What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Presidential Election Thread (2 Viewers)

Going into this year, Booker was my #1 choice. But I began to wonder about him during the Kavanaugh hearings as he was upstaged by Harris despite his best efforts not to be; as I wrote at the time, that was very much an audition and both of them were quite aware of it, and of each other. 

I suspect Booker will run to Harris’ right, slightly, and be more palatable to those Democrats who are concerned that progressive ideas like Medicare for All will give us 4 more years of Trump. But in the end I doubt it will matter. Politics is much more about personality and charisma than it is about ideas- Kamela’s got more of those than Booker, which is why she will in all likelihood defeat Booker and everybody else. 
I grew up in NJ and have been following Booker's career for years. He's an impressive guy and I've always liked him, but I've never been able to shake the feeling that he just seems a little too contrived. As I've said in other threads, I'm deliberately not ruling anyone in or out at this point, so will be curious to see how he does as the primaries unfold.

I've always liked Booker since that documentary about him running for mayor of Newark. (Street Fight -- looks like it's still on Netflix.  I recommend it if you haven't seen it.)

Charismatic guy.  I think he's genuine.  I'll consider voting for him but he isn't my first at this time.  I agree with Tim that the Kavanaugh stunt hurt him although that can be forgotten.

Going into this year, Booker was my #1 choice. But I began to wonder about him during the Kavanaugh hearings as he was upstaged by Harris despite his best efforts not to be
Kamala is running laps around him to this point. Her rollout was much better handled as well. A Friday tweet is the best Booker's camp could come up with? Plenty of time for Cory to emerge but the head start Harris has over him is both significant and an indicator that her camp "gets it" better than his.

Kamala is running laps around him to this point. Her rollout was much better handled as well. A Friday tweet is the best Booker's camp could come up with? Plenty of time for Cory to emerge but the head start Harris has over him is both significant and an indicator that her camp "gets it" better than his.
And his message was to a pretty narrow group of voters. Likely a group he already can count on if he wins the nomination, which he won't. 

Let's have some good debates and a fair fight, no matter how many candidates appear. Then, after the nominee emerges, everybody needs to get behind him or her for the most important task of all -- getting rid of the current POTUS.

Eh, let's not try to game out the horse race this early. There will be plenty of narratives to cycle through over the next two years. Do you remember anything about Obama's rollout in 2007? I know he spoke in Springfield, but I can't tell you anything about what he said there or what he did in the immediate aftermath.

I'll believe one candidate is ahead of another one when I see some hard numbers like polls and fundraising. And even then, I'll mostly take it with a grain of salt.

I shouldn't feel this way but I almost don't want to waste any mental energy or time on the Democratic primaries and nomination - just wake me up when it's done.  I will wholeheartedly throw my full support and dollars behind whoever it is - guaranteed. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So Harris already backtracking on Med-4-All? Now open to keeping private insurers in the game. Took long...Just wanted the spotlight, so backed a Bernie-led idea for 48 hours or so. Fake.

I’m a big fan of Warren and her policies, I really am. I also think her political judgement is...comically bad? Her website features this insane page that amplifies some bat#### conspiracy theories about her. “NO, ELIZABETH DOES NOT TAKE RISPERDAL” and “NO, ELIZABETH WARREN DOES NOT HAVE A RACIST ARTIFACT IN HER KITCHEN” are not things I would put on a campaign website in huge, bold type. Then again, maybe that’s why I’m not making millions in political consulting fees.

So Harris already backtracking on Med-4-All? Now open to keeping private insurers in the game. Took long...Just wanted the spotlight, so backed a Bernie-led idea for 48 hours or so. Fake.
What she's saying is that she gets that Medicare for All won't be accomplished in 4 years or 8 years, and there are things we can and should  do in the meantime. This is political reality, and good for her for being honest about it.  Let's see how honest some of her opponents are. 

I’m a big fan of Warren and her policies, I really am. I also think her political judgement is...comically bad? Her website features this insane page that amplifies some bat#### conspiracy theories about her. “NO, ELIZABETH DOES NOT TAKE RISPERDAL” and “NO, ELIZABETH WARREN DOES NOT HAVE A RACIST ARTIFACT IN HER KITCHEN” are not things I would put on a campaign website in huge, bold type. Then again, maybe that’s why I’m not making millions in political consulting fees.
She can't be the nominee.  She might lose to Trump.  Trump is in her head. 

What she's saying is that she gets that Medicare for All won't be accomplished in 4 years or 8 years, and there are things we can and should  do in the meantime. This is political reality, and good for her for being honest about it.  Let's see how honest some of her opponents are. 
And as we all know step 1 of not doing something is saying you can't do something. Well done.

A WaPo/ABC poll this week had 56% of respondents stating that they would "definitely not vote" for Trump in 2020. After subtracting the inevitable six million third party voters, that works out to a Don deficit of nine or ten million votes. He would really need a giant horseshoe up his butt to win with those totals.

A WaPo/ABC poll this week had 56% of respondents stating that they would "definitely not vote" for Trump in 2020. After subtracting the inevitable six million third party voters, that works out to a Don deficit of nine or ten million votes. He would really need a giant horseshoe up his butt to win with those totals.
7 to 1 odds again?

roadkill1292 said:
PA, WI, MI, OH, and FL. National polls mean less than nothing. He could lose the popular by 20 millions but he needs swing states like those for a win.

PA, WI, MI, OH, and FL. National polls mean less than nothing. He could lose the popular by 20 millions but he needs swing states like those for a win.
If he loses the popular vote by 20 million then he probably isn't getting any of those states and you can throw in Arizona and Georgia along with them.

