wife videos a lot  (lots of proud parents stuff :)  )

LOL... Was just going to reply to someone on the fastpitch board.................... And it's Snotbubbles from PHI...

Anyway my question was.... You said Carly Hoover uses Tincher - I pulled up her vids and that deep crouch to start looks nothing like Tincher to me... 

Any other College pitchers use Tincher Coaches???

Pitchers parents are definitely the wackiest in my experience  :oldunsure:  Lots of video taping, pacing back and fourth and coaching from behind the backstop. 

Pitchers parents are definitely the wackiest in my experience  :oldunsure:  Lots of video taping, pacing back and fourth and coaching from behind the backstop. 
Dude - its so damn stressful :lol:   I hate when my kid pitches.   Any other position and I'm relaxed. Any other kid pitching and relaxed :lol:

I'm sure once she gets a little better and older I won't be as stressed.

Although I don't video tape :)

LOL... Was just going to reply to someone on the fastpitch board.................... And it's Snotbubbles from PHI...

Anyway my question was.... You said Carly Hoover uses Tincher - I pulled up her vids and that deep crouch to start looks nothing like Tincher to me... 

Any other College pitchers use Tincher Coaches???
Yes, she's a former Tincher student.  Here is a testimonial from her father on the Tincher website:

“I am very excited about the progress that my daughter has made with her pitch mechanics working with Denny. He challenges conventional wisdom and teaches a delivery that maximizes velocity and spin. At the same time it is a more natural motion and is far less stressful on the body than the traditional “closed” delivery taught by many today. He also made an instant connection with her and she really looks forward to her sessions with him.” – Dave Hoover, Clemson SC  *** Daughter pitching D1

I think Maddie Moss (Tennessee) is another Tincher student.  

Dude - its so damn stressful :lol:   I hate when my kid pitches.   Any other position and I'm relaxed. Any other kid pitching and relaxed :lol:

I go out to center field when my daughter pitches.

Oh... I was bad last year... Imma bout to go out of my mind this year - Pretty sure that's why they made me assistant - so, I can legally yell at her and go talk her down...

I'll have to get a prescription for something.

Pitcher is a stressful position for sure, I just think the pacing and coaching from the sidelines just adds to the pressure. Let the kid pitch, just be supportive and talk to them after the game about form and technique. Or let the coach chat with them in the dugout. Some girls look so dejected out there it can be heartbreaking. :(  

We had a dad on our team last year - He was a High School Football Coach.... He had his lawn chair and he'd just sit there and barely move.

I was like Dude, you are the perfect parent..... World is BURNING, Walks and Runs Raining from the sky on his kid and the guy claps every once in while..

Guy was a ROCK......

Not me.

Users who are viewing this thread