What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any Fastpitch Dads/Coaches here (1 Viewer)

My daughter and team is a hot mess hitting now actually our whole team did not play to their potential this past weekend.  The yo-yo play is frustrating

I guess, every Playoff Game, every Tourney, every League gets bigger from here on out...

HUUUUUUUUUUUGE    Game tonight though....LOL, I'm so nervous.....

Wild thing is gonna start it off...... We're all just hoping for the best, letting her go out there 1st and keep her going as long as she can...

My Girl ready to Come in next - the later the better!!!!!!

Feel like It's the World Series game 7!!!!!

Not much to report on my end. Team is 9-3 in league play and 12-5 overall. Kind of a sad year IMO. Us coaches dont really care for our team. Dont mistake me, the girls are great kids, but many of them seem like they'd prefer to be somewhere else. In fact, some of these girls qualified for nationals with their 12u team last year and didnt even go.  :confused:

Pitching, my daughter is 6-3 on the year..including a 2-1 loss.  :X

I guess, every Playoff Game, every Tourney, every League gets bigger from here on out...

HUUUUUUUUUUUGE    Game tonight though....LOL, I'm so nervous.....

Wild thing is gonna start it off...... We're all just hoping for the best, letting her go out there 1st and keep her going as long as she can...

My Girl ready to Come in next - the later the better!!!!!!

Feel like It's the World Series game 7!!!!!

SOUL CRUSHING - DEVASTATING - LOSS

Uggghhhh, I slept like hell..

Wild thing was same as always - Gave up like 9 runs, my girl couldn't find the plate, hit 3 girls, 5 runs

Just sucks to lose because you walk in runs and the opponent does squat other than stand there, especially when it's your girl on the mound...

Why the hell would anyone want to pitch.........lol - Talking to an older college coach - "It's a grind every step of the way"

The Work one needs to put in to pitch..... I'm going to check with my girl and make sure she wants this because man, you can field grounders every couple of days and be a great fielder - Pitching is like a whole other game, like 1000x harder than anything else.

I'm sure the league would hate it cuz not many kids pitch but, Pitching just Sucks. When I hear / See Dads with Younger girls talking about pitching I tell them "DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  I mean, Wild Thing is one thing - She pitches 50mph as a young kid mostly naturally - Once she fine tunes that and moves up to Taller girls with bigger strike zone I think she'll be a College Pitcher - But, I mean, normal little girls asking to pitch..... Just DON'T..;p;

Oh well, These Williamsport practices are gonna kick her butt and hopefully she's not as CRUSHED as I get when you get knocked out like that.

Tried to make it a Learning opportunity..  But.... Uggghhhh

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as my daughter in pretty sure middle school as screwed up her hitting she is 2-9 in her last 10 at bats. A walk, 2 singles and 7k.

She has struck more times already this spring then she did all of last year and fall combined.

Makes me hurt to see her struggling this bad all of a sudden :(
I know you already know this but it's softball/baseball.  You can't be on fire all the time.  It's a slump.  The more you press the worse it gets.  Work on fundamentals and mechanics of the swing and eventually a hot streak comes back.  Small sample sizes always tend to inflate or deflate confidence.  Have her remember it's a long hall of a season/career.  There will be ups and downs. 

Tournament #2 different days same script as Tourney #1. Killed it on Saturday, 3-0 in pool play, played great across the board. Three total errors in 3 pool play games. Secured the #3 seed and played a team we beat 7-3 in pool play on Sunday morning. Sunday game we made 7 errors and lost 11-3. Not sure what it is, they are tight or unfocused or what. :shrug: Hopefully they can get over these Sunday yips in their next tournament(which is an overnight and should be a lot of fun for them).  

On a separate note regarding how switching from town to club affects hitting. My daughter is killing the ball, not the usual adjustment period we saw in the past. This was her first year of high school ball so she saw good pitching most of the season, I'm assuming this is the difference. 

So question for you more experienced guys.

We have a team that is all second year 12U.

So next year we would be a first year 14U.

After next season.  Most of the girls will be freshman.   We have had interest in some girls joining the team next year as second year 14U.

Has anyone played 1 year of 14U then jumped to 16U?   is it really big?  I've heard mixed things.

We're trying to figure out if having a few older girls will be an asset or not 2 years from now....  The goal is to try to keep the team together.

I know this is is a long time from now.   well - technically its 14 months from now

After next season.  Most of the girls will be freshman.   We have had interest in some girls joining the team next year as second year 14U.

Has anyone played 1 year of 14U then jumped to 16U?   is it really big?  I've heard mixed things.

We're trying to figure out if having a few older girls will be an asset or not 2 years from now....  The goal is to try to keep the team together.

