What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

•••Official 2018 Denver Broncos thread*** (1 Viewer)

Courtjester

The Town Drunk
I looked but didn’t see one yet..

So Talib gone, CJ about to go out the door and Gotsis charged with rape—kind of an uneven start to this year.

I am torn on the Case news. I have to admit, I wanted Cousins, but was very leery of the price tag and the impact it would have on the ability to build the rest of the roster. Case is, by all accounts, a good guy, but was last year a fluke or is he the answer? I am guessing they don’t view him as a “bridge” guy so I can’t see them using #5 on a QB now.

Do they play it safe in the draft and go with the sure thing Nelson at #5 to try and address one of the biggest problems this team had last year or do they swing for the fences and try and move up to get Barkley? They already have 11 picks so not sure you would trade back. 

Too many questions here....

Kubiak familiar with Case so gives confidence in the decision I think. 

Agree no way they pick QB at 5 and any reports saying they will are a complete smoke screen

Also agree, I think QB at 5 is off the table, though I could see them go for a 2nd round guy. Perhaps give Chad Kelly a shot at being the backup. 

I'm surprised the Broncos settled for the consolation prize while the big catch is still available.  Keenum is a high-end backup QB, or marginal "game manager" starter. Why has he been released by so many teams? Why didn’t the Vikings try to keep the QB who took them to the NFC title game?  I think he may be a bridge QB who allows Den to draft a QB at 1.05 or later.

I'm surprised the Broncos settled for the consolation prize while the big catch is still available.  Keenum is a high-end backup QB, or marginal "game manager" starter. Why has he been released by so many teams? Why didn’t the Vikings try to keep the QB who took them to the NFC title game?  I think he may be a bridge QB who allows Den to draft a QB at 1.05 or later.
That is always the question imo. When your team doesn't seem to work to keep you and they need the position maybe there's a reason? 

Case isn't Brock, but the same logic applies.

I'm cheering for Case, have him in two leagues, but it makes one wonder.

I think teams get a pretty good feel for their chances to sign a player. They may also not be keen on the price tag of the big catch. I think Keenum can be a decent starter, probably the best of the bunch after Cousins. FWIW, I dont count the years he played under Fisher. It seems he's terrible at knowing how to handle QBs. 

That is always the question imo. When your team doesn't seem to work to keep you and they need the position maybe there's a reason? 

Case isn't Brock, but the same logic applies.

I'm cheering for Case, have him in two leagues, but it makes one wonder.
I think its near 100% that the Vikings land Cousins. Sure, Keenum played well and I think the Vikings would have welcomed him back...but there is a better option available. 

I think its near 100% that the Vikings land Cousins. Sure, Keenum played well and I think the Vikings would have welcomed him back...but there is a better option available. 
You could be proven right soon. But if another team, perhaps the Jets, sign cousins, that leaves Minnesota with Teddy and Sam. Which might be what they wanted as their backup plan anyway.

You could be proven right soon. But if another team, perhaps the Jets, sign cousins, that leaves Minnesota with Teddy and Sam. Which might be what they wanted as their backup plan anyway.
I dont see any reason he'd be interested in the Jets. Although the division overall is terrible, you have to go through NE for any type of success and their lead WR seems to be a knucklehead. 

I don't see any reason that Keenum prevents the Broncos from drafting a QB @5.  I mean, does anyone think Keenum is the QBotF?  Let me lay out my case:

• Elway believes that the team as presently constructed is playoff material with competant QB play.  That rules out any 2017 QB starting in 2018...been there, done that.
  • Can't go into camp expecting a rookie to deliver the goods in 2018...that's what rebuilding teams do, Broncos don't rebuild, they reload.
  • Lammey reports that the contract is team friendly and structured to be stort...i.e. set up as a bridge contract.
Broncos needed a startable QB who could, at least, be a viable game manager for 2018.  Keenum gives them that.

