What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TRADE THREAD- President Trump signs Phase One of China agreement, China promises to double its purchases in 2020 (3 Viewers)

Listening to Marketplace yesterday evening....China is approx 20% to completion of the agreement they signed in "phase 1".  Oddly enough, the parties made it a two year arrangement.  Once complete, it will be back to the levels it was when Trump took office.  However, currently, they are roughly 9 months behind where they should be if this were to be spread out in equal installments over that 2 years....shocking right?

Listening to Marketplace yesterday evening....China is approx 20% to completion of the agreement they signed in "phase 1".  Oddly enough, the parties made it a two year arrangement.  Once complete, it will be back to the levels it was when Trump took office.  However, currently, they are roughly 9 months behind where they should be if this were to be spread out in equal installments over that 2 years....shocking right?
It's almost like they are waiting it out until November...

It's almost like they are waiting it out until November...
A L M O S T ! ! !  

And "they" here is both sides.  I am absolutely confident it's mutual.  And in the end, the metrics Trump himself set out as indicators for "success" will all be worse than when he got his hands on it.  Every single one.

A L M O S T ! ! !  

And "they" here is both sides.  I am absolutely confident it's mutual.  And in the end, the metrics Trump himself set out as indicators for "success" will all be worse than when he got his hands on it.  Every single one.
Greatest economy ever!*

* Note: any such statements are independent of and unrelated to any actual economic metrics, theories, indicators, or results.

A L M O S T ! ! !  

Trump realizes that he got outplayed by Xi (duh), but can't back away.  All of this was totally predictable.

There's no way the American public will endure the pain that the Chinese government will force upon its citizens, even if the pain for the US is half that for China.  The Chinese people have no levers to pull to change course for their country.  We do, and we will pull that lever well before the Chinese government pulls theirs.
Hmmmm...  seems like China is playing the long game indeed.  Who coulda predicted that?

Seems like this is going well:

Carl Quintanilla @carlquintanilla 7h

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The U.S. trade deficit surged in July to $63.6 billion, the highest level in 12 years, as imports jumped by a record amount.

Seems like this is going well:

Carl Quintanilla @carlquintanilla 7h

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The U.S. trade deficit surged in July to $63.6 billion, the highest level in 12 years, as imports jumped by a record amount.
Have you looked at the trade deficit with China specifically?  :lmao:  

Have you looked at the trade deficit with China specifically?  :lmao:  
The new figures also show an increasing trade deficit with China, despite Mr Trump’s vows to reduce that figure. During the second quarter of 2020, US government figures showed the deficit with China increased $21.4bn to $75.8bn. Mr Trump campaigned in 2016 on getting much tougher on trade with China, and earlier this year struck a limited trade deal with Beijing after a bruising trade war between the two countries. But his actions appear to have had little effect. The US trade deficit in goods with China was $347bn in 2016. By 2019, that was only marginally lower at $345bn.

Behind China — with whom the US had the largest trade deficit over the second quarter — the US recorded a $24.8bn deficit with the EU over the same period, $12bn of which was with Germany.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new figures also show an increasing trade deficit with China, despite Mr Trump’s vows to reduce that figure. During the second quarter of 2020, US government figures showed the deficit with China increased $21.4bn to $75.8bn. Mr Trump campaigned in 2016 on getting much tougher on trade with China, and earlier this year struck a limited trade deal with Beijing after a bruising trade war between the two countries. But his actions appear to have had little effect. The US trade deficit in goods with China was $347bn in 2016. By 2019, that was only marginally lower at $345bn.

Behind China — with whom the US had the largest trade deficit over the second quarter — the US recorded a $24.8bn deficit with the EU over the same period, $12bn of which was with Germany.
THE ONLY THING Trump has done was pass a tax cut that overwhelmingly benefited the very rich.  That's it.  It's why I don't get all of the "I like Trump's policies" from his supporters.  Not only has he done almost nothing, he's gone in the opposite direction on the things he said he would do.

THE ONLY THING Trump has done was pass a tax cut that overwhelmingly benefited the very rich.  That's it.  It's why I don't get all of the "I like Trump's policies" from his supporters.  Not only has he done almost nothing, he's gone in the opposite direction on the things he said he would do.
The other thing I don't get is the "Biden will tank the economy with his policies" shtick.  Doesn't make sense.  He wants to roll back the tax cuts Trump passed.  If people will remember, companies were smokin' at the time, so much so that once the cuts came and they had the extra money, they decided to buy back their own stock.  It was absolutely ridiculous, but people are somehow afraid of going back to that policy?  Logic can't be found in many of these positions.

The other thing I don't get is the "Biden will tank the economy with his policies" shtick.  Doesn't make sense.  He wants to roll back the tax cuts Trump passed.  If people will remember, companies were smokin' at the time, so much so that once the cuts came and they had the extra money, they decided to buy back their own stock.  It was absolutely ridiculous, but people are somehow afraid of going back to that policy?  Logic can't be found in many of these positions.
After my hiatus it is refreshing to see that water, indeed, still is wet

"Standing up to China" is big one and something his supporters point to as a huge victory and how they love his policies. 

