What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MyFBG: new league import system (1 Viewer)

Simon Shepherd

Footballguy
Hey all,

While the offseason keeps things quieter, we have a great upgrade to MyFBG for everyone that we hope is going to make it so much easier to edit your fantasy leagues.

In the past, you've had to manually enter all the details about a league. We've synced rosters for a while with league providers, but it's always been clunky, requiring "linking" of leagues. And we'll be honest; it's often not been reliable enough.

We now have a brand new system. Our focus is on three main things:

1. make this as easy as possible to use - brand new simpler than ever UI for adding leagues
  2. make this as reliable as possible in how it works - behind the scenes testing and pro-active alerting when things don't go to plan
  3. import everything you need automatically - scoring, rosters, team names, lineup requirements, draft order, keepers...
Right now, we are setup for 2018 MFL leagues only. RT Sports and Fleaflicker are open for 2018 too and we will have them in the next 2-3 weeks too. As other providers come online, we'll add support there too.

Please check it out at https://my.footballguys.com . I will check back in this thread for any feedback or issues anyone comes across and as always we love to hear feedback.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant more along the lines of how successful it is.  I already see a whole bunch of scoring options and even positions (punter) not supported upon importing and IDP's aren't showing on the Rosters page.

Missed Field Goals by Distance
Fumble Return Yards
Interception Return Yards

The report was gone before I could see others.
Please let me know via PM your username and the league and an example of an IDP missing

footballguys has never supported punters or any of those scoring options. If more than five percent of leagues imported have those options, we’ll look into it.

aagh beyond frustrated this isn't working for you guys. Had all our staff check this out and fixed all errors they reported. We also generated lots of MFL leagues with every rule and MFL deviation we could find.

If you are experiencing issues, please PM me your username with details of the issue so I can look into it. I'll post updates here.

Please note we're not expanding the types of leagues we support - we're not about to start doing projections for punters or 2 point conversions returned the other way. But the ease of use should be much higher than its been in the past.

I really need to hear from someone who is having the "user has no teams" error - I just need a username for a footballguys account and the name of the league with the issue so I can look into the cause there.

@Hankmoody I've not heard from you to be able to look into your IDP issue. But I think I found your FBG username and the league affected. If you could PM me those details that will certainly save some guessing on my part.

I will get this working 100% flawlessly as soon as possible.

aagh beyond frustrated this isn't working for you guys. Had all our staff check this out and fixed all errors they reported. We also generated lots of MFL leagues with every rule and MFL deviation we could find.

If you are experiencing issues, please PM me your username with details of the issue so I can look into it. I'll post updates here.

Please note we're not expanding the types of leagues we support - we're not about to start doing projections for punters or 2 point conversions returned the other way. But the ease of use should be much higher than its been in the past.

I really need to hear from someone who is having the "user has no teams" error - I just need a username for a footballguys account and the name of the league with the issue so I can look into the cause there.

@Hankmoody I've not heard from you to be able to look into your IDP issue. But I think I found your FBG username and the league affected. If you could PM me those details that will certainly save some guessing on my part.

I will get this working 100% flawlessly as soon as possible.
I've found that I get the "user has no teams" error when logging into MFL with my email address. Using my MFL username instead found all my teams and the import was successful.

Great update so far. Imported earlier today and there were lots of IDP players that needed attention, but just deleted and re-imported after I saw some additional updates and everything looks good. Just a few things I have noticed:

Tackles for losses isn't supported as of yet but I do understand the 5% rule and it's not a huge issue.

The my fbg link doesn't work off the homepage once clicked then try to edit/link/modify leagues. Can someone place the link listed in this thread There - then we don't have to come back to the thread to then sync rosters and such? 

Both minor issues overall incredibly happy with the new roll out!

Dacomish said:
Great update so far. Imported earlier today and there were lots of IDP players that needed attention, but just deleted and re-imported after I saw some additional updates and everything looks good. Just a few things I have noticed:

Tackles for losses isn't supported as of yet but I do understand the 5% rule and it's not a huge issue.

The my fbg link doesn't work off the homepage once clicked then try to edit/link/modify leagues. Can someone place the link listed in this thread There - then we don't have to come back to the thread to then sync rosters and such? 

