What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best beach areas near Tampa (2 Viewers)

A beach expert I am not.  I ran a race once on Siesta Key beach and there were potholes and seaweed everywhere.  Never been to Lido.  Cappy and others would probably be more familiar.
West Central Florida beaches seaweed is more of a function of wind than location.  There is very limited grass nearshore these areas unless blown in from way offshore.  If one has a bunch the others probably will be as well....

West Central Florida beaches seaweed is more of a function of wind than location.  There is very limited grass nearshore these areas unless blown in from way offshore.  If one has a bunch the others probably will be as well....
Does this mean they have sea weed typically, or no?

Does this mean they have sea weed typically, or no?
Some yes, but I rarely have thought it to be substantial enough to change my decision on whether or not to go to the beach.  Google image search whichever beach you are interested in going to for examples.  Sample:

https://www.google.com/search?q=lido+beach&safe=off&rlz=1CAASUA_enUS712US712&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJoLPMxdvZAhVPY6wKHUIjDdEQ_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=941

If shelling is interesting to you, Sanibel Island further to the south is your best bet:

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&rlz=1CAASUA_enUS712US712&biw=1920&bih=941&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=6I2gWrK6Ko7asQXk2bVw&q=sanibel+beach&oq=sanibel+beach&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0j0i67k1j0l8.61392.65363.0.65572.13.8.0.5.5.0.116.750.7j1.8.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.13.790....0.g41jtxjwEfo

Last edited by a moderator:
I just stayed here in September & highly recommend it, 

Lido Beach Resort

https/goo.gl/maps/SVFTgDQgrsQ2

I believe the same owners have the new hotel on Treasure Island, that I also stayed at, and is also very nice.  TI is like a football field away from.the water though. Clearwater is to crazy, stay away from there.  It's just too crowded.

The beaches are all pretty similar, but the ones South of the bay are more pristine.

The sand in Siesta Key is like baby powder. It can be 100 degrees out (and if you're here between May and September it will be) and the sand stays cool on your feet. Over on my side, you had better have nerve damage or sandals to walk in the beach mid-day in summer. 

There is almost always a little seaweed, but not like a lake.  It's usually just floating patches or something.  If there is a storm somewhere in the gulf it tends to kick up more.

Book Lido for sure.  St. Armand's is a really nice evening outting for the family.  Blows away anything in Pinellas, unless you consider standing outside the candy kitchen on Gulf Blvd a good time.  John's Pass is nice though.

Sanibel/Captiva is a favorite.
With kids 6 and 10, they will love the shells at Sanibel.  It's a cool little island.  Rent a bike, go to the mini movie theater. 

Shark move:  Go into the shell shops and buy some really polished high quality shells.  Walk in front of the kids and "drop" them in front of them while they aren't looking (they will be looking down not at you).  They will glow with pride finding such quality shells.  Save them with a little sand in a mason jar and make a memory for the kids.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&rlz=1CAASUA_enUS712US712&biw=1920&bih=941&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=SJCgWoGhCcOAtgWPwrfACg&q=sand+shells+mason+jar&oq=sand+shells+mason+jar&gs_l=psy-ab.3...56690.56690.0.57031.1.1.0.0.0.0.86.86.1.1.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.SKdEzkbQoLM

There is almost always a little seaweed, but not like a lake.  It's usually just floating patches or something.  If there is a storm somewhere in the gulf it tends to kick up more.

Book Lido for sure.  St. Armand's is a really nice evening outting for the family.  Blows away anything in Pinellas, unless you consider standing outside the candy kitchen on Gulf Blvd a good time.  John's Pass is nice though.
Do they still have that bar at John's Pass with all the license plates on the walls? Holy #### did I get hammered there. Try to contain your amazement. 

Do they still have that bar at John's Pass with all the license plates on the walls? Holy #### did I get hammered there. Try to contain your amazement. 
Not sure, there was the Hut, then the one underneath with the pool tables.  There is a beer place in there somewhere now as well.  Also a Hooters & Bubba Gump shrimp.

Not sure, there was the Hut, then the one underneath with the pool tables.  There is a beer place in there somewhere now as well.  Also a Hooters & Bubba Gump shrimp.
I want to say it was called Bamboo, but I might be confusing it with Seaside Heights, NJ. If it is Bamboo, it's VERY different from the one in Seaside. :lol:

http://www.tampabay.com/floridas-best-beaches/2018/02/20/insiders-guide-to-honeymoon-island-the-beach-scene-beach-access-the-caladesi-island-ferry/

This is a good read. Avoid Clearwater beach — traffic will make you homicidal. Bradenton traffic is worse than aids. Madeira is super nice and laid back — seems like an old timey beach area. 

