Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
saintfool

MFL - Position Updates 3/6

3 hours ago, Choke said:

:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Why is that bad?  I am assuming he will be playing essentially the same role as he always has and now you can play him at DT in leagues that require it.  I think it bumps up his value (if that is possible)

6 minutes ago, Gally said:

Why is that bad?  I am assuming he will be playing essentially the same role as he always has and now you can play him at DT in leagues that require it.  I think it bumps up his value (if that is possible)

He is a 3-4 DE.  Not "kinda", it's exactly what he is and how he is used.

Of course it bumps his value, like playing Pat Mahomes at TE.

Edited by Choke

Just now, Choke said:

He is a 3-4 DE.  Not "kinda", it's what he is.

Then why are they changing him to DT?

Just now, Gally said:

Then why are they changing him to DT?

Exactly. They shouldn't be.

As I said earlier, it perhaps a media-attention thing.

Then go draft him early, Choke, and take advantage of the perceived situation. Or.... someone else must already own him. Them the breaks....

3 hours ago, BigAl21 said:

Then go draft him early, Choke, and take advantage of the perceived situation. Or.... someone else must already own him. Them the breaks....

Not the issue.

9 hours ago, uazwildcats said:

Also heard today, Hicks to DT and McCoy to DE....

Colt or Lesean?  That's a huge advantage.  😁

• Laughing 1

On 8/12/2019 at 8:52 PM, Tick said:

@Sigmund Bloom Can we get Clowney and Addison listed as DEs in the FBG database, along with the other recent MFL changes?  Addison is already cross-listed to show up at OLB and DE, but Clowney isn't.

Mario Addison and Bruce Irvin are playing OLB in the Carolina 3-4.  Happening in both the games and their depth chart.

Hopefully these will be properly displayed at fasntasysharks and MFL. Quality control would be appreciated.

*there is still some preseason time for the Panthers to switch things up, however.

Edited by Choke

On 8/15/2019 at 9:27 AM, uazwildcats said:

I know you’re kidding but just to ensure everyone knows I’m not....it’s Gerald McCoy to DE

:thumbup:

McCoy and Short the DEs in Carolina.

18 hours ago, Choke said:

Mario Addison and Bruce Irvin are playing OLB in the Carolina 3-4.  Happening in both the games and their depth chart.

Hopefully these will be properly displayed at fasntasysharks and MFL. Quality control would be appreciated.

*there is still some preseason time for the Panthers to switch things up, however.

In this week's Individual Defensive Podcast, GD said that Brian Burns is playing OLB and Addison is a DE.

Not arguing what's correct, just relaying the information from the guy who sets MFL positions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tick said:

In this week's Individual Defensive Podcast, GD said that Brian Burns is playing OLB and Addison is a DE.

Not arguing what's correct, just relaying the information from the guy who sets MFL positions.

Can you link the podcast?

2 hours ago, Tick said:

Ill watch the game tonight.

A 251 pound DE in the 3-4 is literally going to get broken.

Now they are trying a few different wrinkles in their new "Hollywood" defense. But that almost always goes-by-the-way-side as the OLine figures it out and the OLine still brings the size and strength that dictates much what the defense has to do.  And I havent read that Addison tried to add 25 pounds anywhere. Yet even at 276 he would be massively light in the pants to hold up as a 3-4 end, but at least possible, unlike 251.

1 hour ago, Choke said:

Ill watch the game tonight.

A 251 pound DE in the 3-4 is literally going to get broken.

Now they are trying a few different wrinkles in their new "Hollywood" defense. But that almost always goes-by-the-way-side as the OLine figures it out and the OLine still brings the size and strength that dictates much what the defense has to do.  And I havent read that Addison tried to add 25 pounds anywhere. Yet even at 276 he would be massively light in the pants to hold up as a 3-4 end, but at least possible, unlike 251.

Some other podcast predicted this - I don't recall whether it was Read & React IDP Podcast or IDP Guys' Podcast.  They described a type of front I don't really understand that both the Rams and the Panthers use, and based on Aaron Donald being classified as a DT, the predicted Addison would be a DE... something like one of the OLBs playing essentially as a DE, therefore changing the classification from:

DE-NT-DE-OLB

...to

DE-DT-DT-DE

Again, this isn't anything I'm trying to defend, just mentioning things I head on IDP podcasts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tick said:

Aaron Donald being classified as a DT,

He shouldn't be. Just watch a majority of his snaps.

They sit in a 2-4-5 nickel plenty now, but then Cam Heyward and Stephoin Tuitt and a host of other 3-4 Ends should have been DTs long before now.

Edited by Choke

And I agree its possible for Addison. Why an viewing is needed.

Just as Noah Spence the 1st week was certainly a DE, despite him being 243 lbs and them running a 3-4 also and labeling him the starting ROLB.

But history shows us that these kind of "tricks" don't last. They are a fad and pass and you can almost always see how they fit in the base defense and the frequency at which they are handling responsibilities. Simple concepts that show a light on the situation like a DE has a OLB with more outside edge responsibilities than he does on most plays.  But the OLB does not.

*week 1 Burns (Addison direct back up) was almost pure OLB.

1) The Panthers played a pure 3-4 in preseason game 1 with rookie Brian Burns and former DT turned DE Michael Haynes both playing OLB.

2) They didnt do much of any 4-3 hybrid, except when they are in 2-4-5 nickel, they spend more time with a 3 point stance, instead of standing up, than typical 3-4 OLBs do. Yet they still lined up very wide as a 2-4-5 nickel as a 3-4 does.

