belljr

Any Fastpitch Dads/Coaches here

396 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Hot Diggity Dog said:

Good couple weeks, off the field anyway.  Both daughters will get to play in the all star games at the Sparkler.  Older daughters team had the players vote on their nominees, so cool to be nominated by your teammates.   That should be a lot of fun and a good chance for my older daughter to be seen by some college coaches.  

Also our pitching coach for the younger daughter is trying to put together a team around my younger daughter.  The coach also runs the organization my older daughter plays for.  Already has a coach lined up that has been an eighteen u coach for a different organization the last 4 years.  He wants to put together a team to take up to 18s from 14s.  He has seen her pitch and at least acts like he really wants her.  I hate jumping teams again, but her current team just is a dead end.  bottom third of roster is all c level players and they are the ones that have been on the team the longest. We've got one good coach the rest are ok.  And half the team has to move to 16s, which could be fine but just not a great dynamic on the team.  Like last night they did a scrimmage, daughter was pitching calls a timeout herself asks the team to start talking behind her to get their energy up and focus on the play.  one girl says "Id rather be a whisperer that a yeller." Daughter says "No one can hear you if you don't yell!" Girl walks away from huddle. Got home and daughter was telling us this and she ends by saying "If you are going to have that attitude get off my field!"  I'm like "your field?"  She says "I'm pitching that is my field! Get off if you don't care!" 

Yeah we may need to find and or build a more serious team for her. 

LOL.... WOW...... 

we only had 2 girls cry last night... neither was my daughter, and both were because of the ump!  We got whooped and only scored one run, but I am taking my victories where I can get them! 

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

So has anyone else seen or heard about the bat called the Ghost.  For the life of me cannot remember the maker at the moment, but our coach bought one and my daughter used it last night.  Holy cow there might be something to it.  it is legal for asa tournaments but not usssa tournaments.   I guess the Usssa legal bat comes out June 11th.  $350, maybe an early Christmas gift?😁

looked it up Easton makes it.

Edited by Hot Diggity Dog

I'm a Demarini guy for now

13 minutes ago, belljr said:

I'm a Demarini guy for now

I have a hand me down DeMarini Cat Osterman that my daughter is allowed to start using once she fixes her swing.  It is jacked up (back elbow too high, bat cocked forward) and she does not want to work on it because she is comfortable... and because she was batting 1.000 through 6 games, but she struck out twice last night against good pitchers because there was just no way she could get the bat around fast enough. 

Anyway, it is borderline too big for her, but she is anxious to use the bat so maybe that will motivate her... plus I let Eva use it the last two games, and Eva hit well with it. I think my daughter is now jealous of Eva :lol: 

Daughter needs new bat the umpire finally caught on to the fact her bat doesn't have the current stamp on it.

My daughter is angling for a new glove. We just bought a new catchers mit and bat now she's saying her glove is to small. It's always something :rolleyes:

1 person likes this

What gets me is helmets, being on a new team every year means I have tens of these things.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Kraft... said:

My daughter is angling for a new glove. We just bought a new catchers mit and bat now she's saying her glove is to small. It's always something :rolleyes:

Link to catchers mitt you got her? We're kinda shipping for one now...

8 minutes ago, Jaysus said:

Link to catchers mitt you got her? We're kinda shipping for one now...

Got this one, she's happy with it, soft leather was easy to break in. 

Game 4: Another loss

BUT... Wild thing was closer to the plate - still gave up walks.. Runs - Nobody close to hitting her tho, she needs to relax and Focus -- the stupid songs the girls sing get her off her game!!!!!  Every Ball she throws is like her pet dying.... My response - We need to be better at singing - If you see it throws ppl off then sing it!!!!

One girl was hysterical crying - She wouldn't get in the box to face Wild Thing,......  I don't blame her - I seriously wouldn't either and If I were 9 years old I'd probably #### my pants.  She walked anyway...

My Girl pitched 2 scoreless innings - Man it helps when PEOPLE SHOW UP..... Nice to pitch and get some plays behind you, even a double play!! :cool:

Girl on our team cracked her 1st TWO homeruns!!!!   

Once again, We're the more talented team - We just can't walk a majority of our opponents runs in... 

Anyway - The season is about getting better - everyone makes the playoffs... We need Wild Thing to find her Zen space and carry us home!!!!

We made a comeback and were down by three - Storm clouds rolled in and they called the game before we got last licks.... Oh Well... 

