What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TRADE THREAD- President Trump signs Phase One of China agreement, China promises to double its purchases in 2020 (1 Viewer)

I still don't get why the tariffs are on parts and raw goods, but a lot of completed merchandise is still exempt.

I'm in consumer electronics. Our replacement parts are now caught under the 25% tariff, but our full units are still brought in at starting duty rates.
If you wanted to craft a plan to punish American manufacturers, I'm not sure you could have done a better job. Make components cheap and finished goods more expensive and some work to include the essential character will be done in the USA. 

How are those supplier jobs relative to jobs with Ford? I have also know a lot of peole who have bounced around a couple times but they always wanted the Ford job because it was a significantly better paying position. The suppliers and engineering firms they were with couldn't come close to matching Ford. Is that normal or just my small slice of experience?
Depends on the position.  Factory and line positions will pay higher at Big 3 companies than suppliers. 

Last 7-8 years Ford has been hiring a high % of contract workers for tech jobs they know go up and down so they will not be locked into a vested employee and give 2 weeks notice without big payouts. Many jobs at Johnson and Lear are of equal pay. Engineering you want to be at a Big 3 as they will be higher paid..maybe not a whole lot but the bennies and car allowance is much better.

IMF: US trade war would make world 'poorer and more dangerous'

The US and China's escalation of trade tariffs is expected to hit growth in both countries in 2019, when the boost from President Trump's sweeping tax cuts will also start to wane.

Mr Obstfeld said the world would become a "poorer and more dangerous place" unless world leaders worked together to raise living standards, improve education and reduce inequality.

The IMF warned that the world faced a permanent hit to growth if the US followed through on a threat to impose a 25% on all imported cars, and global tariffs hit business confidence, investment and borrowing costs.

In this worst case scenario, the US economy would take a significant hit, while economic growth in China would drop below 5% in 2019, compared with a current prediction of 6.2%.

The best part of all this is the expansion of government.  Remember when the GOP professed to absolutely detest the expansion of government?  Yeah....good times :lmao:  

Interest rate rise correction.  We'll see moving forward, but we're still way above crazy train numbers.  We are down almost 1200 in seven days, though... that's nearly a 5% drop.
Exactly.  It's hardly 2008 right now.  Either way I've been too heavy in cash as I've been spooked by the state of the market for a couple years now and added to cash/real estate.  I guess I'll eventually be on the right side.  No reason to get in deeper now.

Exactly.  It's hardly 2008 right now.  Either way I've been too heavy in cash as I've been spooked by the state of the market for a couple years now and added to cash/real estate.  I guess I'll eventually be on the right side.  No reason to get in deeper now.
Agreed.  As I've said repeatedly on this board, volatility bad.  There's been way too much of it for about two years now, and I have no interest in hoping I time things just right.  

Presidents don't usually have much control over the economy.  But starting a massive trade war, undermining international trade, funneling even more money to the rich, and working to kill the Fed's independence definitely doesn't qualify as "usually".

i.e. -- everything Trump touches turns to ####.  The American economy probably won't escape either.

Last edited by a moderator:
The inflationary interest rate policies of this president are damaging too. Separate issue but pushing cost hikes via tariffs can’t help either.

They (the other "team") assumes you are because that's what this has become.  A game without the interest of the country.
There is a poll in this subforum where people voted that they would choose a recession if it meant people wouldn't vote for Trump again.

So an assumption that people in here would celebrate a bad day for the Dow seems pretty fair, no?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a poll in this subforum where people voted that they would choose a recession if it meant people wouldn't vote for Trump again.

So an assumption that people in here would celebrate a bad day for the Dow seems pretty fair, no?
No. 

Bur even so, I voted against that question which I thought was stupid. I felt the same way when some here seemed to applaud whenever there was an anecdote about Obamacare hurting somebody. 

Again. We're not celebrating.  A drop that big is news, no?

It’s stupid to hope for bad things to happen so that a President will be defeated. But those that do aren’t celebrating when the bad things happen; they simply see it as the lesser of two evils. 

It’s stupid to hope for bad things to happen so that a President will be defeated. But those that do aren’t celebrating when the bad things happen; they simply see it as the lesser of two evils. 
You really think Trump has a chance to win?  There is no way Trump wins again.....unless Hillary is resurrected.  

Users who are viewing this thread