What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TRADE THREAD- President Trump signs Phase One of China agreement, China promises to double its purchases in 2020 (6 Viewers)

I think they’ll probably just buy a used car. 
That's a solution too. But, it doesn't help automakers as far as selling new cars. 

Not all used cars come with a warranty. So, we are back to more cars that need repairs or upgrades. Those jobs will be exclusively performed by American workers. 

That's a solution too. But, it doesn't help automakers as far as selling new cars. 

Not all used cars come with a warranty. So, we are back to more cars that need repairs or upgrades. Those jobs will be exclusively performed by American workers. 
I think you should probably be looking to high-end used vehicle sales as your silver lining.  When a new Toyota Camry costs $30,000 and a 3-year-old BMW costs $25,000, I think that’s where’s the tipping point probably is. 

Bloomberg breaks down the deal- it’s not very good for us: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/view/articles/2018-08-28/trump-s-mexico-trade-deal-looks-like-a-lemon

As suspected, the main reason markets rallied yesterday was not because of the details of this deal, but because Trump will lift his stupid tariffs once this agreement goes through. Congratulations? 
Looks like very small concessions both ways but Trump will claim it’s a huge win.

Guys, I just spoke with my father-in-law and he said this is another deal where Trump claimed a huge victory but really got very little in return and is mainly cleaning up some of the stuff he screwed up himself. Just reporting what my FIL said.

Guys, I just spoke with my father-in-law and he said this is another deal where Trump claimed a huge victory but really got very little in return and is mainly cleaning up some of the stuff he screwed up himself. Just reporting what my FIL said.
On Its face, that sounds like what may have happened. We will know for sure once we can see in writing the differences between this agreement and NAFTA. Hey, if we get a better deal in the new agreement, that’s great.

Hopefully it’s more than just eeking a minuscule favorable difference, because the cost in our standing in the eyes of our allies may not be worth that small gain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget that you couldn't reply much, seeing as you are the biggest Trump supporter on these boards

;) :P  

Bloomberg breaks down the deal- it’s not very good for us: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/view/articles/2018-08-28/trump-s-mexico-trade-deal-looks-like-a-lemon

As suspected, the main reason markets rallied yesterday was not because of the details of this deal, but because Trump will lift his stupid tariffs once this agreement goes through. Congratulations? 
Oh, good.  Glad we're paying $6 billion to farmers to come up with that one. 

On Its face, that sounds like what may have happened. We will know for sure once we can see in writing the differences between this agreement and NAFTA. Hey, if we get a better deal in the new agreement, that’s great.

Hopefully it’s more than just eeking a minuscule favorable difference, because the cost in our standing in the eyes of our allies may not be worth that small gain.
Yeah, this whole debacle should pay for itself in about 400 years or so.

I think you should probably be looking to high-end used vehicle sales as your silver lining.  When a new Toyota Camry costs $30,000 and a 3-year-old BMW costs $25,000, I think that’s where’s the tipping point probably is. 
Why is it one or the other?

If I own a 2010 Camry that's paid off, buying a $30k Camry may not appeal to me. Especially if I bought my 2010 brand new for $20k. I might look at just putting a little money into repairs and keeping it for another five years. 

This is exactly how I manage our cars. Four out of the five are over 10 years old. Three are 20 years old. When I think about upgrading to a new model, the cost of financing, sales tax, insurance makes little sense to me. 

Why is it one or the other?

If I own a 2010 Camry that's paid off, buying a $30k Camry may not appeal to me. Especially if I bought my 2010 brand new for $20k. I might look at just putting a little money into repairs and keeping it for another five years. 

This is exactly how I manage our cars. Four out of the five are over 10 years old. Three are 20 years old. When I think about upgrading to a new model, the cost of financing, sales tax, insurance makes little sense to me. 
I'm the same way, but I always have been.  There isn't a vehicle on my property that's less than ten years old, seldom has been.  But we're not the norm.  People get bored.  I blame MTV.

@ddale8

Mexican ministers, who haven't been clear over the last 24 hours, have today sounded more committed to a three-country deal. "The agreement must be trilateral," Foreign Secretary Luis Videgaray said on Mexican TV, adding he had "clear instruction" from President EPN about this.

So, a North American Free Trade Agreement if you will?
MNAFTAGA

I'm the same way, but I always have been.  There isn't a vehicle on my property that's less than ten years old, seldom has been.  But we're not the norm.  People get bored.  I blame MTV.
The average age of the US fleet of light vehicles is 11.6 years. How much older can it get?

When EV vehicles become the norm they will last longer, but will require less maintenance (since they have a lot fewer parts)

The average age of the US fleet of light vehicles is 11.6 years. How much older can it get?

When EV vehicles become the norm they will last longer, but will require less maintenance (since they have a lot fewer parts)
The average age of a vehicle is not the same thing as the average number of years someone keeps a vehicle.  While the average age of a vehicle is over 11 years, the average number of years someone keeps a vehicle is around 6.

Second, my and KC's vehicles are not the norm, since we appear to have much higher average ages of vehicles than the national average, which is what I was saying.

The average age of a vehicle is not the same thing as the average number of years someone keeps a vehicle.  While the average age of a vehicle is over 11 years, the average number of years someone keeps a vehicle is around 6.

