What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MLB 2018 (1 Viewer)

I didn't do well in the low-ball but it was free and my others both easily cashed. I had been more down than up lately, so that was nice. 
Nice.  

I should have done a hedge gpp with the guys I played in there with Trout hitting a homer and the Color SP pitching so well.  I think I only ended up with -30 points and was near the bottom.  :lol:

I see on FD SPs at the top of the gpps included Freeland and Happ.  Didn't see that coming, but I do remember doing well in a couple gpps last year by using a Coors SP.  Happ is just a guy I pass over for whatever reason.  

Happ has been pretty good for about 4 years now and the K's were up last year and climbing again but I sure wasn't running him out against Boston.
Exactly my thought, and we probably have that thought because we just enter a few LUs. 

I just never know if there is something others see, people are rolling out 50LUs and rotating SPs, or it was just a pure low % SP dart for gpp when I see these SPs that people use - especially on FD when you only get one.  

Ugh.  I need Scherzer to get his butt out there for one more inning.  With the win points I am still 4 points behind in my 5man b/c some dude played Gray.  

I am getting to the point where I have 0 clue what stats to look at anymore to try to be mildly consistent at this.  

Like I said, in the morning I look at stuff while I have my coffee and I will look through RG and write down SPs that give up good wOBA to bats, and also make a quick mark if that SP has high SIERA, WHIP, BB% HR/9 and if that team has a low ranked bullpen and good hitter's park.   Main slate that flagged Dodgers, STL-righties, Tex-righties, Oak-lefties, Bost-righties as having the most marks.  Since I didn't see a P that was decent for cash besides Kershaw, I started there.  Tex was left heavy, so I basically crossed them off, and having Kershaw didn't allow me to have the stud Boston and Cardinal guys and have any sort of balanced LU.  

Long story short, I am trying to decide if my process is wrong or if it's OK and I am just getting unlucky and this is just a hard sport.   Maybe just jam in Bost and NY bats with a sprinkle of TB and take a flier on SP every night?

Been lurking for quite a while and find your commentary interesting and useful so figured I'd try to chime in with something hopefully useful/interesting.   I play on FD and just do the .25 GPPs (only 2-3 lineups) and occasionally $1 GPP (single entry).   It was only last week that I realized the .25 GPP allows up to 150 entries.   I put up 245 points this past Monday and won just $3.  I checked the top winners and saw the person who won also came in 2nd, 4th, and 5th for $2250 with the same core as me, but with multiple iterations of the last low cost guy.    Kind of sucks that people can pay for a website to crank out 150 "optimized" lineups and have to go up against that.   Wasn't sure if I wanted to keep doing the .25 GPPs.  Does DK have this high of a limit on entries on its low cost GPPs?

Since I enjoy making the lineups and it is only .25 I decided to start doing 6-8 lineups for .25, building around 2-3 pitchers.  Today my lineups were either Arrieta, ERodriquez, and one Faria.   Hitters were from LA, TB, MIL, and OAK for the most part.   I also now do the $1 single entry GPP because at least that is a level playing field.

Today was first day doing 8 lineups and initially thought it was too much work.   Started modifying my dummy lineups about 3:15pm and ended up rushing the last one through right before the lock.

Best lineup was ERodriguez, LA hitters, TB hitters, and because TB was so cheap splurged on utility with Mookie.   TB, Betts, and ERod had me winning $3 but LA was horrible so went to dinner.   My LA hitters were Kemp, Seager, Bellinger, and Grandal.  When I checked back I ended up 6th out of 43000 and won $75.  3 other lineups combined for another $1.75 and $1 GPP got me $2.

I have enjoyed reading your posts and I'll try to add in my thoughts going forward.   And as always, past performance is not an indicator of future performance.

Out of money on FD after losing my last $2 last night in a Kershaw 50/50. Used Oak,Tex and Tam bats but only scored 80.6 and cut was 84.9. Did score 130+ in the freeroll gpp using Mia SP with Didi,Betts and Stl/Oak but cut was 148 there.