Both minor issues overall incredibly happy with the new roll out!
thanks @Dacomish for the broken link spot. I've fixed that up now to redirect to the correct place.

I expect tackles for a loss is amongst the most popular items we're missing. We'll do a review of this once we get into the season and work out what settings we'll add for 2019 onwards.

Amazing!  Absolutely amazing!  Put in my info (using username) and it imported 15 leagues.  There do seem to be a lot of issues, but it looks like you are working through them.

For unrecognized players there is an indication that FBG will receive this info to match up players.  Is the same true for scoring categories that you don't recognize?  The primary ones that I am noticing are missed FG by distance, the 1 point safety and 2 point conversion return, and all IDP scoring.

I also noticed that IDP players don't carry over.  Is that just a short-term issue with the IDP players being mapped once you get the offensive side up and running?

If this works as advertised and as it appears right now, you've saved me at least an hour or two of work in inputting leagues.

I've been playing with this a bit deeper.  I saw an error message about leagues with multiple copies of each player.  The error message seemed to indicate that free agent tracking would be impacted.  But I also notice that rosters aren't loading as well.  Is this something that will be addressed?

thanks,

I've been playing with this a bit deeper.  I saw an error message about leagues with multiple copies of each player.  The error message seemed to indicate that free agent tracking would be impacted.  But I also notice that rosters aren't loading as well.  Is this something that will be addressed?

thanks,
double player pools won't be supported this year for sure. We'll look at how many leagues are using those when the season is under way to see if it's something that we should do for 2019 onwards.

The system though should be importing some kind of rosters for the league - so at least it can be used for lineup advice in the context of the players you have on your team. So if you could PM me your username and the name of the league I'd be happy to look into that for you and get that fixed.

A quick note to all - under Details is a button "League Import Issues" that you can use to see these warnings at any time, even after you close the import leagues window.

double player pools won't be supported this year for sure. We'll look at how many leagues are using those when the season is under way to see if it's something that we should do for 2019 onwards.

The system though should be importing some kind of rosters for the league - so at least it can be used for lineup advice in the context of the players you have on your team. So if you could PM me your username and the name of the league I'd be happy to look into that for you and get that fixed.

A quick note to all - under Details is a button "League Import Issues" that you can use to see these warnings at any time, even after you close the import leagues window.
Thank you.  PM sent.

@Athletic Supporter as always, we're just trying to do what's best for our customer base. The reality is not many people play in leagues with this setting. At least - that's our guess! So now we are collecting this data we can know for sure and add support for what people need the most.

What I don't understand is why you wouldn't support something MFL has already done the work for you on?  They already score those options, it's part of the API, why wouldn't you just import that along with everything else?  It makes the tool near worthless if we have to go back to MFL anyway.

To clarify the IDP part, it's importing them but they are not displaying on the functions under Waiver and Trades on the lower left. https://my.footballguys.com/#fbgroster/roster

@Simon Shepherd

Does not support Total Touchdowns and Does not support Rushing + Receiving Yards.  Can we get that corrected?   Thanks
Hi there,

Touchdowns are all supported individually.

Rushing and receiving yards combined are not supported. This new system doesn't mean we support every scoring that's possible on MFL because that's a fool's errand. But anything above 5% usage across our users' leagues, we will for sure look at.

What I don't understand is why you wouldn't support something MFL has already done the work for you on?  They already score those options, it's part of the API, why wouldn't you just import that along with everything else?  It makes the tool near worthless if we have to go back to MFL anyway.

To clarify the IDP part, it's importing them but they are not displaying on the functions under Waiver and Trades on the lower left. https://my.footballguys.com/#fbgroster/roster
because we have to project them too. MFL gives us codes for this stuff but we have to translate that to our internal projections/stats system. Sometimes it's easier than other times to do this. But while we roll all this new stuff out I want to keep the scope of the scoring settings that we support the same. This will give us a really good idea of the most popular rules we are missing so we can then prioritize which ones to add.

Could you get me a screenshot of the Waiver/Trade screen with where you'd expect to see them? Just take my last name and @ footballguys.com it for my email.