Daughter hurt her wrist Wednesday - with tryout today - YAY!!! :lol:  :wall:

We have a Dead bat :sadbanana: this is the second bat I've had to return under warranty. Last one(A Mezuno) cracked this one(Louisville Slugger) is just dead. The process was pretty painless for the Mezuno, they sent a new bat before receiving the broken one. Louisville needs the old one for evaluation before sending the new one so will be a while(place is in Oregon and we are in Mass). :kicksrock: 

4 minutes ago, belljr said:

Daughter hurt her wrist Wednesday - with tryout today - YAY!!! :lol:  :wall:

Uggghhh..... Best wishes!!!!!

57 minutes ago, Reaper said:

Game 4: Another loss

BUT... Wild thing was closer to the plate - still gave up walks.. Runs - Nobody close to hitting her tho, she needs to relax and Focus -- the stupid songs the girls sing get her off her game!!!!!  Every Ball she throws is like her pet dying.... My response - We need to be better at singing - If you see it throws ppl off then sing it!!!!

She needs to watch the Love of the Game and learn to clear the mechanism. 

1 person likes this

15 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

She needs to watch the Love of the Game and learn to clear the mechanism. 

I never saw this..... Maybe I'll watch it with mine tonight!!!

3 minutes ago, Reaper said:

I never saw this..... Maybe I'll watch it with mine tonight!!!

Probably because Im getting old, but I love this underrated masterpiece. I've spent a large number of weekend in front of the tv after stumbling upon this show. I cant turn it off. :bag:

Looking at 14 hours at the fields today.  Younger daughter starts at 8 for three games, older daughter has two games of bracket play tonight , last game starts at 8:30. Going to be like

:):D:):yucky::yawn::X:shock::rant::wub::sleep:

Posted (edited)

What a spectacular Saturday!!!   We went 0-3 for the first time ever.  Gave an 11u team their first win. Struck out approximately 25 times.  Barely hit. Made 17 errors. Not schtick 17!!!  Our SS booted 4 balls in one game.   Looked like crap. Our #1 is still injured.  My kid is injured. And her swing looks great IN PRACTICE........Our catcher injured. We have about 7 girls that are healthy. Easily the worst day of ball we've had in 3 years.  Some girls I think are showing they aren't ready for this type of ball. So frustrated. They got lazy thinking they are better than they really are.

:ptts:

Edited by belljr

The ladies took 3rd in a single bracket tournament. Gave away the middle game of a three game set going 2-1 on the day. As I have mentioned, my daughter is the only pitcher so she was tired, going 19 innings today. 

3 people like this

15 minutes ago, belljr said:

What a spectacular Saturday!!!   We went 0-3 for the first time ever.  Gave an 11u team their first win. Struck out approximately 25 times.  Barely hit. Made 17 errors. Not schtick 17!!!  Our SS booted 4 balls in one game.   Looked like crap. Our #1 is still injured.  My kid is injured. And her swing looks great IN PRACTICE........Our catcher injured. We have about 7 girls that are healthy. Easily the worst day of ball we've had in 3 years.  Some girls I think are showing they aren't ready for this type of ball. So frustrated. They got lazy thinking they are better than they really are.

Wkends like these sometimes help in the long run

2 people like this

WE WIN!!!!!!

Finally Get a W....  Wild Thing Finally nailed someone, luckily, it turned out to be maybe the toughest girl in the league who didn't even cry.... 

My Girl let up Hits as usual but, it's still better than the other 2 who just walk everyone....

Man, winning is fun...... Head coach is a bit of a drab tho... no game balls????? Even on a W....Oh well...

1 person likes this

On 5/5/2018 at 5:16 PM, Cjw_55106 said:

The ladies took 3rd in a single bracket tournament. Gave away the middle game of a three game set going 2-1 on the day. As I have mentioned, my daughter is the only pitcher so she was tired, going 19 innings today. 

What age bracket is she in? That is a lot of stamina. 

On 5/5/2018 at 5:10 PM, belljr said:

Don't let it get you to down, sounds like a combination of lots of things.  Been there done that lots of times, it happens. 

5 hours ago, Reaper said:

WE WIN!!!!!!

Finally Get a W....  Wild Thing Finally nailed someone, luckily, it turned out to be maybe the toughest girl in the league who didn't even cry.... 

My Girl let up Hits as usual but, it's still better than the other 2 who just walk everyone....

Man, winning is fun...... Head coach is a bit of a drab tho... no game balls????? Even on a W....Oh well...

It is weird but game balls don't seem to be a softball thing.

So with both girls playing it was a very long weekend.  Hit the 8 am game with the younger daughter and the oldest daughter's last game didn't start until 9:20 P.M on Saturday.  Nice 16 hour day of softball.  

