Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
bosoxs45

Students threaten to boycott school in order for protesting against gun violence in US

What do you make of the #neveragain movement and the upcoming march in Washington? 

Would you allow your son or daughter to miss school for this event?

12 minutes ago, bosoxs45 said:

What do you make of the #neveragain movement and the upcoming march in Washington? 

Many kids at my son's school are doing a walkout (along with many other schools I think) on March 14. I asked him what else he planned to do, what were the specific goals, and what was the follow up. He is a freshman so of course he didnt have those answers. I told him he couldn't do it unless he could answer those questions since his school is going to consider a walkout an unexcused absence from whatever class time is missed.  

All for it!

We, the people, are the ones who bring about any big changes to our existing system.

Whether it's voting rights, civil rights, ending the Vietnam war, gay marriage, they were all achieved the same way:

Enough people made a fuss that Congress had no choice but to act.

One thing we can probably all agree on is that Congress isn't going to make any big changes out of the goodness of their hearts. We have to force their hand.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Skoo said:

All for it!

We, the people, are the ones who bring about any big changes to our existing system.

Whether it's voting rights, civil rights, ending the Vietnam war, gay marriage, they were all achieved the same way:

One thing we can probably all agree on is that Congress isn't going to make any big changes out of the goodness of their hearts. We have to force their hand.

So you're going to have kids walk out on an education? I don't have a problem with trying to force congress's hands in this, but the difference between this and the instances you mentioned are that those groups already had nothing. They had nothing to lose by doing those marches and were already left behind by much of society. Children walking away from an education doesn't really fit in the same mold.

1 hour ago, bosoxs45 said:

It's on a Saturday.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ShamrockPride said:

So you're going to have kids walk out on an education? I don't have a problem with trying to force congress's hands in this, but the difference between this and the instances you mentioned are that those groups already had nothing. They had nothing to lose by doing those marches and were already left behind by much of society. Children walking away from an education doesn't really fit in the same mold.

They aren't walking away from an education.  They're walking away from schools where they need to be trained not to be murdered, and sometimes it happens anyway.  Except they're doing it on a Saturday, so the whole premise of this thread is wrong.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Skoo said:

All for it!

I would assume that 80-90 percent of the students walking out are doing so because "hey no school" and really don't have any true convictions other than thinking school shootings are bad.  Just as mentioned above a little probing to your kid with regards to their reasons and making them look into the situation and come up with reasons is necessary to really have this mean anything other than "yay no school".

The March 14 walkout is for 17 minutes.  I'm good with 17 minutes of learning about political activism and peaceful protest.

• Like 12

Just now, Gally said:

I would assume that 80-90 percent of the students walking out are doing so because "hey no school" and really don't have any true convictions other than thinking school shootings are bad.  Just as mentioned above a little probing to your kid with regards to their reasons and making them look into the situation and come up with reasons is necessary to really have this mean anything other than "yay no school".

At the middle school to high school level kids are very aware of why they're walking out.   Why do they need any reason other than "thinking school shootings are bad?"

• Like 2

I would encourage mine to redouble her efforts in school and to consider directing her education to law or public advocacy such that she could act to affect change down the road, once she was schooled. If she thought there was value in the walk out, in spite of my encouragements, I would implore her to consider being safe during the activity.  I would insist that she study past movements and in particular when they spun out of control of the well meaning, spurred by those with passion but no intellectual restraint.  I would insist that she understand the warning signs of those who delight in burning things down simply to watch the glow. I would run over some coping techniques with her for identifying and defusing such folks.  I would temper her expectations with realism, and then I would encourage her to go on ahead and change the world since I am obviously too tired and jaded to do so myself.  Then, like most fathers, I would worry. 

• Like 3

Just now, the rover said:

At the middle school to high school level kids are very aware of why they're walking out.   Why do they need any reason other than "thinking school shootings are bad?"

Because that doesn't do anything.  Having convictions and following through with additional means of protest or coming up solutions is what is needed.  School aged kids could really make an impact in lessening these events by being inclusive during school.  Not alienating kids that are different and treating all people with respect.  Reducing bullying and being nice to everyone.  If this happened from an early age the kids that turn into adults with anger issues and a feeling of not being liked will help stem some of these events. 

Just walking out because I get a day off and school shootings are bad and then going back to their usual ways of life won't change anything.

7 minutes ago, ShamrockPride said:

It's not like they're giving up education for life or anything.

Regardless, how else are they supposed to make their voices heard? They can't vote yet.

To me this is like when people complain about protesters in the street blocking traffic.

Yes, it's annoying if you are stuck in said traffic. 

But you're only going to make a difference if you do something to make people stop and pay attention. That's what protests are for.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Regardless, how else are they supposed to make their voices heard? They can't vote yet.

