What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tyrod Taylor Traded To The Browns (1 Viewer)

Interesting. Cleveland is certainly working the phones. Not just going to throw money around and make draft picks. Don't know if it will come altogether but it is fun to see them make these moves.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
He is the veteran that will hold the seat warm until the rookie is ready...smart move...get that move out of the way right away...be interesting to see if they move Kizer...

Does this all but ensure Saquon 1.01 and best QB available at 4? They have done some serious revamp work here.

Does this all but ensure Saquon 1.01 and best QB available at 4? They have done some serious revamp work here.
I don't think they can just go best available QB...they need to get "their guy"...if there are 3 QBs between Mayfield/Allen/Darnold/Jackson that they are comfortable with being "their guy" than can do Barkley at #1...but the bottom-line is no matter how good Barkley is the Browns are not gonna move forward until they solve their long-term QB issue...they can not get cute...they need to hit on the QB...

I think its possible it could take QB off the board in round 1 in general. Taylor is a pretty big get. If they just wanted a bridge QB, they could have brought McCown back, or maybe ponied up for Bradford. 

Isn't Kizer super young? 19? They should just keep him and see what happens

Nevermind, I see the trade now

Last edited by a moderator:
I am surprised the pick was that high. I would've thought a mid 4th would've been the most he would've gone for. 

Isn't Kizer super young? 19? They should just keep him and see what happens

Nevermind, I see the trade now
I didn't like Kizer before the draft last year but it's somewhat surprising to see them give him up this quick. I guess Randall is a solid corner but still. It might have been worthwhile to see Kizer behind Taylor for a year. Spend the 1 and 4 on Barkley and Chubb. 

65th pick. Oof 

as an an eagles fan, have to like how this sets the market for Foles 
I know the Browns have a lot of draft capital, but don't just throw it away.  65 is a prime pick and with the money he was owed, seems they could have gotten him much cheaper. 

Don't get this move at all

I would go with Kizer over Tierod. 

Thought the Browns were in great shape but it looks like they are going to screw this up again.
I like getting TT and booting Kiser who is always going to be a turnover machine. I don't care for the price much but definitely wouldn't say they screwed up today.

Never got the Tyrod hate. Hes not Brady but he always completes better than 60% and always has a 3-1 TD-INT ratio. Hes probably atleast as good as anyone else available outside Cousins, who wasn't coming to Cleveland.

I would go with Kizer over Tierod. 

Thought the Browns were in great shape but it looks like they are going to screw this up again.
I'd take kizer on rookie deal over Taylor no question. Neither are the future. Neither knows how to read coverage or how to throw with anticipation. Kizer will try to make something out of nothing. Tyrod won't throw the ball unless the wr is running wide open. I'd have went mccown reunion.

Somewhere John Lynch has to be smiling ear to ear.  

Never got the Tyrod hate. Hes not Brady but he always completes better than 60% and always has a 3-1 TD-INT ratio. Hes probably atleast as good as anyone else available outside Cousins, who wasn't coming to Cleveland.
He won’t throw the ball except to wide open guys. No anticipation or tight window throws. His stats look better than watching him play.

Just a horrible move only the browns would make.

I'd take kizer on rookie deal over Taylor no question. Neither are the future. Neither knows how to read coverage or how to throw with anticipation. Kizer will try to make something out of nothing. Tyrod won't throw the ball unless the wr is running wide open. I'd have went mccown reunion.

Somewhere John Lynch has to be smiling ear to ear.  
Is pretty amazing 49ers got Garappolo for not even a round higher.

I like Tyrod, he’s been a solid young qb that gets little respect. Even when he was benched this year (when playoff bound at the time) he said/did the right things. He’s been throwing to one of the least talented receiving corps and has respectable numbers. He’s like Alex smith only he throws it well deep and has trouble on the other stuff. What has dak Prescott done that Tyrod hasn’t? Maybe put up better fantasy numbers. 