I know this is is a long time from now.   well - technically its 14 months from now
Not sure on your question and maybe a slight highjack but...

Why does softball and baseball primarily combine 2 years?  It really throws our baseball off.  My boys are on a 9U and 11U teams and primarily play against mostly 10U and 12U teams with the exception of some tourneys.  Games are not competitive.  THen next year they flip to the more experienced side of things and the games flip the other way.  Why is it not more like basket ball where it is one age/grade at a time?

Why does softball and baseball primarily combine 2 years?  It really throws our baseball off.  My boys are on a 9U and 11U teams and primarily play against mostly 10U and 12U teams with the exception of some tourneys.  Games are not competitive.  THen next year they flip to the more experienced side of things and the games flip the other way.  Why is it not more like basket ball where it is one age/grade at a time?
Baseball in my area is based on 1 yr increments.  There are 9U, 10U, 11U, 12U, etc......There are always teams at each level at every tournament we play at.  I haven't seen only two year jumps. 

For trying to keep a team together I would maybe mix in one or two older players if  you need the numbers.  If you don't need the numbers then I would try and keep them all the same age.   If you are just talking about an individual player then it really depends on their skill level on whether then can jump up to the next age group.  From my experience (my daughter played travel for the last few years and just graduated high school) there seems to be quite a step up from 14U to 16U.  In our area we had hard times finding games at times for 14U because there weren't many teams in our general area so tournaments were scattered.  Probably depends on the area.  I think she was playing silver level (middle level) and that may have had something to do with it as well. 

My daughter was hit in her JV game last week. She didn't flinch or move at all and the Ump wouldn't let her take her base. She didn't know that she had to attempt to move or she wouldn't get the base. She's been hit a bunch over the years but this has never happened before. Her coach and team got a big kick out of it. She hit a double after the fact so no harm done. 
High school JV?  If you're an NFHS state, there's no rule mandating trying to avoid HBP as long as the ball is completely in the batter's box.  

Finished up with the 10U All-Star Game.... Girl got to pitch to all bigger better kids and did well... 3 straight Ks even for 1 a 1-2-3 inning.

My final analysis after 4 months learning to windmill with Pitching coach then 1 Spring Season......

IT'S @#T*&@*#&%$*%@#  CRAZY..... WHY WOULD ANYONE PITCH?????!!!!!!

It's BRUTAL!!!!!!!L.... We talked to college pitchers... IT NEVER GETS BETTER ------ The entire existence of a Softball pitcher is Brutal Disaster any given Day... and often

OH GOD!!!!  I seriously might not survive it.

When I see Dads with young kids thinking of it  I Say................ DON"T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean, Unless your kid is some bigger, POWERFUL kid that naturally throws GAS..

Oh BTW Wild thing Smashed some kid in the helmet, then 2 more kids before being pulled in the All Star Game....

Still, She's the one that should work it and just may make it.... But, the Mom is losing her mind right now.

Oh Well... On to Williamsport then another ####load of pitching lesson $$$$$..... LOL  

CANT WAIT!

Finished up with the 10U All-Star Game.... Girl got to pitch to all bigger better kids and did well... 3 straight Ks even for 1 a 1-2-3 inning.

My final analysis after 4 months learning to windmill with Pitching coach then 1 Spring Season......

IT'S @#T*&@*#&%$*%@#  CRAZY..... WHY WOULD ANYONE PITCH?????!!!!!!

It's BRUTAL!!!!!!!L.... We talked to college pitchers... IT NEVER GETS BETTER ------ The entire existence of a Softball pitcher is Brutal Disaster any given Day... and often

OH GOD!!!!  I seriously might not survive it.

When I see Dads with young kids thinking of it  I Say................ DON"T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean, Unless your kid is some bigger, POWERFUL kid that naturally throws GAS..

Oh BTW Wild thing Smashed some kid in the helmet, then 2 more kids before being pulled in the All Star Game....

Still, She's the one that should work it and just may make it.... But, the Mom is losing her mind right now.

Oh Well... On to Williamsport then another ####load of pitching lesson $$$$$..... LOL  

CANT WAIT!
oh but the glory of the perfect game!?

Yep, was not aware of that
Yeah, it's one of those rules that varies by rules set.  I think ASA still requires trying to avoid, the FED and NCAA don't.  They just can't be trying to get hit.  Evidently your coach isn't aware of it either.  

For trying to keep a team together I would maybe mix in one or two older players if  you need the numbers.  If you don't need the numbers then I would try and keep them all the same age.   If you are just talking about an individual player then it really depends on their skill level on whether then can jump up to the next age group.  From my experience (my daughter played travel for the last few years and just graduated high school) there seems to be quite a step up from 14U to 16U.  In our area we had hard times finding games at times for 14U because there weren't many teams in our general area so tournaments were scattered.  Probably depends on the area.  I think she was playing silver level (middle level) and that may have had something to do with it as well. 
We have plenty of 14U.

