Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smack Tripper

2018 Sleepers, Midseason Callups and Breakouts...

481 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, rodg12 said:

Breakout/sleeper guys I targeted and ended up with multiple shares of...

C - Mike Zunino (specifically OBP leagues)

Hard to resist that .280 career obp eh?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Derek Dietrich gets the start for Florida batting second vs. a lefty.  If he can hold his own against southpaws (he was decent in small 2017 sample size), he'll be a cheap source of counting stats in OBP leagues.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colin Moran will be the biggest surprise this season. I’m all in.

 

to quote Brick Top

“if I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, HellToupee said:

Colin Moran will be the biggest surprise this season. I’m all in.

 

to quote Brick Top

“if I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not.”

agree on Moran. Definitely worth a   shot

Josh Reddick still avail all over the place, double digit steals and HR along with great Avg and counting stats

Long longshots pretty much available everywhere

Vinnie Vasquez - stranger things happen

Santander OF - he's starting and that's where it starts. His bat showed some life in AAA and he did not embarass with last year's callup

Jorge Soler - forget his stats and look at his pedigree in a fresh start

 

 

Edited by cosjobs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Franklin Barreto just got the call - smoke em if you got em

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

Franklin Barreto just got the call - smoke em if you got em

I’m in the minority here on this but , meh. I’m not a believer 

Edited by HellToupee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Suarez going down, it seems like the Reds aren't bringing up Senzel just yet.  Think it's just the few days for the extra year, or they still want him to play 2B?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

With Suarez going down, it seems like the Reds aren't bringing up Senzel just yet.  Think it's just the few days for the extra year, or they still want him to play 2B?

It might be both.  Reading too much into 10 days of baseball is usually a fool's errand, but in this team's case?  Probably not.  They were projected to be awful and look like they may be even worse.  Whatever the thought process behind today's move, they aren't playing for this year.  And Jose Peraza sporting a sweet 200/200/200 triple slash with a 28% K would have me burying my head in my face if I were a Reds fan.  Small sample?  Sure, but it's making 2017 look a lot more believable than 2016.  Senzel may be up next week, but it could be to start along side Blandino while moving Peraza to the bench.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2018 at 11:51 PM, HellToupee said:

I’m in the minority here on this but , meh. I’m not a believer 

I'm usually a collar tugger when it comes to high K:BB guys, but I think the adjustments he made this offseason have some validity.  Are they going to play him though?  They've got some lefties coming up this week, so Joyce may ride the bench but two of them are in the NL putting Davis out there instead of (possibly) Barreto.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robles is dead now too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 4/9/2018 at 10:48 AM, Don Quixote said:

With Suarez going down, it seems like the Reds aren't bringing up Senzel just yet.  Think it's just the few days for the extra year, or they still want him to play 2B?

Edit: Senzel moved to 3b in Louisville lineup today  Looks like he will be up soon for Suarez never mind what I wrote below  

 

 

It could be until super 2 imo. I have no idea why 2b and not SS considering Scooter is cheap and they usually bat him cleanup (first yesterday). He’s obviously one of the best hitters on this sorry team and I don’t know what even makes Peraza a major leaguer.  

They might as well wait though. The GM admitted (for a 4th straight year) that they aren’t playing for 2018. 

Edited by cheese

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Profar's never giving Odor 2B back, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Profar's never giving Odor 2B back, right?

I think the real question is if you'll even be able to tell them apart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Epic Problem said:

I think the real question is if you'll even be able to tell them apart.

I think Profar has more walks this season than Odor does in his career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2018 at 9:04 PM, MAC_32 said:

Robles is dead now too.

Hyperextended elbow. Hopefully not too bad.

Very bad timing too. He seemed like he was about to get red hot and Eaton's going on the DL. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nick Pivetta looks legit to me. Canada building up that WBC rotation.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Northern Voice said:

Nick Pivetta looks legit to me. Canada building up that WBC rotation.

I dumped him after one start because I didn't want to deal with Kapler :bag:

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MAC_32 said:

I dumped him after one start because I didn't want to deal with Kapler :bag:

 

I have him in 3 leagues but haven't had the guts to actually start him yet, that should probably change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Northern Voice said:
1 hour ago, MAC_32 said:

I dumped him after one start because I didn't want to deal with Kapler :bag:

 

I have him in 3 leagues but haven't had the guts to actually start him yet, that should probably change.

SPs are fully stretched out now so Philadelphia's pitch counts are increasing.  Nola threw 103 today crusing though 8IP but Ben Lively also threw 100 yesterday with less success.

The jury is out on whether Kapler's pitching usage is really going to differ from the rest of the league.  I wouldn't consider that as a factor unless it becomes one.  Pivetta will get favorable matchups in the NL East.  If you aren't going to stream him against Miami, he's just taking up a roster slot.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

Nick Pivetta looks legit to me. Canada building up that WBC rotation.

