What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sammy Watkins and Tyreek Hill (1 Viewer)

Who do you like better in dynasty

• Hill by a lot

Votes: 72 49.3%
  • Hill by a little

Votes: 34 23.3%
  • About even

Votes: 13 8.9%
  • Watkins by a little

Votes: 18 12.3%
  • Watkins by a lot

Votes: 9 6.2%

• Total voters

bostonfred

Footballguy
Both are playing with a new quarterback.  Both are fast but have other aspects to their game.  Watkins is bigger, hill is faster. Hill had already looked good in Reid's offense, but Watkins just got 16 million for a reason.  Hill doesn't have the draft pedigree, but Watkins had a rough season transitioning to the rams last year. 

Would love if people could give projections too.

I voted Hill by a little.  If Mahomes is what people are making him out to be there should be lots of deep throws with these two guys this year.  I think come draft time, which ever is the cheaper will be the one to draft.  I'm hoping recency bias will keep Sammy's price low.

Its a little early for projections but my initial thoughts are

Hill - 92/64/880/7  21/168/1

Watkins - 84/55/900/8

Kelce - 113/71/920/5

I took the easy way out and said about the same for 2018...and Hill a little better for dynasty...even though Sammy is still only 24 years old....

Hunt, Hill, Watkins, Kelce.....is going to be a nightmare for opposing defenses...thats why I think Mahomes is really the only target for value right now....he gives a little piece of all the pies......I think it is crazy how low you can still draft this guy...not sure what value you will get in the other 4.....there may be a little bit in Hunt as people may think the Watkins signing means they are going to chuck it a ton....(which they will) but Hunt should EAT on swing passes and passes underneath while defenses are down the filed trying to cover the other 3...

basically whoever get single coverage is going to get the ball....some people underestimate Watkins physicality and how he can sometimes dominate DB's on 50/50 balls.....Mahomes will probably throw it to him a few times when he really shouldn't....Hill can also be physical for a smaller guy....we will probably see Mahomes be kind of the anti-Smith and make throws he shouldn't just to give these guys a chance to make a play...might lead to some INT's but also some big plays...

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted Hill by a little.  If Mahomes is what people are making him out to be there should be lots of deep throws with these two guys this year.  I think come draft time, which ever is the cheaper will be the one to draft.  I'm hoping recency bias will keep Sammy's price low.

Its a little early for projections but my initial thoughts are

Hill - 92/64/880/7  21/168/1

Watkins - 84/55/900/8

Kelce - 113/71/920/5
Goff tossed deep to Watkins a lot, no? We see how that went.

Watkins is overrated IMO

Hill all day esp on Sunday.  Watkins is one of the most overrated wrs in the league.  He's also overdue for another injury
He's really not overrated. While he might not be in the ballpark of AB, Jones, ODB, Evans...the talent is there and he easily could be among them with enough targets and good QB.

I realize draft position doesn't matter, but do people remember that there was no debating he was WR1 in the same draft class as Beckham, Evans & Landry (and possibly others I'm forgetting)?

on Watkins...I think an argument could be made that he is about to start playing with the best QB he has ever had in the NFL.....and probably the best overall group of other offensive weapons....which could be good for his fantasy numbers or bad, depending on how you want to look at....he may have one of those years where he plays really good football, just not really good fantasy football....because he won't be the focus of the passing game....the talent is there, you can't question that....I don't really understand the overrated comments because it's not like Watkins has ever really been in the elite conversation (especially fantasy wise)...he hasn't exactly been in the best systems for a WR.....a run first BUF team and a Gurley dominated Ram team....to question his talent and say he is overrated is kind of crazy....he put up 60/1047/9 in 13 games one year....when he is healthy he produces...and sometimes, like maybe heading into this year, "produces" doesn't always translate to fantasy stats....his mere presence may open things up more for Hill/Kelce which in the real football world is "producing"...or he may benefit from Hill/Kelce and end up having a great real football year and a great fantasy "production" year....the tough thing is, with all the talent, it will be hard to say from week to week who will EAT consistently in this offense....there will be weeks where Hunt may get all 3 of the TD's....weeks where it may be Kelce....etc....as a KC fan I love the signing, but as a FF player it does cloud the outlook for Watkins and the rest of the Chiefs....a good problem to have in real football, but the kind of situation that confuses fantasy players...thats why I'm all over Mahomes at his current price....

