What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MLB 2018 (2 Viewers)

KarmaPolice

Footballguy
I didn't see the baseball thread from last year, but thought we should have a new one anyway.  

Got excited because I saw that FD has their stuff up for opening day.  Let's do this!

Looks like Fanduel is doing something different this year.  No more C and 1B as a separate thing.  Now it's C/1B and there is a Utility spot.  

Hmmm..

Hmm not sure I like that. I like punting C using a cheap backup with upside or cheap guy with good matchup.
Yeah, I am not sure what to do about that either.  It might still be useful to use a cheap C if there isn't value anywhere else, but how do you pass up trying to jam 2 3B or 1B in there?

Ive dabbled in MLB dfs but never had much success, what type of stacking is involved?  
@RatrodGasser

Fanduel allows you 4 players on the same team, DK does 5.  

The most obvious is just to jam in batters 1-3 or 1-4 of the highest projected total teams of the day, but that is also the obvious play so I think to mix it up in gpps, you need to go lower owned at the other spots if you do that or look for different ways to attack the stacks, especially in the high entry gpps. 

One problem with the highlighted, is that a lot of times it's the best players on the best teams so you are probably dumpster diving the rest of the way to jam them in.   So for Thursday I have a LU with 1-4 of the Yankees and to do that I would have to go pretty cheap at SS, 2B, and sub 7.5K at SP (Fanduel prices).  So for a place holder I currently have Albies, Devers, Arcia, and Chase Anderson around that stack.  

Personally, I have had a little more luck going the other route with the stacks and doing different things like:

1.  Unconventional stacks:

• leaving out the popular player(s) - ie a Yankee stack like 1, 2, 4, 5 and leave out Stanton or Judge
  • a middle - bottom of the order stack on teams with depth.  ie an Astros stack with batters 4, 5, 6, 7.  
  • a wrap around stack - 9, 8, 1, 2.  
2.  Targeting teams not at the top, and looking for:

• teams travelling away from their normal run-suppressing ballparks (Oak)
  • teams going against a bad SP and/or a bad bullpen
  • away teams in general, to get that guaranteed 9th inning at bat.  
  • Usually these are cheaper stacks and I can get better bats or another stack around it and/or a better SP with it.   Ie right now I have a Seattle 4man stack with Scherzer at SP and still had power upside with Gallo, JD Martinez, and Springer with it.  

Hopefully it's free again, but rotogrinders introduced their PlateIQ last year which I thought was great.  It helped us try to find batters that might be good to include for a stack that might go overlooked and SPs that might have success with their pitch profile vs. a teams' tendencies.  

Long story short, it's an unpredictable sport, so I would experiment with what you like and have fun with.  If I remember last year, I think I stacked more than others in here and was more likely to go with 2 different team stacks of 3-4 players each.  Others just went with either no stacks or just one stack of 3 players.  

Last edited by a moderator:
:excited:  

Looks like RGs stuff is starting to trickle out - some projections, etc..  Still doesn't look like their previous year stats are loaded.  

Quick look for cheap guys and they suggested Matt Kemp, N.Williams, H.Kendrick, and L.Duda as the best pt/$ values for the main slate  Duda's 2.5K, the other 3 are basically min priced.  

That's a lot to consider, looks like ive got some research ahead of me!  Should be fun though i think I'm going to play the .25 tourney on FD to start out.  I'm from KC and saw that the weather is going to be balmy and windy, blowing in from center......something to consider.  I was going to throw in some White Sox stacks until i saw that.

Looks like the Wash/Cinc game is already PPD and there are weather concerns in Det and maybe some wind in other places.  

I have 0 clue about ownership, but a couple stacks that I was looking as I scanned through with no stats were the Royals and the Brewers.  You can fit 4 of the main guys on each team easily with any SP you want.  Still waiting for the Plate IQ and other stuff to update so I can dig deeper and find out if they are good plays or what else to use.  

I think there are solid cheap guys everywhere to help out lineups.  

