Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Smack Tripper

2018 Sleepers, Midseason Callups and Breakouts...

Recommended Posts

On 5/14/2018 at 11:14 PM, Doctor Detroit said:

AA game review

5/12

Bowie Baysox (Orioles) v Hartford Yard Goats (Stones)

So I went to see Brendan Rodgers, but there were a lot of other prospects in this game.

Rodgers pooped his pants his first at bat but I was right on top of the Hartford on-deck circle and reminded Rodgers that I named my fantasy team after him (I really did).  He responded with a 105+mph rope to RC field that three-hopped the wall, a ball that probably would have been a triple with his speed had he not hit it so hard.  In his 4th at bat he hit a laser down the LF line that I thought was going foul, but it stayed fair because he hit it so ####### hard. 

In the field Rodgers made a slick play in the 3rd or forth sliding to his glove side, got up and fired out a pretty fast runner for Bowie. 

Rodgers is a top 10 prospect for a reason, he should be the SS in Denver next year. 

Others of note:

@HellToupee wanted me to look at Garrett Hampson.  So I looked at his scouting report before the game because I had heard of him, but I wanted to be more familiar in-person.  Hampson doubled in his first at bat and then in his second AB, hit a ball hard between SS/3B which the SS fielded, and I said "safe" as the SS gathered the ball.  This is a true speed guy, legit speed.  So I was with friends and I said, he's down to second guaranteed.  1st pitch, he stole second.  He then stole 3rd, fast.  Hit tool looked good, he struck out in his last at bat but I thought he looked like a future ML, but Rodgers will have SS so he'll need a position. 

I can't see story moving after this season he is having.  Only option i can think of, and it posses me off to think it,  is if Colorado can't sign nolan and trade him.  Otherwise, one of those two you mentioned are going to be blocked (i dont think dj will be back next year).

Edited by rascal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brendan Rodgers promoted to AAA

Edited by rascal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2018 at 10:14 PM, Northern Voice said:

He's not a sleeper or a breakout but Eugenio Suarez is basically store brand Anthony Rendon and I feel like no one ever talks about him.

I’d call him a break through to elite status. He broke out last year and I thought we’d see similar production, 25 homers and a OPS north of 800. 

Well he has 26 homers and a .970 OPS in 95 games and the batted ball data says this is not s fluke. 

I traded for him in our dynasty league last year (forget who I traded away but it wasn’t much) because I badly needed a 3Bman. This spring I was still looking for a 3Bman because of the threat of Senzel, not knowing if he was gonna be able to repeat a top 15 3Bman year, and because he never showed the kind of upside he had. 

He hasn’t sneaked up on us like Jose Ramirez has, but holy #### is this guy good. He just turned 27 and is the #5 3Bman in roto (this is with both Machado and Baez ahead of him by a whisker). 

I think he’s a top 5 3Bman now with only Ramirez and Arenado ahead of him if Manny is gonna be a SS. Bregman is there too but who would have thought before the year Suarez would be right there with those guys? Pretty cool. 

Edited by Doctor Detroit
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doctor Detroit said:

I’d call him a break through to elite status. He broke out last year and I thought we’d see similar production, 25 homers and a OPS north of 800. 

Well he has 26 homers and a .970 OPS in 95 games and the batted ball data says this is not s fluke. 

I traded for him in our dynasty league last year (forget who I traded away but it wasn’t much) because I badly needed a 3Bman. This spring I was still looking for a 3Bman because of the threat of Senzel, not knowing if he was gonna be able to repeat a top 15 3Bman year, and because he never showed the kind of upside he had. 

He hasn’t sneaked up on us like Jose Ramirez has, but holy #### is this guy good. He just turned 27 and is the #5 3Bman in roto (this is with both Machado and Baez ahead of him by a whisker). 

I think he’s a top 5 3Bman now with only Ramirez and Arenado ahead of him if Manny is gonna be a SS. Bregman is there too but who would have thought before the year Suarez would be right there with those guys? Pretty cool. 

I’ve said it before, but dropped him in two leagues when he got plunked and broke his hand. Little did I know he was a freak of nature and would be back in like 15 days instead of 6-8 weeks. My heart basically weeps every time he puts up numbers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Epic Problem said:

I’ve said it before, but dropped him in two leagues when he got plunked and broke his hand. Little did I know he was a freak of nature and would be back in like 15 days instead of 6-8 weeks. My heart basically weeps every time he puts up numbers. 

I almost traded him a month ago in a deal that brought back a current top 10 prospect. While the deal was being hashed out he hit four homers, and the other owner said, “I probably wouldn’t trade him if I were you.” 