My question was this.   Starting in September we will be a first year 14U.  Our initial thought was to pick up a couple older girls.  So we would have 2 or 3 (second year 14U) and the rest be our first year team.  After we play 1 whole season we were going to take the same team and jump to 16U.  So we don't lose the older kids.  However, I've heard mixed things and that it may be a big jump.   But most of the kids will be freshman by that point.   

I was just curious if anyone else played out that way.

We have plenty of 14U.

My question was this.   Starting in September we will be a first year 14U.  Our initial thought was to pick up a couple older girls.  So we would have 2 or 3 (second year 14U) and the rest be our first year team.  After we play 1 whole season we were going to take the same team and jump to 16U.  So we don't lose the older kids.  However, I've heard mixed things and they may be a big jump.   But most of the kids will be freshman by that point.   

I was just curious if anyone else played out that way.
what level do you intend to play at?  If your area is like ours 16 and 14 B aren't really that different. Only at the a level do you start to see big changes and 16 a level pitching can be much better than even 14a.

what level do you intend to play at?  If your area is like ours 16 and 14 B aren't really that different. Only at the a level do you start to see big changes and 16 a level pitching can be much better than even 14a.
We will start as a 14B with goals of reaching 14A - same for 16

belljr said:
We will start as a 14B with goals of reaching 14A - same for 16
I think with it is different with girls, after they reach 13 or 14 they can compete with girls 2 or 3 years older than they are.  I  wouldn't recruit older girls just to have older girls on the team.  Talented and athletic players are what you want,  even if you have to coach them up.

It is the week of the Sparkler sound Denver.  Older daughter played in an all star game this morning, younger daughter plays in her all star game this afternoon.  Games going on all week so I won't be able to see all the games. It will be fun to see teams from all over the country though. 

Pretty good HOT WEEKEND this past weekend.  We lost to one team on Saturday 8-0 and the girls had like 13Ks.

It was a smaller tournament and we had a couple tough games.  Ended up in the finals against the team that beats us 8-0 the day before.

They started a different pitcher and we hit her early. Got up 1-0 with tons of chances. Girl came in from above and we hit her but were not scoring.

We got down 4-1.  Then 5-2.  Chipped away and scored the tying run in the Top of the 7th.  The third out was made on a play at home for the go ahead run. Girl threw a strike from the outfield.

We hold and go into extras (ITB).   We score our girl and couldn't muster anything else.  Our best pitcher has been out resting her ankle and was not scheduled to play at all.  Came in the bottom of the 8th.  (Our #2 struggled a little but gutted out 14 innings yesterday in 100degree heat.) She did have a close to 2 hour break in between. 

The other team scored on a fluky ball back to the pitcher that tipped off her glove and rolled to no mans land.   We hold them to 1.

Top of the 9th - we bunt our girl to 3rd.   We bunt the next 2 batters and reach 1st on fielders indifference.

Bases load outfield error scores 2.  And now this is when all hell breaks loose.  Runners on 1st and second.   Single to the outfield girl on second is slow - coach sends her home.

She realizes correctly that hey I'm going to be out by 20 feet. She stops a charges back to third. As she is doing that the girl that was originally on first is ripping around second and sliding into third. And to top that all off the girl that hit the single has somehow started to round second.   (I'm SCREAMING BACK BACK BACK BACK WHAT ARE YOU DOING :lmao:  )

The catcher sees the girl that was trying to score runnign back to 3rd.  She fires one down.  Girl running back from home is out easily but the ball tips off the girls glove and rolls into the outfield away from the LF backing up.

So now we have 2 girls racing home to score.  The girls that hit the single and was halfway to 3rd finally realizes OH #### we have 1 NO 2 runners there - she starts to retreat and ends up in a rundown because by the time she figure out what was going on the LF picked it up and got her out.  It was HILARIOUS chaos. That worked out in our favor by accident.

In the end we scored 8 runs that inning.

We held them the last inning for the win.  We head to nationals next week and realistically probably can't win it but we want to have a decent showing.

