What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greg Olsen Retiring? (1 Viewer)

Dr. Octopus

Footballguy
The New York Post's Andrew Marchand reports Greg Olsen is auditioning Friday to be an analyst on ESPN's Monday Night Football broadcast.

It would leave the Panthers in a bind at tight end, but they had to know this day is at least coming soon. Olsen turned 33 earlier this week and is coming off an injury-marred 2017 due to a broken foot. Olsen already has experience in the broadcast booth after working for FOX during the Panthers' bye week last season. The Panthers have flirted with free agent TE Eric Ebron.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 22m22 minutes ago

#Panthers TE Greg Olsen is auditioning for and ESPN broadcast job today, as @AndrewMarchand said… but sources say he has committed to play for Carolina for 2018 and beyond. This is about life after football, not next year.

#Panthers TE Greg Olsen is auditioning for and ESPN broadcast job today, as @AndrewMarchand said… but sources say he has committed to play for Carolina for 2018 and beyond. This is about life after football, not next year.
that makes no sense.  Auditioning for a job he has no intention of taking.

If he gets offered job he's taking it.  I guess good PR move.  If he doesn't get the job he can tell the fans he had no intention of taking it anyway.

Why would he audition now then?

ESPN isn't going to hire some one to replace Gruden for just one season while they wait for Olsen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sirius xm has guys "auditioning" for radio jobs every year in the off season, and a lot of them are players who want something to do after retirement. You start the process early to get feedback and see if there's a mutual interest and see what fans think about you. 

Sirius xm has guys "auditioning" for radio jobs every year in the off season, and a lot of them are players who want something to do after retirement. You start the process early to get feedback and see if there's a mutual interest and see what fans think about you. 
That’s different because it’s not for a specific role (Gruden’s replacement on MNF). If he was appearing on NFL Live segments or guest hosting on ESPN radio I wouldn’t find it as meaningful. Gruden’s spot on MNF is only going to be open once, and once it’s filled for this upcoming season it isn’t likely to come back open.

ETA: I reread the blurb and I may have made the incorrect assumption it’s for the color commentator gig. It could be a pregame analyst and in that case what you said would be relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s different because it’s not for a specific role (Gruden’s replacement on MNF). If he was appearing on NFL Live segments or guest hosting on ESPN radio I wouldn’t find it as meaningful. Gruden’s spot on MNF is only going to be open once, and once it’s filled for this upcoming season it isn’t likely to come back open.
Did I miss the part where it specifically said gruden's job? Or just a spot on mnf?

Users who are viewing this thread