Good advice, he looks like a top 10 3Bman for awhile and I can’t say I saw it coming. I got him in a trade where the other guy offered him to me, I just hit accept. Just luck because I didn’t have a starting 3Bman/CIFer at the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

I’d call him a break through to elite status. He broke out last year and I thought we’d see similar production, 25 homers and a OPS north of 800. 

Well he has 26 homers and a .970 OPS in 95 games and the batted ball data says this is not s fluke. 

I traded for him in our dynasty league last year (forget who I traded away but it wasn’t much) because I badly needed a 3Bman. This spring I was still looking for a 3Bman because of the threat of Senzel, not knowing if he was gonna be able to repeat a top 15 3Bman year, and because he never showed the kind of upside he had. 

He hasn’t sneaked up on us like Jose Ramirez has, but holy #### is this guy good. He just turned 27 and is the #5 3Bman in roto (this is with both Machado and Baez ahead of him by a whisker). 

I think he’s a top 5 3Bman now with only Ramirez and Arenado ahead of him if Manny is gonna be a SS. Bregman is there too but who would have thought before the year Suarez would be right there with those guys? Pretty cool. 

As a bonus, he’s locked into an affordable long term deal so he will be in Cincy for sure which helps his numbers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Danny Jansen called up, with Solarte out supposedly Martin will be playing 3B leaving some C PT for Jansen. He can't be any worse than some of the catching dreck some of us are throwing out there every day :shrug: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kraft... said:

Danny Jansen called up, with Solarte out supposedly Martin will be playing 3B leaving some C PT for Jansen. He can't be any worse than some of the catching dreck some of us are throwing out there every day :shrug: 

He's hit very consistently for the last two years through A+/AA/AAA. I'm excited to see him. 

Sean Reid-Foley up on Monday as well, he hasn't been as consistent as Jansen, and you sure don't want to count on the Jays for wins in fantasy, but he has great stuff (if only average command), he'll be interesting to watch. 

Edit - with Reid-Foley and Borucki the next two Jays scheduled starters, Jansen is expected behind the plate for both since he knows them from the minors. 

Edited by Northern Voice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taylor Ward got the call and started tonight at 3B for the Angels. He’s doubled and walked in his first two at bats. 

Former first round catcher who has only played 3B this year at AA and AAA. He has extra base power, will steal bases (18 in 102 games this year), and most importantly...is catcher eligible this year. 

Probably a good pickup in keepers and dynasty to watch while filling in as a off day C through this year. Beyond that, we’ll see. 

In redrafts if you’re in a deep league, or in any 2 catcher league, he’s probably a must add based on the dearth of production from the C position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2018 at 1:04 AM, Eephus said:

Mondesi was a top #100 prospect as a 19 year old.  Four years later, he's scuffling on the worst team in baseball.

Every time he gets on base I expect him to steal. He now has 15 steals in 38 games and could realistically finish top 5 in the AL in steals. 

.750 OPS, 180 ISO, 2% BB%. If he could even bump that BB% to 6%, he could be lethal. A 20 homer, 50 steal season seems within reason as soon as next year. I mean Dee Gordon never walked much and has zero power, and he’s a 5th rounder every year. :shrug: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Taylor Ward got the call and started tonight at 3B for the Angels. He’s doubled and walked in his first two at bats. 

Former first round catcher who has only played 3B this year at AA and AAA. He has extra base power, will steal bases (18 in 102 games this year), and most importantly...is catcher eligible this year. 

Probably a good pickup in keepers and dynasty to watch while filling in as a off day C through this year. Beyond that, we’ll see. 

In redrafts if you’re in a deep league, or in any 2 catcher league, he’s probably a must add based on the dearth of production from the C position. 

He has value as long as he can keep C eligibility. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Every time he gets on base I expect him to steal. He now has 15 steals in 38 games and could realistically finish top 5 in the AL in steals. 

.750 OPS, 180 ISO, 2% BB%. If he could even bump that BB% to 6%, he could be lethal. A 20 homer, 50 steal season seems within reason as soon as next year. I mean Dee Gordon never walked much and has zero power, and he’s a 5th rounder every year. :shrug: 

He should lead the league in SBs going away next season if he runs at anywhere near the pace he has so far. 

Edited by Northern Voice
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if anyone here plays any deep dynasty leagues and not sure where else to put this but...

Wander Franco SS TB - next phenom

Josh Norris@jnorris427

Two 17-year-olds in the Appy League:

Vlad Jr. (2016): .271/.359/.449, 8 HRs, 46 RBIs, 33 BBs, 45 Ks
Wander Franco (2018): .366/.429/.610, 9 HRs, 52 RBIs, 23 BBs, 14 Ks*

And the season isn't over.

9:14 AM - Aug 20, 2018

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Angry Beavers said:

Not sure if anyone here plays any deep dynasty leagues and not sure where else to put this but...

