Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
timschochet

TRADE WAR discussion thread UPDATE: New agreement reached with Canada and Mexico, tariffs removed

9 hours ago, Gopher State said:

Well we know he wont ever admit he made a mistake.  I rather do business with Canada and Mexico then China.  

We need to business with Canada, Mexico and China.  Can’t ignore the needs of over a billion people and the world’s second largest economy. 

3 hours ago, Gopher State said:

Trump reached an agreement with Japan to end restrictions on America beef exports to Japan.  It is expected to increase beef sales to Japan by about 200 million per year.  Finally some good news for our farmers.

The livestock industry has been doing quite well except for the dairy industry. Crop farmers are the ones getting killed.

2 hours ago, lazyike said:

The livestock industry has been doing quite well except for the dairy industry. Crop farmers are the ones getting killed.

Pork producers are getting subsidies, even one owned by Brazilians: https://billingsgazette.com/brazilian-company-received-m-in-trump-bailout-cash-meant-for/article_247ca8ee-92ea-5629-9de2-d0c38e3760f6.html

50 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

https://www.nationalhogfarmer.com/marketing/export-demand-driving-hog-prices

In this you will see from March 1st to April 15th (2019) hog prices have risen an amazing  $30 a hundred weight.

The money pork producers were paid was a one time payment for lost export sales to China in 2018. Prices would even be higher because of the Chinese outbreak of African Swine fever however if not for reduced exports due to high tariffs.

Edited by lazyike

10 hours ago, Slapdash said:

Did the same with Canada and Ireland too.

To be clear....this was something that Japan did.  They established the restriction and they also lifted it.  I am unaware of something similar with Ireland and Canada (unless you're talking about the steel tariffs, which he did finally lift)....different beast.

6 hours ago, SoBeDad said:

and the Chinese....Smithfield was granted relief after the tariffs were put in place :crazy: 

9 hours ago, lazyike said:

I agree 100 percent that grain farmers have been getting killled.  Trade wars are a big factor but GMO seeds, roundup chemicals, variable rate planters and other technologies have increased production of grain at an amazing rate, which has lead to overproduction, not a bad thing as we can feed the world.  But we need to look for new crops such as hemp to find new ways for our farmers to make money.  I have no problem paying our farmers subsidizes but let’s pay them to idle land which should cut back on production.  Don’t get me wrong i love our farmers!

50 minutes ago, The Commish said:

To be clear....this was something that Japan did.  They established the restriction and they also lifted it.  I am unaware of something similar with Ireland and Canada (unless you're talking about the steel tariffs, which he did finally lift)....different beast.

Japan had similar restrictions on beef imports from those countries until yesterday too

40 minutes ago, Gopher State said:

I agree 100 percent that grain farmers have been getting killled.  Trade wars are a big factor but GMO seeds, roundup chemicals, variable rate planters and other technologies have increased production of grain at an amazing rate, which has lead to overproduction, not a bad thing as we can feed the world.  But we need to look for new crops such as hemp to find new ways for our farmers to make money.  I have no problem paying our farmers subsidizes but let’s pay them to idle land which should cut back on production.  Don’t get me wrong i love our farmers!

Pay farmers to not grow on their land. Like pay someone not to work. Are you a communist?

A lot of reporting this morning that the farmers who have supported Trump in the past, and who are already being hurt by these tariffs, are standing by him anyhow. 

Nationalism, once unleashed, is very strong. It’s an emotional reaction and very difficult to defeat with logic.