What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Trades (1 Viewer)

Gally

Footballguy
Michael Bennett traded to the Eagles and Alec Ogletree traded to the Giants.

Bennett - I wonder if this gives a hit to the value of Graham & Barnett as there is another body taking snaps or will it be the same as Long/Curry last year.  I think Bennett is probably better than Long/Curry so will it hurt Graham & Barnett?

Ogletree - probably puts a big damper on the BJ Goodsen hype train.  I acquired Goodsen cheap last year hoping he could stay healthy.  I am guessing he will be hurt quite a bit by the Ogletree acquisition.

Any other thoughts?

Ogletree - probably puts a big damper on the BJ Goodsen hype train.  I acquired Goodsen cheap last year hoping he could stay healthy.  I am guessing he will be hurt quite a bit by the Ogletree acquisition.

Any other thoughts?
Couldnt they very well play him at his natural 4-3 WLB spot?  Let him free roam as much as possible.

Any other thoughts?
they're switching to a 3-4, right? Goodson and Ogle can both handle the ILB spots. I'm sure they'll add someone else because Goodson can't be trusted to stay healthy.

they're switching to a 3-4, right? Goodson and Ogle can both handle the ILB spots. I'm sure they'll add someone else because Goodson can't be trusted to stay healthy.
I heard they are not switching to the 3-4. Just implementing some aspects of it depending on personnel groupings.  Alec is better cast in the 4-3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ogletree is a stud wherever he lines up.  Not worried about him.  I also think Goodson can be fine at WILL, his much bigger issue is his health.  I would have preferred Goodson have MIKE to himself obviously but that wasn't a high likelihood anyway due to the risk NYG were exposed to, you knew they were going to do something.  As an owner of both in different leagues I'm not concerned at all about this move. 

LOVE seeing Quinn go to Miami.  I have been sitting on him in a couple of leagues where I got him discounted due to his LB designation and hoping Wade would only be there a year or two and I just added him on waives in one league Monday too.  I have tremendous DL depth in them already too.  This one's gonna pay off nicely.

Couldnt they very well play him at his natural 4-3 WLB spot?  Let him free roam as much as possible.
The Giants have a new defensive coordinator (James Betcher) who will be implementing more of a hybrid 3-4 system. As such, I could see both Goodson and Ogletree playing inside. Snacks at nose, Tomlinson and JPP at end, and Olivier Vernon at one of the OLB spots. (This is going to doom Vernon's value in IDP leagues if he gets designated as a LB rather than DE) Keep in mind, in today's NFL, the base D isn't on the field all that much, and I expect them to be in nickel (4 linemen, 2 LB, 5 DB) almost 50% of the time. So....clear as mud, and it's anyone's guess how players such as Vernon get designated. (And also more reason why fantasy leagues should simply have an "edge" position to accommodate both 4-3 DE and 3-4OLB, as well as an "interior line" position that accommodates both 4-3 DTs and 3-4 DEs.). It's worth noting that Ogletree has struggled pretty mightily in a 3-4. The Rams were gashed by the run with him playing inside. Ogletree had an abysmal 38.9 PFF grade in 2017, ranking him in PFF’s “poor” category. He should probably fare much better with guys like Snacks and Tomlinson keeping him clean, but he's clearly better blitzing and chasing sideline to sideline rather than shedding blocks and tackling (led the league with 16 missed tackles last year), and he's generally regarded as being overrated in coverage, too. At any rate, his leadership will be valued, he's arriving in a LB-starved situation, he should be on the field all game, and once again prove at least a valuable fantasy asset.. 

The Giants have a new defensive coordinator (James Betcher) who will be implementing more of a hybrid 3-4 system.
I heard it was going to utilize more 4-3 then 3-4. More akin to how the Patriots looked the last couple years. 

If they are a 3-4 system (even as a hybrid) its going to doom a lot of their players -- not just in a fantasy perspective but real world ugliness.

I heard it was going to utilize more 4-3 then 3-4. More akin to how the Patriots looked the last couple years. 