***Personal note

Daughter is starting to struggle a little pitching in games (shes never going to be a stud) . But her hitting is coming around real well.  AH the ebbs and flows of softball

We are also hating this time of year.  We are having tryouts but we love all the parents on our team and not one has complained.  We may lose one of our better players because they want to go to a "better" team.  There are only a couple in the area.  And while I think shes a really good player shes not as good as her parents think she is.  They are great overall though and shes a good kid. The dad is pretty realistic - I think its the mom that doesnt "get it completely"   She asked why we didn't pick certain kids in tryouts and we told her - they were lazy in tryouts. And she was like "oh, I didnt know that" (she basically acts like she knows whats going on when she doesn't)  Especially with a couple of our lower kids.  But the kid has great hear and attitude.  I'll sacrifice being "THE best team around"  for a pretty good team with great kids and parents any day of the week

Anyway we could probably pick up a couple better players but they won't have better parents or attitudes than what we have already.  We are just trying to do whats best but its going to suck one way or the other.  Because in the end - we need to protect our team

We are also hating this time of year.  We are having tryouts but we love all the parents on our team and not one has complained.  We may lose one of our better players because they want to go to a "better" team.  There are only a couple in the area.  And while I think shes a really good player shes not as good as her parents think she is.  They are great overall though and shes a good kid. The dad is pretty realistic - I think its the mom that doesnt "get it completely"   She asked why we didn't pick certain kids in tryouts and we told her - they were lazy in tryouts. And she was like "oh, I didnt know that" (she basically acts like she knows whats going on when she doesn't)  Especially with a couple of our lower kids.  But the kid has great hear and attitude.  I'll sacrifice being "THE best team around"  for a pretty good team with great kids and parents any day of the week

Anyway we could probably pick up a couple better players but they won't have better parents or attitudes than what we have already.  We are just trying to do whats best but its going to suck one way or the other.  Because in the end - we need to protect our team
This all day every day.  You will never know how miserable a season can be (even while winning) when you have terrible attitudes and worse parents. 

Well just got back from Nationals and overall a good experience.  We didn't play our best ball and wished we did a little better but we made it to Saturday and lost to a team we just can't figure out.  We always play them evenly but feel like we are better ... just one of those things :shrug:   

Our "highlight" was losing to the eventual Champion 2-1 in extra innings - more about this in a second.

We now start 14U and it appears we may be losing one of our better players.  We thought it would be to an older team but she is going to a different 14U team.  Not sure why because in my opinion they are not going to gain much more than maybe having a little better team overall.  We went 58-19-1 this year.   Now granted in USSSA A level ball we did only go 13-12-1.  But that is neither here nor there.  So maybe that is some of it.  She has been with us 4 3.5 years now and is one of the original kids so we are a bit taken back by it tbh.

Our second pitcher also is not sure if she wants to comeback so that is also a bit of a shock.

So it looks like we need tryouts......   This sucks I hate this. I feel better keeping our team and just all going up. SUre we aren't the best* but they are all great kids AND more importantly PARENTS. *And I think thats why the one wants to leave.  They have some chirping she should be playing at a higher level.  And tbh shes a good player and really powerful hitter but is up and down fielder.  Some days shes lights out others she struggles.  Anyway I personally feel they are getting bad advice but thats just me.

Now onto some personal/team highlights from the weekend.

We went 2-1 pool play.  Lost to a good team - we lost 10-0 is 7 innings but the game was somehow closer.  We would have runners on base very inning and they would score 1 or 2 an inning. Was just weird

Next day - Bottom of the 7th.  Tie score 5-5. Relief pitcher in.  Little belljr takes the first pitch and hits a walkoff tripler/homer in the bottom of the 7th.  to win 6-5.   She hit one in the right center gap.  Rolling in for the triple throw bounces away from 3B and she scrambles home to beat the throw in!#!#!#!@

Now the GAME of the tournament.  Not just for us but one of the best games of the whole tournament (based on scores) in general.  This team has a pitcher that throws absolute GAS.  I'm talking mid to high 50's.  NOT exaggeration.    Anyway first time through we DO nothing - but they don't either.  Our Ace was also on fire.  We gave up 1 run on a couple errors.

Bottom of the next inning - little belljr - has a 14 PITCH at bat.  Ends with a hard ground ball to right.  Where the RF boots it. She makes it to third.

2 batters later 3b bobbles a ball. Little belljr score TIED game.

We are duking it out back and forth all game.  I think we struck out like 15 times the other team 10.   

We manage to end 7 innings tied at 1-1.   There are 4 fields in the complex spread out.   By the time the game was ending there were people from all over watching. It was pretty cool.

So ITB top of the 8th.  Bunt - girl to 3rd. Out at first.   second batter strikeout.  Third batter. Dribbler to second.  Second basemen picks it up routine throw to first. ITS LOW AND AWAY FROM THE 1B. SHE DROPS IT OMG OMG :cry:      run scores  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,   Next batter is out.