Headed into pick #5, they are in position to take one of the blue-chiup non-QB's (i.e. Barkleyor Nelson) or draft one of the top 3 QB's in the draft.  Signing Keenum means they can still be flexible.  They aren't forced one way or the other.  Had they broke the bank on Brees or Cousins, they would not have been able to draft a QB at 5: can't have $30M AND a top 5 pick dedicated to one position. 

I get no one is super excited about Keenum, but I think he can be at least adequate and that would be a pretty big upgrade, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Waiting to the see the details, but its being reported Keenum's deal is short term, maybe only 2 years. Sounds more like a bridge QB contract for Lynch or a new QB at 5.

I don't see any reason that Keenum prevents the Broncos from drafting a QB @5.  I mean, does anyone think Keenum is the QBotF?  Let me lay out my case:

• Elway believes that the team as presently constructed is playoff material with competant QB play.  That rules out any 2017 QB starting in 2018...been there, done that.
  • Can't go into camp expecting a rookie to deliver the goods in 2018...that's what rebuilding teams do, Broncos don't rebuild, they reload.
  • Lammey reports that the contract is team friendly and structured to be stort...i.e. set up as a bridge contract.
Broncos needed a startable QB who could, at least, be a viable game manager for 2018.  Keenum gives them that.

Headed into pick #5, they are in position to take one of the blue-chiup non-QB's (i.e. Barkleyor Nelson) or draft one of the top 3 QB's in the draft.  Signing Keenum means they can still be flexible.  They aren't forced one way or the other.  Had they broke the bank on Brees or Cousins, they would not have been able to draft a QB at 5: can't have $30M AND a top 5 pick dedicated to one position. 

I get no one is super excited about Keenum, but I think he can be at least adequate and that would be a pretty big upgrade, IMO.
Good points but IMO the Keenum signing means the Broncos either trade down to a team like the Bills or draft a sure-thing positional player...they have too many needs elsewhere...plus Elway still has faith in Lynch developing into the QBoF...maybe even Kelly. 

Agreed completely.  

I get that others disagree but I think there's a decent chance they do draft at 5, possibly a DB even (Fitzpatrick?) Or Nelson. But really Case just helps Elway have options.

Agreed completely.  

I get that others disagree but I think there's a decent chance they do draft at 5, possibly a DB even (Fitzpatrick?) Or Nelson. But really Case just helps Elway have options.
yup. 

When Brock signed with the Texans, the Broncos didn't have any options.  Broncos were left holding the bag, relying on a 7th round pick, Mark Sanchez, and a first round rookie.  Siemian played suprisingly well, but had he sucked, the Broncos would have been just...terrible.  No other viable options...see 2017.

Keenum brings competancy, and that will be refreshing.

I may be way off base, but a 2 yr contract at $18M per sure smells like a bridge deal to me.  I’ve got a Josh Allen 1st round selection nagging at me.  That the contract is 2 years is interesting

I think it gives them options no doubt, but Elway has proven to be a GM that has zero long game. He wants to win now—not just compete. Plus drafting another QB would be admitting you blew it with the Lynch pick and Elway tends to have an ego when it comes to doing that.

I can see picking Allen at #5 but then you have five/six QBs on the roster and an O-line that will get any and all of them killed.

if Cleveland is going Barkley at #1 and you are sure of that, then Denver should take the sure thing Nelson at #5. They then should spend the remainder of their FA/Draft fortifying the defense/OL and any other need position. 

It would have to be ego more than cash. The difference between 26-30M makes no financial difference in one's life. 
Many of these guys gauge their worth (ego) by their salary, whether or not others would think $4 million a year makes a difference.  So while you're right, money is part of the ego. 

I may be way off base, but a 2 yr contract at $18M per sure smells like a bridge deal to me.  I’ve got a Josh Allen 1st round selection nagging at me.  That the contract is 2 years is interesting
That's basically one year less and close to the same price Mike Glennon got. 