But since I'm still up late on Sunday it was an exciting weekend all in all. Older daughters team played in a tournament with the best teams in the state and held their own.  5 games Saturday, 2 in bracket play Saturday night and played one game Sunday morning. Played a top three team in the state last game Saturday, and lost only 4-2.  We had them going for awhile there, tied into the 7th but lost in the bottom of the 7th when they scored two.  Our  team has got three really good pitchers, man this team needs to stay together, youngest pitcher is 14 and is hitting 60 mph on the gun.  The other two are 15, aren't quite as fast but have more control.  Oldest daughter had a home run this weekend on fences set at 220. Team hit a total of 5 all weekend.  There was some talk of trying her out at short, as the team needs someone to play there badly,  but shes 5'9" and the tallest girl on the team, so she played every inning of every game at first.  No one else wants to play first so if it means playing time every game, big win.  There are some unhappy parents because of playing time, but hopefully they come to realize that if we are going to play at this level players not bringing their "A" game need to sit.  If these girls are serious about playing in college they have got to know no spot is given, it is constantly earned.  

Youngest daughter, what to do with her?  She continues to bloom as a pitcher.  Not 6 months ago she wasn't nearly as good as she is now.  Saturday her team faced no competition and rolled everybody.  Sunday they faced better competition and made it to the championship game but lost 10-0.  So Sunday in their first game she pitched against a decent b level hitting team, struck out 11,  walked one, gave up one hit but we went into tiebreaker because they scored 3 unearned runs on errors. We ended up winning 8-3.  Second game #2 pitcher pitched and we won 8-7.  Championship game we finally meet a good team, actually one from out of state, and the coach decides to start #3 pitcher, but telling my daughter she has a very short leash and if things go badly  she will be in. Well things go badly, gets put in in the top of the first, no outs, two runs have scored, bases loaded.   Gets out of the inning only giving up one more run.  They end up getting 6 more unearned runs on 8 errors.  She was very frustrated after that game.  Going to have to work hard to find an A level team for her.  

3 people like this

6 hours ago, Hot Diggity Dog said:

What age bracket is she in? That is a lot of stamina. 

She's in 8th grade. Believe me, she was quite tired midway through game 2. They just don't have any options. Thankfully it's the Freshman team so even 1 day tournaments aren't normal and wont be played again this season. 

Posted (edited)

Welp another terrible day in the books.   Good news/bad news day really.

The good news is Game 1 was against a team that beat us Saturday.  We played "our" game and won easily so that felt good.  Then Game 2 starts and we played good the first inning, after that whatever switch we had on Saturday turned back on.  We looked like a rec team (no offense to rec players, as there is nothing wrong playing rec just trying to paint a picture).   The girls gave up for probably the first time ever.  We got mercied in the second game.  I think for the second time ever.  It is beyond frustrating.  I know we are going to have ups and downs but man this one was embarrassing.   We are trying to build a highly competitive team and its not really working out as we hoped. 

A little back story - six of our girls have played on the Town travel team for the previous 3 years. This year we left to join a club organization. We were always competitive at town ball but we are in new waters now and put together the best team we could with the players that showed up to tryouts.  And for the most part its been pretty good but 2 kids are starting to show "their true colors".  Nicest kids in the world but they show very little desire, don't listen or to be coach-able.  They don't actually have attitudes but I can't tell you the number of times we practice stuff that they just either forget or don't care about doing in a game.  The amount of times we have to tell one of them to charge a bunt is getting ridiculous.  They always have an "excuse".  One play a girl is tagging up from Second on a fly ball to center.  Center field throws it.  She did miss the cutoff but thats not the real issue.  The ball bounces around the shortstop area.  And its probably 5 feet off target.   Our third basemen which is one of the two girls LITERALLY WATCHES IT BOUNCE BY HER.   There was no sense of urgency EVER and its becoming a pattern.  

Sorry for the rant - but we've never had a kid like this.  I know they are still 12 but man some of these kids have the physical tools but no head for the game.  Yes I know as coaches we need to figure out the way to do that and be better doing it but the number of times we practice cuts/baserunning/situations and still have some really bonehead plays has become frustrating :)

So as I said we are trying to compete with the better teams and we have.  We lost 4-1, 8-5, 2-0 to some really good teams.  We've also beat some good teams.  I know its the nature of the beast but man tough pill to swallow this weekend. 

I know we won't win them all - and I really don't mind losing but it's the way we lost that has me aggravated. 