Second, my and KC's vehicles are not the norm, since we appear to have much higher average ages of vehicles than the national average, which is what I was saying.
Well, I'm sure that you don't mean to imply that vehicles that are no longer with their original owner need more maintenance from American mechanics, than vehicles withtheir original owner. In which case it really doesn't matter how long anyone hangs on to it, but how long it stays on the road.

Well, I'm sure that you don't mean to imply that vehicles that are no longer with their original owner need more maintenance from American mechanics, than vehicles withtheir original owner. In which case it really doesn't matter how long anyone hangs on to it, but how long it stays on the road.
Why would I mean to imply that?  My whole point is that people aren't going to keep their cars longer because of more expensive new cars, they're just more likely to buy a used higher-end car.  

Why would I mean to imply that?  My whole point is that people aren't going to keep their cars longer because of more expensive new cars, they're just more likely to buy a used higher-end car.  
And here I was thinking you agreed with KC - silly me

It's not controversial. But, as I stated before, if prices get too high, then people will hold on to their cars longer. Better to spend $1000 on repairs and upgrades than to spend $30k on a new car. This will lead to other jobs. (and you don't ship your car to Mexico for a new muffler) Supply and demand will force automakers to adjust prices or go out of business. I was pointing out a silver lining to the concern. That's all. 
I think they’ll probably just buy a used car. 
That's a solution too. But, it doesn't help automakers as far as selling new cars. Not all used cars come with a warranty. So, we are back to more cars that need repairs or upgrades. Those jobs will be exclusively performed by American workers. 

So lawyer guys I have a question.  How does this negotiation qualify for the fast track rules?  He notified Congress that he was going to negotiate a new NAFTA with Mexico and Canada. Ok cool. That's not what he's done though. What am I missing?

So lawyer guys I have a question.  How does this negotiation qualify for the fast track rules?  He notified Congress that he was going to negotiate a new NAFTA with Mexico and Canada. Ok cool. That's not what he's done though. What am I missing?
Probably that Trump's proclamations aren't going to result in serious policy

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, but obviously there are some important details out if it's already positively impacting farmers. Plus I saw something on the news about it being a "YUGE win" so it sounds like it's pretty great for America.

Maybe goper or weebs will be around and can fill us in.
Bump

Edited 1 hour ago by Gopher State
Spelling
Why do I have the feeling I missed a real gem here.  Still nothing but your FIL @Gopher State??

Thanks, but obviously there are some important details out if it's already positively impacting farmers. Plus I saw something on the news about it being a "YUGE win" so it sounds like it's pretty great for America.

Bump
We were being told to Google it yesterday, but now Google is public enemy #1.  Maybe it didn't have the results that the liar running the government wanted?

When the government agrees to purchase products from farmers, like the $500 million+ in direct purchases of pork, what do they do with it?

When the government agrees to purchase products from farmers, like the $500 million+ in direct purchases of pork, what do they do with it?
They store it, try to sneak it into the world market most likely. Or use it to substitute all or part of e.g. the military's normal purchases (which would be a zero sum outcome for farmers)

@ddale8

FollowFollow @ddale8

More

What happened: I obtained these quotes. I'm not bound by Bloomberg's "off the record" promises. I asked the White House and the Trudeau team for comment. The Trudeau team, which is certain the quotes are accurate, sprung them on Trump's team at the meeting this morning.
mic drop....

#MAGA

Brian Krassenstein‏ @krassenstein

BREAKING: U.S. borrowing expected to hit $329 billion in the current quarter. This would be the largest July-September deficit in 8 years and would equate to a 74% rise over last year. In other words, Trump is bankrupting the Country like he did his businesses.

11:28 AM - 31 Jul 2018

So a full week has passed. Surely the details of the big bonus for farmers have made their way to the public by now. It wasn't just the subsidy package we gave them, was it?

#MAGA

BREAKING: U.S. borrowing expected to hit $329 billion in the current quarter. This would be the largest July-September deficit in 8 years and would equate to a 74% rise over last year. In other words, Trump is bankrupting the Country like he did his businesses.

My line of thinking before was 'well, if he got impeached, then we'd have Pence to deal with'. I'm starting to think a fundamentalist whack-job would be better than this imbecile.  

#MAGA

My line of thinking before was 'well, if he got impeached, then we'd have Pence to deal with'. I'm starting to think a fundamentalist whack-job would be better than this imbecile
In order to get Trump removed you need the mega blue wave in the midterms - and with a mega blue wave it is unlikely that any president, let alone Mike Pence, could get to do too much crazy #### with almost no friends in the House/Senate.

More likely that the Dems that the House and obstructs for all they have learned - less likely that they also take the Senate and can actually get an impeachement but no removal through

My line of thinking before was 'well, if he got impeached, then we'd have Pence to deal with'. I'm starting to think a fundamentalist whack-job would be better than this imbecile.  
This was your response to 

Trump is bankrupting the Country like he did his businesses.

If ObAma doubling the debt the previous 43 Presidents left their children didn’t bankrupt us I doubt Donny will.

Unless he doubles that.

But then your happy right?

It would be funny if they didn’t spend their whole lives telling you they are on your side American.

Users who are viewing this thread