Bottom of 8. First girls bunts.  Running to first.  Gets hit in the head.  DEEMED to be in fair territory.  DEAD BALL BATTER OUT... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  BS call.  SHe probably was BUT STILL.

Next girl K.

2outs little belljr up again.   2-2 count.  Hits a shot to right center OMG OMG we're going to tie it.   Right fielder makes a great play on a full run at the last second to catch it.  6 inches and its a double.  :cry: :cry: :cry:

our pitchers WHIP .18   there was .34

We barely squeeze by the next team (who we should have beat handily) - emotionally spent at that time. 

Next day - losing 4-2 to that team I said above.  somehow we are hitting the ball all over the place but right at people.  We had a bad inning giving up 4.

Top of the 7th.  1st and 2nd - 2outs. Little belljr is up again. She was 3-3 on the day.   CAN IT HAPPEN AGAIN?#!#?!@?   Smashes a ground ball to SS who had all day to throw girl out at 3rd GAME and SEASON over :cry:

Personal note 2: I think the switch finally clicked batting for my daughter.  She has been up and down all year but has looked great the last 3 weeks. Hopefully it continues.

Anyway - I hate this time of year :)

My goodness, what a joke:

2018 STATE TOURNAMENTS

We are hoping to post state tournament sites and teams on Tuesday. If you want to host contact us quickly.

We start this weekend! 

Daughters team is chugging along, 4 tournaments and they are 9-6-2. They finally got over the hump and won a Sunday game in their last tournament. Lost in the semi's but it was a solid weekend for them with limited mistakes. In the semi game they lost the other team bunted them to death and they panicked(overthrows etc.). Was a good learning experience and a very easy area to clean up going forward. Only 3 more tournaments left and my daughter is taking a trip with her sister so she is missing the next one. Will be over before we know it.

She has a decision to make for next year. Her High School coach has a club team and asked her to play for him, she's moving up to U16. She loves her current team, coach and the players get along great. We're leaving it up to her, will be interesting to see which way she goes.

End of our season came last week.  Older daughter is starting to practice with the high school team.  Yes Colorado does high school softball in the fall.  Her comp team has stayed together with all the girls returning and they added one who will, hopefully, be a good ss.  Position which is probably weakest on the team.  So nice not to have to worry about try outs for at least one of the girls.  first time in 6 years we haven't changed teams.  Boo Yah!

Youngest daughter had to go thru tryouts.  Sucks so much.  Had two offers right out of the gate from 14u teams, without having to go to try outs, one is an established team the other a new team.  But we could not see either if them being A level teams.  Much harder to say no to these guys because some of the coaches on one team are parents of kids on the older daughters team, and the other team is in the organization my older daughter plays for and the younger daughters pitching coach runs that same organization.   ?.  Awkward telling nice people I don't feel your good enough to coach my daughter.  But we had left our original team this season three-quarters of the way through to get away from Daddy ball, favoritism, and bad coaching Etc. So we were essentially all in on finding an a-level team for the younger daughter. And that's when the drama started.

So the team We join for the last quarter of the season was one of the top 14a teams in the state. She got a lot of pitching time against 16 + 14 a teams and got to play first base some. Helped a lot to get her confidence up. So that team was joining a National Organization and was supposedly staying together and moving up to 16a. The coach felt our daughter wasn't ready for 16a and that she should stay down in 14a and join another team in the organization. So he makes a call and recommendation and that was the first try out we went to. That ended up a very badly, essentially a ####show with one of the coaches trying to change my daughter's grip on several of her pitches during the tryout. So of course she did not do well, she was not happy, I was not happy, and the coach seemed thoroughly unimpressed. So I texted the coach of the team moving up to 16a and let him know things didn't go well. Did not get any response from him. So we decide to go to more tryouts. Next one was for a 14a team also in a National Organization although a different one. Head coach is one of the most respected coaches in Colorado for sure. Minor celebrity because of her daughters accomplishments in division 1. She says she has one spot for a pitcher on her team. Go to the tryout and youngest daughter kills the tryout. The coach asks her what pitch are you throwing if you need a strike.   Daughter says screwball and nailes it for a strike inside corner of the plate.  I can tell the coach wants her on the team. ? But we have to wait two days for her to call us back. So we go to the next tryout which is for the team that is part of the organization that my daughter's pitching coach runs. They advertise for 14a players and the players that show up are all B and C Level. And not enough of them show up to even make a team if you wanted to make a team. So that's not an option despite the coach wanting us to keep the team in mind because he is having another tryout. ? Final tryout of the week is for a local organization that has only a couple teams but are serious, no parent coaches, lots of travel, coaches also work as paid coaches for individual hitting and pitching. They have an 18a team and a 16a team that will practice together.  So my daughter was trying out for the 16a team. Go through the tryout she pitches decently. I feel like there's some decent competition with other pitchers there and you never know what coaches are looking for. During that tryout I got a call from the wife, the famous coach from the 14a team called her and told her she really liked our daughter but after the tryout we went to she found out that a girl on her team that she thought was staying down in twelves had decided to continue up with the team and she no longer needs a pitcher.   And so we went to that tryout just for the fun of it. Funny side note daughters pitching coach knows that coach and supposedly called her up and gave her #### about going soft for not taking the best athlete.  But in any event i am super bummed.  So get off the phone daughter comes running towards me with sheet of paper in her hand and the 16a team wants her to join. Smiles and congratulations all around.  ?