And another thing, if the Dem candidate wins the popular vote by 20 million and still loses to Trump, then Pubbies better make sure they hang on to both houses of Congress and the White House because the second they don't , the Electoral College is dead. The next generation of voters simply isn't going to continue supporting an electoral system that lets that happen.

I'm pretty glad the timschochets werent running things in the 20th century. Beating the nazis, developing our nuclear program and our space program would have never been done.
I’m pretty glad the Dedfins weren’t running things in the 20th Century. Beating the Nazis, developing our nuclear program and our space program would never have been done. FDR, Truman, amd Eisenhower were Presidents who understood the political realities and that good was not the enemy of perfect. 

AP Politics‏ @AP_Politics 15m15 minutes ago

Sen. Amy Klobuchar to make 2020 announcement on Sunday
I’m not sure how I feel about this. I like Klobuchar, but I hate announcements. (Or rather, I hate announcements about announcements. I know they all do it. I hate it every time.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not sure how I feel about this. I like Klobuchar, but I hate announcements. (Or rather, I hate announcements about announcements. I know they all do it. I hate it every time.)
Well, otherwise we’d all tune in halfway through when she’s already kind of done the announcement. 

Kind of amazin'

There have been 1,974 United States Senators.

Only 10 have been African Americans (Obama was the 5th / 3rd elected); Booker is one of three currently sitting (all-time high).

There have been 56 female Senators. 25 are current members (all-time high), and probably five Democratic women running (Gabbard, Gillebrand, Harris, Klobuchar, Warren.)

Juxtaposed against the Individual 1, I feel really good about 2020.

Kind of amazin'

Only 10 have been African Americans (Obama was the 5th / 3rd elected); Booker is one of three currently sitting (all-time high).

There have been 56 female Senators. 25 are current members (all-time high), and probably five Democratic women running (Gabbard, Gillebrand, Harris, Klobuchar, Warren.)

I'm pleased with the recent progress but I don't feel very good about 2020. The Electoral College and an electorate with an aversion to progress give that awful man a good chance of being re-elected.

Klobuchar is the only announced Democratic candidate in the Senate to vote for Rubio's turd sandwich of a bill allowing states to punish private entities for boycotting Israel.

Kind of amazin'

Electing a female president in 2020 will be a terrific outcome for the country and for future history.

Men should face facts that women as a gender are smarter, more pragmatic, and better problem solvers then men, and one will make a great president, especially compared to the current louse.

Kirsten Gillibrand‏ @SenGillibrand 12h12 hours ago

President Trump seems not to understand that the female jobs he created were Democratic women in Congress.

Nobody liked the big speech and roll out?  I’m old enough to remember when the “I love Liz Warren” thread was packed with FBG fanboys and she was unstoppable.  

ABC News‏ @ABC 7m7 minutes ago

BREAKING:

Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren announces 2020 presidential campaign. "I stand here today to declare that I am a candidate for President of the United States of America."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/elizabeth-warren-gears-official-2020-presidential-launch-massachusetts/story?id=60941254
She just doesn't get it. The sad thing is that she probably pre-planned this announcement in 2012, and never once adjusted her strategy after totally fumbling the response to the blowback about her Native American status.

She is acting like a person who already went through the "contrition and forgiveness" cycle, when in fact she has experienced neither of those things.

Maybe I’m wrong but it seems to me Warren undercuts Sanders if he chooses to run and vice versa. If one or the other runs I think they can jockey for 1st or 2nd but both in together would limit them both.

What’s the list of who’s currently running?
https://ballotpedia.org/Presidential_candidates,_2020

The following elected officials and notable public figures have filed to run for president with the Federal Election Commission or announced exploratory committees.

Elizabeth Warren (D), a U.S. senator from Massachusetts, announced she was running for president on February 9, 2019.Cite error: Closing </ref> missing for <ref> tag

Pete Buttigieg (D), the mayor of South Bend, Indiana, announced that he was running for president on January 23, 2019.[8]

Julian Castro (D), a former U.S. secretary of housing and urban development and San Antonio mayor, formally announced his candidacy on January 12, 2019.[9]

John Delaney (D), a former U.S. representative from Maryland, filed to run for president on August 10, 2017.

Tulsi Gabbard (D), a U.S. representative from Hawaii, announced that she had decided to run for president on January 11, 2019.[10]

Kirsten Gillibrand (D), a U.S. senator from New York, announced that she was running for president on January 15, 2019.[11]

Kamala Harris (D), a U.S. senator from California, announced that she was running for president on January 21, 2019.[12]

President Donald Trump (R) filed to run for re-election in 2020 on January 20, 2017.

Elizabeth Warren (D), U.S. senator from Massachusetts, announced she had formed an exploratory committee on December 31, 2018.[13]

Marianne Williamson (D), an author and lecturer, announced she was running for president on January 28, 2019.[14]

Andrew Yang (D), an entrepreneur from New York, filed to run for president on November 6, 2017.

I like Lawrence Mass, I have spent some time there. You really have to see the size of some of those old plants she was talking about. That is a tough old sad town, and sometimes beautiful, but those factory jobs are not coming back. Technology has changed.

And frankly the ‘rigged’ talk was exactly what Trump was selling. 

Looking more and more like he is going to run.

Texas Tribune‏ @TexasTribune 14h14 hours ago

Beto O'Rourke will march and speak against the border wall during the Donald Trump rally in El Paso on Monday.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/02/08/beto-orourke-march-trump-rally-el-paso/?utm_campaign=trib-social&utm_content=1549675131&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter
Beto's map of March For Truth:

Beto O'Rourke‏ @BetoORourke 3h3 hours ago

https://twitter.com/BetoORourke/status/1094288322007101442

Users who are viewing this thread