What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Fastpitch Dads/Coaches here (2 Viewers)

Have a tournament scheduled for this weekend.  Fields are 3 miles from the house.  Daughter was set to pitch against one of the better teams in the city.... and snow on the ground this morning.   More supposed to come in this afternoon.  Maybe we will get to play pool games on Sunday.  ? 

A good sporting goods store will have hand warmers for QBs she can wear at her belt; warm hands for release and impart rotation. 

These boring game are part of the reason why kids can't field later and have no concept of the game.  Walk fests suck and are terrible for all aspects of the game.  Hitters learn they don't ever have to swing because pitchers can't throw 3 out of 7 pitches for a strike.  Fielders don't learn how to field live off the bat because nobody ever hits the ball.  Teams don't know where to go when balls are put in play because the last time one was put in play was 45 minutes ago.  Not throwing strikes sucks the entire life out of the game. 

I am also the parent of a pitcher but if you can't throw strikes everything suffers.  I am by no means advocating changing your mechanics just so you throw strikes but throwing strikes should be the primary goal of teaching pitching.  Typically that happens when mechanics are done properly.  Hit your spots with your fastball (yes throw as hard as you can by using the proper mechanics) and get to a point where you can throw the ball consistently to the same spot. 
That's not true.  In a game, a kid might get 3 balls hit to her.  In practice she'll get 100.  If she can't field, it's probably because she isn't practicing enough.  Same principle for coverages.  They're learned during the week, not during the games.  

It takes 2 years to properly learn the fastball mechanics.  So if a kid starts learning to pitch at 8U by second year 10U they should be able to hit their spots 2 out of every 5 pitches and at least be around the plate on the misses.  My daughter is first year 12U and she now has less than a walk per inning.  

That's not true.  In a game, a kid might get 3 balls hit to her.  In practice she'll get 100.  If she can't field, it's probably because she isn't practicing enough.  Same principle for coverages.  They're learned during the week, not during the games.  

It takes 2 years to properly learn the fastball mechanics.  So if a kid starts learning to pitch at 8U by second year 10U they should be able to hit their spots 2 out of every 5 pitches and at least be around the plate on the misses.  My daughter is first year 12U and she now has less than a walk per inning.  
Anybody that plays the game understands that when a pitchers throws 15 balls before throwing a strike (that probably isn't put in play anyway) it is hard to stay focused and ready for a ball being hit.  You can take thousands of GB's but when it's a walk fest and nobody (especially 8-9-10 yr olds) thinks the ball will be put in play the fielders aren't at their best and have a difficult time making plays. They just aren't ready for a ball to be hit.   Walks and not throwing strikes severely takes the game down and affects all aspects of play.  Batters aren't ready to swing (why should they because the next pitch is likely a ball anyway) and fielders are not ready for the ball to be put in play. 

Game situations can be talked about and shown in practice but there is no substitute for it taking place in an actual game.  Simulating live off the bat at practice is very difficult to do from a coach hitting a fungo.  Intersquads help but then you can't specifically work on one situation because that is hard to force to happen in a scrimmage setting.  You can go over bunt coverages, cut responsibilities, etc.  But things happen in a game that players need to adjust to that can't be simulated at practice.  Balls being put in play where runners have to read whether or not a ball will be caught, fielders need to decide to make the play at second or third based on the speed of the runner, etc can only really be learned by playing in a game. 

When walks happen and very little balls are put in play the game grinds to a halt and kids have a harder time learning situations.  I am not saying that 8U pitchers should expect to throw a majority of strikes.  I totally agree with you that it takes time to learn how to pitch underhand.  It is very difficult to do.  What I am saying is at those age groups other things (like using the tee instead of walking) should be used to help the game actually get played.  Walks don't help anybody at that age group.  Balls being put in play do. 

Bean ball

A crossover of baseball from softball but daughter related.

Wow, unfortunately not really surprised.  There are some intense intolerant people out there.

Bean ball

A crossover of baseball from softball but daughter related.

Wow, unfortunately not really surprised.  There are some intense intolerant people out there.
IF this happened (and I can easily see the situation playing out as reported) the coaches should be removed immediately and permanently. No reason to even allow a defense IMO. 

So we played a team today for the middle school team. Their starter was ok. Then they brought in a girl that was really not good and threw maybe 35 mph.  My daughter gets up to bat and swung so hard and early she probably could have swung a second time she was that far ahead.  She then watches a chin high strike for strike 3 lol

HERE WE GO!!!!

Opening Day....... I have about 120 things to remind my kid...lol.

I'll just shut up   HAVE FUN!!!!!!

