What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

First album you ever bought. (1 Viewer)

Spike Jones, Thank You, Music Lovers. Only album i ever literally wore out. Our neighbor, Joe Iarocci, played this classic parody album at a grownup party kids were allowed to attend for some reason & it was love at first sound. Then i saw the album cover looked like Mad Magazine and i just HAD to have it. Me Ma would have none of the burps & whistles & raspberries & Beetlebum racecalls in her house, so i went to my Auntie Glo - who would deny her godson nothing and whose funeral i sang the communion hymn at just a coupla months ago - and she took me to the record shop. I was usually an excellent sneak, but my pure love of Doodles Weaver's "giddlygee"s betrayed me pretty quickly on this occasion. Took my whoopin', memorized that ####er and can perform every note & sound of it to this day.

My first rock purchase was Beach Boys, Little Deuce Coupe

Last edited by a moderator:
1st that I bought on my own was probably Led Zeppelin ll.

1st that I can remember my parents buying for me was The Monkees, Headquarters.

Simon and Garfunkel - The concert in Central Park 

Billy Joel - Songs in the Attic

I got both those cassettes from that silly Columbia House deal.

The first vinyl was REO Speedwagon - Hi Infidelity

I remember going to big box stores with my buddies, maybe K-Mart or something (this was way before Best Buy or Wallmart existed), and trying to get records for cheap. We would go to the discount bin and carefully peel off the "$2.99" sticker from the album cover, then place it over the price tag of a new release record we wanted. Then we'd go to a checkout counter with an old lady working the register, assuming she'd have no idea about new music.  It was a simple but great scheme.  Most of the stickers were designed to not peel off in one piece, but some were easy to get off intact with enough stick left on them to re-use.  I got Back in Black that way on the cheap.  We got busted many times, but this was the upper midwest in the 70's/80's, so they just chased us out of the store.

-OZ- said:
I mostly borrowed my sister's albums until she went to college (she's 3 years older than me) and i recorded a lot off the radio. 

First I bought was U2 War. 

First album (cassette) I remember getting as a gift, Cooleyhighharmony, Boyz II Men. 

First CD: red hot chili peppers, what hits!?
Sounds like a 1980s version of Almost Famous

jamny said:
Probably album for most of us, CD for some others.

First one I ever bought was Zeppelin III

My friend had Zeppelin IV and after I heard it I had to have it. I went to the record store and all they had was III, so I bought it.

Still my favorite Zeppelin album.
and BTW, I sold all of my albums about 10 years ago but kept III

A little more on the music subject growing up...

My parents weren't big music consumers. I remember they had maybe 20-25 records. There were The Eagles, Steve Miller Band, John Prine, Stray Cats, Elvis, and Johnny Paycheck  among others. When cassettes rolled in I remember them buying a few Alabama and similar bands. I remember watching the music awards and hearing U2. They bought The Joshua Tree.

My first cassette choices after Huey Lewis were bands like Def Leppard and Bon Jovi. 

When CDs came around I thought my friend Chad was the coolest with his Sony CD Walkman and huge stack of CDs he'd bring to school. Like most I did the BMG record club deals and started building a collection. Pearl Jam in 12th grade. More grunge as a freshman in college. Also started "discovering" alot of 60s and 70s classic rock like Zeppelin etc etc. 

A little more on the music subject growing up...

My parents weren't big music consumers. I remember they had maybe 20-25 records. There were The Eagles, Steve Miller Band, John Prine, Stray Cats, Elvis, and Johnny Paycheck  among others.
Sunday was house cleaning day, and there was always music coming from the big console stereo that took up most of one wall.  If mom got to it first, she would put on an Elvis album.  If dad got there first, it was either Johnny Cash or Johnny Horton.  Still love Elvis, and those are the only two country artists I can listen to.

The Police - Synchronicity (on vinyl)

The Wall by Pink Floyd was the first on CD once I bought my first CD player in 1990. 

Foot high stack of 45s

First 8-Track Tape was Led Zeppelin untitled (IV)

Disturbingly, I can’t remember the first vinyl album. It was either Altman Brothers Eat a Peach, Bad Co eponymous debut album or Kansas’ eponymous debut album

First cassette was probably The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (Genesis)...or was it selling England by the Pound?

I favored double albums because we used them to clean / deseed so that might explain the memory loss 

Also had one of those small kid record players. Remember the books you could.buy with the 45s? Somewhere along the way we picked up a 45 with Monster Mash on it. Also a Billy Joel 45, Still Rock and Roll To Me.

My first purchase was a single. Private Eyes - Hall and Oates on vinyl.

First full album was Def Leopard Pyromania on cassette.

this takes me back....My dad and I were at an old Detroit area store called Korvette's and I somehow talked him into buying me KISS - love gun. My mom was none too happy with that album cover.......

this takes me back....My dad and I were at an old Detroit area store called Korvette's and I somehow talked him into buying me KISS - love gun. My mom was none too happy with that album cover.......
Should have just found a copy of Virgin Killer by the Scorpions, pointed at the cover, and said, "Mom, would you rather I get that?"

Me and my dad used to grab some fish and chips and go down to the park on weekends and watch The Who play live in the park.

Also had one of those small kid record players. Remember the books you could.buy with the 45s? Somewhere along the way we picked up a 45 with Monster Mash on it. Also a Billy Joel 45, Still Rock and Roll To Me.
I had "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart" and the Pointer Sisters' "Fire".  

............. Well Romeo and Juliet...

Sammy Hagar. 3 lock box. Then saw him at the Cow Palace. The band that opened, crowd went wild? ...quarterflash.   :X

Users who are viewing this thread