Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
timschochet

TRADE WAR- New tariffs placed on France, Brazil, Argentina

1 hour ago, Sinn Fein said:

:lol:

Jenny Leonard @jendeben · 1h

Scoop from my colleagues in Beijing: China isn’t ready to sign what Trump calls the “phase one” deal without more talks later this month. Beijing also wants commitments prior to signing that the next round of U.S. tariffs, scheduled for Dec. 15, is off.

It’s so weird that they wouldn’t agree that the talks have concluded. No one would have seen that coming from the fact that it isn’t even in writing yet. 

So Trump starts a round of tariffs and China retaliates and now Trump can't even get an agreement to stop that? Art of the Deal!

14 minutes ago, ffldrew said:

So Trump starts a round of tariffs and China retaliates and now Trump can't even get an agreement to stop that? Art of the Deal!

"Trade wars are easy"!

How many times have we seen this crap from Trump?  And people fall for it every time. :lmao: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Slapdash said:

How many times have we seen this crap from Trump?  And people fall for it every time. :lmao: 

Democratic congresswoman Abby Finkenauer from Iowa said the agreement should not be interpreted as a clear win for US farmers. “The President started this fire, and he should not be taking a victory lap over putting only part of that fire out. The markets we took decades to build have been lost to countries like Brazil,” she said in a statement. (During the trade war, with tariffs between the US and China, Chinese buyers have turned to Brazil for many agricultural products like soybeans.)

The previous high for Chinese purchasing of agricultural  commodities was 25 billion in 2014. You don’t make agreements with other countries like Brazil for 18 months during a trade war with the US, build infrastructure in S. America and then say to them “thanks for supplying us with your soybeans but we are now going to go back to the US and buy double the amount of Ag commodities than we ever have before. Ain’t happening folks, get real!

Edited by lazyike

39 minutes ago, lazyike said:

Democratic congresswoman Abby Finkenauer from Iowa said the agreement should not be interpreted as a clear win for US farmers. “The President started this fire, and he should not be taking a victory lap over putting only part of that fire out. The markets we took decades to build have been lost to countries like Brazil,” she said in a statement. (During the trade war, with tariffs between the US and China, Chinese buyers have turned to Brazil for many agricultural products like soybeans.)

The previous high for Chinese purchasing of agricultural  commodities was 25 billion in 2014. You don’t make agreements with other countries like Brazil for 18 months during a trade war with the US, build infrastructure in S. America and then say to them “thanks for supplying us with your soybeans but we are now going to go back to the US and buy double the amount of Ag commodities than we ever have before. Ain’t happening folks, get real!

China very well could make this kind of deal though.  See this thread from one of the better trade experts I read:  https://twitter.com/Brad_Setser/status/1182763704368205824 

27 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

China very well could make this kind of deal though.  See this thread from one of the better trade experts I read:  https://twitter.com/Brad_Setser/status/1182763704368205824 

China purchased about 9 billion last year. That is a lot of value added commodities away from 50 billion. I don’t buy it. 

32 minutes ago, lazyike said:

China purchased about 9 billion last year. That is a lot of value added commodities away from 50 billion. I don’t buy it. 

I think the last comment sums it up.

Kris Shocka 

@KrisShocka

·

Oct 11Replying to

@Brad_Setser

and

@sdonnan

What kind of moron believes anything Trump says. Idiot.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lazyike said:

I don't buy it will happen either, but it could given how China runs their country.   They can also very easily close off other markets when they want. 

3 hours ago, Slapdash said:

I don't buy it will happen either, but it could given how China runs their country.   They can also very easily close off other markets when they want. 

To what end? What do they gain by doing so at this point?

We should probably discuss Trump's trade advisor in here.  Peter Navarro.

Apparently his stock market guru/Harvard alum coauthor for most of his books "Ron Vara" is best friends with John Barron.

Trump's 'China Muse' Has an Imaginary Friend

It's all made up.  Shocking, I know, for such great advice.

• Laughing 1

"Who Is Vara?"

Apparently no one questioned the guy who allegedly rode out a hurricane on a houseboat, but Australian professor Tessa Morris-Suzuki started looking into him and realized the anagram "Ron Vara = Navarro."

Edited by Henry Ford
  • Laughing 1

6 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

We should probably discuss Trump's trade advisor in here.  Peter Navarro.

Apparently his stock market guru/Harvard alum coauthor for most of his books "Ron Vara" is best friends with John Barron.

Trump's 'China Muse' Has an Imaginary Friend

It's all made up.  Shocking, I know, for such great advice.

Really? "Ron Vara"? Did he come up with that name when he was on a timeout here?

1 minute ago, [scooter] said:

Really? "Ron Vara"? Did he come up with that name when he was on a timeout here?

I would assume so.

4 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

Maybe "Jon N. Vestor" was taken.

4 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

I want to see the names he decided against.

Pietro Navarone

Petey Navarre

Re-Pete Navarro

Peter Navarro, Jr.

Ron Vara

17 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

"Who Is Vara?"

Apparently no one questioned the guy who allegedly rode out a hurricane on a houseboat, but Australian professor Tessa Morris-Suzuki started looking into him and realized the anagram "Ron Vara = Navarro."