Looks like the Wash/Cinc game is already PPD and there are weather concerns in Det and maybe some wind in other places.  
Definitely going to be rain for the Detroit game but it's supposed to be on the light side so it will probably play but rain thru out the game. I'm in an early only gpp so have had to get Nats out already. Think I'll stack Cubs and mix in some tigers/pirates for low ownership.

OK, RG updated their Plate IQ.  It looks like some info will be premium info, but holy #### - all the info they added is pretty amazing (and a little overwhelming).   Just about anything you would want to see, and now they have the batter info vs specific pitches that the SP throws.  

This is going to take some getting used to reading and what to look for quickly.   Over on the left there is a matchup column which is great for a quick scan - it shows how many batters they are going to face with a high K%, ISO, etc..  

Long story short - if they keep this free, I honestly don't know what other info you would need.  The reason I went to the other data sites was to see what type of pitches a SP threw and what their swinging strike rate is.  

ETA:  JFC - they even updated he heat maps so you can see wOBA, ISO, K%, etc.. for all the SP and batter zones.  

I am finding a lot of deals and cheaper guys in good spots in the batting order.  Not doing a ton today, but will try one cash LU today for a couple bucks and a few cheap gpps.  

Cash LU is currently looking like:

Sale - Duda - LeMahieu - Moust - Correa - Kemp - Hicks - N.Williams - Stanton

Williams has a ton of power in a park geared toward lefty power, is batting 3rd, is away, and is only 2K.  Hicks is batting 5th, away, behind Judge/Stanton/Sanchez and is 2.3K.  I think I will have a bit of those two in gpps as well since they will unlock some good stacks and bats.  

Don't have much time to look at stuff, so my cheap gpps were these fun ideas:

1.  Of course a WTF Mariners stack

2.  Milw 1,2,3, 5 +  Balt 2, 3, 4  with a 8K or less SP

3.  NY 2, 3, 4, 5 + Houston 2,3,4  with a 8K or less SP

4.  Just put my cash LU in, just in case.  

Nobody else play today? 
I did but couldnt get a good signal in the bar I was at. 

Had an early only with Lester( 7 pts) that missed cashing by 4.5 that had 3 mets and 4 cubs plus yadier.

min cashed a gpp and won a 3man with this lineup that scored 179.2

severino duda kipnis lamb lindor upton peralta calhoun springer 

early only is only 2 games again today so fading Wash for the most part

$1 gpp

scherzer miggy harrison candalerio mercer polanco castellanos eaton vmart

Would like to load up on red sox and astros for the main slate but don't really like the options at SP.

Almost 2xed.  

min cashed my early gpp 

Cash LU I posted scored 190.4 thanks mainly to Stanton.  my cheap OFs were duds for the most part, but the 2 KC guys and LeMahieu came through.  

Best gpp I had scored 227.   Mainly Verlander, Stanton, Davidson, A.Garcia, Arenado.  The rest stunk.  

I will definitely take it for the start of the season.  On to today. 

early only is only 2 games again today so fading Wash for the most part

$1 gpp

scherzer miggy harrison candalerio mercer polanco castellanos eaton vmart

Would like to load up on red sox and astros for the main slate but don't really like the options at SP.
That is the bad thing about all the teams playing opening day (besides the ppds) - the SPs aren't spread out.  It's pretty sad that we look at the options at SP and this is what we get.  I was hoping Wash was late enough for main slate and we had the Clev/Seat 2nd game, because that would have gotten a couple better options in there.  

Had a little more time to poke around with the Plate IQ today.  Made a fast list of pitchers that gave up bad ISO/wOBA #s to batters and then looked at that teams batter's # vs. the pitches he throws.  

The ones on the list were AZ both, LaD-L, Philly-L, Atl-R, NY-R, Bost-R, LAA-R.  

Seems like the best stacks were LAA, Bost, and NY.  since they had 3-4 guys that lined up 

Also, it looks like SD is throwing some scrub that is their 6th best SP prospect out there today, so I might fire up the Brewers again.  