Side note - it was probably the worst weekend for my daughter at the plate.  I think on the season she has had 2 strikeouts.  She had 3 in 2 games.

She looks like a hot mess at the plate.  She is usually a really sound hitter.  We go to the yard or field and the swing looks spectacular.  but the past 2 weeks she looks like a different kid at the plate.  YAY SOFTBALL!#!@#!

Edited by belljr
1 person likes this

My daughter was sent into early retirement.  Took a line drive comebacker in a tournament game last weekend right to the pitching hand.  Hit the thumb directly and pealed back the nail as well as shattered the tip of her thumb.  She is a senior so this is early retirement for her.  Sucks to end that way as they only had about 4 games left on the season. 

Since she was the teams only pitcher it will be a rough end to the season.  They were trying out pitchers last practice and got run ruled in both games since then. 

That sucks Gally

1 hour ago, Gally said:

My daughter was sent into early retirement.  Took a line drive comebacker in a tournament game last weekend right to the pitching hand.  Hit the thumb directly and pealed back the nail as well as shattered the tip of her thumb.  She is a senior so this is early retirement for her.  Sucks to end that way as they only had about 4 games left on the season. 

Since she was the teams only pitcher it will be a rough end to the season.  They were trying out pitchers last practice and got run ruled in both games since then. 

Terribly sorry to hear this...especially as a senior.

As a dad, I hope you did your duty and told her she should have caught it?

4 people like this

11 hours ago, Hot Diggity Dog said:

It is weird but game balls don't seem to be a softball thing.

The only "game balls" we have given were for over the fence homeruns

10 minutes ago, belljr said:

our 10u rec coach still gives one to each girl.  None of our good players have gotten one yet though as he trys to find reasons to give it to the, umm, less skilled girls where ever he can. 

One of our smallest girls got one for getting a foul ball against a lights out pitcher - :lol: 

Posted (edited)

20 minutes ago, belljr said:

I'm still new and I'm dealing with young kids who lost every game up till now - If it were up to me, I was ready to have a parade and bring everyone to get Ice Cream like we won the World Series.....lol

We got a girl that deserves a Game Ball - Smoked 2 Home Runs last game and hit a few nice shots this game!!!! 

Coach said "we only have 12 games and 13 Girls"......  I looked at him Crosseyed.... Uhhhh yeah. So? 

Edited by Reaper
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Gally said:

Sorry Gally.... I'm sure I'd be emotionally effected...lol... My kid was out most of last Spring and It hurt ME.....

Well it depends on "what and age you are playing"   - we don't play in a league and the kids are older.  Our tournaments have MVP medals for Saturday games but even then the younger groups it didn't always go to the kid that earned it.

One thing we did do during our town travel days from 10u and first year of 12U.  Every couple of weeks or so the coach would give out helmet stickers.

He would go through the book and find a least one thing for every kid.  Some kids would only get 1.  (a good sac bunt for example) some would get multiples for Homeruns, Most rbis etc) he would usually give out top 2 rbi getters, best pitching etc The kids enjoyed it.  

33 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Terribly sorry to hear this...especially as a senior.

As a dad, I hope you did your duty and told her she should have caught it?

Of course....or at the least picked it up and threw her out at first....who cares about the blood getting on the ball....hahahaha

Posted (edited)

34 minutes ago, Reaper said:

Sorry Gally.... I'm sure I'd be emotionally effected...lol... My kid was out most of last Spring and It hurt ME.....

It wasn't as bad emotionally as it could have been.  The coach let a lot of chemistry issues go unchecked with the team so she wasn't having that fun of a season.   Lots of backstabbing and cliques causing issues.  There was a back up pitcher talking a lot of crap and a clique that chimed in with her so it has been interesting seeing how the back up pitcher worked out....Turns out she got absolutely hammered in the first start and then proceeded to miss the next three practices and quit.  She couldn't handle the pressure of being the pitcher and found out it wasn't as easy as it looked.  

The bright side is many of the girls have apologized to my daughter for the things they had said this year as they see how her hard work and effort has been greatly missed.  A little too late to salvage the season but at least they finally appreciated how throwing every inning of every game was difficult to do. 

Just like anything else, it has been a good learning experience and it will help her moving forward in life. 

Edited by Gally
4 people like this

First year not coaching in 12 years, watching vicariously through you guys.

On game balls though, I gave 2 out every game and made sure everyone had one by the end of the season, there's always something someone did during a game to be creative on the game ball.  Homeruns always got a game ball.  Maybe it was just me though, but I loved giving them out.

Good luck the rest of the way!

1 person likes this