What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 NY Mets - Let The Purge begin. (1 Viewer)

jamny

Footballguy
Projected lineup:

• Nimmo/Lagares - placeholder for Conforto
  • Cespedes
  • Bruce
  • Frazier
  • A. Gonzalez
  • A. Cabrera
  • dArnaud
  • Rosario
Starters:

• Syndergaard
  • DeGrom
  • Harvey
  • Matz
  • Vargas
The pressure will be on A.Gone in the early going to perform. If he doesn't hit and Nimmo does, there's a good chance that Bruce will move to 1B when Conforto comes back. Dominic Smith is also waiting in the wings. I think it's a pretty solid team that will be able to compete for a playoff spot if the pitching can stay healthy. dArnaud is looking really good in spring so a breakout year from him would be huge, as would a comeback year from Harvey.

Clean slate!  LETS GO METS!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Lagares still has a shot to start in CF as Callaway has stated his preference for defense at the position. Nimmo has cooled down after a great start to spring so this looks like it will come down to the wire. Lagares has played CF in 4 of the last 5 spring games.

Conforto hit 2 HR's in a minor league game and looks to only be on the 10 day DL to start the season.

Leadoff hitter

Without Michael Conforto, the Mets lack an everyday leadoff hitter. Conforto is not expected back until May 1, and the team needs a serviceable option for that month he's sidelined although it's possible he could return before then.

Brandon Nimmo is the best option the Mets have, but he is not going to be an everyday starter since Juan Lagares will also start. When Nimmo starts, expect to see him in that spot. He has elite plate discipline, and has played well in camp.

The tougher question is which hitter will be the leadoff batter when Nimmo sits since there is not an obvious answer, but keep an eye on Asdrubal Cabrera.

Cabrera has been used in that role during camp, and he posted a .351 on-base percentage last year. Cabrera seemingly makes more sense than using Lagares, whose plate discipline is lacking, and Todd Frazier, who is better suited for lower in the order. 

link

I don't see why they wouldn't take the chance to see what Rosario could do when Lagares is in CF.

Wheeler doing his best to start the season in the minors. Lugo might have jumped ahead of him for any possible starts although Vargas might be back for his first turn.

jamny said:
Conforto hit 2 HR's in a minor league game and looks to only be on the 10 day DL to start the season.
Follows that up with hitting for the cycle the next day in a minor league game. Expected to start on Sunday with the Mets. Might not miss any time.

Follows that up with hitting for the cycle the next day in a minor league game. Expected to start on Sunday with the Mets. Might not miss any time.
I'd think the biggest concern with Conforto was the swing... that's how he injured it, and likely what exerts the most pressure/stress.  Also presume that he's in decent shape overall, since it's not like he's been on the shelf with a leg injury, immobilized.

If he has full week of swinging it well, what would be accomplished by him playing the same games in the minors he would in the big leagues?

That said, I'd not be surprised if he gets some rest and they want to work on making sure he's fully prepped, not just healed, and hold him out a week or so, but have to be pleased with the progress to date. 

It's the years no one is looking where the Mets do well... and if (the world's biggest) most of their pitching can hold up, it's really a pretty decent lineup, with some upside from there.  And while they are a frugal team in the offseason, we have seen where if we are really in the hunt, ownership is willing to spend big for a guy for the remainder of the season, and sometimes longer (ala Piazza as just one example).

I would hope that they take it easy with Conforto in the early going. They have that luxury with Nimmo and Lagares. It was a freak injury so I don't know about the likelihood of a reaccurance.

Matt Ehalt of The Daily Bergen Record reports that the Mets have discussed adding free agent reliever Greg Holland.

Holland, 32, is the last of the high-profile free agent pitchers still on the market. He turned down a $17.4 million qualifying offer to open the offseason, and while a few teams have reportedly expressed interest in the reliever, there hasn't been much fire to the smoke. As Ehalt notes, it'd give the Mets one of the better bullpens right now with Jeurys Familia, A.J. Ramos and Jerry Blevins already in New York. This could be an interesting fit. - Rotoworld
Would make for a solid bullpen.

