What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Savannah, Georgia and now maybe Asheville (1 Viewer)

Beef Ravioli

Footballguy
It’s on my wife’s bucket list. I want to surprise her on an upcoming trip where she thinks we are headed to family in TN and I want to head on over to Savannah.

So, if I want to stay for three days and two nights, what part of town do I target (I’ve heard there are parts of town i probably don’t want to be in), restaurants to try, and any other tips? 

TIA! 

Edit to add - What about Asheville versus Savannah? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice timing as I'll be doing my first official workation in May, and will be in Savannah for four days (staying somewhere right downtown, it's a conference - but a fun one with many libations)

We stayed in the Foley House.  It is a bed and breakfast with some Haunted reputation.  It was a nice place and seemed like it wasn't too bad to get around from there.  It was the only time I was in Savannah and we had a great time.

It’s on my wife’s bucket list. I want to surprise her on an upcoming trip where she thinks we are headed to family in TN and I want to head on over to Savannah.

So, if I want to stay for three days and two nights, what part of town do I target (I’ve heard there are parts of town i probably don’t want to be in), restaurants to try, and any other tips? 

TIA! 
Meh, Its kindof a tourist trap.  You have the walk on the river and then a bunch of bad parts in town.  When I was younger St Patricks day was pretty fun because the dye the river but other than that its really nothing special. 

Cool little town with some good restaurants and a lot of good bars in a quaint setting. Check Mercer theater for any shows when you are there. Do eat at Pinke House or the restaurant/bar in the basement.  Don't both with Paula Deen's joint. It's like a smaller Charleston but you can drink on the street.

When I was younger St Patricks day was pretty fun because the dye the river 
I was there for that on spring break one year. Down the I-95 to Florida with a stop in Savannah, somehow. I'll never forget the Southern girl: "We party all week here in Savannah." Golden tones, golden times.  

My wife and I stayed at the Kehoe house (once owned by Joe Namath) and it was relatively inexpensive for a bed and breakfast. We parked there and never got in our car for the next 4 days. It's about a 5-10 min walk from River drive with tons of restaurants and bars. It is also supposedly haunted but we didn't see anything. 

Another place that was highly recommended to us was the Marshall house.

My wife and I stayed at the Kehoe house (once owned by Joe Namath) and it was relatively inexpensive for a bed and breakfast. We parked there and never got in our car for the next 4 days. It's about a 5-10 min walk from River drive with tons of restaurants and bars. It is also supposedly haunted but we didn't see anything. 

Another place that was highly recommended to us was the Marshall house.
This is something we would prefer...park the car and walk to where we want to go.

Well then I would definitely check out those 2 places. Also, within walking distance is all of the old historical houses that you can tour, the square where Forest Gump was filmed, the pink house that someone else mentioned for dinner one night and several ghost tours if you are so inclined. The Kehoe house is one of the stops on all of the ghost tours. If you are wanting to get all romantic, I would recommend a horse and carriage ride around the historical district.

Was there in October for a work offsite. Stayed at the Mansion at Forsyth Park which was pretty nice. Team building thing involved a scavenger hunt through the city using a smartphone app which was actually pretty fun and got us to see most of the big sites. I'm sure they do something smaller that couples can do.

What's up with the bucket list thing? Big Forrest Gump fan?

TIA! 
It’s on my list too and almost went last weekend when our flight was cancelled but did Charleston instead....do yourself a favor and tack on a few days there after or before.  :thumbup:

I would not recommend the Thunderbird Motel for St. Patty's Day. Great party, maybe the worst motel on the east coast. I had to walk through a bad area at 6 AM to a gas station to buy a pine scented car air freshener to mask the smell of dead animal in our room. I think I threw up 36 times that weekend, most on videotape. 

I would not recommend the Thunderbird Motel for St. Patty's Day. Great party, maybe the worst motel on the east coast. I had to walk through a bad area at 6 AM to a gas station to buy a pine scented car air freshener to mask the smell of dead animal in our room. I think I threw up 36 times that weekend, most on videotape. 
It's an inn, my friend!   http://www.thethunderbirdinn.com

Holy ####.  Last I remember, the Thunderbird was a SCAD dorm. Apparently remodeled in 2016.

Ever go to the Night Flight? Live.music on River Street.

Hmm.  https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/search/?q=Savannah&type=forums_topic&nodes=4&sortby=relevancy&search_in=titles

i know there was another longer one at some point...

there is some famous restaurant with a crazy long wait and all the tables are communal.  Wanna say it's called Shirley's, but I don't think that's right.  Tybee island is cool in early morning and there is a great breakfast place that makes their own sausage.  Some of the best I've ever had.
Communal table place, Mrs Wilkes?