:lmao: 

10 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

John Barron? 

#BREAKING US imposes record $7.5 billion tariffs on EU

10 minutes ago, Bucky86 said:

Sorry, what?

27 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

You know what they say. If you’re losing a war, best idea is to open up a second front.

It's the longstanding Airbus/Boeing dispute regulated by WTO

4 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

You know what they say. If you’re losing a war, best idea is to open up a second front.

Good rule of advice: if Hitler tried it(in this case the war on two fronts, relax folks), maybe go in another direction.

6 hours ago, msommer said:

It's the longstanding Airbus/Boeing dispute regulated by WTO

Yeah, these tariffs are very different than the ones imposed on China (and for the steel and Aluminum tariffs).  The latter were not done through the WTO, but by Trump waving his magic marker and saying, "I'm imposing these for national security reasons."  Which is obviously bunk.

The EU tariffs are a punishment, arbitrated through the WTO, for illegal EU subsidies for Airbus, which hurt US businesses, especially Boeing.

Edited by The Z Machine

20 hours ago, [scooter] said:

He’s probably just a fan of Mike Vick

2 minutes ago, That one guy said:

He’s probably just a fan of Mike Vick

[NotReallyTrump] I like Mike Vick...but that Ron Mexico is a bad hombre[/NotReallyTrump]

to clarify, that is a satirical non quote I made up..

Edited by sho nuff

9 hours ago, Bucky86 said:

Phase One :robotvoice: complete 

These tariffs will be suspended once, and only if, the G7 submits their attendance RSVPs to Doral.

This is a very bad idea that will very quickly backfire.

2 hours ago, Kal El said:

Good rule of advice: if Hitler tried it(in this case the war on two fronts, relax folks), maybe go in another direction.

Mr. President, your polls are really not going well this winter.  Maybe we should invade Russia in a month or two?

12 minutes ago, Kal El said:

This is a very bad idea that will very quickly backfire.

meh - this has been a long time coming, and very much expected.  I doubt it causes much of a ripple.

Plenty to dump at Trump's feet....this isn't one of those things.  It will be interesting to see if the EU will successfully sue the US for their allegations around propping up Boeing.  I think those hearings start soon.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Plenty to dump at Trump's feet....this isn't one of those things.  It will be interesting to see if the EU will successfully sue the US for their allegations around propping up Boeing.  I think those hearings start soon.

I assume it's through the WTO as well.  You know, the proper way to arbitrate trade disputes between members...

Edited by The Z Machine
  • Like 1

Just now, The Z Machine said:

I assume it's through the WTO as well.  You know, the proper way to arbitrate trade disputes between members...

It is....a ### for tat sort of thing...

5 hours ago, The Commish said:

It is....a ### for tat sort of thing...

:reported:

• Like 1

Read the other day that due to the Swine flu raging in China, pork prices for Danish pork is now the highest since 2000 (this despite the Russian embargo on EU pork and other meats). It is not imposssible that a small thanks is owed to Trump for succesfully keeping the American pork producers from sending pork to this lucrative market. Should that go in the silver inings thread? ;)

Edited by msommer

On 10/24/2019 at 7:13 AM, msommer said:

Read the other day that due to the Swine flu raging in China, pork prices for Danish pork is now the highest since 2000 (this despite the Russian embargo on EU pork and other meats). It is not imposssible that a small thanks is owed to Trump for succesfully keeping the American pork producers from sending pork to this lucrative market. Should that go in the silver inings thread? ;)

1 in 4 pigs raised in the US are owned by a Chinese company.  Said Chinese company qualifies to receive farm aid from Trump for the trade war.

Edited by bradyfan
  • Sad 1

GDP growth in at 1.9% for the quarter. That’s 3 of the last 4 quarters at or under 2%, and the first time in 10 years with two consecutive quarters of lower GDP growth. 

Edited by Henry Ford
  • Thinking 1

Just now, Henry Ford said:

GDP growth in at 1.9% for the quarter. That’s 3 of the last 4 quarters at or under 2%, and the first time in 10 years with two consecutive quarters of lower GDP growth. 

Talking point....removed....in the best economy of our lifetimes allegedly.  Weird.

2 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Fake news. Lying MSM. 

3 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Talking point....removed....in the best economy of our lifetimes allegedly.  Weird.

2 1/2 years of Trump policy, including doubling our deficits.  It may be time to start asking “is this working?”

• Like 1

Business investment is also down 3%. Overall it’s down 11.4% since Trump took over.

5 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

2 1/2 years of Trump policy, including doubling our deficits.  It may be time to start asking “is this working?”

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump 1h1 hour ago

The Greatest Economy in American History!

49 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Its the wrong question - and will lead to the wrong answer.

Of course its not good policy.  But, it is having the desired effect: short-term bump in stock prices.  Sadly, for many, the short-term bump in stock prices means "Its Working, baby!"

• Like 1

Hmm - just saw this:

And now Chile's president has cancelled the APEC summit next month.

This throws the Trump-Xi meeting and "phase one" trade deal signing up into the air.

At the very least, I suppose it creates a delay on the non-existent "phase one" deal until US and China can figure out a different meeting time/place.