You don't pay someone $36 M over 2 years - even if it's a short contract - and then draft a QB at #5.  There's no chance of that happening.

You don't pay someone $36 M over 2 years - even if it's a short contract - and then draft a QB at #5.  There's no chance of that happening.
Actually that contract makes me feel they may do it much more than when I first heard about this signing...there is no long term commitment to him...the thing about this year's rookie crop is while it is a strong one it may not have one that is a week 1 ready to start rookie QB...a competent bridge guy is pretty important with any of these top prospects...the thing I would not understand if that is the plan is why would Keenum jump at it so quickly...this maybe his only chance to put himself in a good long-term situation and if Denver takes a QB at #5 the clock begins ticking on him as soon as that pick is made...

Actually that contract makes me feel they may do it much more than when I first heard about this signing...there is no long term commitment to him...the thing about this year's rookie crop is while it is a strong one it may not have one that is a week 1 ready to start rookie QB...a competent bridge guy is pretty important with any of these top prospects...the thing I would not understand if that is the plan is why would Keenum jump at it so quickly...this maybe his only chance to put himself in a good long-term situation and if Denver takes a QB at #5 the clock begins ticking on him as soon as that pick is made...
Is there any other team in the league that would view Keenum as QBotF? Who else was going to sign him and then not draft a QB? 

At least in Denver, he gets to be reunited with Kubiak, he will be throwing to pro-bowlers, and have a stout defense backing him up.  There are worse situations to be in.

we don't know how the contract is structured.  I doubt it's $36M guaranteed.

It’s not happening. 

Is there any other team in the league that would view Keenum as QBotF? Who else was going to sign him and then not draft a QB? 

At least in Denver, he gets to be reunited with Kubiak, he will be throwing to pro-bowlers, and have a stout defense backing him up.  There are worse situations to be in.
I hear ya but if he goes to a team that uses the #5 on a QB he is DOA and it is not like he got a crazy contract...so while I do agree that any team he goes to will have a youngster in the pipeline having the #5 behind you is more than a pipeline...you are merely a placeholder at that point...

Not sure...I think either scenario is very possible...the 2 year deal really surprises me and makes it much more possible than when I first heard this news...
Can you name another scenario in the history of the NFL where a team signed a QB to a similar contract (adjusted for salary increases) and then also spent a very high pick on a QB?

Any QB drafted at #5 in this class will require some development...by that time DT and Sanders are over the hill and Von is past his prime. Elway is re-tooling (of course not rebuilding) for a 2-3 year window.

With so many holes still on the roster, the issue here is the opportunity cost of using a #5 pick on someone who isn't going to make an immediate impact. 

Last year in Chicago...
That's a fair example - although a pretty dumb decision by the Bears even at the time of the signing. I guess we'll have to wait to see the details of Case's contract.

That's a fair example - although a pretty dumb decision by the Bears. I guess we'll have to wait to see the details of Case's contract.
I actually like what Chicago did...the QB position is just so important...they gave themselves 2 chances to succeed and it looks like they may have found their answer in Trubisky although it is still early...for a team that had no chance of winning and a healthy salary cap situation getting the QB situation was by far the most important thing for them...until you get that position figured out you're just spinning your wheels...

Of course it can happen.  $18M/yr is not franchise starter’s money.  DEN could easily look to the first round for its projected franchise guy if Elway thinks that guy is there then.

Any QB drafted at #5 in this class will require some development...by that time DT and Sanders are over the hill and Von is past his prime. Elway is re-tooling (of course not rebuilding) for a 2-3 year window.

With so many holes still on the roster, the issue here is the opportunity cost of using a #5 pick on someone who isn't going to make an immediate impact. 
And this is exactly why I think Denver looks to make a big splash this year versus building for two or three years down the road. Elway reads the press  and he knows there are a lot of people in Denver blaming him for how this team has fallen apart once Manning left. He has a huge ego and he is going to want to win now before the window closes on this defense and pro bowl wide receivers. 