Won a 3man pickem and 3man classic on DK so +$6.80 there for the night. Faded Kershaw there because he was 14k :eek: and went with Chacin/Wacha with LAD/Oak/ and Moose.

Been lurking for quite a while and find your commentary interesting and useful so figured I'd try to chime in with something hopefully useful/interesting.   I play on FD and just do the .25 GPPs (only 2-3 lineups) and occasionally $1 GPP (single entry).   It was only last week that I realized the .25 GPP allows up to 150 entries.   I put up 245 points this past Monday and won just $3.  I checked the top winners and saw the person who won also came in 2nd, 4th, and 5th for $2250 with the same core as me, but with multiple iterations of the last low cost guy.    Kind of sucks that people can pay for a website to crank out 150 "optimized" lineups and have to go up against that.   Wasn't sure if I wanted to keep doing the .25 GPPs.  Does DK have this high of a limit on entries on its low cost GPPs?

Since I enjoy making the lineups and it is only .25 I decided to start doing 6-8 lineups for .25, building around 2-3 pitchers.  Today my lineups were either Arrieta, ERodriquez, and one Faria.   Hitters were from LA, TB, MIL, and OAK for the most part.   I also now do the $1 single entry GPP because at least that is a level playing field.
I only do single entry tournaments/contests, like you say, it levels the playing field.

I have had a little more success on Draft after talking ill of it a little bit ago.  They are all day contests, so days like today are perfect for a $3 6man (they also have $1 3 mans) draft since there are so many SPs going.

OF is weak on there since they have DHs as infielders, so guys like Stanton, JD Mart, etc.  are in the IF.   So I have had more success when I learned this,  try to get 2OF early, attempt to get 2-3 guys from a good team, and put off SP until last.   Yesterday I won a 6 man with Scherzer/3Seattle/W.Myers, and a 3 man with Verlander/3NY/Pham even with Pham's 0.  Barely missed cashing another, so I 2xed over there.  

needanap said:

Today was first day doing 8 lineups and initially thought it was too much work.   Started modifying my dummy lineups about 3:15pm and ended up rushing the last one through right before the lock.

Best lineup was ERodriguez, LA hitters, TB hitters, and because TB was so cheap splurged on utility with Mookie.   TB, Betts, and ERod had me winning $3 but LA was horrible so went to dinner.   My LA hitters were Kemp, Seager, Bellinger, and Grandal.  When I checked back I ended up 6th out of 43000 and won $75.  3 other lineups combined for another $1.75 and $1 GPP got me $2.

I have enjoyed reading your posts and I'll try to add in my thoughts going forward.   And as always, past performance is not an indicator of future performance.
Great post, and I agree with all of this 100%.  DK's 25cent entry gpps aren't as bad.  I looks like the max entry is 20.  They are smaller as well, but the ratio is also smaller.  Ie - main slate is 20 max out of 14.3K entries, and FD is 150 max out of 43K entries.   Last year I had a bit of success with their small contests on DK they have 250 and 470 entry 25cent ones for most slates.  However, I swear they upped the max entry on those this year too, and the 470entry have a max of 15 or something, so I still see people with 10 of the same LU in those as well this year, and have had little success in those.  

I know it's never going to happen, but my wish for these sites is if they would separate it by average $/day in play for a player.  I mean if you have 1000s of $ in play the sites shouldn't allow you in the 25 cent entries with scrubs like me maxing out at $5 a day.  

Here is my long winded personal problem with MLB (short version is I am still working on my balance) - I like it the best of the sports to play of DFS because there is so much to think about and it gives me something to do during the day.  BUT, I don't play a ton of $ so since I look at a lot of stuff I get sucked into the 25cent entries.  In my mind I figure if I only have $2 for gpps (and I am really indecisive), I should throw together 8 25cent entries for variety.  But like you said, I am going against people who are mass entering $25+ worth of entries and they probably also have access to ownership %, and are just going off of that for gpps - hence me seeing the odd SPs and weird stacks at the top.   My other problem is that I really don't like cash games.  I would assume in theory it's the best odds at a little $, but I can't seem to get it right.  When I have 3players on team like last night they tank and my LU is shot, when spread the wealth, it's a team like Bost or NY that goes off, everybody has them, and I also am sunk.   I honestly don't know if I even have a 20-30% success rate with the 50/50s I enter.  I THINK this is probably what I need to force myself to do:

1.  Switch my 25cent entries from FD to DK.  After thinking about that max entries, it's better over there.  

2.  Seeing my success rate, should think about doing 3 or 5 man entries instead of 50/50s for my "cash" entries.  I seem to have a tad more luck with those vs. 50/50s on FD, and even if I only hit on 20% of them, I am losing money a lot less quickly.   There does seem to be the same core names popping up in those, so I do like to try to be the last one in so I can see the names make sure I am not doing 2-3 entries with the same people to increase the odds.   I do wonder if H2H is an option as well instead of  50/50s, but how do you avoid the sharks there?

3.  Just do SE gpps on FD.  

Also, I was going to post that I took a RG optimized LU off my app on my phone and played it in one of the 50/50s last night for S&Gs.  Not sure if it was a coincidence, but I think that along with Kershaw, 4-5 of the players were 40%+ owned, so I wonder how many people are doing that same thing and effecting those contests bigly.  

May be stuck with just pickem contests on DK today with the 2 small slates they have there and limited SP options after Thor and Sale. I can't find 2 mid priced guys I feel good about and if I pair 1 with Sale/Thor I have almost 22k at the SP which limits the bats.

Also, I was going to post that I took a RG optimized LU off my app on my phone and played it in one of the 50/50s last night for S&Gs.  Not sure if it was a coincidence, but I think that along with Kershaw, 4-5 of the players were 40%+ owned, so I wonder how many people are doing that same thing and effecting those contests bigly.  
Did this lineup cash? I've never played an optimized lineup, usually just use it to identify some cheap guys that I may have missed.

May be stuck with just pickem contests on DK today with the 2 small slates they have there and limited SP options after Thor and Sale. I can't find 2 mid priced guys I feel good about and if I pair 1 with Sale/Thor I have almost 22k at the SP which limits the bats.
@Raging weasel - I am guessing that Newcomb, J.Mont, and C.Mart will be popular on the early slates as well.  

Main slate has Archer and Bundy who are usually popular too.  @Northern Voice - doesn't Estrada own the Red Sox?  is that a gpp dart?

I use the free rotowire page to get starting lineups, take a look at the estimates (guesses) on the optimizer app, read the daily "value" articles, and lately they have a pitching page that shows hr/9 and oBA that I look at.  Seems like the optimizer always picks the highest rated pitcher (which is usually the most expensive) and then fills in with cheap guys -- the lineups never look too impressive and I don't see them having much upside.

Forgot main item on roto page -- matchups to avoid/target.   This usually has some useful info.  ie, Happ owns Betts, Ramirez, and two other main Red Sox hitters (can't remember which they were)  and George Springer seemed to have a good matchup then when I looked he was 0/13 against the pitcher (went 0/4 that day).

Last edited by a moderator:
Did this lineup cash? I've never played an optimized lineup, usually just use it to identify some cheap guys that I may have missed.
Sorry, I should have posted that - no it did not.  Only scored 75 points and was 75 out of 100.   It was similar to my idea, so I used it - Kershaw, the Oak lefties (Olson/Lowrie/Joyce), Deshields, and then Seager/Joc.   The other night when I wrote it down, it would have done well - that was the night of my pivot from Maeda to Morton.  

FD optimals  are easy to glance at b/c they just let you hit the button, DK they make you lock two guys, so there is more variability with those depending on who you lock up.

I use the free rotowire page to get starting lineups, take a look at the estimates (guesses) on the optimizer app, read the daily "value" articles, and lately they have a pitching page that shows hr/9 and oBA that I look at.  Seems like the optimizer always picks the highest rated pitcher (which is usually the most expensive) and then fills in with cheap guys -- the lineups never look too impressive and I don't see them having much upside.