The Mets won a world series title before they won an opening day game. Since then though, they have a very solid opening day record. Looking good to keep that going this year against the Cards, 8-4 in the bottom of the 8th.

Great start for the Mets, but then we've been pretty spoiled by opening day wins.  It was nice to see a large number of walks for the team.  Hopefully they can continue to exhibit some plate discipline going forward.

Loving everything out of Callaway so far.  Seemingly polar opposite of Collins in terms of preparation.  I know much ado was made about his initial press conference and "loving the players" (Boomer and Gio had been riding him hard about that) but if "loving the players" means giving enough of a #### about them to create throwing programs for the pitchers for the first time ever (how is this even remotely possible?) managing these guys with reason, logic and transparency, then love away Mick!

realistically, after degrom and noah, the other 3 SP games are crap shoots.  harvey, matz and lugo simply aren’t that good or reliable.  

He was good, not great.  He missed his spots at times but he had good movement on the fastball and had a lot more swing and misses then last year.  Overall, really encouraging sign for his first time out. 
I don't like this met trend of 100 pitches thru 4 innings.  Harvey thru almost 90 pitches in 5 innings, yielding 1 hit and 5 ks.  Matz is a pitch machine too.  I have been impressed with Lugo and GiselleBundrenMan in the pen.  If they want to be an elite staff, time to start pitching 7 innings every now and then.  Conforto getting helthy means Lagares will see less playing time, which is a plus.  Wish this team had spent on a 1b.  I don't want to root for AGonz.

Nice start so far.  Can't believe what Robles and the bullpen as a whole has done. Don't understand Reyes getting starts over Rosario at this point....hopefully Callaway wakes up on that one soon.  If the starters get come up with some quality starts (only 1 so far)....oh boy...this team is going to be dangerous.  Of course they need to stay healthy. 

Don't understand Reyes getting starts over Rosario at this point....hopefully Callaway wakes up on that one soon. 
For now I'll give Callaway the benefit of the doubt, hoping he's just trying to keep pressure off of Rosario to let him develop. Probably the same reason why he didn't throw him into the leadoff spot right away. But yeah, from the outside, it doesn't make much sense, especially with Rosario off to a good start.

For now I'll give Callaway the benefit of the doubt, hoping he's just trying to keep pressure off of Rosario to let him develop. Probably the same reason why he didn't throw him into the leadoff spot right away. But yeah, from the outside, it doesn't make much sense, especially with Rosario off to a good start.
Agreed, Callaway has been nothing but a positive so far..... but Reyes has no business playing SS when we have Rosario.  I just didn't understand it, especially when Rosario hit a game winning triple the day before.,,,,and that throw home by Reyes yesterday.   :X   

Dude.

DUUUUUDE.

Early, but showing the potential IF healthy and IF we get some pitching behind Degrom and Thor as mentioned. Bullpen? Check. Harvey/Matz? Might just do it.

Do that and keep Conforto and (or for bits and pieces only) Cespedes and this tram has talent across the board: Offense, Pitching even Defense to a much larger degree than last year (Todd alone at 3B)

Dude.

DUUUUUDE.

Early, but showing the potential IF healthy and IF we get some pitching behind Degrom and Thor as mentioned. Bullpen? Check. Harvey/Matz? Might just do it.

Do that and keep Conforto and (or for bits and pieces only) Cespedes and this tram has talent across the board: Offense, Pitching even Defense to a much larger degree than last year (Todd alone at 3B)
Yeah, the problem is that they don't seem to have much quality depth in the minors. It really is "enjoy it while you can" because a major injury will be tough to overcome.

But no reason to worry about that yet!

Yeah, the problem is that they don't seem to have much quality depth in the minors. It really is "enjoy it while you can" because a major injury will be tough to overcome.

But no reason to worry about that yet!
Also, the team has shown an in season aggressiveness at times, and once every 15-20 years goes a little nuts and signs a true superstar.

If we are in it and need tools a trade or two I believe we will... with the tiny fraction of a chance that they go get the next Piazza (Manny, is that you?)

