Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
belljr

Any Fastpitch Dads/Coaches here

Recommended Posts

On 5/13/2019 at 1:57 PM, Jaysus said:

conversely, my daughter has completely forgotten how to swing.  Her stance is ugly, her actual swing is bad, and she is relying on pitchers walking her.  She has one hit all season, but is somehow leading the team in quality at-bats.  I no longer take any stock in that stat.  lol

Midway through our season my 9 hitter was tied for the team lead in OBP, with 0 hits.  Just kept drawing walks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2019 at 3:26 PM, belljr said:

Just popping in to ibrag.

Little belljr has gone legit yard 3 times this year :)   Shes really smoking the ball.  SS is still hot and cold due to playing time at SS.  

On a whole our team is pretty good but we need another pitcher.

Our indoor facility is going out of business this summer :unsure:  no idea what we are going to do.

Only 2 months left --- it goes quick

Good job.

My daughter pitched up in a 14B tournament and threw a 3 hit shutout.  First time at 43 feet.  Super proud.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, belljr said:

Yeah we had a kid using the Blue one in USSSA.    We didnt even care but the ump heard one of our kids say something and they tossed her.  We were up 14-0 lol.  We tried to allow it but the ump said sorry not your call.

You can use the Blue Ghost for ASA, but not the Gold one.  You can use the Gold Ghost for USSSA, but not the Blue one.  I heard they are making a universal one. 

My daughters Gold Ghost broke after a month.  Just too flimsy, but my daughter loves it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daughter(sophomore) made Varsity this spring. She was playing a bit(catcher), mostly in blowouts, started one game. Then she got Mono and has been out for the past month. She can start playing again next week if all checks out :kicksrock: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Snotbubbles said:

You can use the Blue Ghost for ASA, but not the Gold one.  You can use the Gold Ghost for USSSA, but not the Blue one.  I heard they are making a universal one. 

My daughters Gold Ghost broke after a month.  Just too flimsy, but my daughter loves it.  

I know. That's why she was kicked out.   But its still stupid they didn't certify the Gold for all....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kraft... said:

Daughter(sophomore) made Varsity this spring. She was playing a bit(catcher), mostly in blowouts, started one game. Then she got Mono and has been out for the past month. She can start playing again next week if all checks out :kicksrock: 

My biggest gripe about high school sports. Put the kid on the JV where she'll play consistently. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

My biggest gripe about high school sports. Put the kid on the JV where she'll play consistently. 

Agree, they have a freshman pitcher that is also on Varsity. The coach has tried to keep them together as a battery, other than garbage time they played in a couple JV games together but that's about it. They have a strong Varsity so I understand them not getting the PT but some JV PT would be nice once in a while. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kraft... said:

Agree, they have a freshman pitcher that is also on Varsity. The coach has tried to keep them together as a battery, other than garbage time they played in a couple JV games together but that's about it. They have a strong Varsity so I understand them not getting the PT but some JV PT would be nice once in a while. :)

Yeah our girls are going to be freshman.  Our school does it wrong the opposite way.   They will keep a freshman team together almost at all costs.   That is awful too.  Our 3 girls are hoping they make varsity but I told them I'd rather you play JV as a freshman than sit the bench on varsity.   

Edited by belljr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, belljr said:

Yeah our girls are going to be freshman.  Our school does it wrong the opposite way.   They will keep a freshman team together almost at all costs.   That is awful too.  Or 3 girls are hoping they make varsity but I told them I'd rather you play JV as a freshman than sit the bench on varsity.   

There is an advantage to keeping them together too.  I read an article about running a program and the varsity coach said he had his best coaches (at teaching the game ) at the freshman level and never brought up any freshman.  They had that first year to learn from the best teachers on how his program did things.  They were able to get a year under their belt with consistency and learning the right way to do things without the pressure of winning.  He believed it gave all players the best foundation for moving forward when the pressure to win got much higher.