Treasure island is right next to Madeira. Basically the same thing. Stay at the thunderbird if you want to know what people in the 60s thought a hotel in the 90s would be like. Plenty of fresh fish and seafood places everywhere. 
I stayed at the Thunderbird back in the early 90s. It was fun. I remember Treasure Island beach was really wide and the water was calm. We had a great time. We rented a boat one day. It seems like the rental place was across the street or very near the hotel. This is an odd memory, but there was a grocery store down the road (probably a Publix), and they were selling freshly made fried chicken, and it was so good. 

I stayed at the Thunderbird back in the early 90s. It was fun. I remember Treasure Island beach was really wide and the water was calm. We had a great time. We rented a boat one day. It seems like the rental place was across the street or very near the hotel. This is an odd memory, but there was a grocery store down the road (probably a Publix), and they were selling freshly made fried chicken, and it was so good. 
Publix fried chicken is solid. I don't know where they get their chickens from, I find that the pieces are consistently almost double the size of KFC/Popeyes. Those have to be some mutant chickens. 

There's a bar off the beach in (I believe) Sarasota that's a quasi-tiki bar. They serve Mai Tais that have so much booze in them that they will only allow you to order two in a single visit. I managed to talk the bartender into giving me a third because I'm a a smooth son of a b#### that can handle his booze. This was before dinner. 

Wife and I went back after dinner and it looked like the NYE party in "New Jack City." I think I was the only white person there, but it was tough to tell with the dim lighting and the 63,219 cigarettes burning simultaneously. At least 50% of the other bar patrons looked like they were strapped. 

The bartender recognized me from earlier and shot me an unmistakable "this is not your crowd" look. So, I sat down and had two more Mai Tais. I told the guy next to me that I was on my fifth of the day, hoping to earn his respect as a hell-raiser myself. He seemed about as impressed as he would have been if I had told him I had cut my own meat at dinner. 

I tried chatting with a couple of other dudes, but they looked at me with the same disdain with which I imagine they look at that stubborn turd fragment that refuses to go down after 3 flushes. Reluctantly, I paid my tab and left. 

I have no idea what this place is called. Ring any bells to anyone? 

Publix fried chicken is solid. I don't know where they get their chickens from, I find that the pieces are consistently almost double the size of KFC/Popeyes. Those have to be some mutant chickens. 
The highlight was it was very crispy.  You just mentioned Sarasota, and my cousin has a catering business there, and is also a bartender at the Art Ovation Hotel.

A beach expert I am not.  I ran a race once on Siesta Key beach and there were potholes and seaweed everywhere.  Never been to Lido.  Cappy and others would probably be more familiar.
Lido is nice but I prefer the St Pete/treasure island/Madeira trio. Only been out to lido a few times though — not a lot of reason for us to drive that far. 

Publix fried chicken is really good but it ain’t #### compared to Popeyes. 
Nothing is. Popeye's is the best. I grabbed a two piece a few weeks back around 2 AM after a spirited night of partying and it was even better than usual. I wanted to #### it, it was so good. But I didn't, I just ate it instead. 

Nothing is. Popeye's is the best. I grabbed a two piece a few weeks back around 2 AM after a spirited night of partying and it was even better than usual. I wanted to #### it, it was so good. But I didn't, I just ate it instead. 
:lmao:  

my 40th was a few weeks ago. My wife had a surprise party for me and had 125 pieces of popeyes there. It was amazing.  

I have been to many of the places mentioned but this past year we went to Anna Maria Island for the first time. It was by far our favorite beach area we have ever been to in Florida. It is a little more laid back and rustic compared to other beach areas, very few high rises. The beach at Siesta Key may be just a slight touch nicer but the entire Anna Maria Island area vibe and atmosphere is tough to beat.

What really sets it apart in my mind is there are a lot of restaurants/bars right on the ocean with your toes in the sand while your eating and drinking. There is a trolley that runs over the entire island for free = no drinking and driving. Across the bridge is Cortez, a fishing village with really great fresh seafood restaurants and markets for take home. 

Google the following and check out the pictures and reviews:

Beach House Restaurant 

Sandbar Restaurant

Beach Cafe

Rod n Reel Pier

Bridge Street Tender

Starfish in Cortez

I have been to many of the places mentioned but this past year we went to Anna Maria Island for the first time. It was by far our favorite beach area we have ever been to in Florida. It is a little more laid back and rustic compared to other beach areas, very few high rises. The beach at Siesta Key may be just a slight touch nicer but the entire Anna Maria Island area vibe and atmosphere is tough to beat.

What really sets it apart in my mind is there are a lot of restaurants/bars right on the ocean with your toes in the sand while your eating and drinking. There is a trolley that runs over the entire island for free = no drinking and driving. Across the bridge is Cortez, a fishing village with really great fresh seafood restaurants and markets for take home. 

