What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (2 Viewers)

The Pack’s week 3 loss at Washington was an embarrassment.  One loss isn’t the end of the world, but that was one disheartening effort by every part of the team.  That starts and ends with Mike McCarthy.  His offensive scheme and play-calling has gotten stale and is no longer a strength.  The most frustrating part of the game from a head coach decision making process was the end of the first half.  Why the hell didn’t he take some timeouts and give Rodgers a minute and a half to get into scoring position instead of 30 seconds?  ARod still moved the ball and gave Crosby a chance to hit a long field goal, but McCarthy’s decision to not use those timeouts is indefensible.  It’s not a difference of strategic opinion…it was just plain stupid.

The schedule is relatively soft over the next three weeks before the week 7 bye (BUF, @DET, SF w/out Garoppolo).  If Green Bay is a serious Super Bowl contender, they need to win all three before going to LA to play the Rams followed by a trip to New England.  If the team loses the next three games Mike McCarthy should be fired.  Yup.  If the Packers can only muster one win in the next three games the franchise should absolutely consider it during the bye.  I realize this won’t happen, but maybe it should?  Yes, it’s gotten to that point with the Packers and McCarthy IMO.  Hopefully all goes well and the team takes care of business and enters the bye at 4-1-1, but will anybody be surprised when the Pack drops one of those games and looks mediocre at 3-2-1 entering the bye and some tough games?  Me either.

A few other observations (which may or may not enforce the main point that our head coach is not getting the job done):

- Why is Lance Kendricks playing?  Watching him and Jimmy Graham get blown up on running plays sucks and Kendricks hasn’t been much of a pass-catcher in a while.  Marcedes Lewis is a beast of a blocker and I like what we saw from Tonyan in the exhibition games.  Unless one of those three TE’s has some injury we’re not aware of…it’s time to cut Kendricks outright.

- Give Aaron Jones the damn ball.  Enough with the BS – he’s clearly the best running back the team has.  Williams may be a hell of a pass blocker and Montgomery is versatile, but is any defensive coordinator scheming for those two?  Hell no.  Maybe they won’t for Jones either, but at least he can make them pay for that decision.

- The interior of the offensive line is kind of weak and Spriggs sucks.  Next draft can we please, pretty please, draft an offensive lineman that played guard and will continue to do so in the NFL?  Enough with tackle only olineman.  As Rodgers ages (and/or he loses mobility when injuries hit) the team needs more of a physical force in that interior.

- Muhammad Wilkerson’s ankle injury hurts big-time.  He looked really solid early on and now that’s just one more body offensive coordinators can send at Daniels, Clark, and the pass-rushers.  Arggh!  That injury may expose a lack of depth in the front 7 overall.  I hope not, but it’s a real possibility.

- Kentrell Brice had a rough day.  Related - Is Jones a bust?  The safety spot is stocked full with available veteran options, but how long until the Pack makes a move?  Eric Reid would be a significant upgrade at safety right now.  It’s clearly a problem.

One more thing…the call on Clay Matthews was a joke.  The NFL calls Fox Sports to say it was the correct call within minutes?  Please.  The league is absolutely in double-down mode, and (unlike past rules non-sense) it appears most fans are now paying attention to the man behind the curtain of the NFL’s “nothing to see here” Wizard of Oz act.  Screw them.  That said, that call was bad but (unlike week 2) didn’t cost the Packers a win.  The Packers played like total crap yesterday and got their collective backsides handed to them.  They’ve now got three weeks to right the ship or we may be looking at another lost season as Aaron Rodgers Super Bowl window slips away.
you've nailed it! especially the bolded comments..Jones should be a 100 yard rusher in each of the next 3 weeks, no ifs ands or buts..give him the @!$!@# ball already!

McCarthy needs to go , it's like Coughlin last couple years at NYG..time for a change..

With Gute as GM I guess we get to enjoy the fun and excitement (?) of signing random free agents all year long like other teams now. I'm still not used to it.

This is why, in previous years, every Packers media outlet would feature like a full page about Ricky Jean Francois's Dunkin Donuts franchises or whatever dumb thing. There were never any new players so it was hard to find new stuff to write about.

Surprised no one has posted this, it's kind of old news, but I think it helps the team:

House to IR and GB signs CB Breeland. Was considered the #2 FA CB before he hurt himself in a weird offseason accident. 