Ironic if he ends up being the best of all the Philly dump-trade acquisitions (acquired for Papelbon).

For Giles they got Vince Vazquez and Mark Appel :thumbdown:

For Hamels they got Jorge Alfaro, Jake Thompson, and Nick Williams :thumbdown: (thought Alfaro is growing on me).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Andrus, DeShields, and Odor all out now it would seem the Rangers would call up Willie Calhoun and DH him or let him play LF.  Not sure when his service time cutoff is but it should be sooner than later.  He has 20 days already, Rangers need to stay under 172 over this year and last, so for sure by May 1.  But they can just call him up now, then send him down later for three weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

With Andrus, DeShields, and Odor all out now it would seem the Rangers would call up Willie Calhoun and DH him or let him play LF.  Not sure when his service time cutoff is but it should be sooner than later.  He has 20 days already, Rangers need to stay under 172 over this year and last, so for sure by May 1.  But they can just call him up now, then send him down later for three weeks. 

Calhoun's bat would help but he can't replace any of the three injured Rangers defensively.  Even if Texas calls him up early, his PAs will be limited.

Profar and Drew Robinson will fill two of the slots (with some platooning help for Robinson). Somebody named Hanser Alberto is the only other SS on the 40 man so my guess is they'll slide Profar over to short and take their chances with Kiner-Falefa at 2B.

Maybe Delino DeShields Sr. still has game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eephus said:

Calhoun's bat would help but he can't replace any of the three injured Rangers defensively.  Even if Texas calls him up early, his PAs will be limited.

Profar and Drew Robinson will fill two of the slots (with some platooning help for Robinson). Somebody named Hanser Alberto is the only other SS on the 40 man so my guess is they'll slide Profar over to short and take their chances with Kiner-Falefa at 2B.

Maybe Delino DeShields Sr. still has game.

Profar to SS, Robinson to 2B, Rua to CF, Choo to RF, and Calhoun to DH.  Wala

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Profar to SS, Robinson to 2B, Rua to CF, Choo to RF, and Calhoun to DH.  Wala

what could possibly go wrong

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm kind of hoping they give Rua some time at 2B but more for comedy than anything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, E-Z Glider said:

Yep, I read this article earlier in the week after Keith law linked to it at about Pivetta. There's yet another one from The Pitcher List this week. I'm biting hard on the hype here. I actually picked him up as a spec ad before any of these articles after a podcast was talking about him saying he's a guy that both the scouts and the analytics guys believe in.

Another guy who is looking pretty similar, though at a higher cost, is Aaron Sanchez. Like Pivetta, he has a new pitch he really believes in - in this case a changeup. Jeff Sullivan wrote about him recently as well and in his first game after that, he used the changeup 40% of the time and took a no hitter into the 8th.

I think there's a lot to like in these guys who are throwing 95 MPH and now all of a sudden developing and gaining confidence in a new major weapon pitch. They're both 25 years old, so it's not unrealistic to think they're still on the way up. Of course one is Canadian and the other plays in Toronto, so maybe I just want to believe.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The defense the Rangers are potentially going to have to throw out there is so bad it’s amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I came so close  to dropping Felipe Vázquez because I did not recognize the name and assumed it was a drunk midnight RP stab                            

9 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1B Ronald Guzman will be recalled to replace Elvis Andrus. Rangers moving Joey Gallo out to the outfield. Hate this season already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jordan Montgomery has been pretty worthless lately, but I still believe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yuli should be back today. Plan is to play him in many positions a la Marwin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teoscar Hernandez is with Toronto in Cleveland, no official transaction announced yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cosjobs said:

Jordan Montgomery has been pretty worthless lately, but I still believe

Can't tell if this is a reverse jinx or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Teoscar Hernandez is with Toronto in Cleveland, no official transaction announced yet.

Donaldson to DL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eephus said:

Donaldson to DL. 

Solarte! Maybe that $11 bid in RodgZA was worth it after all :mellow: 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Donaldson to DL. 

:rant:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Donaldson to DL. 

wtf? sigh. First year I ever drafted him and have several shares I paid a lot for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bogart said:

1B Ronald Guzman will be recalled to replace Elvis Andrus. Rangers moving Joey Gallo out to the outfield. Hate this season already.

Sigh :kicksrock: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Sigh :kicksrock: 

Sorry man. I know you have shares (and a man crush) our our Willie Calhoun, but that 0.206/0.229/0.324 line in Round Rock, with no real glove, isn't too exciting. Then again, the media here is screaming for him to come up as the season is already a lost cause. I think another month in the minors gets the Rangers another year of control.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.