I like Tyrod, he’s been a solid young qb that gets little respect. Even when he was benched this year (when playoff bound at the time) he said/did the right things. He’s been throwing to one of the least talented receiving corps and has respectable numbers. He’s like Alex smith only he throws it well deep and has trouble on the other stuff. What has dak Prescott done that Tyrod hasn’t? Maybe put up better fantasy numbers. 
He is definitely a humble guy that is incredibly professional and a great team leader. He is also maligned unfairly at times. He is an elite QB in some areas...BUT...he also has significant limitations in other areas as well.

He has a good completion percentage, and I believe, still holds the record for lowest INT percentage for any qualified QB in NFL history. He is crazy fast and elusive and has the ability to turn broken plays into huge chunk plays. His arm is pretty good and he can make some crazy tight window throws.

BUT, he is short and has had a difficult time throwing consistently over the middle of the field. He also tends to struggle after the first or second read. He is not an anticipation thrower and it leads to him being inaccurate many times or simply not even throwing the ball because he is too afraid to turn it over and he misses open windows. It has been frustrating to see recaps by Bills reporters/bloggers/analysts week after week after week showing wide open receivers that he doesn't throw the ball too either because he saw them covered and never brought his progression back to them or because he just didn't trust throwing it down field or something. And while he is great at getting out of crazy pressure situations, sometimes he takes terrible sacks because he just doesn't pull the trigger when he should.

And I'm not sure it's right to say that he didn't have receivers. His receivers have definitely dealt with some injury issues here and there, but Robert Woods, Sammy Watkins, Marquisse Goodwin and Chris Hogan have all moved on to other teams and elevated their performance by decent amounts.

On the flip side, Buffalo's offense was decent when they tailored it to him. He needs a creative OC that will mold the offense to him and his talents. Rick Dennison did not do that last year and the results were terrible. If you give him the offense the Texans ran with Watson, he could be decent.

The real bottom line with Tyrod is that he'll keep you in games but he won't win them for you. I think the Bills won just 1 or 2 games under Tyrod where they were ever down by 7+ points. It's disheartening as a fan to see your team go down by as little as a touchdown and know that the game is basically over.

He is definitely a humble guy that is incredibly professional and a great team leader. He is also maligned unfairly at times. He is an elite QB in some areas...BUT...he also has significant limitations in other areas as well.

He has a good completion percentage, and I believe, still holds the record for lowest INT percentage for any qualified QB in NFL history. He is crazy fast and elusive and has the ability to turn broken plays into huge chunk plays. His arm is pretty good and he can make some crazy tight window throws.

BUT, he is short and has had a difficult time throwing consistently over the middle of the field. He also tends to struggle after the first or second read. He is not an anticipation thrower and it leads to him being inaccurate many times or simply not even throwing the ball because he is too afraid to turn it over and he misses open windows. It has been frustrating to see recaps by Bills reporters/bloggers/analysts week after week after week showing wide open receivers that he doesn't throw the ball too either because he saw them covered and never brought his progression back to them or because he just didn't trust throwing it down field or something. And while he is great at getting out of crazy pressure situations, sometimes he takes terrible sacks because he just doesn't pull the trigger when he should.

And I'm not sure it's right to say that he didn't have receivers. His receivers have definitely dealt with some injury issues here and there, but Robert Woods, Sammy Watkins, Marquisse Goodwin and Chris Hogan have all moved on to other teams and elevated their performance by decent amounts.

On the flip side, Buffalo's offense was decent when they tailored it to him. He needs a creative OC that will mold the offense to him and his talents. Rick Dennison did not do that last year and the results were terrible. If you give him the offense the Texans ran with Watson, he could be decent.

The real bottom line with Tyrod is that he'll keep you in games but he won't win them for you. I think the Bills won just 1 or 2 games under Tyrod where they were ever down by 7+ points. It's disheartening as a fan to see your team go down by as little as a touchdown and know that the game is basically over.
Browns are still drafting a QB. Tyrod will get them a few wins which will be more than the browns have had in years.  