I know I won't miss House blowing coverage, and Breeland has 4 years of starting experience. Got to think this is a good signing. 

Surprised no one has posted this, it's kind of old news, but I think it helps the team:

House to IR and GB signs CB Breeland. Was considered the #2 FA CB before he hurt himself in a weird offseason accident. 

I know I won't miss House blowing coverage, and Breeland has 4 years of starting experience. Got to think this is a good signing. 
Seems like a great signing.  Wish that Wilkerson was still healthy.  But either way, Breeland should be a meaningful upgrade over House.

Yeah...he has got to be better than House has been.

They need King healthy...

Brice needs to mature very quickly.  We have given up Burnett and Hyde in recent years to elevate this kid back there and he has made big mistakes that have cost them.  Hell, Randall seems to be playing ok at safety for Cleveland as nuts as that sounds.

Clark, Lowry, and Daniels better step up.

Breaking news, Clay Matthews just got flagged for roughing the passer in the Bills game. The penalty will be assessed on the opening kickoff.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/27/competition-committee-no-changes-to-roughing-rule-or-emphasis/

Love that the NFL is just fundamentally incapable of admitting a mistake.  It's noteworthy that none of the Clay Mathews hits are being included in either side of the videos being used to clarify intent of the rule.    It's also amusing that the NFL is amplifying a sound bite about how the "putting a defender's weight on the QB" provision has been around since 1995.   I'm sure that provision has been applied consistently for that entire 23-year window, inclusive of this season.

What a bunch of clowns.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/27/competition-committee-no-changes-to-roughing-rule-or-emphasis/

Love that the NFL is just fundamentally incapable of admitting a mistake.  It's noteworthy that none of the Clay Mathews hits are being included in either side of the videos being used to clarify intent of the rule.    It's also amusing that the NFL is amplifying a sound bite about how the "putting a defender's weight on the QB" provision has been around since 1995.   I'm sure that provision has been applied consistently for that entire 23-year window, inclusive of this season.

What a bunch of clowns.
Agreed.  Sadly, I've been in these kinds of management by committee meetings.  5 brains join together to simulate half a brain.

Concepts like a catch, spearing, and driving a QB into the ground are easy to define without over-officiating but these marketing wizards can't manage it.

I often wonder just how profitable the league could actually be if it wasn't run by a collection of buffoons.

What a bunch of clowns.
Also love the fact that Matthews said today that he was not fined for the hit on Smith. So that's 3 roughing the passer calls on Clay and not a single fine.

Sam Shields looked really good last night for the Rams.   His speed is still there, and I had forgotten how rangy he is.  Dude almost picked a couple throws.  Hope he stays healthy and doesn't have any further concussion issues.  He was a big part of our success and Super Bowl win.  Nice to see him healthy.

I thought the complete opposite. He got burned multiple times trying to jump routes. It gave me flash backs of him getting roasted by average WRs as a Packer.

The Vikings got lucky Talib was out last night. If the Rams had both staring CBs it would have been a different game. Glad to see the Vikings imploding and Zimmer about to lose his mind with the defense last night.

I thought the complete opposite. He got burned multiple times trying to jump routes. It gave me flash backs of him getting roasted by average WRs as a Packer.

The Vikings got lucky Talib was out last night. If the Rams had both staring CBs it would have been a different game. Glad to see the Vikings imploding and Zimmer about to lose his mind with the defense last night.
That's just rust. As well as.....his short area quickness isn't what it used to be.  But he belongs on the field - he almost had 2 picks.

Love seeing the Vikings get crushed.   But also realize that we will probably get blown out by 30 when we play the Rams next month.

I saw this too. I thought he looked like the same old Sam Shields. Missing arm tackles and getting burned. 

Well, the whole defense got burned a lot.  Marcus Peters - admittedly injured - got burned the entire first half repeatedly.
I just recall seeing Sam Shields falling to the ground as Thielen scored (I think), and then again he missed a wide open tackle on one of MIN's last drives. Sam old Sam Sheilds giving up a lot. Yes, that defense got burned a lot, but at times I felt like I was watching a Dom Capers defense- everyone open in the middle of the field. I wouldn't say he made any plays that made me think he had a good game. 