To me this is like when people complain about protesters in the street blocking traffic.

But you're only going to make a difference if you do something to make people stop and pay attention. That's what protests are for.

I hate the blocking traffic idea.  It's dangerous.  Do something that doesn't cause a possible dangerous situation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gally said:

Because that doesn't do anything.  Having convictions and following through with additional means of protest or coming up solutions is what is needed.  School aged kids could really make an impact in lessening these events by being inclusive during school.  Not alienating kids that are different and treating all people with respect.  Reducing bullying and being nice to everyone.  If this happened from an early age the kids that turn into adults with anger issues and a feeling of not being liked will help stem some of these events. 

Just walking out because I get a day off and school shootings are bad and then going back to their usual ways of life won't change anything.

Nobody is getting a day off.   The march in Washington and the simultaneous marches around the country are on a Saturday.  The March 14 walkout is for 17 minutes. 

Your premise is based on a fiction.   You can't have "additional means of protest" without your first means of protest.   

There may be some merit in teaching inclusiveness; there may also be some merit in kids asking that the people that are trying to kill them are limited in how many rounds can be fired at them in 30 seconds.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, the rover said:

Nobody is getting a day off.   The march in Washington and the simultaneous marches around the country are on a Saturday.  The March 14 walkout is for 17 minutes. 

Your premise is based on a fiction.   You can't have "additional means of protest" without your first means of protest.   

There may be some merit in teaching inclusiveness; there may also be some merit in kids asking that the people that are trying to kill them are limited in how many rounds can be fired at them in 30 seconds.

:goodposting:

7 minutes ago, Skoo said:

You realize that it's kids that started the #BoycottNRA movement and have caused numerous corporations to cut ties with the NRA.   They're also out registering young people to vote (many states allow pre-registration so that when you're 18, you're eligible to vote).   The marches and protests that you are arguing against were started by kids.  You're talking about it.  That means their voices are being heard.

Edited by the rover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, parasaurolophus said:

Many kids at my son's school are doing a walkout (along with many other schools I think) on March 14. I asked him what else he planned to do, what were the specific goals, and what was the follow up. He is a freshman so of course he didnt have those answers. I told him he couldn't do it unless he could answer those questions since his school is going to consider a walkout an unexcused absence from whatever class time is missed.  

Similar to what I told my son. (8th grade).

Said if he understood why they were walking out...then he should do so and take whatever punishment the school puts forth.  I would not punish any further if he understood why he was doing it and had actual reasoning.

School system here has addressed it and stated that they hoped (they said for safety) that kids would find a place inside the building to assemble and that any time missing from class would be an unexcused absence and so on.  Wondering if they got threats about the walkouts being "targets".

Son's school is actually holding an active shooter training/drill with the teachers tonight.

28 minutes ago, the rover said:

I have read where some protests suggested walking out of school for extended period of times including days or weeks.  I have no idea how valid they were but I have seen it.   

Instead of using the term "additional" I should have said "other forms" of protest.  Missing school is hurtful to your education (assuming extended absence) and there are other methods of protest that can be used as you have stated a few posts up.  I believe those will be more fruitful then missing class time. 

Just now, Gally said:

I have read where some protests suggested walking out of school for extended period of times including days or weeks.  I have no idea how valid they were but I have seen it.   

Instead of using the term "additional" I should have said "other forms" of protest.  Missing school is hurtful to your education (assuming extended absence) and there are other methods of protest that can be used as you have stated a few posts up.  I believe those will be more fruitful then missing class time. 

provide a link, please.   I've not heard a single source suggesting this.   It certainly isn't coming from the organized sources.  

for students, the most obvious and effective protest is doing something at their school.  a 17 minute walkout is certainly reasonable.  these kids are actually learning about Constitutional rights, peaceful protest, civil disobedience and the first and second amendments.   I assume a decent teacher can figure out how to create some value out of that.

44 minutes ago, the rover said:

You realize that it's kids that started the #BoycottNRA movement and have caused numerous corporations to cut ties with the NRA.   They're also out registering young people to vote (many states allow pre-registration so that when you're 18, you're eligible to vote).   The marches and protests that you are arguing against were started by kids.  You're talking about it.  That means their voices are being heard.

I think maybe you misread my post or meant to quote someone else, I'm fully in support of the protests.

1 hour ago, Gally said:

You know what they say about assumptions...

Not really sure why it's that hard to fathom that students might want to lower the chances of getting shot while at school...makes a lot of sense to me.

8 minutes ago, Skoo said:

I think maybe you misread my post or meant to quote someone else, I'm fully in support of the protests.

Yeah I scrolled back up and mistakenly picked out that quote from your post.