No, I'm afraid no plans to do that this year. We will record manual leagues added in terms of which host they are on, so we can look at the 5% rule here and if Fantrax is up at that number we will for sure look to support it.
Thanks.  Bummer.  I’m shocked Fantrax isn’t above 5% usage.  

Is there any way you could list the sites above the 5% threshold?  My league is talking about making a change and list would be helpful for the discussion.  Thx.  

Thanks.  Bummer.  I’m shocked Fantrax isn’t above 5% usage.  

Is there any way you could list the sites above the 5% threshold?  My league is talking about making a change and list would be helpful for the discussion.  Thx.  
The actual numbers are ridiculously slanted towards Yahoo and ESPN. Even on our systems those two sites account for 80%+ of the leagues we have. I'm sure if we did the survey over shark pool users only it might come out differently!

Honestly, I would be surprised if Fantrax is above 1%. But that's entirely based on a guess on how many people have asked for it in the last calendar year. It's really important that we stop guessing and if it is above 5% we know about it and implement it. And that's how we're looking at this moving forwards.

The hosts we support right now are:

- ESPN

- Yahoo

- CBS

- MFL

- FFPC

- Fleaflicker

- RT Sports

- NFL.com

Other ones that are on our radar are:

- Fox sports

- Fantrax

- Sleeperbot

- FFWC

Please feel free to add to that second list so I can make sure there's options to select them.

Thanks for the list Simon.  

That totally makes sense and I fully agree with you guys having some kind of cut off line to determine where to put your resources.  The reason I'm surprised about Fantrax is I found out about it here so I thought it was more popular, but your comments about the shark pool vs the rest also make sense.  

Keep up the great work.  You guys are doing an awesome job!

Simon Shepherd said:
Hi there,

Touchdowns are all supported individually.

Rushing and receiving yards combined are not supported. This new system doesn't mean we support every scoring that's possible on MFL because that's a fool's errand. But anything above 5% usage across our users' leagues, we will for sure look at.
@Joe Bryant

All of my leagues are setup for all Touchdowns instead of setting up 10-12 individual categories.  Same with combining rushing and receiving yards since they are the same yardage in most leagues.

Come on guys, at least support the same functionality you've always had.  MYFBG allowed us to plug in our league scoring in 2 minutes and everything worked.  Now, you're telling me I have to get my commissioners to change the way MFL is setup so this app. will work.   I don't mean to be mean here but that's horrible.  It feels like this new cloud version of MYFBG has been in the works for well over a year.  It doesn't not take long to code in touchdowns and total yardage, the two main fantasy football categories.  Like last season, can we please have the current version of MYFBG working until the new version has the same functionality.  This is yet another offseason we are doing without for dynasty leagues.

@Joe Bryant

All of my leagues are setup for all Touchdowns instead of setting up 10-12 individual categories.  Same with combining rushing and receiving yards since they are the same yardage in most leagues.

Come on guys, at least support the same functionality you've always had.  MYFBG allowed us to plug in our league scoring in 2 minutes and everything worked.  Now, you're telling me I have to get my commissioners to change the way MFL is setup so this app. will work.   I don't mean to be mean here but that's horrible.  It feels like this new cloud version of MYFBG has been in the works for well over a year.  It doesn't not take long to code in touchdowns and total yardage, the two main fantasy football categories.  Like last season, can we please have the current version of MYFBG working until the new version has the same functionality.  This is yet another offseason we are doing without for dynasty leagues.
hey @Ramblin Wreck

Let me first assure you I am here working on this project for no other reason than to make your life easier! This project has only been in the works since around the Super Bowl. It's early days and I'm sure from this start things are only going to get cleaner.

The TL;DR of this post is going to be, PM me your FBG username and the name of the MFL league concerned and I'll get this working for you. Any league we supported in the past we will continue to support, 100%. I need to know the exact yardage types this rules include too (scrimmage? ST returns? or literally every type of yard/TD?)

I want to just explain how I got to the point of saying these combined totals are not supported, so that you can understand why that decision was made. In all the tests leagues I had, these scoring categories were only used for advanced bonuses, not for "shortcuts" on the behalf of the commish, meaning they don't have to setup the same rules multiple times. So for example, I had a rule like, when combined rushing and receiving gets to 100 yards, give the player a 2 pt bonus.