It's an inn, my friend!   http://www.thethunderbirdinn.com

Holy ####.  Last I remember, the Thunderbird was a SCAD dorm. Apparently remodeled in 2016.

Ever go to the Night Flight? Live.music on River Street.
I spent a few nights on River St and went to a bunch of different places, but I was always at least 12 deep before we left the hotel so I don't really remember the names of any of the places we went to. 

No problem.  It was a dump.
:lmao:

Good Lord, yes. Our room smelled so badly of decay that we could barely go in it. I was not about to start looking for whatever was causing that smell. Slept in there one night and woke up gagging at 6 AM. Walked to a gas station and bought the pine tree air freshener, that covered it up for a while. The next night, I "accidentally" fell asleep in a friend's room, then woke up at 4 AM and drove 5 hours back to Orlando. 

I think Savannah will always be a special place for me.  I saw Willie play there with his son Lukas last year and it was really something special. They played all the Willie standards, Lukas' rendition of Georgia, and then Lukas crushed some SRV.  All in an old school theAtre.  Good times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T17dAHtMB_s

We were there about 6 years ago in April. Stayed at the Marriott on the river. Nice walk with smaller shops along the river (taste a lot of different types of honey at Savannah Bee Company - favorite was tupelo honey that is from a small area in southern Georgia/northern Florida).  Some nice galleries on W Jullian Street at City Market. Great rooftop bar at the Bohemian Hotel on the river. Worse part was the sand fleas (gnats). I don't know if it was a bad season but they were all over along the river. Many outside bars had cans of bug spray on the tables. Enjoy!

Elizabeth's, Pink House, Fiddler's for food (and maybe Clary's for the shakes/burgers).

I'd go the B&B route rather than a hotel.  Savannah has some great ones.

Parts of Bonaventure Cemetery are quite beautiful.

You'll probably hear a bunch (or have already read a bunch) about the crime there.  And it's a real thing....although most of the worst stuff is usually drug related, so if you're not buying/dealing you should be fine.....but a lot of the other stuff (especially stuff like getting rolled/purse snatched) is due to people not using their head.  Don't get blasted and decide you're going to go walk alone to the darkest square in town at 3AM, don't walk around with the stupid sticker/badges from the tour groups stuck anywhere obvious cuz it makes you an easy mark (I'd avoid the tours all together anyway.  Not really worth it), don't leave your car unlocked or with valuables in view while you go to dinner, etc.  Basically "don't be stupid and keep self aware" and you should be good.

Elizabeth's, Pink House, Fiddler's for food (and maybe Clary's for the shakes/burgers).

I'd go the B&B route rather than a hotel.  Savannah has some great ones.

Parts of Bonaventure Cemetery are quite beautiful.

You'll probably hear a bunch (or have already read a bunch) about the crime there.  And it's a real thing....although most of the worst stuff is usually drug related, so if you're not buying/dealing you should be fine.....but a lot of the other stuff (especially stuff like getting rolled/purse snatched) is due to people not using their head.  Don't get blasted and decide you're going to go walk alone to the darkest square in town at 3AM, don't walk around with the stupid sticker/badges from the tour groups stuck anywhere obvious cuz it makes you an easy mark (I'd avoid the tours all together anyway.  Not really worth it), don't leave your car unlocked or with valuables in view while you go to dinner, etc.  Basically "don't be stupid and keep self aware" and you should be good.
Barry (from the Daytona/Key West stories and videos) got mugged there by a knife-wielding thug. The thief took his wallet and took off..... and somehow left HIS OWN wallet behind. Barry walked it to the police station. They picked the guy up about 3 hours later and Barry got his wallet back that afternoon (along, IIRC, with about 20 bucks that he took from the thief's wallet.) 

Really liked Savannah. Lots of restaurants and pubs, great to walk around. Would definitely go back. We stayed at the Bohemian, by the water. Cool little modern boutique hotel.

I live in Charleston, but enjoy Savannah (daughter went to SCAD) --its similar, but... not.For eats -- Pinke House, Greyhound, Trailer Park, Lulus Chocolate Bar for dessert, and a must try is Zunzi's for a takeout lunch --- Bonaventure worth it as is Tybee Island for a beach day ---

I live in Charleston, but enjoy Savannah (daughter went to SCAD) --its similar, but... not.For eats -- Pinke House, Greyhound, Trailer Park, Lulus Chocolate Bar for dessert, and a must try is Zunzi's for a takeout lunch --- Bonaventure worth it as is Tybee Island for a beach day ---
Charleston is where its at.  Awesome slice of Americana.  I hit that place and Mt Pleasant, and the beaches at least once a year. 

The last time I was in Savannah it was super sketchy and way too Paula Deany. 