Final drama coach of the team we played with for the last quarter of the season answers my text.  I did not respond immediately because I was at a church function,  so he texts my daughter and asks if she made a team.  Long and short of it sounds like he lost his star pitcher that had to move up to 16s but kept the majority of the team which could all stay in 14s.  Now his team is going to be 14a.  But he drove away all his other pitchers because he thought he would have his star and could move up to 16s.  Guessing the national organization put the kibosh on that idea and moved the star pitcher up to an existing 16a team for them, or the pitcher asked for it herself.  Now he is desperately searching for a level pitching.  Sorry dude committed already to a serious team, tons closer in driving time.  Finally the team in that same national organization with the coach that was trying to change my daughters grips,  called to let us now he heard she went to another team and he was "taking her off his list".  Hate to tell you dude, but she was never on it. 

So setting up for next year, I have two daughters playing in 16a.  If their teams meet....

Well, we played on Saturday and played terribly, earning Sunday off. 

The odd play of the day:

We are tied in the bottom of the last inning. They get the first two batters on and after a pass ball, have runners on second and third with no one out. I inform the umpire that we'd like to walk the next hitter. She tells me that you can't do that at this age and the pitches must be thrown. After trying to tell my catcher what to do, the confused look on her face forces me to make a mound visit to explain the situation. Ball 1, cool. Ball 2, cool. Ball 3 is apparently pitched a little too close to the hitter, who hits it out to left field. I think the runner on third was caught off guard and takes off for the plate upon contact. We easily double her up at third base. So instead of the bases loaded and no outs, they have two outs and a runner on second. We get the third out and go on to lose in 9 innings. 

To this point I have been happy that my daughter has not expressed interest in travel ball, but we've had a couple teams reach out to us this summer.  One is a brand new 12U b-team that will focus on 11 year olds moving up next season.  My daughter and the coach's daughter were on the same fall-ball team last year, and they did the same camp this summer - so they know each other a bit.  The coach is offering her a spot on the team without a try out.  I am starting to think it would be nice to her to commit to something for a year to see how it goes, it could be a great chance for her to make some friends (something she has issues with at times) and learn more about the game.  But damn, I am really don't want to travel for softball... our rec league travels enough.  Speaking of the rec league... I am so sour on them right now after spending 6+ seasons on the board - they are making bad decisions for no other reason than to make things easier for them (they are going to lose 14u this Fall as a result). I dunno really know where I am going with this, but just felt like sharing. 

OK.. BACK AT IT.....

Been Pitching at 2x a week since the end of Williamsport.... Back with the coach.

She wants to try out for Travel tonight - We'll do it for the experience but, I can't be Travelling more than 30 miles LOL  (Save this post)

Fall ball starts up in 3 weeks.... I'm happy she's still at 10U for 1 more year... A good year to really determine if you wanna be a pitcher IMO, Although pitching to 3rd graders and that strike zone might be frustrating....

CHEERS!!!!!

But damn, I am really don't want to travel for softball...

LOL... I really don't know how ppl do it.... I mean, I only get a few vacations where I'd like to actually vacation.

Buddy of mine just did a Tourney down south and says it cost him almost 5k.... Hotels, Food, Gas, entertainment etc....WTF!!!!! That's more than my vacations!!!

He also Pays a large sum for the Travel Team... IDK, Maybe 4k.....??   Sheesh...

LOL... I really don't know how ppl do it.... I mean, I only get a few vacations where I'd like to actually vacation.

Buddy of mine just did a Tourney down south and says it cost him almost 5k.... Hotels, Food, Gas, entertainment etc....WTF!!!!! That's more than my vacations!!!