Plus if VJ struggles again in the coaching role—that is 100% on Elway. 

And this is exactly why I think Denver looks to make a big splash this year versus building for two or three years down the road. Elway reads the press  and he knows there are a lot of people in Denver blaming him for how this team has fallen apart once Manning left. He has a huge ego and he is going to want to win now before the window closes on this defense and pro bowl wide receivers. 

Plus if VJ struggles again in the coaching role—that is 100% on Elway. 

So you’re pretty much thinking that Elway’s job and professional reputation are on the line, so he’s staking all of that on ...Case Keenum?

Developing young QBs buy good will and time in a lot of cases as long as the team shows that : 1) it will attempt to remain competitive while the QB is getting acclimated, and 2) that the rookie QB is the right choice and doesn’t set the franchise back 5 more years because that guy turned out to be the wrong choice.  

But to think that Elway is going to have his fate determined soley by Keenum is just not something that I think I can buy into.  You might be right, but color me very skeptical.

The problem is Elway has failed in the young QB development department mutlple times now,  so I am not sure the fans are willing to give him a good will pass at this point. 

I have to admit the Case signing caught me off guard as well. I am still in the process of trying to convince myself that it is the right move.

I know every fan base  wants to say this is the year that we need a good draft/ FA group, but Denver really NEEDS that this year. I kind of see this team at a crossroad. If they stumble, you are going to see  a coaching change and next year a lot of familiar faces gone Including efforts to trade Von Miller. It would make no sense to keep him around on that type of contract on a subpar team. Elway doesn’t like the R word, but another bad year and his team will be in a full on rebuild in my opinion. 

The Case Keenum contract was a two-year bridge contract. 

Near lock that they are going to take a QB with their top pick.

The question is whether or not they will be able to their guy with Buffalo is looking to move up for a QB.

--------------------------------------------

Robert Klemko‏Verified account @RobertKlemko 14m14 minutes ago

Per league source, John Elway and much of staff still plan to attend Pro Days at OU tomorrow and UCLA the next day to see Baker Mayfield and Josh Rosen. Don't rule out Broncos choosing a QB at 5 despite reaching a verbal agreement with Case Keenum.

Nelson, Barkley, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen.  Two of the following will be available at 5.  I'd be happy with any of them.  5 is a good spot to be drafting from this year, IMO.  All I want is the Broncos to not trade down.

It gets real interesting with the two teams missing out in todays QB musical chairs drafting at 6 and then 12/22.  Both the Bills and Jets will be working to get ahead of each other. I wonder how sweet Buffalo can make the deal to guarantee they get a QB.

Case Keenum?  Really?  Elway had better take a QB early in this draft or I will have to seriously question his judgment. 

Nelson, Barkley, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen.  Two of the following will be available at 5.  I'd be happy with any of them.  5 is a good spot to be drafting from this year, IMO.  All I want is the Broncos to not trade down.

It gets real interesting with the two teams missing out in todays QB musical chairs drafting at 6 and then 12/22.  Both the Bills and Jets will be working to get ahead of each other. I wonder how sweet Buffalo can make the deal to guarantee they get a QB.
You are out of your mind if you think two QBs will be their with the #5 pick.

1. CLE - QB 'likely' Darnold
  2. NYG - QB 'likely' Rosen 
  3. IND - 'likely' trade down to #6 with NYJ who take Baker Mayfield.  Indianapolis would still get Saquon or Chubb at 6 because the third QB goes here and the fourth QB will DEFINITELY go with the 4th or 5th pick assuring them of landing Barkley or Brad-Chubb at #6 AND they pick up an extra 2nd this year
  4.  CLE - 'likely' trade down to #12 with Buffalo who would take Josh Allen and Cleveland would get the heir apparent to recently retired Joe Thomas at left tackle AND a 1st round pick next year.
Buffalo has moved up to the #12 pick, still hold the 22nd pick, two second-round picks, two third-round picks and signed two QBs  and are paying them almost half of what Keenum will get.  THEY ARE MOVING UP for a QB and reports say they like Josh Allen.  Buffalo has already traded QB Tyrod Taylor to Cleveland so they have established a good trading relationship and many have speculated that they have already worked out this deal.