Now this weeks pre season game 2 looking at the first drive with the first team defense on the field and getting driven on by the Bills... you only had a 3-4 and a 3-4-nickel (the 2-4-5). Addison is #97 and Bruce Irvin is #55.  Both former lightweight 4-3 DEs.

Play #1: 3-4, Addison ROLB. Irvin LOLB.
https://i.ibb.co/6N6LLnZ/p1.jpg

Play #2: 3-4, Addison LOLB, Irvin ROLB. *Out of the huddle, Addison moves to weak side (non TE) and Irvin moves to strong side (with TE). Once there is offensive motion though, they do not move again. They keep that Left-Right alignment. Addison drops deep into coverage, and handles a zone area as is normal for LBs with a 3--4 zone defense.
https://i.ibb.co/t3RG7D1/P2.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/QJkyBKv/P2b.jpg

Play #3: 2-4-5, Both are 3-point (hand in dirt) wide positioned OLBs.  The DE on Addisons side is lined up straight up with the LT. You can see Irvin is much wider than the RT. This is standard affair for a pass rushing OLB. And the positioning is even more standard for actual DEs for a 3-4 (ex: Heyward and Tuitt in Pit).
https://i.ibb.co/YLVfk59/P3.jpg

Play #4: 3-4, Addison OLB on Weak and Irvin OLB on Strong post huddle.  TE moves motions later. 
https://i.ibb.co/x6RjwWS/P4.jpg

Play #5: 2-4-5, Addison stand up ROLB (way wide) and Irvin 3 point LOLB. Line tilted left
https://i.ibb.co/pKjNgG0/P5.jpg

Play #6: 3-4, the back ups come in on this play and Burns and Thomas assume the OLB roles. #53 Burns directly behind Addison in depth chart. And #98 Haynes.
https://i.ibb.co/7nDc21k/P6.jpg

Play #7: 2-4-5, once again at OLB, but this is the closest that Addison gets to being any type of DE. As the d-lineman on his side kicks way inside does not touch the tackle box whatsoever, a true DT spot for that DL.
https://i.ibb.co/tQhNGjt/P7.jpg

Play#8: 2-4-5, wide OLBs in 3-point stances, and within the red zone.
https://i.ibb.co/j6vfxHJ/P9.jpg

Play #9: 2-4-5, same as above.
https://i.ibb.co/j6vfxHJ/P9.jpg

Play #10: 2-4-5, same as above. Allowed a F.  Inside the 20 they played the same nickel alignment. And that nickel is what most all 3-4s are relying on as their most common/base defense these days. Its a modern trend in the pass heavy game.
https://i.ibb.co/j4BY07h/P10.jpg

The honest-to-Gods-truth through 2 preseason games, is that Addison and Burns (his direct back up) dont sniff a DE spot.  The only thing that is different is their more frequent use of a 3-point stance over guys like Von Miller, James Harrison, Demarcus Ware and Clay Mathews. Obviously they all use a variation of stances to some point, but this proclivity probably has a lot to do with Irvin and Addison being older when they are picking up the trade. This will cause them more initial coverage issues, which is why they seem to stand up when given more direct passing responsibilities. They've never seen the inside of the OTs shoulder yet (big give away).

*The second drive of Carolina defense is exactly the same. More substitutions though.
** The third drive is once again the exact same.

This game, like the last preseason game... shows almost nothing of anything besides a 3-4 defense. Addison and Irvin are OLBs. They play a lot of 3-4-nickle, which a 2-4-5 alignment. There does not appear to be anything fancy or new or "Hollywood" to change the proper designation from being anything other than LB.

Edited by Choke
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tick said:

Send a link to the post to Gary Danielson.

Gary Davenport.  And if someone wants to do that for the sake of quality control, particularly MFL's, thats cool. No idea of his contact info.

On 8/18/2019 at 9:34 PM, northern exposure said:

The old QB for the Lions?

Yeah, maybe he'll bring it up on a CFB broadcast.

With fantasysharks updating today, its obvious they are not watching any of the actual games or practice sessions.  Just reading stat-sheets/play-sheets. 

Kind of feel bad for MFL. They tried, but really need to finally hire someone for in-house to do positional quality control.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Choke said:

With fantasysharks updating today, its obvious they are not watching any of the actual games or practice sessions.  Just reading stat-sheets/play-sheets. 

Kind of feel bad for MFL. They tried, but really need to finally hire someone for in-house to do positional quality control.

I can't find any updates for today.  Do you have a link?

EDIT: https://www.fantasysharks.com/apps/bert/players/depth_chart.php

Edited by Tick
  • Like 1

Whitney Mercilus is playing in Jadeveon Clowneys spot in pre game 2.  Swapping from left to right. Brennan Scarlett coming in for Mercilus on left.

Its purely an OLB spot.  They don't seem to drop into cover much at all though. Nothing has changed except the media coverage of his contract demands.

For absolute accuracy it should not be a DE. That just poor/lazy placement. Otherwise every 3-4 ROLB would be a DE.

Edited by Choke

Here are more positional break downs, that maybe MFL will get a fix/update on...

• Kemoko Turay Ind -- DE
  • Nate Orchard Mia -- DE
  • Rashaan Gary GB -- LB
  • Bronson Kaufusi NYJ -- DE
  • Carl Nassib TB -- DE
  • Jadeveon Clowney Hou -- LB
  • Shilique Calhoun NE -- LB
  • Derek Rivers NE -- LB
  • Chase Winovich NE -- LB
  • Trent Harris NE -- LB (not currently in MFL system)

More than anything MFL needs to add an EDGE positional designation so ff owners can amend their starting positions and get off the DE/OLB swings in value.

Some leagues use DT & DE and some use CB & S...so why not EDGE?  Give leagues the option to use or not use the positional designation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1