He also Pays a large sum for the Travel Team... IDK, Maybe 4k.....??   Sheesh...
And here is what people don't understand.  Especially in my area.   There is literally Zero benefit travelling across the country at under 14 years old.  One trip away - sure its fun. Even most kids at 18U in our area aren't going to go to insert big time D1 school here 

Why? Especially with the new rule. D1 college coaches can't contact athletes until Junior year now.   There is no money in scholarships unless you are super elite.  Sure you can get some money but you're not getting a free ride anywhere.  Even around here the handful that "made it" some sat the bench the entire time.  I was talking with one girl who played in college and she doesn't understand it either. She is like why are you going to spend 12K a year under the age of 14 when you could just put that money towards college. Yes you will get some money but very few will be getting full rides.   YMMV based on area.

Our best hitter left us for this reason.  They don't travel that far but they are in a bigger program now.  We do have a hole in our lineup now.  She was also our SS.  We are going to be a 13U team but may struggle a little.   All told we probably spend ~2K for our team fees/uniforms/hotels/gas etc

Tourney season over, Daughter had a lot of fun. She started off hitting the ball really well first 3 tournaments then went into a 2 tourney slump after missing one for a school related trip. Found her stroke again in the last tourney so she was happy to finish on a high note at the plate. The team was very competitive and wound up finishing above .500, nice to see clean competitive games almost the whole way through. 

She committed to come back to the same team for a 3rd year. We are very happy with the program but were kind of hoping she would switch to the local team that is run by her high school coach(much less travel time for practices). She likes the current club coaches, teammates and off season program so she's sticking with it. Her HS coach is a great guy and encourages girls to stick with other programs if they are happy there(few of her HS teammates are in the same program). I've heard of coaches holding grudges if players don't play for their program so we are lucky there. I suppose it's a nice break to get different coaching after the High School season grind, as long as it's good coaching. We are skipping Fall and Winter ball this year, only doing club off season workouts. She's looking forward to Volleyball in the fall and Basketball in winter. 

And here is what people don't understand.  Especially in my area.   There is literally Zero benefit travelling across the country at under 14 years old.  One trip away - sure its fun. Even most kids at 18U in our area aren't going to go to insert big time D1 school here 

Why? Especially with the new rule. D1 college coaches can't contact athletes until Junior year now.   There is no money in scholarships unless you are super elite.  Sure you can get some money but you're not getting a free ride anywhere.  Even around here the handful that "made it" some sat the bench the entire time.  I was talking with one girl who played in college and she doesn't understand it either. She is like why are you going to spend 12K a year under the age of 14 when you could just put that money towards college. Yes you will get some money but very few will be getting full rides.   YMMV based on area.

Our best hitter left us for this reason.  They don't travel that far but they are in a bigger program now.  We do have a hole in our lineup now.  She was also our SS.  We are going to be a 13U team but may struggle a little.   All told we probably spend ~2K for our team fees/uniforms/hotels/gas etc

Yup - Our Coach last year said it "If you just save all that money from Coaching and Travel..... you pretty much can set up your own scholarship....lol

Yup - Our Coach last year said it "If you just save all that money from Coaching and Travel..... you pretty much can set up your own scholarship....lol
Don't get me wrong. I enjoy playing the more competitive  teams and such. And I am willing to pay for some of that for the development of my daughter.  There is no way I could still be in rec or our town travel league.  I'm giving my daughter the best opportunity to grow in the game and maximize her potential.  Whether she ends up playing highschool and college. HS only.  neither thats fine.   But she says she wants to try to play in college so I am giving her the best opportunity to do that without breaking the bank...if that makes sense.  In a couple more years if shes still progressing, then I may consider moving to a more travelling expensive team.  

Also to add - I love travel. The kids are great friends and its competitive and fun.  But like I said we don't drive more than an hour, except for 2 tournaments a year.

Again - YMMV based on area.

My 16U team finished the year with a 29-11-2 record... Not too shabby.

Up to 18U now for most of the team, I picked up two new girls and am sitting currently with 8 girls, picking and choosing the last 2 soon.

Off season??  What off season??  Tryouts continue tonight.. lol

This is my buddy's daughter exactly.  Started playing 18U with one of the better area organizations when she was 15.  They traveled all over the West for 4 years.  I would guess they spent at least $10k a year on two school teacher's salaries.  I thought he was crazy, but he would always tell me she was going to get a scholarship out of it.  And he was right, she did get a D1 scholarship.  I think it was all the way up to like $1000 a semester or something by the time she was a senior.  

My daughter played 16U in the same organization for a year.  They were an okay team but it's not like they were just steamrolling everyone in our area, so we thought it was pretty dumb that they were bypassing tournaments 1-2 hours away to go 6 or 8 or 10 hours away.  Luckily she thought it was pretty dumb too and didn't want to play the next year.  We were nothing but happy about that.  

We did it because our daughter loved it. 