Joe Thomas informed the club weeks ago, before the the Tyrod Taylor trade, that he was retiring so they could formulate a plan to replace him.  The Browns tried to land Nate Soldier but failed and they won't take a LT with the #4 pick.  Trading down to #12 is the perfect spot to land the top LT from this draft class.  Buffalo made their FA QB moves AFTER they dealt Tyrod to Cleveland and those QBs are not the long term solution.

POINT for Denver to consider?

The only way to get one of the top-four QBs from this draft class is to move up because the Jets are not going to sit tight and watch Buffalo leap frog them for a franchise QB that they would have to face for the next decade or sit tight and allow Denver to take the last QB and leave them out in the cold.

You are out of your mind if you think two QBs will be their with the #5 pick.

1. CLE - QB 'likely' Darnold
  2. NYG - QB 'likely' Rosen 
  3. IND - 'likely' trade down to #6 with NYJ who take Baker Mayfield.  Indianapolis would still get Saquon or Chubb at 6 because the third QB goes here and the fourth QB will DEFINITELY go with the 4th or 5th pick assuring them of landing Barkley or Brad-Chubb at #6 AND they pick up an extra 2nd this year
  4.  CLE - 'likely' trade down to #12 with Buffalo who would take Josh Allen and Cleveland would get the heir apparent to recently retired Joe Thomas at left tackle AND a 1st round pick next year.
Buffalo has moved up to the #12 pick, still hold the 22nd pick, two second-round picks, two third-round picks and signed two QBs  and are paying them almost half of what Keenum will get.  THEY ARE MOVING UP for a QB and reports say they like Josh Allen.  Buffalo has already traded QB Tyrod Taylor to Cleveland so they have established a good trading relationship and many have speculated that they have already worked out this deal.

Joe Thomas informed the club weeks ago, before the the Tyrod Taylor trade, that he was retiring so they could formulate a plan to replace him.  The Browns tried to land Nate Soldier but failed and they won't take a LT with the #4 pick.  Trading down to #12 is the perfect spot to land the top LT from this draft class.  Buffalo made their FA QB moves AFTER they dealt Tyrod to Cleveland and those QBs are not the long term solution.

POINT for Denver to consider?

The only way to get one of the top-four QBs from this draft class is to move up because the Jets are not going to sit tight and watch Buffalo leap frog them for a franchise QB that they would have to face for the next decade or sit tight and allow Denver to take the last QB and leave them out in the cold.
why did you gloss over taking Nelson and Barkley?  I'm totally fine with Broncos taking either of these guys here.  I mean, there are people in this thread that think it's a virtual lock Denver does not take a QB at 5.  My point is that one of these 5 will be there @ 5, and I'm good with any of them.

Besides: 4 QB's have never been taken in the top 4 (at least, since the merger).  3 were in the top 4 in 1999 and 1971, in which the 4th was taken with pick 11 and 56, respectively.  My point: let's not call something that has not happened in 50+ years of drafting as being likely.

why did you gloss over taking Nelson and Barkley?  I'm totally fine with Broncos taking either of these guys here.  I mean, there are people in this thread that think it's a virtual lock Denver does not take a QB at 5.  My point is that one of these 5 will be there @ 5, and I'm good with any of them.

Besides: 4 QB's have never been taken in the top 4 (at least, since the merger).  3 were in the top 4 in 1999 and 1971, in which the 4th was taken with pick 11 and 56, respectively.  My point: let's not call something that has not happened in 50+ years of drafting as being likely.
I don't care about a guard or RB, I never mentioned them.