Beach House Restaurant 

Sandbar Restaurant

Beach Cafe

Rod n Reel Pier

Bridge Street Tender

Starfish in Cortez
My family had a beach house out there when I was younger a few blocks away from the Sandbar Restaurant.  I agree, it's one of the nicer more laid back beaches.  I would recommend the place more for snow birds or week long stays, to get absorbed into the island life.  Ideal place to go to the beach & bike around the island. Not a whole lot else going on.  I still lean Lido because St Armands Square is a great tourist spot.  

Beach House Restaurant 

Sandbar Restaurant

Beach Cafe

Rod n Reel Pier

Bridge Street Tender

Starfish in Cortez
I mentioned Anna Maria Island on the first page, and I'm happy to see your write up. We used to stay at the Castnetter.  An odd memory from there is one night we went to a restaurant/bar (can't remember the name), and there was a band playing. I remember slow dancing with some cute guy to the song "The Wind Cries Mary."  :lol:

There's a bar off the beach in (I believe) Sarasota that's a quasi-tiki bar. They serve Mai Tais that have so much booze in them that they will only allow you to order two in a single visit. I managed to talk the bartender into giving me a third because I'm a a smooth son of a b#### that can handle his booze. This was before dinner. 

Wife and I went back after dinner and it looked like the NYE party in "New Jack City." I think I was the only white person there, but it was tough to tell with the dim lighting and the 63,219 cigarettes burning simultaneously. At least 50% of the other bar patrons looked like they were strapped. 

The bartender recognized me from earlier and shot me an unmistakable "this is not your crowd" look. So, I sat down and had two more Mai Tais. I told the guy next to me that I was on my fifth of the day, hoping to earn his respect as a hell-raiser myself. He seemed about as impressed as he would have been if I had told him I had cut my own meat at dinner. 

I tried chatting with a couple of other dudes, but they looked at me with the same disdain with which I imagine they look at that stubborn turd fragment that refuses to go down after 3 flushes. Reluctantly, I paid my tab and left. 

I have no idea what this place is called. Ring any bells to anyone? 
I found it !!  The Bahi Hut.  You should check this place out.  Found it on Yelp after googling "Sarasota" + "Mai Tai."  This yelp review (4*) made me chuckle..

Mai tai at the 'Hut will cause your evening to spiral out of control.  People there are weird, mainly hookers getting off work or pimps waiting on their money.  Staff is great.  Drinks are awesome.  Must see visit in the SRQ

El Floppo said:
:loco:

Now the wife is talking about St Pete. Same as Clearwater, right?
When are you going? I can't speak to much of the area but every other year my company has a conference at the Sirata on St Pete Beach, right next to Treasure Island. It's always been first week of May. The weather has been decent and it hasn't ever been too chaotic. Plenty of food/bar options.

Edit - the resort itself isn't anything fancy. But I guess they did pump some money into remodeling so I'm curious to see what it looks like this year.

Bahi Hut, Bahi Hut yeah, yeah, yeah!

I will definitely stop in my next trek down that way. I found this on critiki.com:

"It seems like the crowd there and the staff don't understand that they are in a tiki Bar...and an old Florida landmark establishment that has been there for ages. The music choice was completely wrong, the thick cloud of cigarette smoke that hung in the air was not so great, and the "Mai Tai" was Hawaiian punch and gasoline...but still somehow it hooked me. Staff is very friendly, crowd is a mixed bag..."

Sounds like a winner!

Bahi Hut, Bahi Hut yeah, yeah, yeah!

I will definitely stop in my next trek down that way. I found this on critiki.com:

"It seems like the crowd there and the staff don't understand that they are in a tiki Bar...and an old Florida landmark establishment that has been there for ages. The music choice was completely wrong, the thick cloud of cigarette smoke that hung in the air was not so great, and the "Mai Tai" was Hawaiian punch and gasoline...but still somehow it hooked me. Staff is very friendly, crowd is a mixed bag..."

Sounds like a winner!
Try to get served 5 Mai tais in 5 hours. Report back... 

If you are up to driving a few hours look at Sanibel / Captiva.  We stay at South Seas and rent a golf cart.  It’s a 12 hour drive for us with a 3&6 year old but it’s the only vacation I have gone on where I completely forget about work.

We dialed it in.

Flying into Cancun and staying nowhere near Tampa.

But this has been immensely helpful, and hopefully the next person looking to visit van use all this top notch info for their trip or where to find pimps... thanks a ton!

We dialed it in.

Flying into Cancun and staying nowhere near Tampa.

But this has been immensely helpful, and hopefully the next person looking to visit van use all this top notch info for their trip or where to find pimps... thanks a ton!
Maybe consider Playa del Carmen?  I hear it's nice  :P

Maybe consider Playa del Carmen?  I hear it's nice  :P
My wife was awesome finding fares and options, but it was a bit :loco: as everything pointed to west FL until the last second.

Looking at Holbox or Isla Mujeres. We usually go to Cozumel when we go down there, but don't want to get blowed up.

Users who are viewing this thread