8th grader finally got some time in a game situation with an indoor scrimmage yesterday. She pitched 3 innings for the 10th grade team and did fine. The first inning was bad though. I think she was nervous, but she claims she wasn’t. Lots of pitches in the dirt. The second and third innings were much better and if the defense was average, she would have probably faced 7-8 batters combined in the two innings. 

She walked on 5 pitches in her only AB. 

Already they're talking about whether she had her back foot down at all times.. So I watched "Hop" vids a bunch... I'll have to keep an eye on this but, I think the whole TIncher "IR" throws Vs the old style HE follow thru throws ppl off too.... She's taking advantage of taking an aggressive step. I Taped the game and I can see the coaches and a league rep all huddled up talking about it...lol

Admittedly she pitched to the bottom of the order - but, I gotta keep her confidence up and take it to practice and the next game.

On the flip side... our "ace" gave up all those runs and walked a ton...

Told my kid that's how pitching is and next game it can be flipped - just have to handle it and not over react.

Hope the weather holds out this week - Book an indoor cage for tonight at least.

Well the storm moved through quickly and we were able to play Saturday.  This was an interesting tournament.  A few of the better teams and a lot of c level teams.  Saturday we could not get runs and went 1-2 which meant we got seeded in the lower bracket.  

Daughter pitched two games out of three Sunday, first game was a perfect game.  Only played 3 innings as we dominated offensively but faced 9 batters and struck out 7.  In the championship game she threw a no hitter, struck out 6 but walked 6.  The umpire in the championship game is no friend of our team as our coach has reported him before for not letting us finish out a game to the time limit even though we were behind, and by the hugs given out after the game he had lots of friends on the other team.  But she did have less control in the championship game.  Very cool she got our brackets first place and championship game mvp. It was good to see her and her team completely dominate teams they should dominate. 

So the two teams we lost too on Saturday in pool play ended up playing each other for the championship of the gold bracket.  She did not pitch as well as she can against one of those teams but still only gave up 3 earned runs but we lost 7 to 0.  The team as a whole needs to find its bats against the better pitchers.

Anybody that plays the game understands that when a pitchers throws 15 balls before throwing a strike (that probably isn't put in play anyway) it is hard to stay focused and ready for a ball being hit.  You can take thousands of GB's but when it's a walk fest and nobody (especially 8-9-10 yr olds) thinks the ball will be put in play the fielders aren't at their best and have a difficult time making plays. They just aren't ready for a ball to be hit.   Walks and not throwing strikes severely takes the game down and affects all aspects of play.  Batters aren't ready to swing (why should they because the next pitch is likely a ball anyway) and fielders are not ready for the ball to be put in play. 

Game situations can be talked about and shown in practice but there is no substitute for it taking place in an actual game.  Simulating live off the bat at practice is very difficult to do from a coach hitting a fungo.  Intersquads help but then you can't specifically work on one situation because that is hard to force to happen in a scrimmage setting.  You can go over bunt coverages, cut responsibilities, etc.  But things happen in a game that players need to adjust to that can't be simulated at practice.  Balls being put in play where runners have to read whether or not a ball will be caught, fielders need to decide to make the play at second or third based on the speed of the runner, etc can only really be learned by playing in a game. 

When walks happen and very little balls are put in play the game grinds to a halt and kids have a harder time learning situations.  I am not saying that 8U pitchers should expect to throw a majority of strikes.  I totally agree with you that it takes time to learn how to pitch underhand.  It is very difficult to do.  What I am saying is at those age groups other things (like using the tee instead of walking) should be used to help the game actually get played.  Walks don't help anybody at that age group.  Balls being put in play do. 
This argument is different than your previous one.  Previously you said kids can't learn when the pitcher walks a bunch of kids.  This is something totally different.  Kids not being ready and kids not knowing are two different things.  

I've watched enough 8U games to see that 99% of the time, a ball gets put into play it's a hit.  Most kids don't have the physical tools to make the throws and/or catch the balls.  At those ages, practice is where the learning happens, not the games. 

Already they're talking about whether she had her back foot down at all times.. So I watched "Hop" vids a bunch... I'll have to keep an eye on this but, I think the whole TIncher "IR" throws Vs the old style HE follow thru throws ppl off too.... She's taking advantage of taking an aggressive step. I Taped the game and I can see the coaches and a league rep all huddled up talking about it...lol

Admittedly she pitched to the bottom of the order - but, I gotta keep her confidence up and take it to practice and the next game.

On the flip side... our "ace" gave up all those runs and walked a ton...

Told my kid that's how pitching is and next game it can be flipped - just have to handle it and not over react.

Hope the weather holds out this week - Book an indoor cage for tonight at least.
My daughter did both styles.  I can tell you when she was doing HE she had a lot of soreness in her trap area and lower back.  Since moving to Tincher, she hasn't had one issue.  Plus, her control has gotten 100x better without losing any velocity and her spins are tighter.