I said that Denver isn't going to be able to choose between two of the top four QBs if they sit tight.  

Do you think Elway is fine sticking with Case Keenum as his franchise QB?  The guy he will be staking his reputation on going forward?

He made the right call in not ponying up for Osweiller but it caught him off guard and he had to reach for Pax and go with Simien.

Keenum is a bridge to give time to develop a rookie QB.

Do you think Buffalo isn't going to trade up?

Are you sure the Jets, Cardinals, Dolphins aren't going to move up?

Then take that guard.

KC fan perspective....loved seeing them sign Keenum...he doesn't really scare anybody and really doesn't make the players around him better....he does ok with a solid team around him, but this team has a terrible offensive line....aging and overpaid WR's....and no TE... as well as a 2nd year head coach who looked to be way in over his head last year and only has a job because Elway left him with crap at QB and firing him would really in some ways been very unfair....(I still don't think Joseph makes it through this season)....I completely disagree with those that say Denver is not rebuilding.....they have now lost several (believe more than half) of the key pieces of the 2015 defense....including the defensive coordinator who Elway was too cheap to pay....when you go 5-11 it might be hard to admit you are in rebuild mode, so call it what you want, but this team was not "JUST A QB" away from being a good team.....they have a ton of holes on both sides of the ball....I think Denver set a record for the worst 2 year record of any team following a SB victory....the 9-7 two years ago very easily could have been 7-9 if not for the miracle in New Orleans and the missed FG after the timeout against CAR on opening night...Gano made the first one...Elway said he has no problem swinging and missing and that missing doesn't bother him....even though it (missing on Brock and Lynch) has them where they are at right now....he tried to fix the oline the last couple of years with band aids when it needed stitches....passing on guys in FA like Whitworth and Reiff...not wanting to pay them....and having to throw the likes of Stevenson and Watson out there....and then probably also then having to reach on Bolles (who led lineman in penalties last year)......IMO, there is ZERO chance they don't take a QB at #5....Keenum's contract is all you need to know....he will start but he will be looking over his shoulder as soon as he thows a pick cause the Denver fans will want to see the shiny new toy they draft at #5...$18 mil isn't chump change...but Keenum will just be a stop gap until the rookie is ready to go....and if if the rookie isn't ready they may be forced to play him before they want to anyway....I see that Von has also restructured, which is good for Denver cause that was another bad contract by Elway.....helps ease the pain of still having to pay DT's ridiculous contract....if they don't take a QB at #5, you are looking at having to go through this all over again, and I don't think Keenum is the answer....this team is probably 5-11 last year with Keenum....just my  :2cents:

Bracie Smathers said:
I don't care about a guard or RB, I never mentioned them.

I said that Denver isn't going to be able to choose between two of the top four QBs if they sit tight.  

Do you think Elway is fine sticking with Case Keenum as his franchise QB?  The guy he will be staking his reputation on going forward?

He made the right call in not ponying up for Osweiller but it caught him off guard and he had to reach for Pax and go with Simien.

Keenum is a bridge to give time to develop a rookie QB.

Do you think Buffalo isn't going to trade up?

Are you sure the Jets, Cardinals, Dolphins aren't going to move up?

Then take that guard.
I'm trying to understand the argument here. If you're at 5 and content to take one of the top 4 QBs or the supposed generational talent RB or the G, it seems you're in a really good spot.

No need to move up. Especially when other teams are trying to do the same. 

I personally don't think 4 QBs go top 4, but if they do that's not a problem for Denver.

Incorrect. Bradford was on Eagles for a season before they drafted Wentz.
Actually it is correct. You asked when the last time a team signed a QB for a similar contract and then drafted a QB high same year.

March 2016 eagles sign Bradford to a contract worth 36 million over 2 years with 26mill gtd. April 2016 eagles draft Wentz.

Users who are viewing this thread