 

I think there is some merit to this but you also have to have some competition at that level to push the kids.  Many areas don't have the luxury of lower level teams being competitive or the coaches available to teach properly.  I think the concept is good but in reality it probably doesn't work to its potential for most teams because of other variables.  Its a fine line between pushing younger players before they are ready and having them get bored if the competition is too bad at the lower levels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Gally said:

There is an advantage to keeping them together too.  I read an article about running a program and the varsity coach said he had his best coaches (at teaching the game ) at the freshman level and never brought up any freshman.  They had that first year to learn from the best teachers on how his program did things.  They were able to get a year under their belt with consistency and learning the right way to do things without the pressure of winning.  He believed it gave all players the best foundation for moving forward when the pressure to win got much higher.

 

I think there is some merit to this but you also have to have some competition at that level to push the kids.  Many areas don't have the luxury of lower level teams being competitive or the coaches available to teach properly.  I think the concept is good but in reality it probably doesn't work to its potential for most teams because of other variables.  Its a fine line between pushing younger players before they are ready and having them get bored if the competition is too bad at the lower levels. 

Yes - I should have added.  When I say all costs they will take "rec kids" that probably have no business playing in high school to make sure the freshman team stays together.

I agree there are advantages but our reality is  - 3 of the kids are play high level club.  2 or 3 mid level. 1 town travel.   The rest are going to be rec kids that didnt make the middle school team this year.....

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see the thread come back! It is a great time of year.

Both daughters are playing on 16a teams this year, one 14 one 16.  the 14 y/o is getting a baptism by fire some games but is also learning to compete and had her first over the fence home run this year too.  16 year old is tearing it up 4 tournaments in since spring started she's got 9 hrs and one game winning grand slam.   she also got her first invite to a college, a NAIA school in Kansas.   Pretty cool.  

Edited by Hot Diggity Dog
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, am I the only one with a son that plays baseball?  We just ended his 13U club season here in Arizona as it gets way too hot to play in the summer.  My son ended the season as our team's best pitcher leading us in innings, ERA, Wins, and strikeouts.  He played very well defensively in the outfield and 1st base.  He just needs to continue to improve on hitting.  He will continue to take hitting lessons over the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

Man, am I the only one with a son that plays baseball?  We just ended his 13U club season here in Arizona as it gets way too hot to play in the summer.  My son ended the season as our team's best pitcher leading us in innings, ERA, Wins, and strikeouts.  He played very well defensively in the outfield and 1st base.  He just needs to continue to improve on hitting.  He will continue to take hitting lessons over the summer.

My son plays tee-ball!  Which made coaching softball interesting last night because he had a game at the same time and it was my family's turn to run concessions. Luckily the other family assigned would't let me relieve him for my shift and he insisted I go back to coaching first base. I did have to clean and close the stand after I got done dragging the field though...

 

ETA: but on the plus side, free hot dogs!

Edited by Jaysus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Little belljr in a big slump right now. Swing hasn't changed much but shes striking out a little more than normally and just not hitting well.

We did not play well this weekend.  We played in a Elite Select Tournament and did not fair well. We went 2-3 on the weekend.  Probably should have went 3-3 or 3-2

We can just not hit all of a sudden and me made some terrible errors on routine plays. Looked like a rec team almost.   It was bad....

Not our best showing

 

Edited by belljr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2019 at 11:35 AM, Don't Noonan said:

Man, am I the only one with a son that plays baseball?  We just ended his 13U club season here in Arizona as it gets way too hot to play in the summer.  My son ended the season as our team's best pitcher leading us in innings, ERA, Wins, and strikeouts.  He played very well defensively in the outfield and 1st base.  He just needs to continue to improve on hitting.  He will continue to take hitting lessons over the summer.