The main players that lined up with stuff I poked around with:  Trout, Upton, Betts, H.Ram, JD Mart, Bellinger, Judge, Stanton, C.Santana.   Of course all the pricey guys, so I will have to dig a bit for some savings.  2B and 3B seemed brutal again.  

current main slate gpp

chacin hanram altuve bregman bogarts springer martinez gardner k davis

I figured for the early slate most will be going with Wash bats which is why I faded and stacked det/pitt vs weak pitching.

good luck all!!

Will probably jinx it but need the Nats bats other than Eaton to be ice cold. Sitting at 13/5952 with a 70% owned Scherzer and 40% Eaton.

Game tying 2 run double involving none of my guys drops me to 30th but on the plus side its extra innings with at least 2 more at bats for me.

Trying another cash LU tonight:

Price - Bellinger - Albies - Cozart - Marte - JD Martinez - Upton - Almora - Judge

:lol:

One of those nights I guess.  Narrowed it down to about 7 guys I really liked to build my cash LU around and used the 4 that didn't score points (Judge, JD Mart, currently Upton and Bellinger) while C.Santana, Trout, Hoskins score a bit.  Combine that with having N.Ahmed in my LU all day b/c he hits LHP well and taking him out for Marte at the same price because of the batting order.   So that's about a 100pt swing in points.    Oh, and not having the 70% owned Bryant 25+points.     Still plenty of time for somebody to do something, but I am looking at 5 0s and a high score of 6pts in my lineup.  

Same boat in my lineup, only Bogart scored more than 6 and got a big 1 from Chacin. I won't even hit 50 pts but amazingly there are over 800 worse lineups.

Same boat in my lineup, only Bogart scored more than 6 and got a big 1 from Chacin. I won't even hit 50 pts but amazingly there are over 800 worse lineups.
Hey now, mine was probably one of them! :lmao:

I thought my 61 cash LU was bad, but one of my gpps only scored 22.70pts.  It was my Chacin - Bost - NY lineup I thought would dominate bats-wise.  

Wasn't a total loss on the night, but close enough.  squeaked out $1 at the end, so I am back to even on the year.  

Hey now, mine was probably one of them! :lmao:

I thought my 61 cash LU was bad, but one of my gpps only scored 22.70pts.  It was my Chacin - Bost - NY lineup I thought would dominate bats-wise.  

Wasn't a total loss on the night, but close enough.  squeaked out $1 at the end, so I am back to even on the year.  
K Davis did enough to get me to 51.6 :X only beating out 400+ lineups.

Most likely taking today off as once again can't find a pitcher I like. Was going to roll with Fulmer in the early game but weather here is going to be bad again. 40 degrees, rain from noon to about 8 and 15-50 mph winds, seems risky it will finish.

K Davis did enough to get me to 51.6 :X only beating out 400+ lineups.

Most likely taking today off as once again can't find a pitcher I like. Was going to roll with Fulmer in the early game but weather here is going to be bad again. 40 degrees, rain from noon to about 8 and 15-50 mph winds, seems risky it will finish.
I just about always throw something in, so I just have a cheap gpp in the early.  

I like a couple SPs today - Paxton, McCullers, Carrasco, Darvish, but of course the way FD set up the slates, you have to play the all-day slate with crappy contests to get 3 of those guys in.  I have 0 clue why the early only is just 3 games and they skip over the 5 games in the late afternoon.  I might look at DK today and put in a couple 25cent entries since their early contests include those games.    

Broke down and played $1 gpp

Darvish Goldy panik Bryant Swanson blackmon kemp rasmus moose
I did a Darvish LU with W.Sox.  

Looks like the earlier LUs will be a + and keep me + for the day if night side duds.  I did one on DK that is sitting at 20th.  I did Strasb/McCull with a mini Tort stack, Cano, and Cespedes 

Won the 3man easily as they both used Darvish tho it only paid $3.50. Cashed for $7 in an NBA gpp for a $6.50 profit on the day.
You are on a roll! 

Missed bad again last night, but up a couple bucks on the day.  

Did a quick $1gpp today with a Twins stack.  Back to looking at stuff more in depth tomorrow. 

Today's $2 3man and yes checked for winner takes all.

Quintana Bell Travis Bryant Bogaerts Kepler  Stanton Polanco Dickerson

Happy Easter and good luck

Users who are viewing this thread