2 hours ago, bosoxs45 said:

I would. In fact I signed up in support of the March for our lives and will be in Denver to support the kids. 

53 minutes ago, the rover said:

provide a link, please.   I've not heard a single source suggesting this.   It certainly isn't coming from the organized sources.  

for students, the most obvious and effective protest is doing something at their school.  a 17 minute walkout is certainly reasonable.  these kids are actually learning about Constitutional rights, peaceful protest, civil disobedience and the first and second amendments.   I assume a decent teacher can figure out how to create some value out of that.

Sorry that I don't have a link.  It was right after the Florida event and I am not sure how serious it was.  It was just something I had read about and since the title was boycotting school I commented on that. 

I agree it's a good opportunity to learn all the things you mentioned and to also vary the ways of protest that can be done.  I am not against the idea just the general method of missing school because I think many will take advantage without following through with the reason behind missing (I know you are not talking about missing school but that was the original title of the thread). 

42 minutes ago, Skoo said:

You know what they say about assumptions...

Not really sure why it's that hard to fathom that students might want to lower the chances of getting shot while at school...makes a lot of sense to me.

I never said students don't want to stop shootings.  I just don't believe that many high/middle school students will follow through beyond missing school. 

I coached in high school for many years and anytime there was a reason given to miss school students took it without really knowing anything or the willingness of following through on the cause (other than the excuse to miss school).  I am not saying all students are that way or that this isn't a way to bring further discussion and get them thinking.  I just think there would be better ways to further the discussion than missing school for the cause because in my experience that is (missing school) where the discussion stops.

Kids miss a day of school for their bowling match, quiz bowl game, going to Cedar Point because they were on safety patrol or because it's their birthday. Lots of reasons kids miss school. I don't mind kids missing some school for political activism. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Kids miss a day of school for their bowling match, quiz bowl game, going to Cedar Point because they were on safety patrol or because it's their birthday. Lots of reasons kids miss school. I don't mind kids missing some school for political activism. 

I'll bet there was not a lot of learning in Philly the day after the Super Bowl.

For anyone who opposes the student's actions, have you ever faked a sick day?

• Like 2

My only qualification, and I already told my daughter this, is the same one that Hillary Clinton made to Black Lives Matter: you need to have specific legislative goals in mind. "Protesting school violence" sounds great, but it's meaningless. What do you want to see happen?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

To me this is just like kneeling for the national anthem.

"Sure, you can protest all you like. As long as we, the opposition, get to decide when, how, and where you protest."

People find it easier to argue against the protesters than it is to argue the actual issue being protested. Which should tell you something.

17 hours ago, Skoo said:

To me this is just like kneeling for the national anthem.

"Sure, you can protest all you like. As long as we, the opposition, get to decide when, how, and where you protest."

People find it easier to argue against the protesters than it is to argue the actual issue being protested. Which should tell you something.

There were pee wee league players taking a knee during the National Anthem. Do we feel 3rd graders should walk out of schools in protest as well?

33 minutes ago, KCitons said:

There were pee wee league players taking a knee during the National Anthem. Do we feel 3rd graders should walk out of schools in protest as well?

If the parents decide to walk with them to support the cause then by all means third graders should walk out.

34 minutes ago, KCitons said:

They are playing the National Anthem before pee wee games? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mile High said:

They are playing the National Anthem before pee wee games? 

yup, and before little league baseball games and hockey games.  Somehow sporting events became patriotic reviews.  I haven't figured out the conjunction of the two.

• Like 1

if they miss school for this, unexcused absence and however the school rules are on that, apply them and go on

I would like to see thousands of kids who do love their guns and 2nd Amendment to march against gun control - if I could help organize that I would

1 minute ago, Stealthycat said:

if they miss school for this, unexcused absence and however the school rules are on that, apply them and go on

I would like to see thousands of kids who do love their guns and 2nd Amendment to march against gun control - if I could help organize that I would

I seriously hope no one loves their guns.  That's a bit disturbing.  I love to fish but I do not love my fishing pole or my kayak.

21 hours ago, Gally said:

It’s 17 minutes. If your kid takes the whole day, by all means, ground him or her. And maybe get him or her a watch. 

2 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

There is a give and get going on in a lot of places to allow for the students to use this as a learning experience so they can be a part of the change process.  Activism has a price but it should be encouraged as it is here in Baltimore:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/education/bs-md-ci-student-walkout-20180306-story.html

Talia Richman@TaliRichman

Replying to @TaliRichman

The students will have a police escort as they make their way to a rally in front of Baltimore City Hall, almost five miles away.

11:07 AM - Mar 6, 2018

95 people are talking about this

==================================

Baltimore schools CEO Sonja Santelises said in a statement that the district encourages students “to make themselves heard about an issue that affects them profoundly.” But she said principals were encouraged to use time and space within their buildings for students to discuss gun violence and steps to prevent it.