##### ton of options on air bnb.  River St is the touristy front with some good bars/restaurants and 5 for $10 t-shirt shops.  Broughton St is where the good shopping is.  Forsyth Park is where the big mansions are.  There's a cool market area off St Julian with shops and eats (AT Hun gallery has awesome Big Lebowski art).  Antique stores for days.  And it's an open container city, so walk everywhere and drink whilst doing so (Moon River Brewery is a great starting point)

I love that city.  Wife and I are researching options to invest in a little condo to rent out and have as weekend escapes for us from Orlando

Barry (from the Daytona/Key West stories and videos) got mugged there by a knife-wielding thug. The thief took his wallet and took off..... and somehow left HIS OWN wallet behind. Barry walked it to the police station. They picked the guy up about 3 hours later and Barry got his wallet back that afternoon (along, IIRC, with about 20 bucks that he took from the thief's wallet.) 
You know why they chose Barry to roll?  Frosted tips.

That kind of thing happens a lot there, I'm told(armed person grabbing valuables and running but eventually getting collared).  The SCAD students got/get raked all the time according to my buddy who attended; perps know there's 1,000s of kids walking around with expensive digital #### on their person.  They steal it, run.....then get arrested when they try to sell it to somebody else. :)

5-ish Finkle said:
You know why they chose Barry to roll?  Frosted tips.

That kind of thing happens a lot there, I'm told(armed person grabbing valuables and running but eventually getting collared).  The SCAD students got/get raked all the time according to my buddy who attended; perps know there's 1,000s of kids walking around with expensive digital #### on their person.  They steal it, run.....then get arrested when they try to sell it to somebody else. :)
They picked the wrong guy.  I don't know if most people would have robbed the robber, but Barry was determined to profit from the experience.  :lol:

Well, my wife’s friend just got back from a visit to Asheville and my wife has that gleam in her eye. Either Savannah or Asheville would be a surprise to her. For those that have been to both, which do you prefer?

Well, my wife’s friend just got back from a visit to Asheville and my wife has that gleam in her eye. Either Savannah or Asheville would be a surprise to her. For those that have been to both, which do you prefer?
They're very different towns.  I definitely prefer Asheville because of the breweries and general hipster culture.  YMMV

Dude if you are choosing between the 2 then its simply a no brainer to go with Asheville.  Holy hell that is a cool city.  Great food, music, beer, hiking trails etc.  It still has a nice vibe to it that seems less corporate or touristy then Savannah. 

Dude if you are choosing between the 2 then its simply a no brainer to go with Asheville.  Holy hell that is a cool city.  Great food, music, beer, hiking trails etc.  It still has a nice vibe to it that seems less corporate or touristy then Savannah. 
I'll second this.

Asheville is awesome.

New Belgium is great. All of the local breweries in town have their own flavor. White Duck Taco Shop is not to miss.

Make sure you take a drive and visit Sierra Nevada. It is an amazing place, inside and out. Doing a self guided brewery tour feels like you are walking through a museum. 

So many options for hiking/outdoor stuff within a short drive.

Didn't like Asheville, too hipster for me and lots of homeless, or at least homeless looking people. Would never go back. Not a fun walking city. Some really good food though.

Didn't like Asheville, too hipster for me and lots of homeless, or at least homeless looking people. Would never go back. Not a fun walking city. Some really good food though.
Went to Asheville a couple weekends ago for Valentines Day with the wife. Been a crazy and tough couple months since her Dad passed so while we had a great time, I’m not thinking about going back. It was fun and some great food and beer, but I couldn’t imagine staying longer. For my money, I like Charleston over both of these. Nicer than Savannah’s touristyness and more my style than Asheville, plus beaches close too. Heck, I’d rather go to Hilton Head as well. We are around the same distance relatively speaking to all four places, which is really nice.

Went to Asheville a couple weekends ago for Valentines Day with the wife. Been a crazy and tough couple months since her Dad passed so while we had a great time, I’m not thinking about going back. It was fun and some great food and beer, but I couldn’t imagine staying longer. For my money, I like Charleston over both of these. Nicer than Savannah’s touristyness and more my style than Asheville, plus beaches close too. Heck, I’d rather go to Hilton Head as well. We are around the same distance relatively speaking to all four places, which is really nice.
We did a day trip to Charleston while in Savannah and wish we planned for longer. Would definitely go back to Charleston.

We did a day trip to Charleston while in Savannah and wish we planned for longer. Would definitely go back to Charleston.
It’s much nicer, not really close IMHO. Just like Asheville, Savannah has some great eats and hotels (stayed in Marriott’s autograph ones in both), but neither my wife nor I felt inclined to go back. We go back to Hilton Head every year with friends although that’s for a beach trip and we’d go back to Charleston. My wife is going there tomorrow on a school trip with my youngest. I did it with my middle son a couple years ago. Not as much fun with the school but still nice. 

Users who are viewing this thread