Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smack Tripper

2018 Sleepers, Midseason Callups and Breakouts...

481 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, HellToupee said:

Hanson should be playing everyday

1 hour ago, HellToupee said:

Hanson should be playing everyday against righties 

He will until Belt returns early next week but Sandoval has been surprisingly decent this year. 

Jorge Soler injury opens the door for someone in KC for the next couple months. 

Neither Adalberto Mondesi or Rosell Herrera played in AAA last night so it's likely one of those two. Mondesi could be a waiver wire source of steals in a year where there hard to come by if he's the one. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

Jorge Soler injury opens the door for someone in KC for the next couple months. 

Neither Adalberto Mondesi or Rosell Herrera played in AAA last night so it's likely one of those two. Mondesi could be a waiver wire source of steals in a year where there hard to come by if he's the one. 

Mondesi got the call. He still has issues with plate discipline but he’s basically another Tim Anderson. So there is some value if he’s getting playing time, and with Alcedes Escobar having a cool .506 OPS, there is really no reason not to play him. 

Kind of funny because yesterday I was gonna post something about him because it makes no sense not to have him up. He’s a better version of peak Escobar, and although he has some work to do, he’s got power, speed, and he is excellent at SS. 

Edited by Doctor Detroit

If Mondesi can figure out how to get on base against major league pitching, he has fantasy value.

His ranking as a prospect always came from his performance relative to the age of his competition.  That stops mattering after a while and he'll be 23 next month.

On 10/05/2018 at 4:24 PM, HellToupee said:

Can I just say I’m over the moon for Alen Hanson

He's 314/344/628 and a pile of R+RBI relative to his ABs with SB potential but this still feels like the breakout that between injuries and playing time, just isn't quite happening (he was removed from today's game in pain after fouling a ball off himself. He was playing SS and leading off just to give the breakout a little more false hope before being once again waylaid). 

Max Muncy is my early season fantasy baseball MVP.  Dodgers just seem to plug these afterthought guys into lineups and they turn into huge pieces of production for them.  Chris Taylor last year, Justin Turner before that now Max Muncy.  :wub:

This just in: Juan Soto is better than your your top prospect. 

On 6/22/2018 at 2:38 AM, Doctor Detroit said:

Gleyber Torres in this conversation unless we are considering him no longer a prospect.  

This is the one guy I might trade Torres for (given the yanks cap deal, would obviously deal him for Trout)

1 hour ago, Smack Tripper said:

Gleyber Torres in this conversation unless we are considering him no longer a prospect.  

This is the one guy I might trade Torres for (given the yanks cap deal, would obviously deal him for Trout)

Torres is really good but that HR/FB ratio is gonna come back to earth, 21 EBH and 14 homers. 

I’m interested to see what happens then, but he’s a star. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Torres is really good but that HR/FB ratio is gonna come back to earth, 21 EBH and 14 homers. 

I’m interested to see what happens then, but he’s a star. 

Love Soto, grading Torres up for being a middle infielder.  He’s probably a better SS than didi right now.  It’s very early but he reminds me a lot of machado with this plate coverage 

1 person likes this

On 6/17/2018 at 7:18 PM, Eephus said:

If Mondesi can figure out how to get on base against major league pitching, he has fantasy value.

His ranking as a prospect always came from his performance relative to the age of his competition.  That stops mattering after a while and he'll be 23 next month.

Escobar has a .550 OPS. 

Everything you just said is static. 

Escobar has a .550 OPS. 

Everything you just said is static. 

Mondesi was a top #100 prospect as a 19 year old.  Four years later, he's scuffling on the worst team in baseball.

1 hour ago, Eephus said:

Mondesi was a top #100 prospect as a 19 year old.  Four years later, he's scuffling on the worst team in baseball.

He had 18 ABs there 🧙‍♂️ 

You’re writing him off already???

I like the Tim Anderson comp for Mondesi. Whether that's worth having on your roster likely depends on league scoring/format, category needs, etc...

On 20/04/2018 at 0:12 PM, Northern Voice said:

Teoscar just "liked" one of my tweets, so I think he's my favourite Jay ever now.

Teoscar played one inning with the Astros last season and is getting a world series ring before today's game (apparently on unanimous vote by the players), I thought the rings were fairly limited. What am I missing here?

4 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

Teoscar played one inning with the Astros last season and is getting a world series ring before today's game (apparently on unanimous vote by the players), I thought the rings were fairly limited. What am I missing here?

The Giants gave Dan Uggla a ring in 2014 when he went 0 for 12 with 2 errors in 4 games.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I just bought in on Kyle Tucker.  How long do I have to wait for this shiny new toy?  It seems like a call up is coming very soon.  

Edited by knowledge dropper

Format specific, but post hyper Keon Broxton got the call with Cain going to the DL.  With steals so hard to come by he may be worth a shot for some.

On 6/22/2018 at 1:38 AM, Doctor Detroit said:

This just in: I'm on the Soto train! 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Zach Eflin’s 5 starts in June flying completely under the radar

June 5 @ CHC: 7.2 IP, 8 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K

June 10 vs. MIL: 6 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 9 K

June 16 @ MIL: 5 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 6 K

June 22 @ WAS: 5 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 5 K

tonight vs. NYY: 7 IP, 4H, 0R, 2 BB, 6K

Edited by HellToupee
1 person likes this

On 4/22/2018 at 6:18 PM, Doctor Detroit said:

Javy Baez looks like a breakout. A lot of fantasy pundits think Baez is overrated, but the cream always rises to the top.

Seriously, he’s ahead of Machado, Albies, and Turner in roto. 