This is going to be a DAD RANT.  

So as mentioned previously our middle school team is a mess. They keep 16 kids have had 1 hitting practice.    The guy I coach club with, his daughter and my daughter are our catchers.

Overall they are pretty even.   His daughter is a bit better at certain things and mine is a bit better at other things.  He even is mad that his daughter is "catching too much".  He figured they would split time.  His kid is a little more heady and vocal, mine is a bit more agile and stronger arm

Anyway, my daughter has not been playing a ton maybe 3-4 innings a game.  I'm guessing she didn't do as great in her tryout as she said, I don't know.  She said she did good, she also had to leave a bit early from catching tryouts.  I don't know what to make of it.  The thing is - the teacher has them penciled in as their 2 catchers. Coaches daughter and my daughter.  

I'm trying to not get frustrated by this as other parents told me the same thing - keep your expectations low.  THey don't know what they are doing but they have played 3 games no practice. Scored 43 runs and given up 2.   The #1 catcher has caught all 3 games  without a break :lol:    They even took a 5 minute break trying to do subs last game when we were up 20-0.  Not one time did it occur to swap catchers.  I know they are trying to get everyone playing time but its getting frustrating... I figured she would just get some reps to keep active

For our club team my daughter will catch 2 to 3 games a weekend and the coaches daughter the rest.   The best part is our club ace is on the school team and pitches - and my daughter has caught her a bunch.   Also she bats 3rd for our team and the coaches daughter is 5th or 6th.  I don't make the lineup :lol:

The school team his daughter 4th which is fine - mine bats wherever :lol:

The real kicker in all this is I'm trying to teach my daughter the right thing, today I had my daughter ask the coach the following.  " What can I do to improve, to get a chance to catch or more playing time?"   And the teacher says "we'll see next practice"   . Although my daughter bricked it by starting off "My dad wanted me to ask" :lmao:   I'm not one of those parents that going to email the teacher and demand playing time (yes that's happened)

I'm trying to have my daughter learn from this.

I'm not trying to sound like MY KID IS THE BEST but when other parents are asking me why shes not catching or playing. I just shrug.  She is probably realistically 5-7 on the roster. Maybe shes not that good afterall :)

In the end the school ball isn't really that good so i'm trying not to get frustrated but man its tough :lol:           I've had one parent ask her to tryout for a Eastern Regional Team (which I don't think shes good enough for that) but she can't start on her school team ;)

/dad rant.

Last edited by a moderator:
This argument is different than your previous one.  Previously you said kids can't learn when the pitcher walks a bunch of kids.  This is something totally different.  Kids not being ready and kids not knowing are two different things.  

I've watched enough 8U games to see that 99% of the time, a ball gets put into play it's a hit.  Most kids don't have the physical tools to make the throws and/or catch the balls.  At those ages, practice is where the learning happens, not the games. 
Learning happens both places.  You cannot simulate all game type situations at practice.  Live off the bat reads for both baserunning and fielding must take place in games.  That is something learned that you cannot simulate ideally at practice.  You need both practice and game experience to learn properly.

Kids don't learn the game when all the pitcher does is walk players.  Some things must be learned at game speed.  The internal clock on where a play must go can't be learned at practice and doesn't get learned in walk fests. 

So as mentioned previously our middle school team is a mess. They keep 16 kids have had 1 hitting practice.    The guy I coach club with, his daughter and my daughter are our catchers.

Overall they are pretty even.   His daughter is a bit better at certain things and mine is a bit better at other things.  He even is mad that his daughter is "catching too much".  He figured they would split time.  His kid is a little more heady and vocal, mine is a bit more agile and stronger arm

Anyway, my daughter has not been playing a ton maybe 3-4 innings a game.  I'm guessing she didn't do as great in her tryout as she said, I don't know.  She said she did good, she also had to leave a bit early from catching tryouts.  I don't know what to make of it.  The thing is - the teacher has them penciled in as their 2 catchers. Coaches daughter and my daughter.  

I'm trying to not get frustrated by this as other parents told me the same thing - keep your expectations low.  THey don't know what they are doing but they have played 3 games no practice. Scored 43 runs and given up 2.   The #1 catcher has caught all 3 games  without a break :lol:    They even took a 5 minute break trying to do subs last game when we were up 20-0.  Not one time did it occur to swap catchers.  I know they are trying to get everyone playing time but its getting frustrating... I figured she would just get some reps to keep active

For our club team my daughter will catch 2 to 3 games a weekend and the coaches daughter the rest.   The best part is our club ace is on the school team and pitches - and my daughter has caught her a bunch.   Also she bats 3rd for our team and the coaches daughter is 5th or 6th.  I don't make the lineup :lol:

The real kicker in all this is I'm trying to teach my daughter the right thing, today I had my daughter ask the coach the following.  " What can I do to improve, to get a chance to catch or more playing time?"   And the teacher says "we'll see next practice"   . Although my daughter bricked it by starting off "My dad wanted me to ask" :lmao:   I'm not one of those parents that going to email the teacher and demand playing time (yes that's happened)

I'm not trying to sound like MY KID IS THE BEST but when other parents are asking me why shes not catching or playing. I just shrug.  She is probably realistically 5-7 on the roster. Maybe shes not that good afterall :)

In the end the school ball isn't really that good so i'm trying not to get frustrated but man its tough :lol:           I've had one parent ask her to tryout for a Eastern Regional Team (which I don't think shes good enough for that) but she can't start on her school team ;)

/dad rant.
In my experience, school ball generally sucks all around  :shrug:

/dad rant.
You might ask the coach about the situation, it might be some misunderstanding or there might be a plan (however strange).  If the coach won't talk to your daughter or give her an explanation it's not out of line for you to respectfully ask wtf?  At least you  will "know" the reason.

You might ask the coach about the situation, it might be some misunderstanding or there might be a plan (however strange).  If the coach won't talk to your daughter or give her an explanation it's not out of line for you to respectfully ask wtf?  At least you  will "know" the reason.
In the end I don't care that much.  She plays every game in the outfield, i was just hoping she would get some extra catcher reps.   The teachers wont let them throw anything but fastballs, anyway.  We'll see, its just a little frustrating

/dad rant.

The future.... lol... 

All I can say it... Thank God, I swayed my kid from Dance to Softball because those dads I know are sitting for hours at competitions every weekend around here,

while kid is in full make up dressed like a Vegas show dancer or worse..... lol

In the end I don't care that much.  She plays every game in the outfield, i was just hoping she would get some extra catcher reps.   The teachers wont let them throw anything but fastballs, anyway.  We'll see, its just a little frustrating
A situation like this (where the kid is playing every game just not at their preferred position) should be taken care of by the kid.  You are doing the proper thing in offering advice and staying out of the discussion with the coach.  It's part of the overall life lessons that kids need to learn while playing a sport.  If they don't understand something about play time or positioning then they should have a civil conversation with the coach to figure out what they have to do in the coaches eyes to improve or get a chance at another position.  They might not like the answer but it is part of life and growing up.

/dad rant.
Just so I'm clear.

1. The middle school coaches kid plays the same position as your daughter.  The coach is mad that his daughter has to catch so many innings.  You coach with the guy in club ball.

OR

2.  The guy you coach with in club ball with has a daughter who plays the same position as your daughter.  He is mad that the coach of the middle school is playing his daughter too much.

Learning happens both places.  You cannot simulate all game type situations at practice.  Live off the bat reads for both baserunning and fielding must take place in games.  That is something learned that you cannot simulate ideally at practice.  You need both practice and game experience to learn properly.

Kids don't learn the game when all the pitcher does is walk players.  Some things must be learned at game speed.  The internal clock on where a play must go can't be learned at practice and doesn't get learned in walk fests. 
Disagree.  We simulate live bat reads and base running in practice.  Maybe you're not doing it right. 

Disagree.  We simulate live bat reads and base running in practice.  Maybe you're not doing it right. 
We do as well.  It's still a simulation.  There is no substitute for actual game reads and reactions.  You can get close and get the basics but actual reads only happen in games.  You can tell a kid what to do all the time.  It's still practice at practice speed (no matter how much you tell a kid to go game speed not everyone does).  Until they experience it many times they just won't get it completely.

Example from last game:  Runner on 3rd - 0 outs

Tell base runner to tag on shallow fly ball and draw a throw home to see where the throw goes.   Runner does this but doesn't fully understand that since the throw was over the cut off and took the catcher way up the line they should have continued home because there was no way the catcher could go get the ball and get back to the plate for the tag.  You cannot truly simulate this in practice.  It is something that must be learned through experience of playing the game and seeing that specific situation.  You have to be aware of where the pitcher is, if someone can get to home for a throw from the catcher, can the catcher get back on his own.  Did you get a good enough jump to continue on based on where the throw is?  Too many factors to simulate in practice.  Only get experience in game when ball is put in play.

Another example from last game:  Nobody on base ball hit into gap (two different times)

CF and RF converge on the ball, 2B goes out for cut.  Happens to be a big slow runner and we are able to have a play at 2B.

Next inning same thing happens.  This time runner is faster and they set up for same play.  However, there is no play at 2B and they have to readjust for play at 3B.  Same hit different runners and fielders have to adjust on the fly based on game specifics.  Again, you can simulate in practice but very difficult as "practice mentality" creeps in and speed of the play doesn't differ drastically enough to make a difference.  You can get close so the players know the basics but the instincts are honed in the game situation to know to readjust alignments and reactions. 

Maybe you have exceptional kids that go full game speed for every drill you do at practice.  Maybe your kids don't "cheat" as runners during drills no matter how much you stress to play it live.  Maybe you are an exceptional coach that is able to get every single one of your players to not screw off when you are going over a similar situation for the 4th time because it is a little bit different with different cues to read.  If that is the case congratulations you are better than I.

I will always believe game experience is much better than practice simulations no matter how good your practice drills, pace, and participation are.  You can't cover it all in practice.  Some learning must take place in games.

Just so I'm clear.

1. The middle school coaches kid plays the same position as your daughter.  The coach is mad that his daughter has to catch so many innings.  You coach with the guy in club ball.

OR

2.  The guy you coach with in club ball with has a daughter who plays the same position as your daughter.  He is mad that the coach of the middle school is playing his daughter too much.

The head coach that i assist of our club team.  His daughter catches and my daughter catches. They are our 1 and 2.  My kid really is a better CF than catcher but is solid behind the plate and they are really like a 1 and 1A in reality.   He assumed like me they would split time or alternate games.  I wouldn't say we're mad but more of a like wth?  He doesn't want her catching all of school ball plus the weekends.  He might say something to the teacher after we see how this week goes.  His daughter earned the right to be the catcher - I have Zero issue with that.  My daughter will be catching during our tournaments.   We joke about it at the games.   This obviously will all change once they get a little older and play HS.

I know it doesn't come through in text that well.  But I'm really not overly upset by it, I was just venting a little as a dad :)

eta: The 2 coaches are 2 women in their late 50s/early 60s.

@belljr So.... expanding on the catcher gear comment a bit.... what type of equipment bag does your daughter actually use?  Does she have a normal bag and a catcher bag, or just a giant catcher bag?  What about the other catcher?

This is the first season that my daughter actually fits in the catcher gear handed down to use, and she is reluctant to consolidate to one bag... and my trunk hates having the giant old school Mariners bag living in there full time  :oldunsure:  

A situation like this (where the kid is playing every game just not at their preferred position) should be taken care of by the kid.  You are doing the proper thing in offering advice and staying out of the discussion with the coach.  It's part of the overall life lessons that kids need to learn while playing a sport.  If they don't understand something about play time or positioning then they should have a civil conversation with the coach to figure out what they have to do in the coaches eyes to improve or get a chance at another position.  They might not like the answer but it is part of life and growing up.
Completely agree. I’ve always taken this approach when I wasn’t the coach and I am still surprised at times what my kids aren’t afraid to ask coaches, teachers, other adults in regards to explanations on things. They are just as likely to hold conversations with adults now days as they are other kids their age. 

We do as well.  It's still a simulation.  There is no substitute for actual game reads and reactions.  You can get close and get the basics but actual reads only happen in games.  You can tell a kid what to do all the time.  It's still practice at practice speed (no matter how much you tell a kid to go game speed not everyone does).  Until they experience it many times they just won't get it completely.

Example from last game:  Runner on 3rd - 0 outs

Tell base runner to tag on shallow fly ball and draw a throw home to see where the throw goes.   Runner does this but doesn't fully understand that since the throw was over the cut off and took the catcher way up the line they should have continued home because there was no way the catcher could go get the ball and get back to the plate for the tag.  You cannot truly simulate this in practice.  It is something that must be learned through experience of playing the game and seeing that specific situation.  You have to be aware of where the pitcher is, if someone can get to home for a throw from the catcher, can the catcher get back on his own.  Did you get a good enough jump to continue on based on where the throw is?  Too many factors to simulate in practice.  Only get experience in game when ball is put in play.

Another example from last game:  Nobody on base ball hit into gap (two different times)

CF and RF converge on the ball, 2B goes out for cut.  Happens to be a big slow runner and we are able to have a play at 2B.

Next inning same thing happens.  This time runner is faster and they set up for same play.  However, there is no play at 2B and they have to readjust for play at 3B.  Same hit different runners and fielders have to adjust on the fly based on game specifics.  Again, you can simulate in practice but very difficult as "practice mentality" creeps in and speed of the play doesn't differ drastically enough to make a difference.  You can get close so the players know the basics but the instincts are honed in the game situation to know to readjust alignments and reactions. 

Maybe you have exceptional kids that go full game speed for every drill you do at practice.  Maybe your kids don't "cheat" as runners during drills no matter how much you stress to play it live.  Maybe you are an exceptional coach that is able to get every single one of your players to not screw off when you are going over a similar situation for the 4th time because it is a little bit different with different cues to read.  If that is the case congratulations you are better than I.

