What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best beach areas near Tampa (1 Viewer)

My wife was awesome finding fares and options, but it was a bit :loco: as everything pointed to west FL until the last second.

Looking at Holbox or Isla Mujeres. We usually go to Cozumel when we go down there, but don't want to get blowed up.
 Yeah we chickened out and skipped  booking our trip to Riviera Maya and going to Punta cana instead.

I'm pretty sure your record will be intact. I may have one and depending on who my next door barstool neighbor is proceed cautiously down the yellow rum road.
I want someone to go for 6. It would be worth the (FBG) record falling to see what comes out of someone's keyboard after 6 Kool Aid & Gasolines. :lol:

We dialed it in.

Flying into Cancun and staying nowhere near Tampa.

But this has been immensely helpful, and hopefully the next person looking to visit van use all this top notch info for their trip or where to find pimps... thanks a ton!
Dude, there is a pending wall going up over there.

Not to get too far off track but we were in Cabo on election nite for our last day there after my niece's wedding.

We were in Cabo Surf Hotel and opted for room service that nite so we could see the election results roll in.

The room service waiter showed up in our room and saw what we were watching on the tube.

He smiled broadly and said, "Go Trump."

I was surprised that was his team to root for and said, "are you sure you want Trump? I'm not sure he likes Mexicans too much."

He just smiled broadly again and raised both his hands palms up like he was asking a question, "Clintttooooooon?"

The next morning we hustled to the airport before it was too late to get back...

Resurrecting this thread because we're planning a similar trip in mid-April. We're flying into Ft Lauderdale but open to the Gulf side. We don't want Orlando or any of the that experience. My son is going to be 9 and we're just interested in relaxing. We've got a car for a week. We want surf, sand and family fun. Maybe head to Cape Canaveral for a NASA adventure. Are the beaches on the Gulf side - Marco, Sanibel etc - much better than Atlantic side?

Resurrecting this thread because we're planning a similar trip in mid-April. We're flying into Ft Lauderdale but open to the Gulf side. We don't want Orlando or any of the that experience. My son is going to be 9 and we're just interested in relaxing. We've got a car for a week. We want surf, sand and family fun. Maybe head to Cape Canaveral for a NASA adventure. Are the beaches on the Gulf side - Marco, Sanibel etc - much better than Atlantic side?
Definitely.

If you make it over to Cape Canaveral be sure to visit the Haulover canal Manatee observation deck.  You can do both in the same day it only a few minutes away from The Kennedy Space center.  If you want to get an idea what Florida beaches use to be like visit Canaveral National Seashore while your over that way.  

The beaches are nicer but the surf is better on the Atlantic side. Kinda non-existent on the Gulf.

Poking my nose in here for some last minute advice. Mrs Simsarge and I are heading to Tampa (Riverside actually) for a wedding MLK Saturday. We're ditching the kids, flying in early Friday, paying our respects for the new couple on Saturday and heading for home Sunday afternoon.

We'd want to stay someplace "on the beach" and still stay less than an hour-ish from Riverside or the airport. 

It should be noted that I don't fall into the Otis tax bracket

TIA

Oh and @Capella

Last edited by a moderator:
Poking my nose in here for some last minute advice. Mrs Simsarge and I are heading to Tampa (Riverside actually) for a wedding MLK Saturday. We're ditching the kids, flying in early Friday, paying our respects for the new couple on Saturday and heading for home Sunday afternoon.

We'd want to stay someplace "on the beach" and still stay less than an hour-ish from Riverside or the airport. 

It should be noted that I don't fall into the Otis tax bracket

TIA

Oh and @Capella
Riverside?  Riverview?

"View". Sorry 
If you want a little more laid back, Little Harbor Resort in Ruskin is nice and close to Riverview, but it’s bayside.  It won’t break the bank.  Most places on the Gulf are within an hour of the airport and/or Riverview assuming no traffic issues, but on weekends your chances are way better.  I live in Riverview so let me know if you have any questions about the area.

Not familiar with rivierview much except they used to have an awesome high school football team. Sorry. Nice weather here right now though. 

Osaurus said:
If you want a little more laid back, Little Harbor Resort in Ruskin is nice and close to Riverview, but it’s bayside.  It won’t break the bank.  Most places on the Gulf are within an hour of the airport and/or Riverview assuming no traffic issues, but on weekends your chances are way better.  I live in Riverview so let me know if you have any questions about the area.
The Mrs has a friend that stated at the Sandpearl in Clearwater and gushed about it. After that seed was planted, everything else I showed her was missing a this or that that the Pearl has. So I ended up booking there. I'm usually a cheapo when it comes to these thing, but considering all that I've put her through over the years and she still hangs around, I figured I should pony up for one. I fiinished in the money in a couple leagues this year, so I'm not really out too much.

The Mrs has a friend that stated at the Sandpearl in Clearwater and gushed about it. After that seed was planted, everything else I showed her was missing a this or that that the Pearl has. So I ended up booking there. I'm usually a cheapo when it comes to these thing, but considering all that I've put her through over the years and she still hangs around, I figured I should pony up for one. I fiinished in the money in a couple leagues this year, so I'm not really out too much.
That works.  Nice place. 👍🏻

Next door to Frenchy's Rock-A-Way...get the Grouper sandwich (any flavor) and the She-crab soup.  SP also has an outdoor eating area but it's worth leaving to go next door.  They also have live bands on Thu/Fri/Sat nights.  Breakfast at Clear Sky...recommend the lobster benedict and a bloody.

Having an awesome day biking and chilling on Sanibel Island. 
One of my favorite places.  I first kayaked at Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge.  Gonna try and make it back down there this “winter”

Next door to Frenchy's Rock-A-Way...get the Grouper sandwich (any flavor) and the She-crab soup.  SP also has an outdoor eating area but it's worth leaving to go next door.  They also have live bands on Thu/Fri/Sat nights.  Breakfast at Clear Sky...recommend the lobster benedict and a bloody.
+1 for Frenchy's. I hit the one in Dunedin every time I'm down there.

How are the beaches? 
The beaches were very nice.  Sanibel is known for their shelling so people that are expecting sandy beaches with not a single shell around will be disappointed.

Water temp was a little cool in the upper 60s and the air temp was right around 80.

Us North East yokels picture shelling as tripping over giant conch shells aplenty. Is this the case on Sanibel? 

Sandpearl is great, nice choice.

Just found out we're taking a family trip down to Siesta Key the first week of April.  Will be my wife and I, our boys (12, 10) her sister and her boys (13, 11) and their parents.  We've never been there, care to give any advice for restaurants, bars, activities?  Worth renting bikes down there?  Thanks!

We got back from a week on Saturday. 4 days in Sanibel were nice enough. Good, relaxed, and easy access to beaches. I liked that it wasn't really built up at all. I think I prefer Captiva side of the area because of it's better beaches. Down to Marco Island for a day on a boat for dolphin watching, etc. Good time doing that even if I wasn't enamored of the community around there. Finished up the week with a few days up in north Ft Lauderdale. Good  restaurants and a nice change with all the scene there. Fantastic weather the whole trip.

Users who are viewing this thread