on Watkins...I think an argument could be made that he is about to start playing with the best QB he has ever had in the NFL.....and probably the best overall group of other offensive weapons....which could be good for his fantasy numbers or bad, depending on how you want to look at....he may have one of those years where he plays really good football, just not really good fantasy football....because he won't be the focus of the passing game....the talent is there, you can't question that....I don't really understand the overrated comments because it's not like Watkins has ever really been in the elite conversation (especially fantasy wise)...he hasn't exactly been in the best systems for a WR.....a run first BUF team and a Gurley dominated Ram team....to question his talent and say he is overrated is kind of crazy....he put up 60/1047/9 in 13 games one year....when he is healthy he produces...and sometimes, like maybe heading into this year, "produces" doesn't always translate to fantasy stats....his mere presence may open things up more for Hill/Kelce which in the real football world is "producing"...or he may benefit from Hill/Kelce and end up having a great real football year and a great fantasy "production" year....the tough thing is, with all the talent, it will be hard to say from week to week who will EAT consistently in this offense....there will be weeks where Hunt may get all 3 of the TD's....weeks where it may be Kelce....etc....as a KC fan I love the signing, but as a FF player it does cloud the outlook for Watkins and the rest of the Chiefs....a good problem to have in real football, but the kind of situation that confuses fantasy players...thats why I'm all over Mahomes at his current price....
My god Mahomes is over-hyped. So Goff is JAG now?

on Watkins...I think an argument could be made that he is about to start playing with the best QB he has ever had in the NFL.....
While that could turn out to be the case, it would be tough to make that argument after one decent start. Watkins was just part of the league's top offense in 2017.

My god Mahomes is over-hyped. So Goff is JAG now?
fantasy wise I don't think Mahomes is being over hyped......although I am not even sure what over hyped really means.....because in most cases he still represents potential value considering the QB's being drafted ahead of him....Goff is going well before him in most drafts I have seen....is Goff a JAG....I don't know, he had a nice year....but if I had to plant my stake in the ground moving forward I would roll the dice on Mahomes at this point....they weren't happy about losing Watkins....Goff's 3800/28 was nice....IMO that might be Mahomes floor  moving forward....and probably Goff's ceiling....

While that could turn out to be the case, it would be tough to make that argument after one decent start. Watkins was just part of the league's top offense in 2017.
so two questions....

1. if you are an NFL GM and you had to take one of Goff or Mahomes (today) to lead your team for the next 12 years....who you taking 

2. Fantasy GM....assuming they stay where they are and have the same coaching/weapons around them...you are stuck with one of them being your guy for the next 12 years....who you taking...

it's easy to wait around in fantasy and make these decisions after the fact (ie: after "more than one start")....but to maximize value and be ahead of the game you sometimes have to stake your claim ahead of time....

so two questions....

1. if you are an NFL GM and you had to take one of Goff or Mahomes (today) to lead your team for the next 12 years....who you taking 

2. Fantasy GM....assuming they stay where they are and have the same coaching/weapons around them...you are stuck with one of them being your guy for the next 12 years....who you taking...

it's easy to wait around in fantasy and make these decisions after the fact (ie: after "more than one start")....but to maximize value and be ahead of the game you sometimes have to stake your claim ahead of time....
1. Goff

2.Goff

....Goff's 3800/28 was nice....IMO that might be Mahomes floor  moving forward....and probably Goff's ceiling....
I don't think you understand the definition of "floor" or "ceiling" very well.

I'm fine with you preferring Mahomes over Goff, but let's not be silly.

I don't think you understand the definition of "floor" or "ceiling" very well.

I'm fine with you preferring Mahomes over Goff, but let's not be silly.
I'm saying Goff will never have a better season then he had last year.....thus his ceiling...

I expect 3800/28 to be the worst season Mahomes has....thus his floor

what am I not getting?

I'm 100% with Stinkin Ref on Mahomes and agree with almost everything he is saying. 

Only thing I see differently is Hill to me remains a  value at his current cost.

ETA-since I made this post I see some other comments so I'd add that I don't agree that was Goff's ceiling last year. I'd take Mahomes over him in fantasy,and easily so, but I don't think Goff peaked.

I'm saying Goff will never have a better season then he had last year.....thus his ceiling...

I expect 3800/28 to be the worst season MaHomes has....thus his floor

what am I not getting?
You're not getting that Goff only played 15 games in 2017.