I will always believe game experience is much better than practice simulations no matter how good your practice drills, pace, and participation are.  You can't cover it all in practice.  Some learning must take place in games.
On the play in the RC gap...was the SS not covering the bag?

On the play in the RC gap...was the SS not covering the bag?
The SS was there but the runner had already passed the bag.   We communicated and the play was adjusted well but I was just trying to illustrate that you can run cut drills in practice but in a game a similarly hit ball doesn't have the exact same result.  Game situations matter as well as outside forces (runner speed) that get learned on the fly in a game.  Those things cannot be taught completely in practice.

Completely agree. I’ve always taken this approach when I wasn’t the coach and I am still surprised at times what my kids aren’t afraid to ask coaches, teachers, other adults in regards to explanations on things. They are just as likely to hold conversations with adults now days as they are other kids their age. 
My daughter is a little shy and quiet.  Thats why I'm having her do it.   She'll go all out playing but shes "timid" with that type of stuff.

@belljr So.... expanding on the catcher gear comment a bit.... what type of equipment bag does your daughter actually use?  Does she have a normal bag and a catcher bag, or just a giant catcher bag?  What about the other catcher?

This is the first season that my daughter actually fits in the catcher gear handed down to use, and she is reluctant to consolidate to one bag... and my trunk hates having the giant old school Mariners bag living in there full time  :oldunsure:  
@Jaysus

The catchers all have this bag

https://www.boombah.com/us/product.html?item=94333

The bag is awesome. We have 3 bats. Her catchers gear including helmet. Her batting helmet. Her fielder glove and mask. Sunglasses and little odds and ends. (batting gloves, tape, inhaler, headbands etc).     Once you figure out the best way to fit it it is great

Not sure if I should post but this is my favorite pic from when she was 11

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP3Ip21S18b_mlGOHV68EQT_z0WFGBXqwSVPJKEtsAcZWX2lD-nYlRnGoEIkB0k0Q/photo/AF1QipOy38GLj9SLx48UzrxLylUHlhMLIQkQ1yEyvZS4?key=OXh1dEd2LVpneHVmV1E4NlRuSWlyaHVOeGVpWWZ3

:)

@Jaysus

The catchers all have this bag

https://www.boombah.com/us/product.html?item=94333

The bag is awesome. We have 3 bats. Her catchers gear including helmet. Her batting helmet. Her fielder glove and mask. Sunglasses and little odds and ends. (batting gloves, tape, inhaler, headbands etc).     Once you figure out the best way to fit it it is great

and this is my favorite pic from when she was 11

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP3Ip21S18b_mlGOHV68EQT_z0WFGBXqwSVPJKEtsAcZWX2lD-nYlRnGoEIkB0k0Q/photo/AF1QipOy38GLj9SLx48UzrxLylUHlhMLIQkQ1yEyvZS4?key=OXh1dEd2LVpneHVmV1E4NlRuSWlyaHVOeGVpWWZ3

:)

Flashback to a great moment.....    https://youtu.be/JR1nJJYuZdY

Got any pitching vids?

My kid is shy too... that's why I'm so happy she's fine getting out there to pitch!!!!

My own rant \ maybe im the worst softball parent ever / some people suck / I might be one of them.

So Monday practice show up to watch some practice and relax.  Parent of other pitcher on team says "despite what game changer says your daughter didn't pitch a perfect game."  First thing not hi not how goes it just bang let me piss on your day and good vibes from Sunday.  So I calmly explain a perfect game isn't striking everyone out. ?‍?

So then we have to get into how the 3rd pitcher on the team has the best stats on the team because She pitches against the worst teams. Calmly try to explain NO ONE GIVES A #### ABOUT YOUR STATS WHEN YOU PLAY IN A  14U B DIVISION.  It might be a helpful tool for  coaches, fun to look at, etc. but you ain't getting a scholarship because of your 14b stats.  ?

Then we move into how her daughter had her no hitter broken up on Sunday. Yeah that was really unfortunate when that girl hit it 210 feet over the centerfield fence.  Maybe we should of had a shift on.?

So on the drive home start talking to my wife about it. Daughter hears it of course but she is the kid that is bright enough to know we don't repeat these opinions and stories in front of other people.  So get off phone and I am still muttering to myself. Daughter says "Dad actually I think her no hitter was broken up when the first batter got a single. "  I was like yeah that too.?

So I'm like "Take this as a life lesson..." before I can finish she cuts in "What be nice to people's faces and talk about them behind their backs?" ?? She gives me her little smirk she does when she knows she is being clever.  I  say "Noooo be happy when your teammates do well or people will talk behind your back!  Obviously."   

Anyway she called me a bad person several times and we laughed all the way home.  

I have no idea what the moral of the story is but she brighten my day at the end there.

That parent sucks lol.