I just recall seeing Sam Shields falling to the ground as Thielen scored (I think), and then again he missed a wide open tackle on one of MIN's last drives. Sam old Sam Sheilds giving up a lot. Yes, that defense got burned a lot, but at times I felt like I was watching a Dom Capers defense- everyone open in the middle of the field. I wouldn't say he made any plays that made me think he had a good game. 
I'm not trying to be argumentative - he definitely missed tackles and let Thielen get open.  But did you see his 2 near-INTs?  Those were solid plays.  One just happened to deflect up so that Diggs got a lucky catch.  So to say he didn't make any plays.....is strange to me.   Again, that doesn't mean he played perfectly.....

I'm not trying to be argumentative - he definitely missed tackles and let Thielen get open.  But did you see his 2 near-INTs?  Those were solid plays.  One just happened to deflect up so that Diggs got a lucky catch.  So to say he didn't make any plays.....is strange to me.   Again, that doesn't mean he played perfectly.....
Yeah he seemed to have a knack for the ball. 
I will agree, it's nice to see him playing again when his career seemed over. Came from nothing and had some significant success in his career. And now he's in line to win another superbowl ring. 

I love his attitude, cause he is spot on. I watched that game and of course happy with a win. But I was telling my son, if that had been a lot of other teams it would have been a very tight game with a potential for a loss. They need to change the RB snap split for one thing, Jones needs to get like 60% and Williams and Montgomery 20% each. Rodgers was not sharp at all, he missed Adams wide open on a short in slant, should have definitely had 2 picks and one a pick 6. 

Its only going to get harder from here, hopefully we play better on offense. The defense looked great and that is a rare thing to say for the Packers, but we were also playing a rookie QB and Buffalo doesn’t have a bunch of wr’ers that can threaten anyone, except the Vikings lol. 

I agree the post game remarks seemed odd.  As Claymaker said above I think Rodgers understands if that was against a playoff team it may have been a loss.   I also think Rodgers is frustrated with the young WRs and the TE's.  

On the positive side Rodgers seemed to move better this game and didn't looks as limited.  Nice to see the defense shut down a team with very little talent on offense.

Rodgers can be mad at McCarthy's play calling but he missed several easy throws and threw 2 picks (and should have had a pick 6). WRs continued to drop balls. None of that is McCarhty's fault. The offense and Rodgers need to look in the mirror.

And Go Brewers!

Rodgers can be mad at McCarthy's play calling but he missed several easy throws and threw 2 picks (and should have had a pick 6). WRs continued to drop balls. None of that is McCarhty's fault. The offense and Rodgers need to look in the mirror.

And Go Brewers!
I watched Rodgers full presser, not that it was that long. But he seemed as agitated at himself as he was at anyone else. I have always felt Rodgers, if he plays poorly accepts his blame and generally is quick to point it out. To me he just seemed pissed at the whole performance. 

Trubisky has 1 score less this week than Rodgers has all season and more all season...Trubisky. Yup, that guy, a rookie almost no one talked good about before this week. Its not like the Packers are dominating and they should be with what they are paying Rodgers. Not going to be popular, but is it possible ARod cares more about endorsements at this stage in his career. He goes into Detroit and plays that way, they will lose.

Rodgers needs to come out and blow up in performance or that contract is a waste, I dont care what he has done up to now, that doesnt matter, now matters and he is not playing well. Missing a lot of WRs, his pick was a tip drill but still, Rodgers needs to play better like his contract warrants, not every team is the Bills.

Rodgers Through a quarter of the season is 13th in pass yards and 17th in pass TDs - Trubisky, Flacco, Dalton and even Fitz who got pulled yesterday has more. Is that worth all that money?

Last edited by a moderator:
Trubisky has 1 score less this week than Rodgers has all season and more all season...Trubisky. Yup, that guy, a rookie almost no one talked good about before this week. Its not like the Packers are dominating and they should be with what they are paying Rodgers. Not going to be popular, but is it possible ARod cares more about endorsements at this stage in his career. He goes into Detroit and plays that way, they will lose.

Rodgers needs to come out and blow up in performance or that contract is a waste, I dont care what he has done up to now, that doesnt matter, now matters and he is not playing well. Missing a lot of WRs, his pick was a tip drill but still, Rodgers needs to play better like his contract warrants, not every team is the Bills.

Rodgers Through a quarter of the season is 13th in pass yards and 17th in pass TDs - Trubisky, Flacco, Dalton and even Fitz who got pulled yesterday has more. Is that worth all that money?
That's some good fishing tackle you have there.