Prorated Goff's 2017 stats are 4,057 yds and 30 TD's.

Good luck with that as Mahomes' 16-game floor.

You're not getting that Goff only played 15 games in 2017.

Prorated Goff's 2017 stats are 4,057 yds and 30 TD's.

Good luck with that as Mahomes' 16-game floor.
rounding up a little but thats ok...we'll factor in losing Watkins and call it a wash, which is generous IMO....and I'll stand by 3800/28 being Goff's 16 game ceiling.....

fantasy wise I don't think Mahomes is being over hyped......although I am not even sure what over hyped really means.....because in most cases he still represents potential value considering the QB's being drafted ahead of him....Goff is going well before him in most drafts I have seen....is Goff a JAG....I don't know, he had a nice year....but if I had to plant my stake in the ground moving forward I would roll the dice on Mahomes at this point....they weren't happy about losing Watkins....Goff's 3800/28 was nice....IMO that might be Mahomes floor  moving forward....and probably Goff's ceiling....
I'm just saying that I don't believe he has thrown a regular season pass yet in the NFL.  I love the tools he has around him but lets see what he can do for full NFL season.

But I do think he is going to be pretty damn good.

bottom line: and this is totally IMO....Goff benefited greatly from a new coaching staff/scheme....stat wise I believe he also benefited from some unbelievable plays from Gurley in the passing game....788/6 on some huge plays out of the backfield...so that combined with losing Watkins and expecting some regression in Gurley's receiving stats I don't see Goff repeating those numbers....I'm not sold on the LAR WR's and TE at all.....I'll take the KC WR's and TE over the Rams twice on Sunday....

I'm just saying that I don't believe he has thrown a regular season pass yet in the NFL.  I love the tools he has around him but lets see what he can do for full NFL season.

But I do think he is going to be pretty damn good.
fair enough...but Mahomes did play last year in a somewhat meaningless game....and fantasy wise it wasn't even really relevant, cause he had zero TD's....however he did look really good....so much so that 3 of the NFL's top defensive players Von/Talib/Chris Harris all said they hate to admit it, but Mahomes looked like the real deal and was going to be very good....they are not looking forward to seeing him for the next few years....kid is dripping in arm talent etc. making throws only a few try.....and from what I understand he is also excellent at picking up the other things that go along with it formations/blitz/commanding the huddle/changing plays/etc....

I expect 3800/28 to be the worst season MaHomes has....thus his floor

what am I not getting?
Maybe that will be Goff's best season, but since he only played in 15 games (starters held out in Week 17) and he was 23 in his second season - to say he could never do better seems odd. Plus the concept of "ceiling" isn't what you think it's what realistically could happen.

I like Mahomes and the Chiefs do have a ton of weapons at his disposal but 3,800/28 is the "floor" of some one like Big Ben or even Tom Brady, not a first year QB. The concept of a "floor" is the worst case scenario within reason. Even leaving out the possibility that he could be one of the many first round QB busts that litter NFL history, we should at least leave some room that he'll only be a league average QB. 28 TDs is not as easy to reach as you seem to think it is.

Maybe that will be Goff's best season, but since he only played in 15 games (starters held out in Week 17) and he was 23 in his second season - to say he could never do better seems odd. Plus the concept of "ceiling" isn't what you think it's what realistically could happen.

I like Mahomes and the Chiefs do have a ton of weapons at his disposal but 3,800/28 is the "floor" of some one like Big Ben or even Tom Brady, not a first year QB. The concept of a "floor" is the worst case scenario within reason. Even leaving out the possibility that he could be one of the many first round QB busts that litter NFL history, we should at least leave some room that he'll only be a league average QB. 28 TDs is not as easy to reach as you seem to think it is.
:goodposting:  

@Stinkin Ref's take on Goff is really bizarre. I get liking Mahomes; that doesn't have to equate to unnecessarily disparaging another young QB.

fair enough...I realize I may be  am going out on a limb....but thats kind of my approach to fantasy sometimes....don't always take the safe route.....for instance, I will take Mahomes right now in every fantasy draft I particpate in over Goff and not think twice about it.....because I can wait on Mahomes and IMO get as good/better fantasy production....the longer you wait/season gets closer/wait for a full NFL year....the more value you lose...

I realistically think Goff will not have a year like that again....

in worst case scenario within reason...I think a year like Goff's will be the worst we see from Mahomes....