Forgot main item on roto page -- matchups to avoid/target.   This usually has some useful info.  ie, Happ owns Betts, Ramirez, and two other main Red Sox hitters (can't remember which they were)  and George Springer seemed to have a good matchup then when I looked he was 0/13 against the pitcher (went 0/4 that day).
I might have to take a peek at that for some variety.  

Rotogrinders is where I do everything now.  They have you register a name, and you can get a Premium, but a lot of stuff is free.  They have great quick articles on the main page as well - the Grinddown breaks down each game and points out the SPs and elite bats.  They have a First Look article that has a quick chart of SP stats like swinging K%, opp K%, walk rate, etc..  and then all the other stuff as you dig deeper is free with a ton of info too.  

Thanks for that link - I just took a glance at the hot/cold batter matchups.   It does show Bost and Milw struggling with their matchups today.  

I used the BVP info on RG as well to try to find cheap filler guys - yesterday it flagged M.Adams and Sandoval.  

@Raging weasel - I am guessing that Newcomb, J.Mont, and C.Mart will be popular on the early slates as well.  

Main slate has Archer and Bundy who are usually popular too.  @Northern Voice - doesn't Estrada own the Red Sox?  is that a gpp dart?
DK early I've got this-

Martinez Newcomb

McCann Freeman Albies Descalso Didi Hamilton Frazier Goodrum

I always target bats vs Bailey, Didi is a monster at home and the rest are just guys I could afford with some Pitt/Det exposure.

No SE gpps worth playing on DK today so this is a 3man.

Good luck this afternoon, gents!  Like RW, I also landed on the AtL bats for most of the ideas.  

I entered this in a $1 5man on FD:  Thor Freeman Albies Suarez Adrianza Duvall Bruce Inciarte Goodrum   I assume I will be up against a cheaper SP/NY bats in there. 

On DK I entered 5 in the DK 25cent entries - Mostly NY, Atl, with other stuff sprinkled in and different combos of SPs.  I seemed to have a bit of Newcomb, so for one I did a Cinci righty stack b/c I could see it both ways there.  

I also did a 6man on Draft, but got the #1 spot which I didn't love.  Ended up with Sale and a mix of players, nobody from the same team.  

Good luck this afternoon, gents!  Like RW, I also landed on the AtL bats for most of the ideas.  

I entered this in a $1 5man on FD:  Thor Freeman Albies Suarez Adrianza Duvall Bruce Inciarte Goodrum   I assume I will be up against a cheaper SP/NY bats in there. 
I guess this is a 7man contest, and I am the only one with Freeman.  I also had Acuna in there but moved to Inciarte so I had the 1-2-3.  Grr.  good thing nobody else has him in that contest.

I do have him in 3 of my DK gpps, so let's go Atl...

ETA:  Hmm. 4 of the 7 had Dyson from Az that just homered.  <_<

DK early I've got this-

Martinez Newcomb

I always target bats vs Bailey, Didi is a monster at home and the rest are just guys I could afford with some Pitt/Det exposure.

3man we have 6 different SPs in play which is unexpected. I know it's early but looking like I should've gone Nova over Martinez.

ETA-- pickem contests didn't fill so this may be it for the day.

DK early I've got this-

Martinez Newcomb

Whiffed on SP but still pulled off a win 103-101.55 thanks to Thor not getting the win. Last place team still has 3 players in extra innings but only has 47.8 so pretty sure I am safe.

Whiffed on SP but still pulled off a win 103-101.55 thanks to Thor not getting the win. Last place team still has 3 players in extra innings but only has 47.8 so pretty sure I am safe.
:thumbup:

I had a good afternoon too.  The Sanchez HR put me in 2nd in the 7 man on FD.  

On DK I had 2 top 50 LUs in the 25cent gpps, so as of now that $1.25 went to $7.50, so still up between the 2 drafts.  One scored 150 the other 157.  

I am currently sitting great on Draft as well.  I forgot that I had 2 drafts going.  One I am up about 10pts with Archer and Schwarber left.  The guy that is behind me does have Mookie and Sale.   The one that I mentioned above that I didn't love getting the #1 spot kicked ###.  I am up by 40pts and still have Sale.  The mix of guys I had in the afternoon were Albies, Peralta, Sanchez and Hoskins.  IF both hold that will be +$15, looking at the other teams I should be able to at least get 2nd in that first one which still cashes.  