Wander Franco SS TB - next phenom

Josh Norris@jnorris427

Two 17-year-olds in the Appy League:

Vlad Jr. (2016): .271/.359/.449, 8 HRs, 46 RBIs, 33 BBs, 45 Ks
Wander Franco (2018): .366/.429/.610, 9 HRs, 52 RBIs, 23 BBs, 14 Ks*

And the season isn't over.

9:14 AM - Aug 20, 2018

Wander should be rostered in pretty much any dynasty league, not just deep ones. Fangraphs already has him up to #17 on their prospect board. If he continues to hit anywhere near this well he'll be a consensus top 5 guy by midseason next year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2018 at 2:55 PM, Spartans Rule said:

Wander should be rostered in pretty much any dynasty league, not just deep ones. Fangraphs already has him up to #17 on their prospect board. If he continues to hit anywhere near this well he'll be a consensus top 5 guy by midseason next year.

Just make sure the league you're in has the RIGHT Wander Franco.  There's two of them. One is 21 and plays for the Giants.  He's meh.  Only Wander Franco in Yahoo, I learned the hard way. :bag:

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Just make sure the league you're in has the RIGHT Wander Franco.  There's two of them. One is 21 and plays for the Giants.  He's meh.  Only Wander Franco in Yahoo, I learned the hard way. :bag:

There’s actually 3, and they’re all brothers, and their father is named (drumroll)... Wander Franco. The other two are both in the Giants system and both fantasy irrelevant.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Spartans Rule said:

There’s actually 3, and they’re all brothers, and their father is named (drumroll)... Wander Franco. The other two are both in the Giants system and both fantasy irrelevant.

Foreman has 12 children, five sons and seven daughters. His five sons are George Jr., George III ("Monk"), George IV ("Big Wheel"), George V ("Red"), and George VI ("Little Joey"). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Epic Problem said:

Foreman has 12 children, five sons and seven daughters. His five sons are George Jr., George III ("Monk"), George IV ("Big Wheel"), George V ("Red"), and George VI ("Little Joey"). 

Thanks for the breaking news, Cronkite.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Spartans Rule said:

There’s actually 3, and they’re all brothers, and their father is named (drumroll)... Wander Franco. The other two are both in the Giants system and both fantasy irrelevant.

I see Chemical X fell for it too. :lmao:

@Chemical X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Padres are calling up Luis Urias today.  He only has 2B eligibility in Yahoo but figures to see action at both MIF spots.  He looks like a guy who'll be more valuable in real-life than in fantasy because he hasn't shown much power or speed in the minors.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Giants are calling up Chris Shaw to take McCutchen's spot.  He has some power but is going to strike out a lot. 

He has two seasons at AAA and will be 25 in October so they might as well see what he can do against big league pitching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2018 at 4:19 PM, Doctor Detroit said:

Mondesi got the call. He still has issues with plate discipline but he’s basically another Tim Anderson. So there is some value if he’s getting playing time, and with Alcedes Escobar having a cool .506 OPS, there is really no reason not to play him. 

Kind of funny because yesterday I was gonna post something about him because it makes no sense not to have him up. He’s a better version of peak Escobar, and although he has some work to do, he’s got power, speed, and he is excellent at SS. 

Mondesi through 62 games: 

800 OPS

291 BA

9 homers

25 steals 

He just doesn’t walk but the high BABIP is sustainable and the fly ball ratio (37%) and hard hit rate (42%) are encouraging. 

We know he can run but the profile suggests power and a hit tool with extra base bonanza! 

Probably will be streaky but the stolen bases and the fielding skill will keep him as a daily start. 

Edited by Doctor Detroit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I hang onto this lead in Pie I owe quite the debt of gratitude to Mondesi - 26/7/19/18/346 in just 42 games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2018 at 0:46 AM, Doctor Detroit said:

Mondesi through 62 games: 

800 OPS

291 BA

9 homers

25 steals 

He just doesn’t walk but the high BABIP is sustainable and the fly ball ratio (37%) and hard hit rate (42%) are encouraging. 

We know he can run but the profile suggests power and a hit tool with extra base bonanza! 

Probably will be streaky but the stolen bases and the fielding skill will keep him as a daily start. 

@jazayerli

How rare is Adalberto Mondesi's combination of speed and power? Here's a list of every player who has ever: - Had 200+ PA - Slugged over .455 - Had at least one SB for every 3 times they reached base

1) Eric Davis, 1986

2) Rickey Henderson, 1986

3) ADALBERTO MONDESI, 2018

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Northern Voice said:

@jazayerli

How rare is Adalberto Mondesi's combination of speed and power? Here's a list of every player who has ever: - Had 200+ PA - Slugged over .455 - Had at least one SB for every 3 times they reached base

1) Eric Davis, 1986

2) Rickey Henderson, 1986

3) ADALBERTO MONDESI, 2018

And that's despite a 200/222/371 first month.  26/7/19/21/304/333/503 over the last 2 months and he wasn't even FT not hitting out of the bottom 3rd of the order until the last couple-few weeks...I'm just enjoying this ride because there's no way I get him again in March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 homers and 30 steals in 72 games for Mondesi. That’s a 30/65 pace. 

