What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TRADE THREAD- President Trump signs Phase One of China agreement, China promises to double its purchases in 2020 (5 Viewers)

Never fear:

Walter Bloomberg @DeItaOne

ROSS SAYS THERE IS ALWAYS A CHANCE OF A BREAKTHROUGH THAT COULD IMPACT DEC 15 TARIFFS -CNBC

9:24 AM · Dec 3, 2019
Trump said nothing will be done until after the election. LET THE THREATS OF NOT RE ELECTING HIM BEGIN! 

This is not supposed to be a presidential power. This should be impeachable on it's own. The balance of power between the branches need to be restored. 
Congress gave this power to the president a long time ago.  They can take it back if they want and no way using a power given to him is impeachable.  

Between 40 and 60% of all "day trades" are made by algorithms on computer hardware sitting in a building next to the trade floor.  
Sounds like there needs to be an infinitesimal tax on stock trades.  That's at least as good a way to generate funds as increasing tariffs.

Never fear:

Walter Bloomberg @DeItaOne

ROSS SAYS THERE IS ALWAYS A CHANCE OF A BREAKTHROUGH THAT COULD IMPACT DEC 15 TARIFFS -CNBC

9:24 AM · Dec 3, 2019
William Valentine @Tradingplaces

Hey, we’re losing all our damn money, and Christmas is around the corner, and I ain’t gonna have no money to buy my son the G.I. Joe with the kung-fu grip! And my wife ain’t gonna f… my wife ain’t gonna make love to me if I got no money!

9:24 AM - Sept 16, 1983

Sounds like there needs to be an infinitesimal tax on stock trades.  That's at least as good a way to generate funds as increasing tariffs.
Hey, I'm a trader so I kindly ask: You shut your mouth :) .  Besides, our national coffers are over-flowing with the money we're making off the Chinese from these tariffs.  Trump told me so.

Today’s headline in Education Week: “No, Students Don’t Need Grades”  Link

And it’s not a new idea... 2017 NYT headline: “No Grades, No Failing, No Hurry” Link

My take is even the schools themselves do not want to be graded against a standard or compared with each other or other countries.

Editor’s Note: This Commentary is part of a special report exploring game-changing trends and innovations that have the potential to shake up the schoolhouse.
Does that appear to you to be a description of what educators generally want?

Are they moving to other assessment methods besides A-F  letter grades? Link

The question I have is do they think letter grades is one reason why students are not learning as much?  And are we seeing improvements with the new 
With the A-F assessment model, students scoring Ds are advanced.

In mastery based, a student does not advance until reaching mastery. Here, grades are replaced with an assessment of Emerging, Progressing, Partial Mastery,  and Mastery (different rubric scales) based upon a rubric created by the teacher. 

Sample essay rubric

https://www.inacol.org/news/global-highlights-a-scan-of-high-performing-countries-using-elements-of-competency-based-education/

Trump admin still looking at whether or if/how to impose auto tariffs

“We’ve been having negotiations with the individual companies. We’ve had some very good benefits from that,” Ross told Reuters in New York. “It may or may not turn out that there is any need for the tariff.”

U.S. President Donald Trump did not announce any new tariffs after a six-month, self-imposed review period expired in mid-November following a Commerce Department “Section 232” investigation into whether imported autos pose a national security threat. He has threatened to tax them by as much as 25%.

Asked if there was a new deadline, Ross referred to a White House statement last month that did not include a new deadline.
Senator Pat Toomey, a Pennsylvania Republican, said Tuesday in response to Ross’ comments that the Commerce Department would need to a launch a new investigation before it could impose the tariffs.

VWs & Toyotas don’t pose a nat’l security threat. The window to levy 232 tariffs on foreign autos is closed. If @CommerceGov wants to impose punitive taxes on Americans who buy foreign cars, they must launch a new investigation. Congress should reassert authority over 232 tariffs,” Toomey wrote on Twitter.
Bolded emphasis mine

That digital tax the French are putting in place? Boris is in favor

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he would press ahead with new taxes on U.S internet giants like Facebook and Google, putting him at odds with U.S. President Trump who has threatened retaliation against France over its digital tax plans.

“On the digital services tax, I do think we need to look at the operation of the big digital companies and the huge revenues they have in this country and the amount of tax that they pay,” Johnson said on Tuesday, according to a BBC report.

“We need to sort that out. They need to make a fairer contribution.”

Johnson’s Conservative Party has committed to implementing a digital service tax on the revenue of companies such as Google, Facebook and Amazon in its blueprint for government if it wins this month’s national election.

Under the plan, tech companies that generate at least 500 million pounds($640 million) a year in global revenue will pay a levy of 2% of the money they make from UK users from April 2020.