Not a packer fan or owner but as an outside observer, this is crazy to me.  He is effectively playing on one leg, and if he only cared about endorsements I don’t think he’d be grinding through this.  

Thoughts on the game...I mean, it wasn't Trubisky beating up the Bucs...but a win none the less (btw, how did ol Mitch do against GB and a one legged Rodgers?)

Sloppy offensive performance.  I think Rodgers' frustration is correct...whether at himself, WRs (he seemed very pissed at MVS...reffered to as 83 in the presser), or at McCarthy.  And seemingly blame all around.  The flow was awful, the insistence on going back to Williams over and over again when Montgomery and Jones are clearly better, quick passes in the first half leading to a good flow followed by a second half again trying to go deep leading to stalled drives.  Rodgers was off on quite a few passes during the day...just all of it seemed off.  And yet, they still win easily.  But yeah, it was a game that should have been a 30 point output blowout type.

Aaron Jones and Ty as I said about should be getting the ball more.  Both look far more explosive and bigger weapons than Williams.  

Geronimo...a few tough drops...but he seems settled in to a nice role.  Good to see him fighting off the young talent behind him.

Davante has such nice moves after the catch.

D...nice game all around.  I mean, yeah, the Bills and a rookie QB.  But forced pressure and some bad throws...sacks and a week we aren't talking about an awful roughing the passer call.  They even pointed out on the sack from Morrison how he moved to the side to make sure he didn't get called for it.

Even with that said...Pettine may be an improvement over Capers...but I don't know yet.  So many times the D seems to passive and Capers like.  While they got pressure...there are still so many times where there just isn't any real push....and dang we still let TEs wide open for big chunks sometimes.

Its a win...and with the NFL admitting they screwed up on the Cousins roughing call finally...nice to see the team really at 3-1. 

Allison dropped at least two balls, and Graham at least one.  When your q.b. is wounded you just might want to concentrate a bit more.

Bears are on top of the division for the second week in a row.  That has not happened in some time.

Vikings have not won since week 1.

On Montgomery's long reception I noticed that Graham and Adams were both open as well.  How long has it been since the Packers had three options open on a passing play?  last year they had trouble getting separation all year long. 

Jones runs hard.  get him more involved.

I watched the Raiders/Browns, it was interesting to watch our ex-players and how they did.

MM and his RB series rotation is "flowless". My guess is that is what Rodgers is eluding to. RB's need to get into a flow and they aren't able to do that when they get two series off. It was interesting that Jones came back in after his TD series (his balance is just  :shock: ), Rodgers threw a pick, Defense stops then it's back to the Williams grind again. That has to be a little de-motivating for Jones and difficult for the rest of the offense to get into a rhythm.  :shrug: We'll take the W and move on.....

Allison dropped at least two balls, and Graham at least one.  When your q.b. is wounded you just might want to concentrate a bit more.

Bears are on top of the division for the second week in a row.  That has not happened in some time.

Vikings have not won since week 1.

On Montgomery's long reception I noticed that Graham and Adams were both open as well.  How long has it been since the Packers had three options open on a passing play?  last year they had trouble getting separation all year long. 

Jones runs hard.  get him more involved.

I watched the Raiders/Browns, it was interesting to watch our ex-players and how they did.
Randall made a couple plays (nice one to  prevent a Jordy TD) but then got beat by Cook on the tying TD.

News apparently moving on from the Rodgers/McCarthy rift to Danica not getting a she-shed at Rodgers place.

My favorite comment on it ive seen is Rodgers is worried she would wreck it.

Who are you guys most likely to trot out at WR this weekend?

Sounds like Adams will likely play, Allison on the better side of 50/50 to clear the protocol, and Cobb out, which resulted in MV-S getting snaps. Any of the other WR likely to play an expanded role here, or will Ty Montgomery be utilized in a more Swiss Army Knife aspect @ Lions on Sunday?

Going to ask GB if they want me to try out at WR.  I may be old, fat, slow, and bald but I’ve still got some moves and great hands.