He went from late round flier to probably a top 50 pick next year. His dynasty value is through the roof. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

13 homers and 30 steals in 72 games for Mondesi. That’s a 30/65 pace. 

He went from late round flier to probably a top 50 pick next year. His dynasty value is through the roof. 

It's going to cost a lot more than that, which is why I won't end up with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:
12 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

13 homers and 30 steals in 72 games for Mondesi. That’s a 30/65 pace. 

He went from late round flier to probably a top 50 pick next year. His dynasty value is through the roof. 

It's going to cost a lot more than that, which is why I won't end up with him.

The speed is real but I don't know if I buy the power.  13.8% HR/FB will regress to the mean. 

He's 23 and further power development is possible but projecting 25+ HRs in full time duty seems optimistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Eephus said:

The speed is real but I don't know if I buy the power.  13.8% HR/FB will regress to the mean. 

He's 23 and further power development is possible but projecting 25+ HRs in full time duty seems optimistic.

Yeah but you are a known Mondesi hater. :P

He's probably not a 30 homer guy but he's consistently hit about 40% fly balls, has had a 11% or better HR/FB percentage at last four stops, and he hits the ball hard a lot.  20 is a very reasonable projection over the course of a full season and 20/50 is an extremely valuable asset these days. 

Edited by Doctor Detroit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Yeah but you are a known Mondesi hater. :P

He's probably not a 30 homer guy but he's consistently hit about 40% fly balls, has had a 11% or better HR/FB percentage at last four stops, and he hits the ball hard a lot.  20 is a very reasonable projection over the course of a full season and 20/50 is an extremely valuable asset these days. 

37% FB + 30% K + 4% BB is a very dangerous combination and before this year his high in SB was 26 and HR 14.  If he's priced with that in mind then I think the risk is justified.  If he's priced expecting something near Trea Turner then I don't think it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

37% FB + 30% K + 4% BB is a very dangerous combination and before this year his high in SB was 26 and HR 14.  If he's priced with that in mind then I think the risk is justified.  If he's priced expecting something near Trea Turner then I don't think it is.

He had 33 steals across four levels and 400 PAs in 2016.  He had 26 in 400 PAs last year, and 40 SBs in 400 PAs this year.  K rate is 26.6 and 22 this year, if he stays close to 25% and continues to also keep his FB/GB ratio close to one he'll be fine.  A walk rate of 5% is probably what we are looking at though, so he'll have much more value in categories leagues and avg leagues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's early but where would you rank Mondesi relative to Albies and Villar in 2019 redrafts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doctor Detroit said:

He had 33 steals across four levels and 400 PAs in 2016.  He had 26 in 400 PAs last year, and 40 SBs in 400 PAs this year.  K rate is 26.6 and 22 this year, if he stays close to 25% and continues to also keep his FB/GB ratio close to one he'll be fine.  A walk rate of 5% is probably what we are looking at though, so he'll have much more value in categories leagues and avg leagues. 

My bad, eyes went too fast for fangraphs again.  I'm more concerned about the FB/K rate combo anyway.  That can be lethal when it comes to avg, which with his walk rate could send him to the bottom of the order a/o more days on the bench for unknown periods of time.  Something I'm probably willing to deal with if he's in that 40-50 range, but top 20?  No thanks.  And given what he's done these two months and his age I think that's a real possibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Eephus said:

I know it's early but where would you rank Mondesi relative to Albies and Villar in 2019 redrafts?

It’s hard to trust Villar as he’s basically had 1.5 good seasons. He’s gonna play everyday without limitations in Baltimore though, so he’s gonna be taken before he should be. Albies doesn’t walk much either but I can see him getting better over the next several seasons. 

I’d rank them Albies>Mondesi>>Villar with Albies being a guy that could be a second round pick in redrafts sooner than later. Mondesi seems like a more powerful Dee Gordon but he has a pretty high upside.

I just remember people saying Javy Baez was never going to be a top 30 player because he never walks, and we know that was an incorrect assumption. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kraft... said:

Yelich is scorching!

So is David Dahl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eephus said:

I'll take my chances scuffling for SBs before drafting a one category guy in round 2.

What was peak Billy Hamilton ADP, round 5 or so, I think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick Senzel hurt again.  He'll have surgery to remove bone chips from his left elbow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.