There's a problem though, he made it significantly worse.

US trade deficit up to $67.1 billion in August, 14-year high

Plus this

Trump’s Trade War Cost U.S. Company Stock Prices $1.7 Trillion

Plus this

The release of $3.6 billion in trade war payments brings the total for tariff payments to farmers on 2019 production to $14.5 billion.

That's a MASSIVE failure but somehow in this upside down bizzaro world be are living in, it's a victory in the minds of some.

Thought this could be an interesting read, but unfortunately it's behind a paywall and I only have access to the first paragraph. Anybody know of a way to read the entire article (the old Incognito trick doesn't work anymore)? 

WSJ: China Trade War Didn’t Boost U.S. Manufacturing Might

Headline: China Trade War Didn’t Boost U.S. Manufacturing Might

Subheadline: Factory production peaked in 2018, data show; Trump advisers say tariff campaign will yield benefits over time

President Trump’s trade war against China didn’t achieve the central objective of reversing a U.S. decline in manufacturing, economic data show, despite tariffs on hundreds of billions of dollars of Chinese goods to discourage imports.

The tariffs did succeed in reducing the trade deficit with China in 2019, but the overall U.S. trade imbalance was bigger than ever that year and has continued climbing, soaring to a record $84 billion in August as U.S. importers shifted to cheaper sources of goods from Vietnam, Mexico...

"Think of your children pledging allegiance to the maple leaf. Mayonnaise on everything. Winter 11 months of the year. Anne Murray, all day, every day."

“The Canadians. They walk among us. William Shatner. Michael J. Fox. Monty Hall. Mike Meyers. Alex Trebek. All of them Canadians. All of them here.”

“Canadians are always dreaming up a lotta ways to ruin our lives. The metric system, for the love of God! Celsius! Neil Young!”
We do apologize for Nickelback though.

Thought this could be an interesting read, but unfortunately it's behind a paywall and I only have access to the first paragraph. Anybody know of a way to read the entire article (the old Incognito trick doesn't work anymore)? 

WSJ: China Trade War Didn’t Boost U.S. Manufacturing Might

Headline: China Trade War Didn’t Boost U.S. Manufacturing Might

Subheadline: Factory production peaked in 2018, data show; Trump advisers say tariff campaign will yield benefits over time

President Trump’s trade war against China didn’t achieve the central objective of reversing a U.S. decline in manufacturing, economic data show, despite tariffs on hundreds of billions of dollars of Chinese goods to discourage imports.

The tariffs did succeed in reducing the trade deficit with China in 2019, but the overall U.S. trade imbalance was bigger than ever that year and has continued climbing, soaring to a record $84 billion in August as U.S. importers shifted to cheaper sources of goods from Vietnam, Mexico...
I can't get to it either, but it doesn't seem like it's something new that we haven't discussed.  It's only a surprise to this administration that tariffs and this "war" is not working in our favor.  They were ALWAYS going to say "well, it would have worked if you just waited long enough" while ignoring all the pain the short term is causing business owners here.  You can go back to the beginning and middle of this thread and I'd be willing to bet all the things in this article are mentioned in some form there.  It was clear in March/April of 2019 the "benefits" of this admin's actions had run their course....it was slightly longer than the "benefits" from the tax cuts.

I was waiting for this thread to get bumped :lmao:

It's 50D chess when not only do they fulfill their end of the deal, but the trade deficit increases AND people think the master negotiator "won".  :lol:  

China is laughing at us right now...let's see if the new guy can do any better....that's a REALLY low bar, but I still have my doubts.  

I was waiting for this thread to get bumped :lmao:

It's 50D chess when not only do they fulfill their end of the deal, but the trade deficit increases AND people think the master negotiator "won".  :lol:  

China is laughing at us right now...let's see if the new guy can do any better....that's a REALLY low bar, but I still have my doubts.  
USA trade deficit with China:

2017  -375,167

2018  -418,954

2019  -345,204

2020  -310,800

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c5700.html

so where am I going wrong here as looks like the deficit shrunk?

USA trade deficit with China:

2017  -375,167

2018  -418,954

2019  -345,204

2020  -310,800

so where am I going wrong here as looks like the deficit shrunk?
Keep going back....remember the Obama years that were an unmitigated "disaster"? If you don't want to do that, do you really consider "getting back to standard after two years of increase above the standard" to be an accomplishment?  

The Commish said:
Keep going back....remember the Obama years that were an unmitigated "disaster"? If you don't want to do that, do you really consider "getting back to standard after two years of increase above the standard" to be an accomplishment?  

well last two years of Obama:

2015  -367,328

2016  -346,825

last year of Trump:

2020  -310.800

I guess I don't see the reason for all the outrage against Trump based on the numbers.