We are playing in a 14b tournament (we are 12) this weekend and just lost are best pitcher with a sprained ankle. And our starting 1B has been out since February with a bad knee.  We are down to 10 kids unsure

OK.. Game 2 Tomorrow....

It's going to be 44 deg .. 37 wind chill with 15mph wind ,cloudy and chance of rain

Sure hope they call that one. 

We were able to sneak in our first game of the spring last night... which was nice because games were snowed out the night before and are looking to be rained out tonight. We got 5 innings in, and given the light we prob should not have batted in the bottom of the 5th. 

The other team had a travel ball pitcher throw the first 3 innings (which is the max), she only gave up one hit, but she did walk in a few runs.  It was fun to watch her play, but lol @ some of the smaller and new-to-10u girls on our team that wanted nothing to do with with her. 

My daughter had a great game overall: at the plate she walked twice (including working a walk after fouling 2 off against the travel pitcher), and hit the only fly ball to the out field.  In the field she started at 1b (which as a lefty, she loves) pitched an inning; faced 4 girls, and struck out 3 (it was the bottom of their line up, but still, she was throwing strikes) and she caught 3 innings.  I was proud of her catching, she caught a girl stealing at 2nd - which is rare in our league, but I was most impressed with her hustle when catching our less experienced (and wild) pitchers.  If there was a past ball she ran for it every time, even if there were no runners on base. Atta girl.

Anyway, she has had a tough time with being a pre-teen recently, had a bad practice, attitude-wise, last time out, and did not want to go to the game last night... but when I finally got in the car with her after closing concessions and raking the entire field myself :hot:  she told me that she had fun last night.  That is the best thing about softball to me. 

Just thought I'd share. ;)  

Anyway, she has had a tough time with being a pre-teen recently, had a bad practice, attitude-wise, last time out, and did not want to go to the game last night... but when I finally got in the car with her after closing concessions and raking the entire field myself :hot:  she told me that she had fun last night.  That is the best thing about softball to me. 

Your kid is 10?

NICE!!!!!.... I'm trying to teach mine about Attitude.... lol. She's in the middle age for her league and I tell her not to mope around and show the younger girls that ####

I also try to pump her up with the Carrie Underwood CHAMPION song on our way to the game and in the parking lot...lol

She pitched practice last night to our team and while I thought that was a good idea at 1st, I think she throws half speed to our own team and it's hard to replicate Game energy.. 

I told her afterwards, Tomorrow night you gotta let it Fly - It's hard to throw that motion half speed and they come in as floaters if you do....

I kinda hope the game is called tonight and we can go throw then prep for Saturday better weather....

Coach is starting her now, off the game 1 performance which she didn't like - Told her - it's awesome, get it over with, Be warmed up to start the game and as her PC says, it's probably harder to Hit in the cold.

Wanna let her stretch and warm up at home pre-game.....

BTW - just checked the league Official Rules and I can see now why ppl might have questioned her pitching.

3. The pitcher’s foot must be in contact with the pitching rubber until the release of the ball

:loco:  Is this a real thing>??????

Same rule is stated for Majors...

The guy who runs the league is the guy who recommended the PC..... Why waste all that time and money if you can't even pitch like that for another 4 years till they are 14?????

From what I believe I learned, a big part of Pitching is the resistance cause when the lead foot touches the ground on release of the ball. If you release the ball with a foot on the rubber, it negates the whole thing?

Is this my 1st glimpse into my "Why Travel Ball"????  

BTW - just checked the league Official Rules and I can see now why ppl might have questioned her pitching.

3. The pitcher’s foot must be in contact with the pitching rubber until the release of the ball

The guy who runs the league is the guy who recommended the PC..... Why waste all that time and money if you can't even pitch like that for another 4 years till they are 14?????

From what I believe I learned, a big part of Pitching is the resistance cause when the lead foot touches the ground on release of the ball. If you release the ball with a foot on the rubber, it negates the whole thing?

That seems wrong.  The back foot must stay in contact with the ground (no crow hop) but it would be near impossible to stay in contact with the rubber until the release of the ball.  It would take away all momentum and drive for the pitch.

We were able to sneak in our first game of the spring last night... which was nice because games were snowed out the night before and are looking to be rained out tonight. We got 5 innings in, and given the light we prob should not have batted in the bottom of the 5th. 

The other team had a travel ball pitcher throw the first 3 innings (which is the max), she only gave up one hit, but she did walk in a few runs.  It was fun to watch her play, but lol @ some of the smaller and new-to-10u girls on our team that wanted nothing to do with with her. 

