What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TRADE THREAD- President Trump signs Phase One of China agreement, China promises to double its purchases in 2020 (1 Viewer)

Point is, was, and always will be..polls don't mean anything at all.  They are entirely worthless.  You quote them constantly, which I find amusing.
What is the percentage of polls being wrong most of the time? Trump wins once so now all polls are now worthless for all time and what about all the times poll have been right ?

What is the percentage of polls being wrong most of the time? Trump wins once so now all polls are now worthless for all time and what about all the times poll have been right ?
Well except when Rasmussen comes out with him at 50% occasionally, then we have a poll that matters!

China, for instance - even if it was harder on China... who cares? It’s China. What are the people going to do, vote in a new ruling party? Engage in organized political dissent? 

For Mexico: the Mexican President was just elected for a 6-year term in 2018.  He’s not going anywhere based on this. 

Contrast that with Trump.  What happens if farmers, truckers, and manufacturing workers get hit hard by this?

This has probably been discussed, but it's pretty obvious to me at least that there's no way Mexico does whatever it is Trump is asking for one simple reason:

He needs the border as a campaign issue.

Let's say Mexico did do something that stopped the crisis at the border. Now what? Can't keep arguing for the wall, the crisis has ended. Can't go on about fictional murders and kidnapping and drugs and human trafficking, the crisis is over.

There is nothing Mexico could do that would "satisfy" the Trump administration. They need to keep the fear machine going.

This has probably been discussed, but it's pretty obvious to me at least that there's no way Mexico does whatever it is Trump is asking for one simple reason:

Let's say Mexico did do something that stopped the crisis at the border. Now what? Can't keep arguing for the wall, the crisis has ended. Can't go on about fictional murders and kidnapping and drugs and human trafficking, the crisis is over.

There is nothing Mexico could do that would "satisfy" the Trump administration. They need to keep the fear machine going.
Perhaps this was the reason why he won.  Folks care about immigration.  Frankly doesnt seem like either party does but voters do.

He'd just manufacture something else and they'd lap it up

Last edited by a moderator:

Evidence the ramped-up rhetoric that occurred just before the mid-term elections. Suddenly we were being "invaded" and Dems wanted open borders. Curious that the border wall was far less of an issue when the GOP controlled all branches of government and nothing was accomplished.

Perhaps this was the reason why he won.  Folks care about immigration.  Frankly doesnt seem like either party does but voters do.
If immigration was what turned out voters in MI, WI, and PA....I'd suggest it wasn't the people crossing the border part of it....

If immigration was what turned out voters in MI, WI, and PA....I'd suggest it wasn't the people crossing the border part of it....
Trump won not because of any issue but because dems either didn't show up, voted anti-Hillary, or voted 3rd party.

I really really really doubt those things will all happen again, because they all needed to happen for him to squeak out the win. 

Democrats continue to push legislation that McConnell won’t even discuss.  Plus the GOP has two years with full control of the government and did nothing.  It’s quite clear who doesn’t care about immigration other than campaign slogans and as a means to power.

Democrats continue to push legislation that McConnell won’t even discuss.  Plus the GOP has two years with full control of the government and did nothing.  It’s quite clear who doesn’t care about immigration other than campaign slogans and as a means to power.
To be fair, they did spend those 2 years trying to dismantle our health insurance. Apparently taking health care away from millions of people (some of whom were children with real, live heartbeats) was a higher priority than solving our massive immigration issues.

China, for instance - even if it was harder on China... who cares? It’s China. What are the people going to do, vote in a new ruling party? Engage in organized political dissent? 

For Mexico: the Mexican President was just elected for a 6-year term in 2018.  He’s not going anywhere based on this. 

Contrast that with Trump.  What happens if farmers, truckers, and manufacturing workers get hit hard by this?
Suck it libs? 

boots11234 said:
Yes.  And LOL if you think it will be more difficult on us than them.  Same with China.
This is an example of pretty short term thinking. Maybe it's bad for them in the short run, but this kind of approach by the U.S. will ultimately be most detrimental to the U.S. Everyone else will start cutting the U.S. out of the loop, establish other markets, other trade partners etc. Hopefully the long term damage will be corrected by whoever comes after Trump. Problem is,  folks thinking as you seem to might keep someone competent from holding office, and thus consign the U.S. to an unnecessary decline.

