saintfool

MFL - Position Updates 3/6

55 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Yep Lawson back to LB sucks but those of you in leagues that aren’t deep, here’s a nugget on the ww -

Jordan Willis - DL -  Bengals

Second-year DE Jordan Willis is expected to take over as the Bengals' "every-down" right end.

Willis won Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year as a senior before being picked in the third round of last year's draft. He played 360 snaps as a rookie, receiving strong marks from Pro Football Focus for his run defense, and Willis tested extremely well athletically before the draft. Veteran RE Michael Johnson is expected to move to a backup role, while Cincy also used a third-rounder on DE Sam Hubbard this year. 2017 fourth-rounder Carl Lawson will be in the mix, too.

And for the person that asked about Markus golden, if he puts up the numbers this year as a defense end that he put up at outside linebacker in 2016 he’ll be a top 10 DE...Key isn’t doing that. 

And my first deep dyno nugget of the year. One of if not both of Najee Goode and Anthony Walker will be 3 down LB’s for the colts. They have every intention of keeping one of the worst graded LB’s in Morrison off the field this year, there’s even a chance he doesn’t make the team. I’ll post links later tonight. These aren’t my opinions, they are beat writers opinions and observations 

Edit - 

http://www.indianasportscoverage.com/first-look-at-the-colts-new-linebacker-corps/

Linebacker: 6

The Colts decide to go away from the Antonio Morrison experiment by allowing the young, recently acquired talent through the draft to get the snaps and work towards building a foundation for the future. Goode will be expected to be the experience of the unit in the middle, Walker will earn himself the SAM role and Leonard takes the WILL while George, Adams and Franklin give some exciting depth at each position going forward.

Najee Goode

Anthony Walker

Darius Leonard

Zaire Franklin

Matthew Adams

Jeremiah George

Missed Out: Antonio Morrison, Tyrell Adams, William Ossai, Skai Moore

Edited by Robar
2 people like this

6 hours ago, massraider said:

Kicking around the Rotoworld depth charts:

Carl Lawson at LB, that change is happening. Bummer.

Nwosu at LB for Chargers.  Bummer.

Mack and Key at DE.  

2 hours ago, Robar said:

Yep Lawson back to LB sucks but those of you in leagues that aren’t deep, here’s a nugget on the ww -

Jordan Willis - DL -  Bengals

Second-year DE Jordan Willis is expected to take over as the Bengals' "every-down" right end.

Willis won Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year as a senior before being picked in the third round of last year's draft. He played 360 snaps as a rookie, receiving strong marks from Pro Football Focus for his run defense, and Willis tested extremely well athletically before the draft. Veteran RE Michael Johnson is expected to move to a backup role, while Cincy also used a third-rounder on DE Sam Hubbard this year. 2017 fourth-rounder Carl Lawson will be in the mix, too.

Does Rotoworld have a contest with another site to try to be first?  They seem a bit knee jerk with changes and hours later make a contradictory post that the guy they just moved to LB will "in the mix at DE"

Really?  Everything about Lawson so far this year is that he is a DE.  But Roto wants him to be a LB?

Posted (edited)

The following player position changes will be made on Friday, June 8th, to bring our player database up-to-date with the Rotoworld.com depth charts:

ATL: Terrell McClain from DE to DT

CIN: Carl Lawson from DE to LB

HOU: Treston Decoud from CB to S

IND: John Simon from LB to DE

IND: Denico Autry from DE to DT

IND: Rakeem Nunez-Roches from DE to DT

LAC: Uchenna Nwosu from DE to LB

NYJ: Nathan Shepherd from DT to DE

NYJ: Foley Fatukasi from DE to DT

OAK: Khalil Mack from LB to DE

OAK: Bruce Irvin from LB to DE

OAK: Arden Key from LB to DE

OAK: James Cowser from LB to DE

OAK: P.J. Hall from DE to DT

OAK: Mario Edwards from DE to DT

OAK: Eddie Vanderdoes from DE to DT

SF : Tarvarius Moore from S to CB

Edited by drewd_21
2 people like this

I am sad I missed the Khaili Mack ride, no one was biting on offers.

1 person likes this

I have Mario Edwards in my league where we have 1 DT starter required- happy right now.

The Carl Lawson ride is frustrating.

3 people like this

On 6/9/2018 at 9:20 AM, scothawk said:

I have Mario Edwards in my league where we have 1 DT starter required- happy right now.

He's not on my radar right now. He was so disappointing last year, and the Raiders have bodies for a deep rotation. I hope I am wrong.

1 person likes this

On 6/9/2018 at 8:21 AM, scothawk said:

The Carl Lawson ride is frustrating.

It's like the movie War Games - the only way to win.......is not to play the game.