Sounds like Adams will likely play, Allison on the better side of 50/50 to clear the protocol, and Cobb out, which resulted in MV-S getting snaps. Any of the other WR likely to play an expanded role here, or will Ty Montgomery be utilized in a more Swiss Army Knife aspect @ Lions on Sunday?
Probably, Adams, Allison and MVS (Will get the other Lions share), Ty is good around the LOS, but can’t catch a pass more than 10 yards downfield. Maybe EQ or Moore will get some looks this weekend. 

nittanylion said:

I am starting MVS in both of my dynasty leagues. both are rebuilding, one is tied for 1st in the division and I play the other leader, so enough on the line. 

In my complete rebuild league I'm also starting Moore because I have to. 

I do think both could have nice games. MVS for sure. Moore is wishful thinking. 

Wasn't McCarthy quoted as saying Adams would practice on Saturday?

Not a peep today that I can find. Nothing on Adams. Nothing on Allison.

Odd.

Adams looked fine, maybe it was Crosby that had a calf injury. Remember a few years ago when Crosby had that crazy season and he sucked so bad? Let’s hope he’s not relapsing. 

I still hate the tie to Minny worse than that loss today. 

I understand Detroit is sending Crosby a bill for the upright.  Apparently all of the clanking of kicks off of it damaged it and it needs replacing.

This is an undisciplined team.

Very unclear why their third best back gets most of the play.

Aaron, play on time and on schedule, Dip####.  You have fallen for your own myth.

First half was a screw up all around.

Coaching, Rodgers, Defense, Crosby...all of it.

2nd half obviously looked much better.  But where is all this coming out of the gates.  Twice now Chicago and Detroit (lets not act like Rodgers was doing anything against Chicago before he got hurt).

Rodgers looked bad in the first half.  Off on throws, late on things, no feel of the pressure from behind. Stepped into the rush more than around and avoiding it like he usually does...it was just piss poor

Some of that too is MM.  Hey, Aaron feels a little bit better, I guess we don't need the short passing game, lets try 7 step drops and holding the ball for long pass patterns to develop again.  I won't get on him about RB use yesterday for a few reasons.  Williams actually ran hard and effective early.  He was pushing ahead, no big broken gains...but was still running well and effectively.  Jones came in with his burst and did well.  But then we end up down 24 and it was no huddle time...which apparently means Ty Montgomery.  Do we even know how Jones performs in that situation? Perhaps he has not grasped that as well in practice so they put in Montgomery.  Who knows.  I didn't find yesterday's usage all that bad.

I won't give the defense too much crap yesterday...short fields from turnovers didn't help.  But those deep balls were bad...and several times they seemed to give up with the ball in the air.  The one big play to Golladay, Jackson actually ran with him well, was in great position to pick it off even.  Seemed to stumble a bit as he went up for the ball..I will give him credit as he is the one who got back into the play to make the tackle after HaHa got stiff armed.

I said it in the game thread yesterday, and a few weeks ago in the Pitt thread when Vance McDonald had the big stiff arm...it seems odd that a WR can grab a facemask and shove the defender away...but even while his own facemask is being grabbed he tries to make the tackle and gets the receiver's facemask, its 15 against the defender.  I think that rule needs to change to not allow guys stiff arming people to the head.  Defenders should have the same protection.

On the punt that started the Lions scoring, they recovered the ball at the goal line. I think it’s williams is like right next to the play watching it and clearly must see or hear the ball hit King (I think) in the back or leg, but has no reaction. Like I think he should have tried to get the ball but he sorta just watches it bounce away. I watched it a couple times, just feel he should have made a better effort to recover the ball. 

On the punt that started the Lions scoring, they recovered the ball at the goal line. I think it’s williams is like right next to the play watching it and clearly must see or hear the ball hit King (I think) in the back or leg, but has no reaction. Like I think he should have tried to get the ball but he sorta just watches it bounce away. I watched it a couple times, just feel he should have made a better effort to recover the ball. 
I think...wonder if they are taught it coached to not react unless it’s obvious.  Because of it doesn’t hit anyone and he dives in...he then could give Detroit the ball.  I did have a similar thought though.

And I still haven’t seen a shot where it hits King and not the defenders arm.

I think...wonder if they are taught it coached to not react unless it’s obvious.  Because of it doesn’t hit anyone and he dives in...he then could give Detroit the ball.  I did have a similar thought though.

And I still haven’t seen a shot where it hits King and not the defenders arm.
Yeah, agree on the touch Sho, that may also be why Williams doesn’t react, cause it didn’t hit a Packer player. 

Users who are viewing this thread