France’s digital service tax, which has been set at a rate of 3% of revenue derived from French users backdated to early 2019, has raised the ire of Trump.
Digital leeches....

China warns U.S. over Uighur bill, raising doubts over early trade deal

China warned on Wednesday that U.S. legislation calling for a tougher response to Beijing’s treatment of its Uighur Muslim minority will affect bilateral cooperation, clouding prospects for a near-term deal to end a trade war.

Expectations of a quick deal had receded already, after U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that it might take until late 2020 to reach agreement.

Approval by the U.S. House of Representatives of the Uighur Act of 2019, which still requires passage by the Republican-controlled Senate before being sent to Trump, has angered Beijing and further strained an already testy relationship.

With a new round of U.S. tariffs on Chinese goods scheduled to take effect in less than two weeks, the possibility of another breakdown is growing.

“Do you think if America takes actions to hurt China’s interests we won’t take any action,” Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying told reporters when asked whether the Uighur bill would affect the trade negotiations. “I think any wrong words and deeds must pay the due price.”

Negotiators have continued to work on the trade deal. But sources familiar with the talks say the two sides are still wrangling over the details including whether existing U.S. tariffs on Chinese goods will be removed and how much in additional U.S. agricultural products China will buy.

Bloomberg reported on Wednesday that Washington and Beijing are “moving closer” to agreeing on how much tariffs would be rolled back in an initial trade deal despite the Hong Kong and Xinjiang issues, citing people familiar with the talks.
Next up: Will Mitch McConnell bring this bipartisan deal to a vote in the Senate?

bradyfan said:
What do you think about delisting Chinese stocks off our exchanges?
This is a question I haven't considered.  For trading purposes the more things trade-able the more opportunity I potentially have.

In simple terms - I kind of look at the global economy as a large Jenga Tower.  The foundational blocks contain  things like trade agreements and reasonable fiscal policy.  Sure the tower is leaning and has some issues, but for now is standing.  The issue I have is that Trump and the economic policies of the radical right want to pull out some of the foundational blocks from the bottom of the tower and replace them with blocks at the top of the tower with things like tax cuts in an economic boom, deficit spending and negative interest rates.  In the short term the tower is taller.  And while I can agree the tower is taller, I also believe it is less stable as a result.  I'm of the belief that eventually Trump's economic direction with regards to trade will cause our Jenga Tower to collapse.

China maintains that some U.S. tariffs must be rolled back for a phase one deal

“The Chinese side believes that if the two sides reach a phase one deal, tariffs should be lowered accordingly,” ministry spokesman Gao Feng told reporters, adding that both sides were maintaining close communication.

On a telephone call last week, China’s lead trade negotiator Vice Premier Liu He discussed “core issues of concern” with U.S. Trade representative Robert Lighthizer and U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin.

Completion of a phase one deal between the world’s two biggest economies had been initially expected in November, ahead of a new round of U.S. tariffs set to kick in on Dec. 15, covering about $156 billion of Chinese imports.

On Nov. 7, Gao said China and the United States must simultaneously cancel some existing tariffs on each others’ goods for both sides to reach a phase one trade deal, but how much tariffs should be canceled could be negotiated.

China to waive tariffs on some U.S. soybeans, pork in goodwill gesture

In a positive gesture, China said on Friday that it will waive import tariffs for some soybeans and pork shipments from the United States, as the two sides try to thrash out a broader agreement to defuse their protracted trade war.

The tariff waivers were based on applications by individual firms for U.S. soybeans and pork imports, the finance ministry said in a statement, citing a decision by the country’s cabinet. It did not specify the quantities involved.

China had imposed the levies in response to tariffs launched by Washington over allegations that China steals and forces the transfer of American intellectual property to Chinese firms, known as Section 301. That includes tariffs of 25% on both U.S. soybeans and pork in July 2018 and a further 10% on pork and 5% on soybeans in September this year.

The waiver comes amid negotiations between the United States and China to conclude a ‘phase one’ or interim deal to de-escalate a 17-month trade war that has roiled financial markets, disrupted supply chains and weighed on global economic growth.

A deal had initially been expected last month, but the two sides are said to be still seeking agreement on major issues such as which tariffs to roll back and the size of U.S. farm purchases China is willing to make.

Might as well update the thread with some good news for a change.  The farmer bailout has now eclipsed double what the auto bailout required and there is no mechanism in place for farmers to repay this money.  To be clear, they shouldn't have to pay it back.  This isn't their fault.  This sits squarely on Trump and it's really amazing how he's screwed this up.