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, massraider said:

He's not on my radar right now. He was so disappointing last year, and the Raiders have bodies for a deep rotation. I hope I am wrong.

At DE he was getting into droppable territory. At DT I am going to hold in DT required leagues.

12 hours ago, massraider said:

He's a better NFL player than fantasy guy but in DT leagues he could be sneaky.  He's not gonna get a lot of sacks but if he plays enough snaps as an edge-setter before reducing inside he might accumulate enough tackles to be a viable DT starter.  In my league DE36 (Zettel) averaged 7.1 PPG which would be DT12 with the favorable designation.

On 6/8/2018 at 0:52 PM, Hankmoody said:

I am sad I missed the Khaili Mack ride, no one was biting on offers.

Thoughts on Irvin?  Might he be able to get 35+ solos and 10 sacks playing opposite?

2 hours ago, matttyl said:

Thoughts on Irvin?  Might he be able to get 35+ solos and 10 sacks playing opposite?

I don't know enough about Gunther's version of the 4-3 but he's got a ton going against him in any event.  Irvin's experience playing SAM in the Gus version may make him more valuable in that role so I don't know how much he'll truly be playing down and if he'll keep the designation.  I also think Arden Key will be a stud if he's able to stay clean and he'll cap Irvin in any regard.  The 3-8 sacks Key gets keep Irvin from double digits and therefore starting viability.  I'm not interested, I want DL with more upside than that.  35/5 guys are all over the waiver wire.

Posted (edited)

Irvin has been playing RDE during the OTAs

https://twitter.com/FB_FilmAnalysis/status/1006648019431772160

Guess we could see Mack playing on the strong side in their "new" 4-3, I would guess they won't want Irvin to set the edge on the strong side, but rather have him in more pure pass rush situations on the weak side.

I would say he is a nice add as a DE3 or DE4 in non tackle heavy leagues. It's not like there is a ton of depth at DE in leagues where you have to start 2. He had a nice production at LB the last 2 seasons, if he can even reproduce 75% of that production at DE it makes him a DE2 in 12 teams leagues.

And here is the DC speaking about Irvin as DE in a press conference:

https://www.raiders.com/video/bruce-irvin-comfortable-in-new-role-along-the-defensive-line

Really under the radar right now

Edited by tonato

Posted (edited)

On 5/26/2018 at 4:29 PM, Shane Falco said:

Does Rotoworld have a contest with another site to try to be first?  They seem a bit knee jerk with changes and hours later make a contradictory post that the guy they just moved to LB will "in the mix at DE"

Really?  Everything about Lawson so far this year is that he is a DE.  But Roto wants him to be a LB?

They do these knee jerk reactions in the spring, that seem pointless.  I tweeted the Rotoworld guy about it.  His reasoning for the Raiders moves was that these players went to a 3-4 team, and until they showed they would be a 4-3 defense, it made more sense to put Key at LB, and Hall/Hurst at DE.  In a 3-4, those positions would make more sense for those particular players.  Frankly, that doesn't fly. 

• The Raiders being a true 3-4 the last few years is news to me.  They had elements of it, like Mack and Irvin dropping into coverage.  But this was nothing like a 3-4 defense.  They had ZERO players on their team that were 3-4 DE types, 5 techniques.  Mario Edwards could potentially fill that role, but he DIDN'T actually play that role.  The Raiders had two DEs that can play LB, that does NOT mean a team is running a 3-4.  They ALWAYS had two DTs on the field, and they were lined up as a 1 and 3 tech.  It looked like a 4-3 most of the time.  But what do I know, I only watched every snap of preseason and regular season. 
  •  He also made the statement that Hall played NT in college, so that fit with a 3-4 scheme.  That is such a weak ####### argument, I cannot believe he made it.  Every DT in college at some point, lines up as a NT.  Hall is 6', 300 lbs.  This is not Vince Wilfork.  He's not a 3-4 NT, and this guy knows that.  Also, I don't really know if it's true, because  I never saw Sam Houston State, which I am sure I have in common with the guy from Rotoworld.
  •   Hurst/Hall are as classic a 3 Tech size as one can get. They were clearly DTs, and would ONLY be inside penetrators.  
  • Norton came from SEA. 3-4 defense?  No.  Classic 4-3.  
  • Guenther replaced him, from Cincy. 3-4 defense?  No.  Classic 4-3.

There were some rumblings a few years ago about the team being multiple.  Somehow, that gets turned into BreezeIDP rearranging every player to a 3-4 defense.  

And that's just my team.  

Edited by massraider
4 people like this

7 hours ago, massraider said:
  • The Raiders being a true 3-4 the last few years is news to me. 

Exactly.