Browns are still drafting a QB. Tyrod will get them a few wins which will be more than the browns have had in years.  
Do you think they are getting one with their first 2 picks?

And if they are just shooting for .500 while the new qb gets his sea legs then why give up a 3rd just for that?  Arent there a ton of qb's out there that can get you 4-6 wins if thats the goal?

The Landry deal makes more sense to me after sleeping on it, still dont like the salary he will demand but its okay but the TT deal is a head scratcher and judging by the articles this morning most people feel the same

We’ll see. I would hope they do but I could see them doing any number of things. They could easily trade back, take defense with both picks, take barkley and Nelson, take def and barkley, trade back at both spots. If Denver misses out on cousins, do they go all in for their pick of qbs? Would cle be in terrible shape if they did any of the above? They could move back from 1 and pick up a 2019 1st and probably more, they could move back from 4 and pick up another and more. I know at some point you have to field a team to win, but I were a browns fan and they went this route and picked at say 5 and 11 (that ms Arizona I think) and pick up more early 2nds and picks for next year, they still add talent and have more ammo to load up in talent, much like the harbaugh led 49ers we’re doing before the divorce. I know this isn’t a dynasty league, but you can parlay those blue chip picks into more and more down the road you end up in good shape, theoretically. I suppose if we see Tyrod get an extension in the next week or two we will have a signal towards what they do in the draft. 

Waaaay too rich a pick for him. Even if he weren't on the last year of his deal.
I know the browns have a ton of picks - and I defended them in the Landry thread for that reason- but this deal makes no sense. Why give a valuable pick for a below average QB when they could have just signed a bridge QB in fee agency?

I guess when you think about it they might just start him and not draft a QB with their first two picks.  Would def fall in line with how they do things

I guess when you think about it they might just start him and not draft a QB with their first two picks.  Would def fall in line with how they do things
Having two top 4 picks and coming away with Tyrod Taylor as your franchise QB would fall in line with how they did things in the past - also know as “the Browns being the Browns”. I would hope Dorsey is better than that.

His receiving talent was always young and banged up. Goodwin rehabbed his value on the last 5 games with jimmy, let’s not pretend he’s suddenly this great wr. Woods had a nice year and was fairly consistent in buffalo as the #2. Watkins was injured but showed some flashes when healthy. Hogan went to the pats and fit in, I doubt he puts up similar numbers on different teams. Last year he had castoffs Mathews and Benji, two guys I’ve never really liked. I don’t think the other guys like woods and hogan looking better is really T-Mobile’s fault. 

I don’t think coming off an 0-16 season and playing in Cleveland really is appealing to free agents. Being a Detroit fan, I know it’s hard to lure free agents in any sport (except hockey) when the city isn’t as great a destination as say Miami Beach. So hoping to lure cousins or keenum may backfire. Personally I’d rather Tyrod than Bradford. You really want to tell the fan base that they’re back to McCown? McCarron might stifle a rookie because of history with the coach and is unproven. 

I think the weird thing here is that the Browns have on paper a pretty nice WR trio but they have taken on a QB who doesn't particularly like to lean on his WRs.

If the Browns can get him to throw the ball they got a steal. Witness the game IN Seattle a few years ago. 

He threw it all over the place and lit it up. 

Then reverted to.......not doing that. 

He has all the ability, maybe a change of scenery will help. 

Do you think they are getting one with their first 2 picks?

And if they are just shooting for .500 while the new qb gets his sea legs then why give up a 3rd just for that?  Arent there a ton of qb's out there that can get you 4-6 wins if thats the goal?

The Landry deal makes more sense to me after sleeping on it, still dont like the salary he will demand but its okay but the TT deal is a head scratcher and judging by the articles this morning most people feel the same
That's the part that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. There are going to be quite a few average-ish QBs in free agency, (and would have probably included Taylor in a week), that they could have grabbed as bridge QBs and given up no draft picks for. 