When we have projections for the whole season, along with games played, there's some advanced math that was given to me by @Doug Drinen to calculate the chance that a WR hits a certain yardage in any given game. Because of course a WR projected for 1000 yards is going to hit the 100 yardage mark a slightly different amount of times than a 1000 yard rusher might hit the 100 yardage mark (and I think too even a 1000 yard TE hitting 100 yards). And certainly differently from a 4000 yard passer hitting the 400 yard mark. I know Doug had to run a ton of numbers and it was fairly time consuming to come up with those formulas. When we did this we added support for literally any yardage number too. I don't want to trouble him for even more formulas for combined yardage across all the positions, and then too perhaps only rush + receiving, then perhaps absolutely everything... it could get messy quick.

So for that reason, during testing, this was not a scoring rule I wanted to support.

You're bringing to light a new use of this rule that I was just not aware of; that it might be used as a shortcut by the commish to prevent tedious entry. I had not seen that before and since that's consistent with what we've supported in past years of course we will support it this year.

My question for you (which I want to ask because MFL's allRules doc does not make this 100% clear) is exactly what yardage and TDs are included in these rules? Just yards/TDs from scrimmage or returns too? Punt/kick only or INT/fumble as well?

I will get this included in the release on Tuesday.

I don't think the calls to bring back last year's version are warranted. Running two systems side by side is a logistical nightmare for us and we'd much rather collect feedback and react quickly for any changes that we need to make. I know of just one other issue other than the one you've raised with MFL and both will be fixed up on Tuesday. And of course I don't agree at all that this is another offseason without dynasty leagues. Leagues are easier than ever to import and add. From this Tuesday - still weeks before the draft - all leagues live for 2018 on FFPC, RT Sports, Fleaflicker and MFL will be supported in this new system.

MFL is currently down for maintenance. They'll be a sensible error message on our side soon. But until they're back up, logging into MFL, importing leagues or syncing leagues won't work, unfortunately.

Edit: the system now reports a sensible error. As soon as MFL is back online, it'll start working again on our side too (as long as they didn't make any breaking changes to their API during maintenance)

I get 22 Scoring event not supported  :lmao:
Hi @The Man With No Name

I'm presuming that this just came through as a warning. I imagine what you actually got was an imported league, with a warning message that a scoring rule was not supported. Rather than a "computer says no" moment.

Please can you PM me here your username and the name of the league so I can look into that and fix it for you.

I think I saw this error come through and it confused me, because there is no scoring rule called "22" listed in the MFL allRules doc, which I spent a very fun day going through and parsing! (http://www03.myfantasyleague.com/2018/export?TYPE=allRules) If you can shed any light for me on what that scoring rule means, that might help too.

Thanks.

First, sending my appreciation to Simon for rolling this out ... and rolling it out this early in the off season.

Question: What determines your listing order within positions?  I would expect alphabetic, since that is the way MFL sorts them, but that is not completely true.  Almost, but there are a few outliers.

- Joe

First, sending my appreciation to Simon for rolling this out ... and rolling it out this early in the off season.

Question: What determines your listing order within positions?  I would expect alphabetic, since that is the way MFL sorts them, but that is not completely true.  Almost, but there are a few outliers.

- Joe
Thanks Joe.

Where are you looking for the listing order within positions? Do you mean, how we order QB, RB etc when we list scoring rules?

Most of the time positions end up getting sorted by their position within this array:

['qb', 'rb', 'wr', 'te', 'pk', 'td', 'dl', 'dt', 'de', 'lb', 'ilb', 'olb', 'db', 's', 'cb']

As that's how most fantasy football players are conditioned to seeing them listed on, for instance, fantasy rosters.

I'm looking for the listing *within" each position group.  For example, here a list of (motley) RBs for one of my team:

• J. Stewart
  • C. Ivory
  • J. Howard
  • M. Gillislee
  • M. Mack
  • C. Thompson
  • G. Bernard
How is this sorted?  Can I change how it's sorted?? etc ...

Note: I would have attached an actual image from the tool if I knew how.