They're only young once
Yes - I am all in on OUR club team.   And its great fun but we aren't breaking the bank either.   Are we expensive to alternatives (town ball etc ) absolutely but compared to other club teams we are dirt cheap.  The guy that runs our organization always tells us - you want to get a ton of kids at tryouts - tell everyone you are going to charge 4k for the year.

People eat that up.   Even his showcase team he is one of the cheaper ones around, why?  He doesn't go to michigan, colorado, california every other weekend. 

Daughter has tryouts tonight for next year’s club team. We were in a travel league for the past 5-6 years, but our organization stops after 14u. This team is very good and she likely won’t make either of their two teams at 16u. While it doesn’t guarantee you a spot, you have to figure one full team is probably returning players. The varsity coach at the high school said they typically get 50-60 girls trying out for the 24 spots. 

I think even trying out is good for kids. No pressure for her imo, just pitch as well as you can and let the chips fall where they may. 

This is my buddy's daughter exactly.  Started playing 18U with one of the better area organizations when she was 15.  They traveled all over the West for 4 years.  I would guess they spent at least $10k a year on two school teacher's salaries.  I thought he was crazy, but he would always tell me she was going to get a scholarship out of it.  And he was right, she did get a D1 scholarship.  I think it was all the way up to like $1000 a semester or something by the time she was a senior.  

My daughter played 16U in the same organization for a year.  They were an okay team but it's not like they were just steamrolling everyone in our area, so we thought it was pretty dumb that they were bypassing tournaments 1-2 hours away to go 6 or 8 or 10 hours away.  Luckily she thought it was pretty dumb too and didn't want to play the next year.  We were nothing but happy about that.  
I have seen kids get half tuition paid for and full tuition paid for.   Room and board were not.

I was offered a full ride to play at a DII school but that was 30 years ago :vomit:   Its not the same any more.  I don't do it for the "college scholarship" . I do it because we love it.

And as mentioned above we try to be realistic with our girls/parents especially at age 13 and even at age 18 

My daughter would like to play in college. Her goal is to get $ via academics and play for a D3 school. I think that is realistic coming from the North East. Chances of $ from D1 are pretty slim coming from here, D2 $ still fairly slim IMO. 

My daughter would like to play in college. Her goal is to get $ via academics and play for a D3 school. I think that is realistic coming from the North East. Chances of $ from D1 are pretty slim coming from here, D2 $ still fairly slim IMO. 
D3 will also give you "academic" money if you are playing.  They can't offer athletic scholarships

D3 will also give you "academic" money if you are playing.  They can't offer athletic scholarships
Right, we have been visiting schools with my oldest daughter and some of the Merit scholarships alone at d3 schools are 10K+ a year if your GPA is 3.5 or above. That's more than a lot of athletic scholarships. Playing a sport can definitely help you, the more well rounded the better. 

How on earth can I help my daughter break in her catchers mitt?  3 years of on and off use (and random beatings by her little brother and I) have not done a thing.  She has a pitcher on her 12u team that brings the heat, so I would love to see her use it.  Nokona TNCMFP for what it's worth... I am thinking that it is just the glove and that maybe we should give up on it.  It's hard to find moderately priced catcher mitts for a lefty though.  

How on earth can I help my daughter break in her catchers mitt?  3 years of on and off use (and random beatings by her little brother and I) have not done a thing.  She has a pitcher on her 12u team that brings the heat, so I would love to see her use it.  Nokona TNCMFP for what it's worth... I am thinking that it is just the glove and that maybe we should give up on it.  It's hard to find moderately priced catcher mitts for a lefty though.  
My son is a lefty.  

E-bay or a gently used glove may be your best bet.  It stinks new lefty gloves can be 3x more than the same righty gloves.  Many coaches think a lefty playing anything other than P, OF or 1B is taboo so gently used lefty catchers mits can be found.  Saw a nice one for about $30 at our local “Play It Again” sporting goods store.  

Nokoma’s usually break in better than most.  

My son is a lefty.  

E-bay or a gently used glove may be your best bet.  It stinks new lefty gloves can be 3x more than the same righty gloves.  Many coaches think a lefty playing anything other than P, OF or 1B is taboo so gently used lefty catchers mits can be found.  Saw a nice one for about $30 at our local “Play It Again” sporting goods store.  

Nokoma’s usually break in better than most.  
I am actually texting with one of her past coaches right now, he suggested eBay as well.

Epitome of "DADDY BALL"...... I'm the Manager / HC of my daughter's 10u team.. lol

I did it mostly so I can get a lot of her friends on 1 team..... I did it for the Draft!!!!!

Also still fun at this level to teach the young one's!!!!! 

So, here we go... FALL BALL.... She's also doing Travel Ball for the 1st time.

Going to get a lot of pitching in this year...

Users who are viewing this thread