Mets relief pitching has been great so far.  Can't imagine it is sustainable, but if Thor and De Grom stay healthy, the Mets should finish slightly above .500.

As to the Mets starters not going over 5 innings, I think that is more endemic to baseball these days.  The thought is that BA goes way up the third time through the lineup so you need a strong bullpen.

kentric said:
Mets relief pitching has been great so far.  Can't imagine it is sustainable, but if Thor and De Grom stay healthy, the Mets should finish slightly above .500.

As to the Mets starters not going over 5 innings, I think that is more endemic to baseball these days.  The thought is that BA goes way up the third time through the lineup so you need a strong bullpen.
6 inning max games have to stop.  This bullpen is not that good.  If Syndergaard is to be considered elite, he needs to be able to throw more than 4-6 innings and 80 pitches.  I would rather Syndergaard in the 7th than Robles.  Also, I saw the mets called up Oswalt......have to assume Matz or Harvey are hurt.

Brandon Nimmo probably isn't going to be a star but the Mets' handling of him is bizarre.
I think he's being used pretty much as expected. Unless Bruce goes to 1B, there's no place for Nimmo in the OF and A.Gone is doing well at 1B so no need to bench him.

I think he's being used pretty much as expected. Unless Bruce goes to 1B, there's no place for Nimmo in the OF and A.Gone is doing well at 1B so no need to bench him.
True but the Mets resigned/brought in those other guys over the off-season which makes Nimmo's situation kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

True but the Mets resigned/brought in those other guys over the off-season which makes Nimmo's situation kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy.
I like Nimmo a lot, but how is it bizarre? Baseball's a long season. I'd rather have a kid, exciting and with promise as he is, not play as much as maybe we'd like while having additional depth both in game and certainly season long.  ESPECIALLY with the preseason questions re Conforto and always have some wariness with Ces.

You locals have seen a lot more of Nimmo but from the other side of the country he hasn't looked overmatched against big league RHP, can play all 2 1/2 OF positions and will take a walk.  Maybe he'll never hit lefties but a even if he can't, a CF platoon with Lagares could be a 3 WAR combination.   He's had over 750 PAs at AAA and doesn't have anything to prove there.  I don't like the idea that the Mets seem to have gone out of their way to block a 25 year old.

Anyway, he's out of options now so we'll find out no later than next year.

You locals have seen a lot more of Nimmo but from the other side of the country he hasn't looked overmatched against big league RHP, can play all 2 1/2 OF positions and will take a walk.  Maybe he'll never hit lefties but a even if he can't, a CF platoon with Lagares could be a 3 WAR combination.   He's had over 750 PAs at AAA and doesn't have anything to prove there.  I don't like the idea that the Mets seem to have gone out of their way to block a 25 year old.

Anyway, he's out of options now so we'll find out no later than next year.
I love the kid and was scratching my head at sending him down, but he was the only one with options left apparently. He'll be back and he is definitely in our future plans.  They apparently had a chance to package him for Harrison or McCutchen and didn't bite.  Bruce also practiced a bit at first base yesterday which can occasionally get him in RF.  I really want to see him and Conforto at the top of the order....with our outfielders though....it's a nice problem to have all this depth. 

Nimmo is OK, to me he seems a solid 4th OFer.  He has limited power, limited speed, doesn't hit LHP well and is already 25.  He is blocked by Bruce and Cespedes on the corners, Conforto in CF.  I don't think the mets have gone out of their way to block him, I just don't think he adds much.  If Bruce goes to 1b, then we could see the dreaded nimmo/slugares platoon, but in watching AGonz, while I don't like him as a player, nor his age, his glove seems legit and if the mets are built on pitching, AG over Bruce at 1b seems a no brainer, so long as AG isn't a complete waste with the bat.  Slugares or Nimmo are likely trade bait, Nimmo moreso because of the 1st round pedigree and that he is arb eligible thru 2022.

Having some depth right now is a good thing, since no one can stay helfy anymore without steroids.

Users who are viewing this thread