:goodposting:  

@Stinkin Ref's take on Goff is really bizarre. I get liking Mahomes; that doesn't have to equate to unnecessarily disparaging another young QB.
true...I will admit in some ways I do think Goff is JAG....and last season was/will be his best.....I expect his numbers to regress...I could be wrong, but I see him finishing in the middle of the pack from here on out.....again...just IMO....

Watkins accounted for a whole 593 yards
On like 70 targets. Watkins was insanely efficient with his targets when thrown to. It was recently pointed out by an AFC scout (sorry no source) that Watkins has never been utilized correctly. I agree 100%. If he had the targets, he’d have the stats of Evans and others in that realm with ease. Situation and health have been the only things holding him back. He’s as talented as the Evans and OBJ’s.

rounding up a little but thats ok...we'll factor in losing Watkins and call it a wash, which is generous IMO....and I'll stand by 3800/28 being Goff's 16 game ceiling.....
You think the 1.01 drafted QB who has only 1 season as a starter under his belt and Woods as his primary receiving option and still just 23 years old.... hit his ceiling already in his first season as the starter? That’s not even bold, it’s extremely shortsighted. 

fair enough...I realize I may be  am going out on a limb....but thats kind of my approach to fantasy sometimes....don't always take the safe route.....for instance, I will take Mahomes right now in every fantasy draft I particpate in over Goff and not think twice about it.....because I can wait on Mahomes and IMO get as good/better fantasy production....the longer you wait/season gets closer/wait for a full NFL year....the more value you lose...

I realistically think Goff will not have a year like that again....

in worst case scenario within reason...I think a year like Goff's will be the worst we see from Mahomes....
Well since I have Hill in two leagues and Kelce in one (where I also have Hill), I certainly hope Mahomes tears the league apart - but he'd be on a short list of Big 12 QBs that were able to excel in the NFL. I think he can do it, but let's slow down on "floors" that would put him as a top 5 QB most seasons.

You think the 1.01 drafted QB who has only 1 season as a starter under his belt and Woods as his primary receiving option and still just 23 years old.... hit his ceiling already in his first season as the starter? That’s not even bold, it’s extremely shortsighted. 
Not to mention the fact that the offense was in its first year for everybody, including Goff.  The fact that they will have had a full season in that offense now should be reason for progression, not regression.  Cupp is a year further in as are his young TE's.  It certainly wouldn't be the first time someone regressed after having a breakout season but I certainly see more reasons to think he'll play better this year than that he's reached his ceiling.  If banking everything on Mahomes in his first year as a starter be sure to nab Josh Allen as his backup given the amount of arm talent he's got and all.

Yes.

I could care less where he was drafted....means nothing when you take the field in the NFL...

Goff played in half the season (8 games) his first year....so you could say its 1.5 seasons....I realize most want to say "that doesn't even count, bad system/bad team/coach"...

Woods being the #1 option is kind of scary....thanks...kind of helps my side....possible regression...

And yes while Goff may go on to have a nice NFL career as a QB.....and maybe have some statistical years that approach/are close to what he did last year....IMO he won't ever blow by those numbers....I think thats the best you will get from him...which isn't bad....I'm admitting to that....I just think Mahomes talent/potential/situation should produce more...consistently over time..

I could care less if somebody thinks I'm being shortsighted when it comes to fake football discussions on a fantasy football website....I could be completely wrong, but what fun is it to "sit around and see how everything shakes out"....that's easy guppy stuff...you sometimes have to plant your flag...and I'm planting mine saying those drafting Goff before Mahomes are making a mistake....considering how much later you can get Mahomes..

Well since I have Hill in two leagues and Kelce in one (where I also have Hill), I certainly hope Mahomes tears the league apart - but he'd be on a short list of Big 12 QBs that were able to excel in the NFL. I think he can do it, but let's slow down on "floors" that would put him as a top 5 QB most seasons.
well for discussion purposes only.... if the floor is around 3800/28....we can start talking about full first years by guys like Newton/Dak/Winston/Wilson/Mariota/Eli/Rodgers/Cousins...let alone the pace Watson was on last year....some of those TD's for those guys did included rushing TD's (of which I think Goff had 1)...and rushing ability is also a strength of Mahomes...

so two questions....