How many of you here were calling this a manufactured crisis Again?
I was. Because it is. We manufactured it, in 3 ways: 

1. We supported authoritarian rule in those Central American countries where most of these folks are from, allowed 1% of the population to horde all the resources and have done nothing to help rescue their people from economic destitution. 

2. Climate change caused by us have created major drought which has significantly contributed to the number of people who have fled northward trying to escape starvation. 

3. Our policies and practices at the border, particularly under the current administration, have created a backlog of migrants, making the situation far worse than it could be. 

The mixed messaging continues. The White House suggests that Trump may delay imposing the tariffs, or may accept Mexico’s “offer” (whatever that is). But Trump says he won’t and it will start Monday. Is he bluffing? 

In the meantime Congress is trying to stop him: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1366320001
He's always:

1) Bluffing

B) Doesn't understand the game so it looks like bluffing

III. All of the above

Our policies and practices at the border, particularly under the current administration, have created a backlog of migrants, making the situation far worse than it could be. 
That backlog has been a work in progress for years. Has the current admin made it worse?  Yes. Is their approach deplorable?  Yes. But the infrastructure for supporting our immigration laws has been lacking for years. 

This is how you Win...maybe.  We finally have a president that sticks up for Americans. How refreshing. Bruh has Tiger blood!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
supermike80 said:
I can make any poll say anything I want..Literally.  
Sure you could -- if you're the kind of person who's not interested in discovering the truth.

Most pollsters, almost all of them, aren't like that.  Even Rasmussen -- who have their finger on the scale more than anyone else of note -- is more or less constrained by truth, and only tilts the results in favor of what they wish was true by a few percentage points.

This is how you Win...maybe.  We finally have a president that sticks up for Americans. How refreshing. Bruh has Tiger blood!!!
Mexico is offering to send 6,000 national guard to their southern border. That’s not going to stop anything. If Trump accepts that this will all have been a big, meaningless show as many of us have expected all along. Still I hope he does, as it’s preferable to the real thing. 

Sure you could -- if you're the kind of person who's not interested in discovering the truth.

Most pollsters, almost all of them, aren't like that.  Even Rasmussen -- who have their finger on the scale more than anyone else of note -- is more or less constrained by truth, and only tilts the results in favor of what they wish was true by a few percentage points.
I dont know any pollsters....So I cant comment on how they are.  I appreciate you knowing so many so you can help out.

This article makes it clear what Trump’s main demand is: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1370610001

He wants Mexico to designate itself an “asylum country”. The treaty we agreed to allows us to refuse asylum to any migrant who had already reached a previous “asylum country” without specific consideration- this will allow our judges at the border to basically refuse ALL asylum requests and deport them all. 

So far Mexico has refused this demand. 

The article mentions that Trump has the backing of the Center for Immigration Studies- a group that has long been committed to sharply reducing immigration to this country, particularly from Latin America. The goal of all of Trump’s proposals, whether it be this new one or “merit-based” immigration or an end to allowing immediate family members to come here, is to basically eliminate any more Hispanics from coming to the United States. In this particular bit of insanity (my term), Mexico would become our wall, stopping all migrants from moving further north. 

IF Mexico were to agree to this, Trump really could stop the migrant issue- we’d simply turn all applicants away. Would that be enough of a “win” on immigration to turn the tide next year in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania? 

Unfortunately it might. 

IF Mexico were to agree to this, Trump really could stop the migrant issue- we’d simply turn all applicants away. Would that be enough of a “win” on immigration to turn the tide next year in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania? 

Unfortunately it might. 
Mexico will never agree.

Our National coffers were already overflowing from the tariffs placed on China.  It's just going to be even better when Mexico starts paying us.  And with the poor jobs report- squeezing these Mezicans out of the great jobs they are stealing from us will allow our economy to be even stronger as the coveted jobs in industries like  meat processing can now go to our hard working middle class.  Suck on our high fructose Soy Syrup losers of the world - we've got The Art of the Deal in charge.

If they don’t I think Trump means to go forward 
If I were them, I wouldn't back down from this one.  It will hurt the Mexican economy, and it might hurt their economy more than the US economy.  However, this is what you do to a bully.  You stand up to him.  The Mexican people will want AMLO to stand up to Trump, especially for a demand like this.

Users who are viewing this thread