- Joe

because we have to project them too. MFL gives us codes for this stuff but we have to translate that to our internal projections/stats system. Sometimes it's easier than other times to do this. But while we roll all this new stuff out I want to keep the scope of the scoring settings that we support the same. This will give us a really good idea of the most popular rules we are missing so we can then prioritize which ones to add.

Could you get me a screenshot of the Waiver/Trade screen with where you'd expect to see them? Just take my last name and @ footballguys.com it for my email.
Sent a week ago, haven't heard back.

Sent a week ago, haven't heard back.
I never got this; sorry! Can you send it into apps@footballguys.com FAO Simon and I'll for sure pick it up there. We re-routed my @footballguys.com address recently so something must be messy there. Will look into that too.

*edit: definitely getting emails into that address. Make sure the last name is spelt correctly, it's shepherd (at sign here) footballguys.com

Crash and Walk Away said:
I'm looking for the listing *within" each position group.  For example, here a list of (motley) RBs for one of my team:

• J. Stewart
  • C. Ivory
  • J. Howard
  • M. Gillislee
  • M. Mack
  • C. Thompson
  • G. Bernard
How is this sorted?  Can I change how it's sorted?? etc ...

Note: I would have attached an actual image from the tool if I knew how.

- Joe
On which page is that listed? The rosters are shown in lots of different places, both on the new system and MyFBG classic.

Just to update everyone again:

The next release on this will be this Thursday.

It will add support for:

• FFPC
  • RT Sports
  • Fleaflicker
It will also fix some minor (as in, not affecting many users) MFL issues.

No other provider that we have historically supported are yet online for 2018, but as soon as they come online, we'll be working on integrating them.

As for data, within 2 weeks of the draft finishing, we'll have projections and can then start to get tools online for the preseason. I'm really excited to get the Draft Dominator out there for this year, as I know entering keepers and draft order for dynasty leagues has been ridiculously tedious in previous years. That will work on automated import, even down to keepers added to specific picks in the draft.

hey all,

This release is now live. Please do let me know if anything strange happens with your league. We've manually entered 5-10 leagues on each platform and tried to cover every rule combo we can, but it's inevitable we won't have covered every last possibility.

It's at:

https://my.footballguys.com/#fbgmy/leagues

So import them and don't project them, or project 0.  I don't even use projections, I just want the scoring as my MFL league has it so it's accurate and I guarantee I am not alone in this.  There are a ton of reports that run not on projections but on raw stats - the trade advice, waiver wire analysis, basic scoring reports.

So import them and don't project them, or project 0.  I don't even use projections, I just want the scoring as my MFL league has it so it's accurate and I guarantee I am not alone in this.  There are a ton of reports that run not on projections but on raw stats - the trade advice, waiver wire analysis, basic scoring reports.
I'm not sure I understand.

Surely you make trades and want trade advice based on what is going to happen (projections) rather than what has happened (stats)?

As I see it, if you want to see what's happened at any time, your league provider is going to be giving you stats reports on their own systems - or more importantly, your league's current standings and results.

Where we come in is trying to help you predict what will happen, and that means projections have to be involved.

What am I missing?

I'm not sure I understand.

Surely you make trades and want trade advice based on what is going to happen (projections) rather than what has happened (stats)?

As I see it, if you want to see what's happened at any time, your league provider is going to be giving you stats reports on their own systems - or more importantly, your league's current standings and results.

Where we come in is trying to help you predict what will happen, and that means projections have to be involved.

What am I missing?
Well you already aren't projecting them, so a zero projection gives me the exact same information and analysis that you are already providing me by not projecting them at all.  I'm not losing anything with that.

What I'm gaining is that the reports I run and analyze on my own are now accurate.  A huge part of the benefit of this system is that we have one interface to run all our leagues from.  I can bookmark 10 different MFL stat pages and go to each one and run 5 pulldowns on each one, or I can do all of that on a single page here.  Some of your reports are even more robust than the MFL equivalents are and I strongly prefer to use this page to consolidate all of that info - that's a huge value-add.  But it loses its luster if it's wrong and I have to run that stuff on MFL to trust it.

Users who are viewing this thread