Son plays 13U as well, but in OH.  We're in mid-season right now.  A couple of good outings at pitcher, and he's hitting the ball really well.  The team as a whole is not faring so well.  This team has been together for 5 years and showed a lot of promise last year.  This year I think we're finally seeing some of the kids decide baseball isn't their "first sport", and the focus isn't there.  Coaches are starting hear more excuses and "mystery arm pain" from all players - not just pitchers.  It's frustrating, but I guess growing pains all teams go through at this age.  My son is one of those "baseball first" kids, and his frustration is starting to show more every game.  Before he'd never dream of changing teams and would talk about it.  This season he's openly discussing the possibility and asking what he should do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found out today the daughters are going to play each other in a tournament the first weekend in June.   We will see if the younger daughter gets the pitching start against the older daughters team.  Could be a long day for someone and they don't get along well in competitive situations. They played once in the fall but the younger daughter played first and didn't pitch.  Older daughter hit a walk off home run in  that game to win 9-8.  we will have to see if we can keep the family together that weekend. 

Younger daughter had some excitement this week.  a division one school looked at her profile on sports recruits.   She was very excited.   we got two notifications about it 14 hours apart so it sounds like maybe two different people looked at it.  at the very least it wasn't an accident.   she will be a freshman this fall but I suppose they start looking at people that early.   you can never have enough pitching right.  just wondering how they got her name, maybe you can search positions as a coach or they may have seen her at one of these last few tournaments.   I think there were some coaches there incognito. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hot Diggity Dog said:

Found out today the daughters are going to play each other in a tournament the first weekend in June.   We will see if the younger daughter gets the pitching start against the older daughters team.  Could be a long day for someone and they don't get along well in competitive situations. They played once in the fall but the younger daughter played first and didn't pitch.  Older daughter hit a walk off home run in  that game to win 9-8.  we will have to see if we can keep the family together that weekend. 

Younger daughter had some excitement this week.  a division one school looked at her profile on sports recruits.   She was very excited.   we got two notifications about it 14 hours apart so it sounds like maybe two different people looked at it.  at the very least it wasn't an accident.   she will be a freshman this fall but I suppose they start looking at people that early.   you can never have enough pitching right.  just wondering how they got her name, maybe you can search positions as a coach or they may have seen her at one of these last few tournaments.   I think there were some coaches there incognito. 

My daughter is in 8th grade. I porbably should fill out something.    We didnt even update our website....  I'm 50/50 on if she plays in college.  I mean she 100% has the ability. Not sure I care if she does play... 

Edited by belljr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2019 at 8:35 AM, Don't Noonan said:

Man, am I the only one with a son that plays baseball?  We just ended his 13U club season here in Arizona as it gets way too hot to play in the summer.  My son ended the season as our team's best pitcher leading us in innings, ERA, Wins, and strikeouts.  He played very well defensively in the outfield and 1st base.  He just needs to continue to improve on hitting.  He will continue to take hitting lessons over the summer.

Been there, done that. My son is now a college freshman and just completed his season of riding the bench at a DIII school. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, belljr said:

My daughter is in 8th grade. I porbably should fill out something.    We didnt even update our website....  I'm 50/50 on if she plays in college.  I mean she 100% has the ability. Not sure I care if she does play... 

The organization my daughter plays for has a person that coaches some but has a main job of keeping the girls informed and contacting coaches etc.  she knows what she is doing.  a nice addition to have to our own efforts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hot Diggity Dog said:

The organization my daughter plays for has a person that coaches some but has a main job of keeping the girls informed and contacting coaches etc.  she knows what she is doing.  a nice addition to have to our own efforts. 

Yeah - we are behind in that regard.  We dont have any experience

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, belljr said:

Yeah - we are behind in that regard.  We dont have any experience

you might consider joining an organization,  seems like most around here will let you bring a team in complete.  the connections alone are worth it if the kids want to play in college. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Hot Diggity Dog said:

you might consider joining an organization,  seems like most around here will let you bring a team in complete.  the connections alone are worth it if the kids want to play in college. 

We are. Just not huge. But we don't have one person dedicated to this. Usually the older coaches show the younger the ropes.  We've placed plenty of college girls but haven't started

The head coach has been behind with updating the website also

Edited by belljr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.