Might as well update the thread with some good news for a change.  The farmer bailout has now eclipsed double what the auto bailout required and there is no mechanism in place for farmers to repay this money.  To be clear, they shouldn't have to pay it back.  This isn't their fault.  This sits squarely on Trump and it's really amazing how he's screwed this up.
I wonder how many farmers and people in manufacturing regret their vote for Trump.  He's done almost nothing but hurt them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how many farmers and people in manufacturing regret their vote for Trump.  He's almost nothing but hurt them.
Between this and healthcare, it should be an easy message to articulate during the general debates (if Trump decides to do them).  Should be the message starting now by all those left as candidates.

He saved $5.5 billion over five years by taking away food stamps from 700,000 people. 

He has spent almost $30 billion bailing out farmers from his own tariff war. 

He saved $5.5 billion over five years by taking away food stamps from 700,000 people. 

He has spent almost $30 billion bailing out farmers from his own tariff war. 
Did you also factor in the cost of the Russia Hoax Witch-hunt that ruined many beautiful lives?  I’m sure that balances things out, right?

It's strange, isn't it?  Most farmers I know still plan on voting for Trump.  They're dug in deep.
to me its crazy. I hear things like the temporary pain will be worth it when we get a great new trade deal. 

It's strange, isn't it?  Most farmers I know still plan on voting for Trump.  They're dug in deep.
They're getting bailed out...why wouldn't they vote for him?  The "I just want to make an honest living" mantra was a pretty heavy lift to begin with....if they end up voting for him again after seeing what he's done specifically to him with his elementary trade policy, it pretty much tells us they're full of it.

They're getting bailed out...why wouldn't they vote for him?  The "I just want to make an honest living" mantra was a pretty heavy lift to begin with....if they end up voting for him again after seeing what he's done specifically to him with his elementary trade policy, it pretty much tells us they're full of it.
I suppose it does lend some credence to that conservative mantra that once you are on the governments teats you never want to be weened off them again

Kudlow was just quoted that we're close to a deal with China and although he can't get into details but 12/15 (presumably 2019) is a significant date.  :lmao:

Kudlow was just quoted that we're close to a deal with China and although he can't get into details but 12/15 (presumably 2019) is a significant date.  :lmao:
Well it is....that's when the next round of tariffs goes into effect.  They either will or they won't.  At that point it will become clearer where the US really is on the "power" scale of this whole fiasco.

Yept in my  state farmers love Trump.  They claim China is stealing our GMO seed secrets amoung other things.
That would be odd as they several times have stopped importing from Brazil over concerns that their soybeans were GMO

ETA: I see they changed policy in January. Still not allowed to plant them there so makes little sense to steal it

Yept in my  state farmers love Trump.  They claim China is stealing our GMO seed secrets amoung other things.
They think China is stealing from us things that are illegal to use in China?  What end are they suggesting for the motivation for doing something so dumb?

This is a pretty weak bail out for small family farms.  They are not receiving that much money.  Not only that but many of them wants nothing to do with it.  They don't want hand outs, they want fair market prices so they can make an honest living.  They want the government to be less involved even though they know they have to rely on them.  It's not ideal.

If they vote for him again maybe they are full of it.  I don't understand their thought process on choosing that man as President other than choosing party over all else.

This is a pretty weak bail out for small family farms.  They are not receiving that much money.  Not only that but many of them wants nothing to do with it.  They don't want hand outs, they want fair market prices so they can make an honest living.  They want the government to be less involved even though they know they have to rely on them.  It's not ideal.

If they vote for him again maybe they are full of it.  I don't understand their thought process on choosing that man as President other than choosing party over all else.
I don't disagree that there are exceptions.  My wife's family is a small family farm, so I understand that perspective.  Unfortunately, those folks are getting left by the wayside while the larger farms get made almost whole....ALMOST whole.  Of course, my wife's family is done with Trump.  All of them voted for him...none of them are this time.  So I do believe them when they say they want nothing to do with bailouts.  The ones that are tough to believe when they say that are the ones who are taking and taking and continue to vote for him.  

They think China is stealing from us things that are illegal to use in China?  What end are they suggesting for the motivation for doing something so dumb?
They’re moving toward allowing a GMO market in China.  Obviously due to previous bans they’re behind in this area. At least that’s the speculated reason for the theft, but the Chinese (or at least Chinese nationals) are definitely working to steal GMO information and physical seeds.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-kansas-court-china/chinese-scientist-gets-10-years-in-u-s-prison-over-theft-of-gmo-rice-idUSKCN1HB36A

Another, less likely, theory is that China is working on the ability to weaponize crop disease against genetically modified crops as a military advantage, since GMO crop use in this country has led to severely decreased crop biodiversity.  

Per reporting, on this same day that Nancy Pelosi announced articles of impeachment against President Trump, she is also announcing a breakthrough on his new deal with Canada and Mexico, which would be a significant victory for Trump. 

Users who are viewing this thread