Obama's average - 322

Trump's average - 362
well, Trump started the war with China in the middle of 2018 so both countries took a stance and as a result it went up for 2018 & 2019.   I can see that.   Trumps last year of -310 seems at least to me that his war was a success in that in his last year the deficit was lower than any year of Obama's presidency.

well, Trump started the war with China in the middle of 2018 so both countries took a stance and as a result it went up for 2018 & 2019.   I can see that.   Trumps last year of -310 seems at least to me that his war was a success in that in his last year the deficit was lower than any year of Obama's presidency.
I think you need to dive into the link a little more.  Obama's first 2 years were 273 and 295.

I think you need to dive into the link a little more.  Obama's first 2 years were 273 and 295.
sorry, I meant his last four years which I think is more updated & relevant.

yes & in Obama's last four years:

2013:  -318,683

2014:  -344,817

2015:  -367,328

2016:  -346,825

So maybe Trump's last year with china's trade deficit at -310,800 looks pretty good.   Not?

Obama never had a lower deficit number in 8 years than in Trump's last year.  correcto or am I missing something or do I need to "dive into the link a little deeper"?

sorry, I meant his last four years which I think is more updated & relevant.

yes & in Obama's last four years:

2013:  -318,683

2014:  -344,817

2015:  -367,328

2016:  -346,825

So maybe Trump's last year with china's trade deficit at -310,800 looks pretty good.   Not?

Obama never had a lower deficit number in 8 years than in Trump's last year.  correcto or am I missing something or do I need to "dive into the link a little deeper"?
I really don't understand what you're saying.  I get the first part about only comparing Obama's last 4 years with Trumps 4 years, but then at the end you say:

"Obama never had a lower deficit number in 8 years than in Trump's last year.  correcto or am I missing something or do I need to "dive into the link a little deeper"?"

That is completely wrong.  In Obama's first 2 years of his 8 years he had lower numbers.

Or are you saying that in the last 8 years Trump had the lowest deficit at 310?

What it tells me is that even a trade war and tariffs that upended a bunch of supply chains couldn't really put a dent in the trade gap with China.  That means it's structural and therefore not something unwound quickly.

What it tells me is that even a trade war and tariffs that upended a bunch of supply chains couldn't really put a dent in the trade gap with China.  That means it's structural and therefore not something unwound quickly.
Yes, there are a lot of structural components that go into relative trade balances.

We also shouldn't think of trade deficits as inherently problematic. My point was more that we had a bunch of costly tariffs (not just with China) that didn't even address the "problem" they were purported to solved.

Yep, slave labor tends to drive down the cost of production and gives that structural advantage.

well last two years of Obama:

2015  -367,328

2016  -346,825

last year of Trump:

2020  -310.800

I guess I don't see the reason for all the outrage against Trump based on the numbers.
Make no mistake...there's no "outrage".  We can look at the trends and see the "unmitigated disaster" of Obama isn't significantly different than "the best ever job a President has done ever against China".  And please, whatever we do, please ignore that the entire world was shut down for a good part of the 2020 numbers...that has NOTHING to do with the number.  It's almost like there's a billion moving parts that make these numbers what they are.

I really don't understand what you're saying.  I get the first part about only comparing Obama's last 4 years with Trumps 4 years, but then at the end you say:

"Obama never had a lower deficit number in 8 years than in Trump's last year.  correcto or am I missing something or do I need to "dive into the link a little deeper"?"

That is completely wrong.  In Obama's first 2 years of his 8 years he had lower numbers.

Or are you saying that in the last 8 years Trump had the lowest deficit at 310?
no,  said it wrong.  meant to compare Obama's last 4 years which are more relevant to me as shows not what he inherited but how his trade policy evolved.  so Trump's last year was -310,800 which is low & indicates that his trade negotiations were successful.

Yes, Obama's first two years were lower but he had 6 more years to do better or status quo but it didn't,  it went up a lot.

just looking a numbers as I certainly don't know much about the inner workings of the deficit.

it took Trump 1 1/2 years to get it to -310,800.  That number looks pretty good compared to the numbers he took over from the previous administration.

Make no mistake...there's no "outrage".  We can look at the trends and see the "unmitigated disaster" of Obama isn't significantly different than "the best ever job a President has done ever against China".  And please, whatever we do, please ignore that the entire world was shut down for a good part of the 2020 numbers...that has NOTHING to do with the number.  It's almost like there's a billion moving parts that make these numbers what they are.
pretty true.

That was never going to happen. China buys whereever they get the best deal. His minions believe him being a billionare makes him this awesome trade negotiator. A dude that has experienced 6 bankrupties in his business dealings and other failed adventures is no smarter with  his fabricated "art of the deal" than many others. Hit and miss real estate investments and stiffing many people for their work along the way doesn't make you a genius.

That was never going to happen. China buys whereever they get the best deal. His minions believe him being a billionare makes him this awesome trade negotiator. A dude that has experienced 6 bankrupties in his business dealings and other failed adventures is no smarter with  his fabricated "art of the deal" than many others. Hit and miss real estate investments and stiffing many people for their work along the way doesn't make you a genius.

Add in this and tariffs and how much has this contributed to inflation.

Users who are viewing this thread