My daughter had a great game overall: at the plate she walked twice (including working a walk after fouling 2 off against the travel pitcher), and hit the only fly ball to the out field.  In the field she started at 1b (which as a lefty, she loves) pitched an inning; faced 4 girls, and struck out 3 (it was the bottom of their line up, but still, she was throwing strikes) and she caught 3 innings.  I was proud of her catching, she caught a girl stealing at 2nd - which is rare in our league, but I was most impressed with her hustle when catching our less experienced (and wild) pitchers.  If there was a past ball she ran for it every time, even if there were no runners on base. Atta girl.

Thats all that matters.  Whatever level you play at in the end if you aren't having fun its not worth it.  Sure some days they wish they weren't out there working as hard as they do but in the end they have a blast.  Thats the one argument I hear from rec parents.  "Why don't you let them just be kids and have fun."   It makes my skin crawl. Just because they may be working harder and playing a "different level" doesn't mean they aren't having fun.   Obviously as they get older its going to be more "work" but by that time you have to think they love the game

Yeah that may be ok for rec league.  Buts thats not real. As gally said1foot has to be touching the ground at all times.  Hence the "drag" of the back foot.   Both feet "have to be in contact" with the rubber at the start of the delivery*.  Most pitchers are probably "releasing" the ball 3-6 feet in front of the rubber. 

for reference

http://img.spokeo.com/public/900-600/jennie_finch_2006_08_28.jpg

*This rule is a little more lenient pending on the association and level of play. As long as girls aren't taking a baseball start and close enough its never mentioned.

Thats all that matters.  Whatever level you play at in the end if you aren't having fun its not worth it.  Sure some days they wish they weren't out there working as hard as they do but in the end they have a blast.  Thats the one argument I hear from rec parents.  "Why don't you let them just be kids and have fun."   It makes my skin crawl. Just because they may be working harder and playing a "different level" doesn't mean they aren't having fun.   Obviously as they get older its going to be more "work" but by that time you have to think they love the game

Even just in our Rec league (so far)..... IMO, her working all winter to learn how to pitch then deal with the pressure on the mound. I'm not sure there's many better "Life Teaching moment" at this stage...

I relate it to everything else she does and how you have to work at everything to be good at it - Including Dreaded MATH !!!!!

It also makes her so proud to be good at something and wear the uniform - She brought the uniform to school today to get dressed before I pick her up - She doesn't have to, we'll have plenty of time but I wasn't going to argue, she wants to walk around school with that uniform.... For a normally shy kid - the whole thing is pretty cool.

Reaper said:
Even just in our Rec league (so far)..... IMO, her working all winter to learn how to pitch then deal with the pressure on the mound. I'm not sure there's many better "Life Teaching moment" at this stage...

I relate it to everything else she does and how you have to work at everything to be good at it - Including Dreaded MATH !!!!!

It also makes her so proud to be good at something and wear the uniform - She brought the uniform to school today to get dressed before I pick her up - She doesn't have to, we'll have plenty of time but I wasn't going to argue, she wants to walk around school with that uniform.... For a normally shy kid - the whole thing is pretty cool.
Yeah after reading my post it didn't come off the way I intended. You can work hard at any level you play

My point was whatever level you end up playing it still needs to be fun at certain ages.  I just have a pet peeve with some rec parents that think you left rec and town travel - so you must be "torturing" your kid and they are miserable. 

Yeah after reading my post it didn't come off the way I intended. You can work hard at any level you play

My point was whatever level you end up playing it still needs to be fun at certain ages.  I just have a pet peeve with some rec parents that think you left rec and town travel - so you must be "torturing" your kid and they are miserable. 

I Got it, And for me, it hits home being new to this.... Exactly a year ago today I was like WTF??????  About Travel Ball and why you would put kids thru that....

Now I'm looking to sign up!!!!

Not having gone thru it tho, I will say the stories of almost every day practice for 2-3 hours sounds a bit intense for a 10yo but, 1 step at a time..

So far... ALL fun (until we see them try to enforce this foot to rubber "rule")

Hot Diggity Dog said:
I seriously would want to hear stories about talking to school ball coaches that were successful.  Not sarcasm.  I had 2 conversations with DD1's HS coach.  Heard many stories from other parents.  And for the next 6-8 years parked my chair down the foul line.  I'm clearly biased.  I don't recall ever going to a travel or club ball coach.  IME club coaches call mandatory parent meetings and say exactly what's going on, and will have candid conversations.  

I seriously would want to hear stories about talking to school ball coaches that were successful.  Not sarcasm.  I had 2 conversations with DD1's HS coach.  Heard many stories from other parents.  And for the next 6-8 years parked my chair down the foul line.  I'm clearly biased.  I don't recall ever going to a travel or club ball coach.  IME club coaches call mandatory parent meetings and say exactly what's going on, and will have candid conversations.  
Yep - I had my kid say her peace and thats the end of it.   Although the coach kind of blew her off, instead of being honest.

We are confused by the thought process :)

Users who are viewing this thread