The only way this really makes sense to me is if the Browns intend on drafting a QB at 1 or 4 but also think Tyrod could be a franchise QB. That way you take two swings at the QB, one young and one a veteran who may not have always been best utilized, and you hope one or both pan out.

There are some rumblings that the Browns don't really love any of the QBs in this draft. If they pass up drafting a QB, I think that would be a huge mistake. They've been looking for a franchise QB since freaking Otto Graham. They've traded down multiple times over the last few years and passed up a whole lot of QBs that have ended up being really good. If you just keep passing them all up because you don't 100% love them, then you're assuring that you will never get that franchise QB. The only sure way to fail at drafting a franchise QB is to never draft a QB.

The only way this really makes sense to me is if the Browns intend on drafting a QB at 1 or 4 but also think Tyrod could be a franchise QB. That way you take two swings at the QB, one young and one a veteran who may not have always been best utilized, and you hope one or both pan out.
They don't think McCarron or Taylor are franchise QBs. They traded a 3rd to get a starter on a 1-year deal. What is worse, giving Mike Glennon 45m to start a couple games or giving up a 3rd to get Taylor on a cheap deal. If Taylor works out (by works out I mean they are 500 or a wild card team) they can franchise him next year, still cheaper than signing McCarron.

Consider that the Texans had to give up a 2nd just to get out from under the Osweiler contract. Trading for Taylor lets them fix "starting QB" without any negative consequences.

They will still draft a rookie. They will give Hue a legitimate shot at passing the Bengals/Ravens this year. It was an overpay but they are playing with house money and found an easy way to improve their team without doing any harm.

(Cue news of them extending Taylor for 5 years.)

That's the part that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. There are going to be quite a few average-ish QBs in free agency, (and would have probably included Taylor in a week), that they could have grabbed as bridge QBs and given up no draft picks for. 

There are some rumblings that the Browns don't really love any of the QBs in this draft. If they pass up drafting a QB, I think that would be a huge mistake. They've been looking for a franchise QB since freaking Otto Graham. They've traded down multiple times over the last few years and passed up a whole lot of QBs that have ended up being really good. If you just keep passing them all up because you don't 100% love them, then you're assuring that you will never get that franchise QB. The only sure way to fail at drafting a franchise QB is to never draft a QB.
They don't want to compete in free agency because they are taking a rookie QB #1 and only needed a bridge who they don't have to extend or throw more money to than three or four other teams competing for their services in FA.

They get Tyrod on basically a one-year deal.  He is the bridge QB that they didn't have to give an extension to, they didn't have to beat three or four other teams by offering a huge guarantee or long term deal.  They are not winning anyone over by their record or offensive cast so they would have been forced to overpay and offer a long term contract.  This way they pay a large amount for one year and keep five picks in the first two rounds.  

If they didn't make this deal who would they be forced to sign to a long term contract?  Keenum?  Teddy?  McCarron?  Think about what they would have had to do if they did not make this deal and it begins to make sense.

The bar is pretty low for the Browns and Lions.
Tyrod Taylor IS an improvement over this:

------------------------------------------------------

Russell S. Baxter‏ @BaxFootballGuru 9m9 minutes ago

NUMBERS TO CONSIDER QB Deshone Kizer:

11 TD passes, 28 TURNOVERS (22 INT, 6 lost fumbles) in 15 games with #Browns in ’17

QB Tyrod Taylor: Incl. playoffs,

51 TD passes, 22 TURNOVERS (17 INT, 5 lost fumbles), 14 rush TD in 45 games with #Bills from 2015-17

I think the weird thing here is that the Browns have on paper a pretty nice WR trio but they have taken on a QB who doesn't particularly like to lean on his WRs.
I think the doesn't throw to WR's thing is a myth. He hasn't had WR's who have been able to stay healthy at any point. Watkins was putting up high end WR1 numbers down the stretch in 2015. Gordon/Landry/Coleman is BY FAR the best trio he's had. 

Its early, but Taylor looks like a good fantasy option for the late round QB crowd.

Users who are viewing this thread