As for tonight, I am not feeling it, and want to have a + day for a change, so I am just keeping it to the 2 25cent entries on FD and the 2 25cent entries on DK that I had reserved last night.  

ETA:  just saw that the Mets/Stl game is still going.  I could still catch that 7man contest is Bruce somehow gets another bat and HRs.

Doing 8 .25 GPPs again today and the $1 GPP.   $3 is big stakes for me.

Half are going to feature Bundy.   Mixing him with CHC/MIL/KC/CWS stacks.  Really hoping Balt/TB and Bos/Tor are low scoring because I have pretty much avoided the hitters in both games.

Have a Sale with CWS/KC hitters since the top of both orders is so cheap.

Have an Archer with CHC/KC and top of TB.

Waiting on Mil to post lineup to do remaining line ups.

Doing 8 .25 GPPs again today and the $1 GPP.   $3 is big stakes for me.

Half are going to feature Bundy.   Mixing him with CHC/MIL/KC/CWS stacks.  Really hoping Balt/TB and Bos/Tor are low scoring because I have pretty much avoided the hitters in both games.

Have a Sale with CWS/KC hitters since the top of both orders is so cheap.

Have an Archer with CHC/KC and top of TB.

Waiting on Mil to post lineup to do remaining line ups.
Good Luck!  Milwaukee just posted.  

For gpp I think I am going to make one Sale LU and see if I can fit in a Balt stack.  I think the other I am just going to mix it up, as I don't see one team really sticking out tonight.  

On DK I think I am going to mix Bundy with Junis and again just mix and match bats.  

Pedro Alvarez is only $2300 and has hit Archer pretty well.  I have used him in a couple lineups when I had one spot left and not much money.

P    Chris Archer P        
P    Kyle Hendricks P     
C    Salvador Perez      
1B    Anthony Rizzo      
2B    Javier Báez      
3B    Mike Moustakas      
SS    Manny Machado      
OF    Carlos Gómez      
OF    Kyle Schwarber    
OF    Denard Span  

Pedro Alvarez is only $2300 and has hit Archer pretty well.  I have used him in a couple lineups when I had one spot left and not much money.
Between him, CDavis and Peterson being super cheap, it was easy to fit them and Machado along with Shaw/Santana and Sale so I did that for one of them.

Working on the other one now.  

Since I won earlier going to try again with another 3man

Sale Junis Perez Alvarez Peterson Moose Machado Almora Almonte Jay

Like KC/Balt bats tonight and have a little alliteration thing going as a bonus.

Also, I am really starting to hate TB.  I thought they were supposed to suck? 
I have the same problem with Wsox/Mia, they keep going on the road and beating up my pitchers. Really need Junis to shut down their bats today to have a chance since Sale is apparently going to suck. They each have Bundy so have that on my side.

Raging weasel said:
Since I won earlier going to try again with another 3man

Sale Junis Perez Alvarez Peterson Moose Machado Almora Almonte Jay

Like KC/Balt bats tonight and have a little alliteration thing going as a bonus.
Glad I played this tonight. Even tho I missed on pretty much everything it was still good enough for a 65.25-60.55 win in a $5 3man. Makes me +$11.90 for the day :thumbup:

Northern Voice said:
P    Chris Archer P        
P    Kyle Hendricks P     
C    Salvador Perez      
1B    Anthony Rizzo      
2B    Javier Báez      
3B    Mike Moustakas      
SS    Manny Machado      
OF    Carlos Gómez      
OF    Kyle Schwarber    
OF    Denard Span  
This lineup cashed x2 for me. A $2 50/50 (won $3.60) and a $3 GPP (won $6). Hendricks was ahead of most other starters and while the Cubs stack didn't really work out, Schwarber hit a home run and Gomez has a good night - I only finished at 106.15 so it was a low scoring night all around I think.

Users who are viewing this thread