If they are a 3-4 system (even as a hybrid) its going to doom a lot of their players -- not just in a fantasy perspective but real world ugliness.
Then it would be atypical for what he has done. Looking at his time in Arizona, his scheme was 4-2-5 48% of the time, 3-4-4 26% of the time and 3-3-5 17% of the time (according to PFF). That leaves less than 10% they were operating in a traditional 4-3-4 scheme. Hard to imagine he'd radically abandon what worked so well in Arizona, which was generally a 3-4 alignment featuring heavy blitzing and a mix of man and zone coverages. Those defenses finished fifth, second and sixth in fewest yards allowed in three seasons when he was the Cardinals defensive coordinator, sixth-lowest third-down conversions in 2017, third-fewest yards allowed per play (tied with Seahawks and Broncos) in 2017, and allowed fewest yards per rush (3.67) and most forced fumbles (60) since 2015. I'm expecting a 3-4 base, but also expect them to again be in that 4-2-5 nickel scheme roughly half the time. So how guys like Vernon get designated is anyone's guess. I'd be trying to unload him, though, as I'm not confident AT ALL that even if he spends most of his time with his hand in the dirt and pinning his ears back to rush the QB, he'll still retain that DE status.

Im guessing that 4-2-5 will see an increase in useage this year.  Especially considering the LB issues.

nice posts sack.

Then it would be atypical for what he has done. Looking at his time in Arizona, his scheme was 4-2-5 48% of the time, 3-4-4 26% of the time and 3-3-5 17% of the time (according to PFF). That leaves less than 10% they were operating in a traditional 4-3-4 scheme. Hard to imagine he'd radically abandon what worked so well in Arizona, which was generally a 3-4 alignment featuring heavy blitzing and a mix of man and zone coverages. Those defenses finished fifth, second and sixth in fewest yards allowed in three seasons when he was the Cardinals defensive coordinator, sixth-lowest third-down conversions in 2017, third-fewest yards allowed per play (tied with Seahawks and Broncos) in 2017, and allowed fewest yards per rush (3.67) and most forced fumbles (60) since 2015. I'm expecting a 3-4 base, but also expect them to again be in that 4-2-5 nickel scheme roughly half the time. So how guys like Vernon get designated is anyone's guess. I'd be trying to unload him, though, as I'm not confident AT ALL that even if he spends most of his time with his hand in the dirt and pinning his ears back to rush the QB, he'll still retain that DE status.
Good info, but the good news for us is that none of that really matters for FF purposes.  He's always had two LB's produce there - even Kevin Minter, who stinks, put up passable numbers.  Dansby was old and slow and did too.  Buchanon has been producing since being moved.  Ogletree may be better fit for Buchanon's role - he was one of the original "225 fast athletes" that has transformed the position - he was overmatched as the thumper in LAR but maybe being back to a 4 man front will keep him clean.  Goodson is a bit thicker and more of the true MIKE if he can stay on the field.  Pretty good chance they aren't done addressing the position either given Goodson's inability to stay on the field.

onionsack said:
The Giants have a new defensive coordinator (James Betcher) who will be implementing more of a hybrid 3-4 system. As such, I could see both Goodson and Ogletree playing inside. Snacks at nose, Tomlinson and JPP at end, and Olivier Vernon at one of the OLB spots. (This is going to doom Vernon's value in IDP leagues if he gets designated as a LB rather than DE) Keep in mind, in today's NFL, the base D isn't on the field all that much, and I expect them to be in nickel (4 linemen, 2 LB, 5 DB) almost 50% of the time. So....clear as mud, and it's anyone's guess how players such as Vernon get designated. (And also more reason why fantasy leagues should simply have an "edge" position to accommodate both 4-3 DE and 3-4OLB, as well as an "interior line" position that accommodates both 4-3 DTs and 3-4 DEs.). It's worth noting that Ogletree has struggled pretty mightily in a 3-4. The Rams were gashed by the run with him playing inside. Ogletree had an abysmal 38.9 PFF grade in 2017, ranking him in PFF’s “poor” category. He should probably fare much better with guys like Snacks and Tomlinson keeping him clean, but he's clearly better blitzing and chasing sideline to sideline rather than shedding blocks and tackling (led the league with 16 missed tackles last year), and he's generally regarded as being overrated in coverage, too. At any rate, his leadership will be valued, he's arriving in a LB-starved situation, he should be on the field all game, and once again prove at least a valuable fantasy asset.. 
Thank you, I was wondering why in the world the Rams would trade him.  You answered that.

For all the good they've done as a team, I still shake my head at the Ram's move to a 3-4 when their best 3 players (Donald, Quinn, Ogletree) were all 4-3 guys....

Rams with more moves picking up Talib to go with Peters a bit earlier.  That defense should be tough to pass against....

JPP in Tampa now. I have to think it kills any Noah Spence chatter, if there was any. Is Curry playing DT or DE here now? McCoy is maybe the DT to target in leagues that require them. 

Users who are viewing this thread