1. Goff but it is close.

2. Ditto 1.

I cannot wait for the season to start so you all can stop this Watkins abuse. 
It is not abuse.

The talent is unquestioned, the production is questioned. Yes, there are numerous other variables but in terms of production one cannot argue that Watkins has been mostly underwhelming.

I could easily see Watkins producing at a high level, but let's not kid ourselves- he's been a disappointment. 

It is not abuse.

The talent is unquestioned, the production is questioned. Yes, there are numerous other variables but in terms of production one cannot argue that Watkins has been mostly underwhelming.

I could easily see Watkins producing at a high level, but let's not kid ourselves- he's been a disappointment. 
2014 16 games: 65/982/6....probably exceeded expectations for a rookie in that offense/QB

2015 13 games: 60/1047/9.....probably not underwhelming and actually probably exceeded expectations in only 13 games....thats a good year for 16 games...again in a run first offense/QB

2016 8 games: injured, 28/430/2....projects out to 56/860/4...so yeah maybe a underwhelming considering where he was probably drafted after a nice 2015

2017 15 games: joins a new team right as season starts....39/593/8....great production on limited targets...and considering where he was probably drafted after an injured 2016...all things considered probably pretty good ROI....

he was never gonna be a high volume/target guy in any of those offenses....so I would argue, an injured 2016 aside....he is most certainly not the definition of underwhelming....or a disappointment.....he was never being drafted as an "elite" WR especially when he was in BUF....he has probably exceeded expectations more often than not....

It is not abuse.

It's abuse from the post I quoted. Goff missed Watkins too many times.

2014 16 games: 65/982/6....probably exceeded expectations for a rookie in that offense/QB

2015 13 games: 60/1047/9.....probably not underwhelming and actually probably exceeded expectations in only 13 games....thats a good year for 16 games...again in a run first offense/QB

2016 8 games: injured, 28/430/2....projects out to 56/860/4...so yeah maybe a underwhelming considering where he was probably drafted after a nice 2015

2017 15 games: joins a new team right as season starts....39/593/8....great production on limited targets...and considering where he was probably drafted after an injured 2016...all things considered probably pretty good ROI....

he was never gonna be a high volume/target guy in any of those offenses....so I would argue, an injured 2016 aside....he is most certainly not the definition of underwhelming....or a disappointment.....he was never being drafted as an "elite" WR especially when he was in BUF....he has probably exceeded expectations more often than not....
Exactly how many top 25 ppr seasons has Watkins had?  Maybe 1 of 4 years? Is that an elite rate of return? 

If you want to say that a player consistently selected #1 overall in 2014 rookie drafts and a top 50 player overall in multiple years after didn't disappoint, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. The numbers tell otherwise. Simply put, Watkins has consistently underperformed relative to his draft position. To suggest otherwise is intellectually dishonest.

You can spin it anyway you like but the truth is Watkins has been underwhelming- he didn't have 1000 total yards receiving COMBINED the last two years. 

He wasn't even a top 75 WR in 2016. Maybe cracked the top 50 last year? Sounds disappointing to me.

Watkins is also on his third team in 5 seasons.  Kind of a red flag.  If he was a future wr1 why have multiple teams already passed on him?  Cause he's an overrated wr.  That's why.

Watkins was insanely efficient with his targets when thrown to.
Watkins has a poor catch rate but he is elite in yards per catch, very strong in yards per target and PPR fantasy speaking pretty strong in points per target. Better than Mike Evans, closer to Odell then Evans is to Watkins. So other than the catch rate he's good to elite by most measures of efficiency.

But as this thread was Watkins vs Hill I must point out that while Watkins has been efficient in most categories Tyreek blew him away last year and for that matter blew about every WR in the league away last year with regard to efficiency.  Hill is the one what should be described as insanely efficient and across the board so. Catch rate, yards per catch, yards per target, fantasy points per target. Hill beat Watkins in all 4 of those areas last year and in his career vs Watkins has been better in all but yards per catch.

I like Sammy, just not on same tier as Hill. But a worry with Sammy if you are hoping volume is coming his way is that he has declined in targets per game every year he's been in the league. Can trot out excuses and why's, but to me it's a concern and does not leave me hopeful he's going to turn into a high volume guy.

I expect 3800/28 to be the worst season Mahomes has....thus his floorhas

what am I not getting?
And how many times has an Andy Reid quarterback produced that 'floor'?

Users who are viewing this thread