Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
timschochet

TRADE WAR: Dow drops all week, rebounds a little on Friday

5 minutes ago, timschochet said:

That is what I normally do. When it has a large drop like the last two days, I start paying closer attention. 

And I see no humor in it. 

Right. Large percentage swings all day isn't normal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

They’re a big part of it. From what I gather its, in no particular order:

1. Tariffs 

2. Interest rate hikes

3. Tech stocks are way overvalued. 

It is mostly interest rates.  And not just the short end

36 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Not what I said.

I didn't say it was, but saying "the 10 year is causing market instability" is sort of like saying "the two cars hitting each other caused the accident"

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

That is what I normally do. When it has a large drop like the last two days, I start paying closer attention. 

And I see no humor in it. 

Speaking as somebody who lived through the 2008 crash, I can't take this too terribly seriously.  That was a Cat 5.  This is a summer rain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Henry Ford said:

I didn't say it was, but saying "the 10 year is causing market instability" is sort of like saying "the two cars hitting each other caused the accident"

Again, not even close to what I was saying.  It's really simple, and I'd explain it to you but you have a way of either miss reading or miss characterizing every post to fit whatever world you're living in so no thanks.  Not close to being worth my time.

3 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Again, not even close to what I was saying.  It's really simple, and I'd explain it to you but you have a way of either miss reading or miss characterizing every post to fit whatever world you're living in so no thanks.  Not close to being worth my time.

Okay. Well, sorry to misconstrue and have a good day.

Metal Tariffs Haven’t Cost Jobs (Yet) (Bloomberg)

Employment in metal-using industries has risen since the tariffs went into effect last spring. Employment in fabricated metals products rose 1.44 percent from April through September, according to the jobs report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics released on Oct. 5. That compares favorably with the increase for overall manufacturing (0.70 percent) and the overall private sector (0.76 percent). In the machinery sector, another big consumer of metal, jobs increased by 1.29 percent over the period.

Those are the numbers. The question is what to make of them. To Alan Tonelson—who blogs on trade at RealityChek, supports the tariffs, and pointed out the data in a press release—they’re encouraging. “These jobs figures place [the] burden of proof on the pessimists,” he wrote. Even if it’s true that many metal consumers are still buying under contracts that precede the tariffs, he asks, “why would metals users keep hiring robustly if they were certain they’d face devastating price hikes down the road?”

For now, though, Tonelson is crowing. Friday’s job figures “once again expose as nonsense the long string of news reports claiming that President Trump’s metals tariffs are already causing tremendous damage to American domestic metals-using industries,” he wrote on his blog.

20 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Speaking as somebody who lived through the 2008 crash, I can't take this too terribly seriously.  That was a Cat 5.  This is a summer rain.

If only this was the worst of it.

more winning....

Catherine Rampell‏Verified account @crampell

BMW executive said China’s tariffs will cost its plant in South Carolina about $347 million in lost earnings this year; meanwhile Volvo considers moving some production from SC to China

12 minutes ago, Banger said:

finally...

The Hill‏Verified account @thehill

White House shelves plan to prop up coal and nuclear power plants at risk of closure: report http://hill.cm/l6lxSj2

I'm completely shocked that Trump would use coal miners as a cheap pawn to get votes.