“With respect to today’s protest, school police are working with city police to ensure that students who left our buildings are safe and do not impede traffic or cause potential danger for themselves or others,” she said. “Principals of schools whose students participated will continue working with their school communities to ensure future protests are both productive and safe.”

====================================

At Friends, students who participated in the walkout will receive a Saturday detention, said the 16-year-old organizer, Amee Rothman. Friends School administrators did not respond to requests for comment but an email sent to students’ families said students who left school without permission “will be assigned to come to a morning of thinking and action on Saturday April 7” during which they will meet with interested faculty “to further their work on how Friends School can disrupt the problem of gun violence in our city.”

17 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I seriously hope no one loves their guns.  That's a bit disturbing.  I love to fish but I do not love my fishing pole or my kayak.

if the young people can rally today for a political cause and be told how great it is, then that should also apply to the young people rallying to support guns as well

I hope someone organizes it

you don't love your kayak because you don't have a Jackson ;)

13 minutes ago, dutch said:

There is a give and get going on in a lot of places to allow for the students to use this as a learning experience so they can be a part of the change process.  Activism has a price but it should be encouraged as it is here in Baltimore:

if that's the school policy, cool

I hope they pro-gun, pro-shooting, pro-hunting kids organize and rally too, supported financially by the GOP and NRA and cops escort them etc etc

1 minute ago, Stealthycat said:

I hope they pro-gun, pro-shooting, pro-hunting kids organize and rally too, supported financially by the GOP and NRA and cops escort them etc etc

You can bet your bippy the police will be around for a march of yutes with guns, of that I am certain.

2 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

if the young people can rally today for a political cause and be told how great it is, then that should also apply to the young people rallying to support guns as well

You don't know what kayak I have, but you're right, I don't have a Jackson.  I would not love any kayak but I do love to go kayaking.  If some kids want to organize a rally in support of their right to bear arms then go right ahead.  It shouldn't be because they love guns though.  That's the problem I see with guns, people love them and forget what the second amendment is really for.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

Why would the GOP financially support a pro gun march?

I thought the school walk out already happened. My daughter did that at her high school a couple weeks ago.

So, after hearing another school call out about this...I asked my son if he planned on participating.

He said no...he didn't want to get in trouble.  I asked him if that was the only reason?  He went on to explain that while he understood some feel they aren't safe at school, he was happy with how his school has handled recent threats.  He then said his reasons were that he didn't want to get into trouble, he didn't want to seem as if he was against his teachers/principal, and from talking to some of the kids that were planning on it...too many were doing it just to get out of school and he thought that was stupid.

Just now, sho nuff said:

So, after hearing another school call out about this...I asked my son if he planned on participating.

He said no...he didn't want to get in trouble.  I asked him if that was the only reason?  He went on to explain that while he understood some feel they aren't safe at school, he was happy with how his school has handled recent threats.  He then said his reasons were that he didn't want to get into trouble, he didn't want to seem as if he was against his teachers/principal, and from talking to some of the kids that were planning on it...too many were doing it just to get out of school and he thought that was stupid.

Your son sounds smart.  Except he shouldn't view this particular topic as a students vs teachers/principals.

8 minutes ago, thayman said:

Your son sounds smart.  Except he shouldn't view this particular topic as a students vs teachers/principals.

He has a good head on his shoulders...and thankfully hangs out with other good kids.

He asked me my thoughts again.  I asked what all he had learned about protest.  They had just done a bunch of stuff on black history month about sit ins (there were many in Nashville and they used it not just about Black History but about Nashville History).  So he talked about people who thought they were wronged would protest to have their voice heard.  I gave him credit for that...and that some of those sit ins, it wasn't about the workers at certain restaurants or lunch counters...it was about ownership and society not wanting them in there.  So a protest wouldn't necessarily be about his teachers, but about the larger point of the school system and even higher up.  He sort of nodded and said, but the school system did well in response to threats as well...

I again told him that some felt others should do more.  His response was that he just didn't understand it all any higher up than that so he wasn't going to.  Good kid.  He also said there is a group and he has been with some of them that are going to talk to the principal and I believe now there is someone from the district coming to talk about some things with a small group of 7th and 8th graders that have ideas on safety.  So their voices are being heard in a different way.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

So organize it.  What's stopping you?

Kids regularly miss school for athletic events in Texas, especially come playoff time. I never hear anyone complain about the negative effects on their education.

14 minutes ago, honky kong said:

Kids regularly miss school for athletic events in Texas, especially come playoff time. I never hear anyone complain about the negative effects on their education.

It's not a big deal at all.  As long as the students have parental consent there shouldn't be an issue.