He’s a better real life player, but he’s pretty much been a fantasy stud. Even for a Cub, he’s underrated in fantasty circles. 

On 6/27/2018 at 10:44 AM, Epic Problem said:

This just in: I'm on the Soto train! 

There’s no thinking that he’s special when you see how effortlessly he takes it 375 oppo, you know he is. 

Soto.     :wub:

3 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Soto.     :wub:

First teenager to have four hits and two homers in a MLB game. He’s decent. 

To me, Dereck Rodriguez is becoming a fascinating study. MLB caliber stuff while raised by a HOF father that happened to play catcher. Obviously they could be polar opposites, but if they’re wired the same way and he learned from his father on how to study the game. The battery stuff, how to pitch opponents, exploit weaknesses. It’s not foolproof, but it’s hard to think that it’s a hinderance

On 27/06/2018 at 9:48 PM, HellToupee said:

Zach Eflin’s 5 starts in June flying completely under the radar

June 5 @ CHC: 7.2 IP, 8 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K

June 10 vs. MIL: 6 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 9 K

June 16 @ MIL: 5 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 6 K

June 22 @ WAS: 5 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 5 K

tonight vs. NYY: 7 IP, 4H, 0R, 2 BB, 6K

I streamed him for his last start and am thinking I may need to hold him for a bit. He had the third best FIP among starters for June I read as well, so the peripherals back it up. Plus there was a Fangraphs article on him at the start of June talking about his offseason changes and finally being healthy.

I don't think he'll keep this pace up but he might he a top 30-40ish guy going forward. 

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

I don't think he'll keep this pace up but he might he a top 30-40ish guy going forward. 

I'm holding strong on Nick Pivetta too (dem K's), buying in on Phillies pitchers... What could go wrong!?!? :oldunsure:

3 people like this

On 7/4/2018 at 6:27 PM, Northern Voice said:

I'm holding strong on Nick Pivetta too (dem K's), buying in on Phillies pitchers... What could go wrong!?!? :oldunsure:

Completely in on Pivetta. His 11.9% swStrike rate easily supports his K/9 jump.

3.39 xFIP and almost all of his bad ERA luck can be traced to a couple blow up starts. 

Kyle Tucker just called up by the Astros.  I took a few flyers on him.  

6 hours ago, guru_007 said:

Kyle Tucker just called up by the Astros.  I took a few flyers on him.  

I had a few shares, but let them go, thinking he wouldn't get called up until much later.

Kemp has done very well on O and D. Springer in a lull but recently a WS MVP, Marwyn deserves some starts when Correa comes back, Reddick only flashes top shelf, but his salary will keep him starting most games, and Marisnick is phenomenal on defense and so cute. Gattis owns the DH.

I'm sure they'll give Tucker the playing time he deserves, tho. I see Marisnick and Kemp back to AAA, I guess, but a lukewarm start could send Tucker back down if it lasts a couple of weeks.

It's a good time for experimental call ups. Minor league is about to go on break, majors have 9 more days. Give them a cameo and if it doesnt stick then send them back to the minors when the pros go on break. 

1 person likes this

On 4/18/2018 at 0:31 PM, Doctor Detroit said:

The corpse of Nick Markakis only has a certain ceiling

Zombie All Star starter. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Evilgrin 72 said:

Zombie All Star starter. 

Good for him. I heard something about him being the player with the most career hits (2100) that is making his first All Star appearance. 

Enyel De Los Santos getting the call tomorrow. Might be worth a pickup to see what happens

Either Toles or Verdugo is probably on their way to the left coast right now.  I rolled the dice on Toles in Pie waivers last night because I'm sure the actual call-up would get picked by someone with greater priority tonight.  Verdugo had been running hot, but didn't play this weekend.  It's probably wrong, but I used that as my tiebreaker.  Unless a trade is imminent I doubt trade talks will play a factor - both are probably on the table anyway.

5 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Either Toles or Verdugo is probably on their way to the left coast right now.  I rolled the dice on Toles in Pie waivers last night because I'm sure the actual call-up would get picked by someone with greater priority tonight.  Verdugo had been running hot, but didn't play this weekend.  It's probably wrong, but I used that as my tiebreaker.  Unless a trade is imminent I doubt trade talks will play a factor - both are probably on the table anyway.

Toles is in San Diego and should be activated before the game.  The LA OF is pretty crowded though.  His best chance at playing time is via a deadline trade.

1 person likes this

Nick Williams is worth a mention now. Kapler has stuck with him for some reason and he’s starting to bust out. Probably worth adding in standard mix leagues now. 

If you need steals, and everyone does, get Manny Margot (26% owned in Yahoo and CBS).  

He was hurt then horrible but he has a .360 OBP with some pop over the last month. Only two steals, but one was tonight, and he’s one of the fastest players in baseball.  I think 20 second half steals is within reason if he continues to hit. 

Ideally the Padres want him to lead off, and with his onbase skills, you’d think that might come soon. 

He was a guy I thought would break out this year, just took awhile. 

If you need steals, and everyone does, get Manny Margot (26% owned in Yahoo and CBS).  

He was hurt then horrible but he has a .360 OBP with some pop over the last month. Only two steals, but one was tonight, and he’s one of the fastest players in baseball.  I think 20 second half steals is within reason if he continues to hit. 

Ideally the Padres want him to lead off, and with his onbase skills, you’d think that might come soon. 

He was a guy I thought would break out this year, just took awhile. 

You can't make this #### up:

AJ Cassavell‏Verified account @AJCassavell 22m22 minutes ago

Oh no. Manny Margot is exiting the game after an all-out dive on Cesar Hernandez's liner. He went full extension and appeared to have injured his left wrist.

:kicksrock: